TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SVT boosts Ford's image

I do agree that SVT boosts Ford's image a lot. They have a much higher level of visibility than the GM or DCX equivalents. The press certainly raves about most anything with those shiny chrome letters on it.

What I don't agree with is the idea that SVT buyers are treated special, that Ford wants us to feel like "family". I was given that kind of a sales pitch when I was shopping in 1999. I ended up buying an SVT Contour. Although I have enjoyed driving the car immensely, the fact is when I have had problems the 800 # to SVT, the dealers (selling dealer, one other Ford dealer, one LM dealer), Ford Customer Care... nobody was interested in making things right. All they cared about was getting rid of me. The car has truly been an extreme love/hate relationship: when its running properly, I love the handling, style, power. But its repair $$$ has been high, and no I'm not abusive. I'm talking about sensors failing, IACs, bushings and links, and on and on and on. I could literally write pages of horror stories of problems with this car, and dealer service.

Had Ford treated me like FAMILY and fixed each issue, completely, professionally, they would have won me on customer service. As it is, the product quality was below par AND their customer service was lousy too. I doubt I'll be back in line for another Ford.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny I still have a special relationship with the people at the dealership. But they tell me that they don't have that with most of the 03/04 people because those owners don't really want that sort of experiance. My salesman said he is seeing a very high rollover rate on that series SVT because people were somehow mislead as to what they were buying. The young kids

know that COBRA's and other SVT is good stuff, but the people who have 55-60k are not going to be shopping this car. Just us hardcore folks who just what we want. Gord thinks that they will sell everyone they can get. But they will also see most of them back in a year or so. Some people are buying image not lifestyle which is different for SVT vice say a C class Benz or a Hummer. Image fades to the next great thing but SVT track day's and pride of place on a service visit are lifestyle things.

Agreed that this is something that many people do not care about and will probably trade in the car for a more "refined" vehicle. I will prefer to keep that relationship going ... and the car until my wheel chair prohibits me.

:blink:

Archived