TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Road Track Experience

jwhite1967

I had pre-registered to run at Hallett during the Mid America show. Even though the weather wasn't the best (rainy) we still made a day of it. Since it was my first time on a track I ran in group three for street cars and novice drivers. We drove with a pace car and no passing was allowed. We had a great time and got to experience the course but at controlled speed.

I hadn't pre-registered for Saturday but decided to go again. Am I glad I did. There were only about 50 cars and they allowed passing in all groups. I again ran in group three. The great thing about Saturday was they had instructors who would ride with you or if you wanted them to they would drive your car with you as a passenger. I did both. The instructors talked you through the course explaining what to do the whole way. I later let the instructor drive my car and we went out in group 1. Was I impressed with what he could do with a car and I might add he was impressed with the SGT. He really showed me what the car was capable of doing even though I can't make it do what he did. The SGT was made to drive on the road course. He had driven a 500 before mine and he really liked what the SGT could do. If you haven't taken the opportunity to take your car to the track do yourself a favor and do it as soon as you can.

Good racing

John

I had pre-registered to run at Hallett during the Mid America show. Even though the weather wasn't the best (rainy) we still made a day of it. Since it was my first time on a track I ran in group three for street cars and novice drivers. We drove with a pace car and no passing was allowed. We had a great time and got to experience the course but at controlled speed.

I hadn't pre-registered for Saturday but decided to go again. Am I glad I did. There were only about 50 cars and they allowed passing in all groups. I again ran in group three. The great thing about Saturday was they had instructors who would ride with you or if you wanted them to they would drive your car with you as a passenger. I did both. The instructors talked you through the course explaining what to do the whole way. I later let the instructor drive my car and we went out in group 1. Was I impressed with what he could do with a car and I might add he was impressed with the SGT. He really showed me what the car was capable of doing even though I can't make it do what he did. The SGT was made to drive on the road course. He had driven a 500 before mine and he really liked what the SGT could do. If you haven't taken the opportunity to take your car to the track do yourself a favor and do it as soon as you can.

Good racing

John

John,

I think Dell with the SVTOA up in Oklahoma City is planning on having another Lone Star Roundup at Texas World Speedway in College Station next March. If you can make it down for it, it's worth it - an instructor can ride along with you all weekend (2 days with about 4 track sessions each at 20 - 30 minutes per session). Having an instructor drive your car with you riding shotgun is a great way to experience just how far you can push these cars. If you're not sure you want to drive all the way down to College Station (Sprint200 can tell you what the drive from Oklahoma is like), Dell can probably tell you where and when you can get some more track time closer to where you are. Dell is on this forum and his user name is dellcobra.

Matt

Good racing

John

I ran my car at in the driving school on Wed and again on Saturday in group 3. I think you were hot on my heals in a few runs towards the end of the day. If anyone has not taken the car to a track day I recomend that you do it. It is fun and you learn so much about your car.

Adam

Adam

I'm not sure it was me on your heals. There were 3 black SGT's on Saturday. Were you driving a white SGT? I was glued to the bumper of a white 500 but he wouldn't wave me by.

I was in a black SGT with the silver meatballs on the side with #3670 on them.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Archived