TEAM SHELBY FORUM

supercharged

Burr

I installed the paxton supercharger from Shelby with the intercooler on my 07 Shelby GT automatic. It came with Diablo Predator tuning. Haven't had it on a dyno yet. Question is how much power are some of you seeing on this setup and how much is their to gain with more tuning?

bmws54m@msn.com

I installed the paxton supercharger from Shelby with the intercooler on my 07 Shelby GT automatic. It came with Diablo Predator tuning. Haven't had it on a dyno yet. Question is how much power are some of you seeing on this setup and how much is their to gain with more tuning?

bmws54m@msn.com

I have the nearly idential Vortech supercharger. Paxton & Vortech are basically identical head units and plumbing, just different name brands. Mine is not intercooled and is on a 2007 GT automatic. Vortech and Paxton advertised 420 hp at the crank which is about 350 rwhp (non-intercooled). The Vortech supplied tune (Predator, just like yours), was really tame and I've been able to squeeze another 30 hp or so out of it with just simple adjustments. I'm waiting for a dyno day to get it perfected and optimized, which could probably net about 400 rwhp safely.

The intercooled Vortech and Paxton units are advertised at about 470 hp at the crank with is about 395 rwhp. However, TS member RUF, has the Vortech intercooled model that's putting down 460 rwhp with dyno tuning, so there is obviously a lot more horsepower that can be tuned in.

Definitely worth having it dyno tuned!

The #1, very first thing that you should do is 86 the Diablo tune and replace it with a SCT tune (you too Five oh). The Diablo is NOT a good tune for the car and can actually cause damage to your engine in the long run.

If you don't believe me, check with any Mustang tuner shop in your area and they will verify the same. The 07' SGTSC automatic you see in my signature has been dynoed at 510 crank H.P., and anything beyond that H.P. requires installing forged internals or you risk blowing the bottom end of the engine apart.

The Diablo is shipped with all Paxton/Vortech SC packages, and it's unknown why considering how bad that tune is for the 4.6 engine. It's so bad that my tuner guy could not even get a baseline pull with it so I could have a comparison between the two tunes.

I also recommend that you stay away from WOT until you change the tune over to a SCT.

so, can you let us know what the supercharger does to you gas mileage? just curious!

I can let you know what it is on the road when you stay out of the boost and you don't push it to the floor.

I installed the package in Toledo, Ohio at a friends 280 miles from home. We drove it around his place a few miles after installing to see if their were and bugs that needed attention before I left for home. I filled the tank and left for home. I flowed with traffic anywhere from 60 80 mph. I stayed out of the boost pretty much. Got home on the same tank of fuel at 24mpg.

I can let you know what it is on the road when you stay out of the boost and you don't push it to the floor.

I installed the package in Toledo, Ohio at a friends 280 miles from home. We drove it around his place a few miles after installing to see if their were and bugs that needed attention before I left for home. I filled the tank and left for home. I flowed with traffic anywhere from 60 80 mph. I stayed out of the boost pretty much. Got home on the same tank of fuel at 24mpg.

Man!!! 24MPG??? My SGT is all stock and I do not get 24MPG....maybe I should try to over rev showing off the exhaust note :happy feet:

The #1, very first thing that you should do is 86 the Diablo tune and replace it with a SCT tune (you too Five oh). The Diablo is NOT a good tune for the car and can actually cause damage to your engine in the long run.

Good info...thnx

Just rec'd a rough estimate from Dennis at Tasca..........

To have a polished Paxton installed with GT/SC side stripes you are looking to be around $7600.00. That includes a dyno sheet with RWHP.

so now I gotta start savin'

:)

If you don't believe me, check with any Mustang tuner shop in your area and they will verify the same. The 07' SGTSC automatic you see in my signature has been dynoed at 510 crank H.P., and anything beyond that H.P. requires installing forged internals or you risk blowing the bottom end of the engine apart.

The Diablo is shipped with all Paxton/Vortech SC packages, and it's unknown why considering how bad that tune is for the 4.6 engine. It's so bad that my tuner guy could not even get a baseline pull with it so I could have a comparison between the two tunes.

I also recommend that you stay away from WOT until you change the tune over to a SCT.

I don't understand what you're recommending. Does SCT allow better programming than a Diablo somehow? They can both alter fuel trims and spark, as well as myriad other parameters, so how is the SCT different than a Diablo tuner?

If you are simply referring to the junk tune that is sent with the blowers, then you are right. I'm not using the tune they sent me (I 86'd it after a couple days as it was pinging and running a bit rough). I am still using a Diablo tuner (my old one that I bought prior to the blower), but I have heavily modified the tune with plenty of fuel to cure any pinging at any load, while retaining enough spark to keep tip-in and torque in check. I've got the tune set a little on the rich side to be safe, and look forward to my day at the dyno shop for better tuning than I've done so far.

Archived