TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lower Billet Grill Picture

Well Done! Did you use nut and bolt or rivets?

I used Rivets, did it by myself. Not hard. I did not use the Pre-drilled holes, I drilled my own while I held it in place with long Zip-ties. It fits pretty snug so after I got it in place it stayed, I only had to pull forward on the Zip ties when I was drilling obviously.

looks good.

i wonder how a black one would look

I was torn between black and Chrome, I did not want the lower grille to take away from the upper or to be to much.

I am very happy with my purchase, because it is set back it does not do either, it looks like it should have came from the factory that way.

I think the black would look better if you have the black upper grill. I prefer the chrome billett lower if you retain the chrome billett upper from the factory. I also have one. I am going to wait until I have the lower light kit and brake kit before I do the install. Or wait a long time and have it done when I eventually have the supercharger. I figure they will have to tear all of it out to install the intercooler. And yes it will be years before the SC.

A black lower grill looks like this

stillen.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture. Clearly better to see it than dream about it. Always thought the black would look better to close the opening and stop stones from hitting the radiator.

Sets my goal to do this soon. I will probably opt for the lower light kit rather than the upper lights you have.

Looks great.

Tom

just recieved my lower grill insert today.

dont know if i'll install it or have Ford do it.

i noticed the lower grill insert only has 2 predrilled holes? where are the other 2? :redcard:

i'll have to get a rivet gun if i use rivets. hmm... bolts or rivets? i know its looks easy to do but how do u guys get your power drills behind the bumper or do u just take a guess and drill a hole through the fascia from the front and hope to hit the grill insert's bracket ends? :idea:

Here is another with a CLEAN front bumper..........

2dvvps.jpg

Okay...That's it! I've seen enough! This is just too cool.

Someone please post the correct SPP part number for the polished lower grill, and I'm ordering one ASAP. If I can't do the install myself due to my medical condition, I'll take it to someone who can. I can't wait anymore!

Thanks, y'all be safe.

EDIT: Nevermind my SPP part number request, I think I found it. If it's FD-GRILL-270-02, I am set. If it's not, please post the correct number?

Thanks again.

i noticed the lower grill insert only has 2 predrilled holes? where are the other 2? :redcard:

i'll have to get a rivet gun if i use rivets. hmm... bolts or rivets? i know its looks easy to do but how do u guys get your power drills behind the bumper or do u just take a guess and drill a hole through the fascia from the front and hope to hit the grill insert's bracket ends? :idea:

Do not take it to Ford, I did it myself. I bought a rivet gun from Home Depot that swivels, it was not that hard. I did not use any of the pre-drilled holes, to your point it would be almost impossible to. I drilled fresh holes from the front all the way through. I used long zip ties to hold the grill while I let the drill do the work. It was not hard, with 2 people it would be a breeze. I did drive the car on 2X12's to get better access. Let me know if you have any questions.

Someone please post the correct SPP part number for the polished lower grill, and I'm ordering one ASAP. If I can't do the install myself due to my medical condition, I'll take it to someone who can. I can't wait anymore!

Thanks, y'all be safe.

EDIT: Nevermind my SPP part number request, I think I found it. If it's FD-GRILL-270-02, I am set. If it's not, please post the correct number?

Thanks again.

Here is the billet grille insert that I installed. IMHO this is the best thing to add...

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...e%20Insert.aspx

lowergrille.jpg

Dan

Thanks, y'all be safe.

Thanks again.

See what a clean picture does, I must admit it does look a lot better in this picture. The lighting was better and the car is actually clean. If you lived in my area I would certainly put it on for you, you must live near someone on this forum.

This thread might help you with your install.

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...ic=25352&hl=

post-13205-1213679298.jpg

I used the Black Lower Grill on my Vista Blue 08 SGT conv. It blends perfectly with the rest of the lower pieces and chin.

I installed it with screws and lock washers/nuts so that I could remove it later to install the lower driving light kit. I also had to redrill new holes in the lower grill before installing as mine only came with two hole drilled in the first place, but too far out on the edge to be solid attachment point anyway.

Either way, black or chrome, you can't go wrong.

post-13205-1213679298.jpg

SGT_Black_Grill2.jpg

I used the Black Lower Grill on my Vista Blue 08 SGT conv. It blends perfectly with the rest of the lower pieces and chin.

I installed it with screws and lock washers/nuts so that I could remove it later to install the lower driving light kit. I also had to redrill new holes in the lower grill before installing as mine only came with two hole drilled in the first place, but too far out on the edge to be solid attachment point anyway.

Either way, black or chrome, you can't go wrong.

AndyGJ,

Really looks great!! Sold me on the Black but I have a couple questions.

Was the grill part number FD-Grill-270-03?

Picture is SPP shows C shaped ends but your picture does not show that. Does that detail go behind the little ridged details at the end? Appears it is meant as clearance for the Lower Driving light and brake duct kit. If you have that C shape could you estimate an approximate radius? Keith at SPP said they were out and could not give any detail.

Thanks for any help you can send.

Tom

AndyGJ,

Picture is SPP shows C shaped ends but your picture does not show that. Does that detail go behind the little ridged details at the end? Appears it is meant as clearance for the Lower Driving light and brake duct kit. If you have that C shape could you estimate an approximate radius? Keith at SPP said they were out and could not give any detail.

Tom

Here is a pic of mine from the back side. The radius of the "C" is almost as wide as the grille itself, as you can see.

Grillewelds01.jpg

AndyGJ,

Tom

Actually, the c shape goes behind the solid panel that is behind the ridged details at the end on the lower grill opening...those actually pull off as they are just pushed through the bumper cover. When we finally DO get the Brake Duct/Driving Light kit, we'll have to cut some of that solid piece away back there in order to fit the ducts/lights in there...hopefully SPP will provide some instructions on that part of it for us do-it-yourselfer's!!! If you are going to put a lower grill in, may I suggest that you use some blue painter's tape all along the bottom of the lower bumper before you start drilling, otherwise, you're bound to scratch the paint or the black part with the drill....better to be safe than sorry...GRABBER did an excellent write up and photos of the install of the lower grill on his wife's GT/CS a while back...

here is the link to Grabber's install on his wife's GT/CS and he did a GREAT job!!!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...;hl=lower+grill

Did mine today, it was very easy insall. A big thanks goes out to Grabber for his step-by-step thread. The only thing I did different was to use a couple of mini C-clamps that I have to hold it in place while I drilled the four holes. I went with stainless steel hardware instead of rivets because I plan on installing the brake ducts and driving lights down the road and I'd rather not have to drill out the rivets.

Archived