TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Flaw in paint

jp1gt

I finally detailed my sgt conv, and I notiticed some flaws on BOTH sides of the car, behind the door. Take a look, have you seen this before and is this a Shelby problem to take care of?? It is on the front edge of the side scoop, in the center

post-20549-1213414043.jpg

post-20549-1213414172.jpg

post-20549-1213414232.jpg

post-20549-1213414043.jpg

post-20549-1213414172.jpg

post-20549-1213414232.jpg

I finally detailed my sgt conv, and I notiticed some flaws on BOTH sides of the car, behind the door. Take a look, have you seen this before and is this a Shelby problem to take care of?? It is on the front edge of the side scoop, in the center

I had the same issue on the left side and had the dealesship replace under warenty. I believe it is a ford issue not a Shelby issue. I had a blemish on my front bumber and they are replaceing the entire apron no question.

Good Luck

These items are installed, and painted, at Ford not Shelby. Regardless, if you have a concern, take it to your dealer and see if it's covered under the warranty. The same procedure for Shelby item or a Ford item is simply to take it to your dealer and let them determine where the coverage comes from. To you, as the customer, it's the same....no need for you to figure out who is on the hook for what. Don't wait because they might reject something like this as wear and tear etc.

I'm going through somthing similar right now.If it is an obvious paint flaw you cannot be denied.if it is a delivery,Or something missed on check in like a scratch or blemish on the paint,You have seven days to bring it to their attention,After that you are on your own.

My .02

The leading edge of the side scoops are prone to chipping. My 04 Cobra had them and it was a battle to get them done under warranty. Being that they stick out from the body pannel they are prone to chipping. Once I had mine repainted I used a small strip of 3M clear guard tape and did the edge. It really helped. When it began to look beat up, I replace the tape. It looks like a road chip to me. But that is by the picture you posted. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I'm going through somthing similar right now.If it is an obvious paint flaw you cannot be denied.if it is a delivery,Or something missed on check in like a scratch or blemish on the paint,You have seven days to bring it to their attention,After that you are on your own.

7 days to bring it to their attention??? Where did you hear that from?

Once you drive off the lot it is your problem and the dealer has to do nothing. This is assuming scratches and nicks.

If it is an obvious blemish in the paint warranty should take care of it.

But once you drive off and then come back later and say there is a scratch or nick in the paint, how do you know it was there when you drove off? How does the dealer know? You didn't see it before you drove off. The dealer didn't see it. So how does anyone know it was there or if it happened after driving off the lot? How does anyone know for sure?

Now most dealers would probably just fix it as a matter of good will. Warrany won't cover nicks and scratches. A blemish that is in the paint, yes. But actual nicks and scratches, no. So the dealer eats any cost on that and it just comes down to wether the dealer will do anything or not.

As for the pics above, the only thing I can see in the pic is the small nick right on the edge of the scoop. It doesn't look like it broke the paint and is just a nick on the edge. That could be from a small rock hitting it driving down the road, or something hit it at some point from the time the car was built, transported, sitting at the dealership, or after it left the lot. How can anyone know for certain? I would assume if the car was just purchased that the dealer would take care of that wether warranty will cover it or not. I know we would here. But if it is like several days later they may not because that could have happened anytime after it left the lot.

For future reference check your vehicles over carefully before driving away. Then point anything out to insure the dealer is aware of it and that they will fix it regardless.

I have the identical paint flaw on my left side scoop. The dealer agreed that it was a flaw in the paint but I haven't had it fixed yet. With my luck I'll end up with a bigger problem.

I had the same issue on the left side and had the dealesship replace under warenty. I believe it is a ford issue not a Shelby issue. I had a blemish on my front bumber and they are replaceing the entire apron no question.

Good Luck

Did your dealer replace the side scoop? My dealer wants the car for 3 or 4 days so they can remove, sand and repaint the exisitng part.

I called the dealership, and they said no problem that there is no time limit and because the flaw is in the same place on both sides, it had to come from the factory like that. I am glad that you guys responded to me, especially about putting the clear tape on it, I will keep you informed.----Jack

7 days to bring it to their attention??? Where did you hear that from?

Once you drive off the lot it is your problem and the dealer has to do nothing. This is assuming scratches and nicks.

If it is an obvious blemish in the paint warranty should take care of it.

But once you drive off and then come back later and say there is a scratch or nick in the paint, how do you know it was there when you drove off? How does the dealer know? You didn't see it before you drove off. The dealer didn't see it. So how does anyone know it was there or if it happened after driving off the lot? How does anyone know for sure?

Now most dealers would probably just fix it as a matter of good will. Warrany won't cover nicks and scratches. A blemish that is in the paint, yes. But actual nicks and scratches, no. So the dealer eats any cost on that and it just comes down to wether the dealer will do anything or not.

As for the pics above, the only thing I can see in the pic is the small nick right on the edge of the scoop. It doesn't look like it broke the paint and is just a nick on the edge. That could be from a small rock hitting it driving down the road, or something hit it at some point from the time the car was built, transported, sitting at the dealership, or after it left the lot. How can anyone know for certain? I would assume if the car was just purchased that the dealer would take care of that wether warranty will cover it or not. I know we would here. But if it is like several days later they may not because that could have happened anytime after it left the lot.

For future reference check your vehicles over carefully before driving away. Then point anything out to insure the dealer is aware of it and that they will fix it regardless.

The people that answer the 1-800 number at ford for warranty concerns told me this.

The people that answer the 1-800 number at ford for warranty concerns told me this.

I actually do value what you have posted as it is obviously true.I wouldn't expect Ford to fix things that could have happened after i left the dealership.That would be insane.My call to them concerned some things that were missed,How I'll never know,During check in or prep for sale.I got to look at my car at dusk and made the final purchase at night,Hello!,What was I thinking right!?The salesman followed me to the gas station where i pointed out some obviously missed items in the paint and he said it would be resolved without question.If it wasn't after 9pm I would have gone back to the dealer to see what could have been given in writing.Anyway,I called the Ford customer service line,Explained what had happened and they told me I had seven days to have the obvious paint problems that either occured during or after transit repaired.That did not include any factory defects that did not have a time frame like that.I may have been mis-informed,Happens all the time.They are working on my issues right now.I think! :hysterical:

I took the car to a local ford dealership, since I bought the car out of town, they took some pics, including that it only had 250 mi on it. This is a new thing with Ford, they have to take pics with a special camera that ford gave them. I told them that I went to the Shelby website and others had the same problem. I got a call next day, they said bring it in, it will take 3 days to fix. Thanks again for the help---Jack

Good deal Jack. Glad they are taking care of you. I can tell you that all of the Shelby GT's have the side scoops intstalled at Ford. They are also shrink wrapped to prevent nicks from other doors and transportaion damage. It just could be that it happened at the dealership when someone opened the door of an adjcent car. Who knows but glad it's working out for you. Keep us posted.

I don't want to beat this thing to death, but it is a flaw in the casting that was painted, not a chip. I just want to help others if they have any problems with Ford fixing the problem. I have a friend that does models and he said yep, it is where they broke it off the mold and did not finish it.

I got the vents fixed, no problem at the dealer, Jack is a happy camper! Again, thanks for all the help.

My wife found a paint flaw on our passenger door. A tiny dust particle was apparantly painted over and is embedded on the paint. It is hardly noticible but you can feel it to the touch. It came from Ford, not Shelby and we are not going to do anything about it. It is really tiny.

My wife found a paint flaw on our passenger door. A tiny dust particle was apparantly painted over and is embedded on the paint. It is hardly noticible but you can feel it to the touch. It came from Ford, not Shelby and we are not going to do anything about it. It is really tiny.

I had a few of these. Some were pretty BIG on the hood. It took the body shop all of 2 seconds to buff them out. Bring it into a GOOD body shop, not the dealer, and they may even do it for free.

Archived