TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has anyone experimented with a turbo system on these SGT vehicles? Just wondering, talking to some folks last night and they are saying that there are some good turbos out there that makes great low end power for the quarter-mile. Only thing is that I do not drag my SGT and in all honesty I wanted a SC just to get off of the line at the red light quick enough to the posted speed-limit and then back off, what do you folks think?

Their reason was also that Ford plans to put turbos in later cars and are dealing with turbos in their trucks so they were like there is a reason why turbos will be the way to go in the future.....I'm still not thrilled about turbos, I have yet to drive a turbo charged Mustang,all I know is how I like a twin scre SC and its whine.

Here are some suggestions that I was told to look at....http://turbochargedpower.com/ , http://www.ststurbo.com/home and http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/.

ShelbyHomestead011.jpg

Hey there,

Another couple of options for ya - we sell both the Granatelli single turbo system (they claim between 450 and 480 RWHP), and the Turbonetics single turbo system (at a claimed 550 RWHP).

Dont have either system on our web site yet - still working on that :)

Page

Has anyone experimented with a turbo system on these SGT vehicles? Just wondering, talking to some folks last night and they are saying that there are some good turbos out there that makes great low end power for the quarter-mile. Only thing is that I do not drag my SGT and in all honesty I wanted a SC just to get off of the line at the red light quick enough to the posted speed-limit and then back off, what do you folks think?

Their reason was also that Ford plans to put turbos in later cars and are dealing with turbos in their trucks so they were like there is a reason why turbos will be the way to go in the future.....I'm still not thrilled about turbos, I have yet to drive a turbo charged Mustang,all I know is how I like a twin scre SC and its whine.

Here are some suggestions that I was told to look at....http://turbochargedpower.com/ , http://www.ststurbo.com/home and http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/.

ShelbyHomestead011.jpg

Imo, it all depends what you're looking for. Unless you're planning a built-motor (which it sounds like you're definately not) to accommodate the larger hi-end boost potential of a turbo -- i.e. within the safe/practical limits of the SGT 3V -- a fixed displacement S/C is a much better choice, imo: instant grunt, broad/flat torque curve, etc.

A centrifugal S/C is also a good choice but, like a turbo, will not give you the low-end grunt of a twin-screw or roots type. Unlike a turbo, there's no exhaust plumbing to mess with. Packaged kits like the Paxton/Voortech SAI uses on the GT-SC is an example.

Still, a roots or twin-screw will give you the output and big torque curve (withing safe limits) best suited to 0-70/street fun, imo, with excellent daily driveability too. If you prefer to be more 'Sheby-correct' (so to speak) SAIs SGT centrifugal package is also good choice.

Just some thoughts since it all depends what you're looking for ;)

<edit:> I guess I was posting as the same time Page was ...

Hey there,

Another couple of options for ya - we sell both the Granatelli single turbo system (they claim between 450 and 480 RWHP), and the Turbonetics single turbo system (at a claimed 550 RWHP).

Dont have either system on our web site yet - still working on that :)

Page

Thanks,good to know. Have you driven turbo-charged Mustangs and if so what's your stand between the feeling,maintainence and ease of installation....I think 400-440 is what I will stick to....anyone knows what the max power that can safely be stressed on the stock engine....I know that any power adder such as Turbos or SCs puts our engines on borrowed time before it all goes to hell :rip:

Thanks,good to know. Have you driven turbo-charged Mustangs and if so what's your stand between the feeling,maintainence and ease of installation....I think 400-440 is what I will stick to....anyone knows what the max power that can safely be stressed on the stock engine....I know that any power adder such as Turbos or SCs puts our engines on borrowed time before it all goes to hell :rip:

I've heard the Paxton/Voortech packages dyno at 425-480rw (dep on tune/tuner) and there's a lot of those running around. FRP also sells the twin-screw kits with their canned-tunes at 400 and 500crank, so they apparently feel 425rw (500crank) is fairly safe too on the 3V. But, yeah, any power adder potentially shortens engine life. A switch to a full synthetic oil and high-flow FRPP filter will also help, imo.

Dan

Thanks,good to know. Have you driven turbo-charged Mustangs and if so what's your stand between the feeling,maintainence and ease of installation....I think 400-440 is what I will stick to....anyone knows what the max power that can safely be stressed on the stock engine....I know that any power adder such as Turbos or SCs puts our engines on borrowed time before it all goes to hell

Remember, Shelby has teamed up with Kenne Bell for the SGT and that package will bring 500 hp at the rear wheels (yes, at the rear wheels). You might want to check that out. Because you have an '07 SGT, you could go either with the Paxton, which is C.A.R.B. certified for 2007 (but not 2008) or the KB. I think a supercharger is the better choice at this point but, in the end, you will decide.

Jim

Does anyone know if the Kenne Bell for the SGT puts out 500HP at the wheels will our engine take it ? I assume at the least the drive shaft would need to be replaced with a one piece unit but what about the internals ? I thought I remembered someone saying that the 3V 4.6 was good for up to 500HP at the crank not the wheels.

Does anyone know if the Kenne Bell for the SGT puts out 500HP at the wheels will our engine take it ? I assume at the least the drive shaft would need to be replaced with a one piece unit but what about the internals ? I thought I remembered someone saying that the 3V 4.6 was good for up to 500HP at the crank not the wheels.

I have discussed this with SAI in detail. The SGT, in stock trim, will take the 500 hp@rw. Have I tested it on the street? No. For that, I would need my car back with the KB. ;) Soon, I am told. :yup:

Jim

I've spent some time building modular engines and working with power adders, but I am far from a professional builder. IMHO, this is an area where a consumer should think clearly about all side effects and complications involved in building power.

It's not hard to build up 500 RWHP, that's rather easy. It is hard keeping things together. Longevity of all drive train components will shorten, the wear and tear is brutal. Starting out with a brand new or nearly new automobile will buy you some time, however, depending on your driving habits, you will be repairing and replacing components you did not expect, and sooner than you expected.

The 4.6L-3V is a very stout engine, but it doesn't have forged internals. It wasn't designed to endure this push. Cast crank (not internally balanced), powered metal con rods, aluminum hypereutect formed pistons, etc., work well in stock applications and will endure quite a bit punishment. However, super/turbocharging/NOS push things to the edge of the abyss, and IMHO, 500 RWHP is standing at the edge. It's not a matter of "how much power" the engine can produce, rather a matter of "for how long".

RWHP and RWTQ indexes are produced on a test and tune tool called a dyno in the absence of real time resistance. Pushing the car down the road is quite another issue. Wind and road resistance push back against the drive train and components caught inbetween the two forces will snap. Moreover, high HP and TQ numbers earn bragging rights, but they are not a solid index for how fast the car will be on the pavement. IMHO again, yes you can build the power, but if you want to enjoy that for a longer period of time, tune back to 450 RWHP.

Remember...It is torque which moves the car, not HP. I have witnessed countless incidents where a lower RWHP/RWTQ car has eaten up the guy with the high numbers due to inattention to "torque leaks", so, if you want to go fast, don't just buy horsepower, build the whole car. This is why I think the SGT is such a delicious platform for power adders. Many of the torque leaks are addressed with stiffer suspension, manual tranny, and so on. Great place to start.

Just my .02C, carry on gents.

I agree with Lulu.

+/- 450rwHP, while not a magic-number/barrier in any sense, is a prudent self-imposed limit in the 3V -- maybe 425 with a fixed-displacement S/C that makes big torque down to 2500rpm. Low-end torque/grunt is great for acceleration but generates enhanced component stress ...especially important with non-forged internals. This is especially true if you plan on some 1/4-mile fun with slicks.

My understanding is that all modulars are internally balanced (whether cast or forged cranks) -- that's why the 4.6 uses only an external damper (same as the 5.4) not a damper-ballancer like the old 5.0/SBF family.

The forged powdered rods are quite strong for their size, especially on compression so they tend to take torque (high compressive loading) well. But the crank is cast. If pushing a 3V into the vicinity of 450rwHP, it's a good idea, imho, to limit revs to 6000-6200 -- the approximate point where compressive forces give way to tensile forces on the rods as the dominant stress.

Besides, a fixed-displacement S/C will make much more torque and do it starting at a much lower rpm and over such a broad rpm range that there's likely no performance benefit to push the revs further since the HP/Tq curves must cross at 5252 rpm and the taller-flatter torque curve will likely pull the S/C peak HP into a slightly lower rpm than stock anyway (all other things being equal).

450rw is about 530crank, some 75% more than stock on a cast crank. The Saleen Extreme and other 3Vs above that HP range are built motors engineered for such stresses. Just some thoughts...

Dan

ShelbyHomestead011.jpg

Rick Head of Exile Turbo has twin turbos on his 07SGT.

http://www.exileturbo.com/

Rick and TS member UltraStang#1 provided me with photos and answers to a laundry list of twin turbo questions.

post-9205-1213498514.jpg

post-9205-1213498547.jpg

post-9205-1213498566.jpg

Team_TT_Shelby_Run_002.pdf

post-9205-1213498514.jpg

post-9205-1213498547.jpg

post-9205-1213498566.jpg

Rick Head of Exile Turbo has twin turbos on his 07SGT.

http://www.exileturbo.com/

Rick and TS member UltraStang#1 provided me with photos and answers to a laundry list of twin turbo questions.

post-9205-1213498514.jpg

post-9205-1213498547.jpg

post-9205-1213498566.jpg

Beautiful installation job, imo ...and turbos are sexy for sure....

...but at that output level those curves seem to make the case for a fixed disp S/C which give much more area under the curves ...even at lower peak levels :shrug: ...not meaning to dis the car/install install ...both are very sweet! I guess it's all what you like.

• 1 year later...

So show me one of these bolt on supercharger kits that will deliver 477hp and 541 tq on a dead stock, 17K mile 3V engine with 10 degrees timing and 8 psi of boost. Then show me that same system pushing a 3820 lb '07 GT with the factory automatic transmission and 3.31 gears to a 10.88 at 128 mph. Then, have them show me 20 mpg in town and 25 mpg on the highway.

The Stealth GT Twin Turbo System will do that. Proven fact.

Archived