TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need opinions and I need it fast!

OK. Just like most people why would you buy a fun car like the Mustang in an Auto. Stick is the most fun and I agree. I have a deposit on a Shelby GT vert 5spd. But I came across one at an unbelievable price. Shelby GT vert, HID's, Auto, Sirius,Shaker 1000,Ambient,Anti theft, Heated seats and the whole upfitter pkg. I can get the car for $39,000. The dealer has had it for over 300 days and needs to sell it. It has 113 miles on it. But I love standard, I will not drive it often and when I do it's just more fun. And I also dislike the sirius antenna on the trunk. But is the fun really worth $4000.00 more to spend. I would really like some feedback. :banghead: Thanks.

OK. Just like most people why would you buy a fun car like the Mustang in an Auto. Stick is the most fun and I agree. I have a deposit on a Shelby GT vert 5spd. But I came across one at an unbelievable price. Shelby GT vert, HID's, Auto, Sirius,Shaker 1000,Ambient,Anti theft, Heated seats and the whole upfitter pkg. I can get the car for $39,000. The dealer has had it for over 300 days and needs to sell it. It has 113 miles on it. But I love standard, I dont drive it often and when I do it's just more fun. And I also dislike the sirius antenna on the trunk. But is the fun really worth $4000.00 more to spend. I would really like some feedback. :banghead: Thanks.

When I went looking for my SGT Conv, my top priority was that it had a 5 spd. My old 1966 Mustang Conv that I sold to my Dad after owning for 21 years was a C-4 Automatic, and I always wished it had a manual the entire 21 years that I owned it. Nonetheless, I still loved that car right up to the very day that I sold it to Dad to be able to purchase the 08 SGT Conv.

I enjoy the Sirius Radio a lot and the Bug antenna does not bother me at all. Two other mandatory options was the HIDs and the heated seats. I also preferred to have the Nav Radio, but would have purchased one without the Nav. The SGT that I found did have all of those items, so I got exactly what I wanted. I have not had even one minute of buyers remorse since I was able to purchase exactly what I wanted.

In my humble opinion, if you want a 5 speed, then purchase the 5 speed. Money will come and go, and you can always earn more. At the end of the day when you sell this car to someone else, you will always have those great memories of running through the gears with the top down, grinning from ear to ear as you listen to the sound of the engine roar. It won't be quite the same if you had a computer shifting for you all those years for all those memories if what you dreamed of was the 5 speed.

Good Luck and happy motoring!!!

Andy

Don't buy what you really don't want!I know a deal is a deal but is it worth it to you to be relatively happy for a little less or really happy for a little more?They,Sticks and autos both have their good points.Drive a new one with an auto and se if you don't like it just as much or more.If you just gotta have a manual,You have already answered your own question,But give an automatic a drive if you haven't,They aren't like the C4,C6 or even AOD variants of yesteryear.That is a lot of money to spend to be relatively happy.

When I wanted to purchase my 07 SGT I wanted a particular dash. I could have bought a similar vehicle, with the different dash, for invoice 5 miles from my house. Instead I flew 1,000 miles to Florida to buy the exact vehicle I wanted. Look upon it as a marriage. If you are going to be together for life it damn well better be what you want. If you plan on keeping the car forever the auto may be more valuable in the future due to fewer models being made. If you absolutely have to have the manual, if you would be sick with an auto then buy the manual. If you can accept the auto forever then grab it. It all depends upon how intense is your need for the manual. Or use the leverage of one dealer against the other. Show the dealer with the manual what you can buy the auto for and try to get him to reduce the price. Tell him you want a manual but your wife, girlfriend, etc wants an auto and is making your life miserable. Play the game. In the end it must be your decision. But don't second guess yourself after having made the decision. Make the best decision you can and move forward (manually or automatically!) Good Luck.

I can't agree more with all these posts. You should buy what you want and not look at a few dollars. The 5 speed will make you happy and you may always be thinking I wonder if I should have gotten the 5 spd. Deals will come and go, the memories will be forever.

No disrespect to those who have the Auto. . . . .

But even a few ladies have commented to me about the fact that a car like the Shelby GT really needs to be a 5spd.

Her words: "I hope it's not an automatic or I'll have to ask for your 'man card' back!"

The GT-H's were only Auto - and that's cool because that's the only way they were made (Rental Car). The Shelby GT came either way.

So I'm saying - 5Spd - hands down!

Just my $0.02 - not my decision - that's a lot of really nice options on the Auto - completely packaged out with all options you could get!

My SGT didn't have the Shaker1000 or Ambient lighting - Radio upgrade was one of the first things I did, I would have rather ordered it

with all the options like the V'ert you're looking at.

Either way - you have got to get one!!

Trevor

Theres a definate trade off between the two. You can bang gears with a 5 speed and keep the revs up during turns. The auto has many advantages like they are nothing like the old AOD, or 4r70w transmissions Ford used to build. I say drive it and make a choice based on that. The auto already has some miles on it. A few more won't hurt. I like you wanted a stick shelby and settled on the car I have now because i got it under the ADM's and I am very happy with my choice.

Either way you cant lose.

I agree with the posts. The difference in $$$ is hardly enough to justify kicking yourself for the next several years for not getting what you want every time you drive it.

It does seem strange that a 2008 SGT vert has been sitting at the dealer for 10 months (300days). I didn't realize they had been out that long, since August 2007???

(But even a few ladies have commented to me about the fact that a car like the Shelby GT really needs to be a 5spd.

Her words: "I hope it's not an automatic or I'll have to ask for your 'man card' back!" )

I cant wait for the day when a women say's that to me, she better be the best looking girl in the USA or I will fire off about 10 comments about her, I sure she will stomp away mad and then I hope she sends her dad, brother or b/f to talk to me, car shows are great

I will give you my 2 cents. I am a manual fan however, I bought the AUTO. I drove it and really like it. With the 355 axle swap makes the auto really purk up. It is faster in the quarter then the manual. No clutch worries and with the overdirve off and tc off is really fun to drive. I have laped it at Thunderhill and the first with an auto. I was really impressed by how the Trans works with the manual selector. Bang Bang gear to gear. What I really like now is crusing in traffic. You can cell phone or latte all you want and be in a SGT at the same time. The Autos are very rare and only about 500 black ones and 500 white ones made, not to mention they are the only new Shelby made with one. Even Carroll said that he was dissappointed that the gt 500 didn't have one. Heck even his Super Snake Cobra had an auto. In a drop top you will really enjoy the Auto. because you will want to cruz and check out the babes looking at you. It is not your old school auto, with electronic shift points and re-flashed chip it is really nice. In traffic is another point, great to have one as a daily driver. I say go with the auto, save the 4gs for your supercharger. Just my thoughts, SUDDEN.

OK. Just like most people why would you buy a fun car like the Mustang in an Auto. Stick is the most fun and I agree. I have a deposit on a Shelby GT vert 5spd. But I came across one at an unbelievable price. Shelby GT vert, HID's, Auto, Sirius,Shaker 1000,Ambient,Anti theft, Heated seats and the whole upfitter pkg. I can get the car for $39,000. The dealer has had it for over 300 days and needs to sell it. It has 113 miles on it. But I love standard, I will not drive it often and when I do it's just more fun. And I also dislike the sirius antenna on the trunk. But is the fun really worth $4000.00 more to spend. I would really like some feedback. :banghead: Thanks.

If you want the stick you'll be disappointed with the auto. It's simply not as much fun to drive if you prefer a stick. My opinion, of course.

I've always preferred a manual, but after driving the GT-H a few times, I really liked the auto. So, I ordered my '08 vert with an auto. Plus, from what i gather here regarding 1/4 mile times, the auto is quicker.

Theres a definate trade off between the two. You can bang gears with a 5 speed and keep the revs up during turns. The auto has many advantages like they are nothing like the old AOD, or 4r70w transmissions Ford used to build. I say drive it and make a choice based on that. The auto already has some miles on it. A few more won't hurt. I like you wanted a stick shelby and settled on the car I have now because i got it under the ADM's and I am very happy with my choice.

Either way you cant lose.

I Totaly Agree!

I have two Shelby GT convertibles one with auto the other with 5-speed. The 5-speed is going to a show tomorrow. The auto is the one I drive most - bad back.

Drive it. It's already been driven so tell the dealer your concern and that you want a test drive.

You will be pleasantly surprised. This ain't your grandma's automatic. It's very responsive and the shifts are well defined and crisp. It would be hard to shift a manual in the same time.

The short-throw shifter on the 5-speed is sweet though.

....What I really like now is crusing in traffic. You can cell phone or latte all you want and be in a SGT at the same time.....

tsk tsk :jackinbox:

:redcard: no cell phones or latte's allowed in SGTs.

only in Chrysler 5th Avenues with Corinthian leather(with Ricardo Montalban's accent)

:hysterical:

I have the automatic in the white car and it's really terrific contary to what some other members have posted here. But having said that, I do agree with the members who have stated that if you're not 100% behind the idea of owning and driving an automatic equipped SGT, then for goodness sake don't buy one, because buyer's remorse goes beyond how much a person has paid for their purchase.

My automatic car drives and runs excellent, and with the Paxton and tune making 510 crank H.P., the car shifts with neck snapping performance and chirps the tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears. If you were in So. Cal I would give you a ride in my car just so you could get an accurate idea as to how well the auto performs in these cars. The other benefit of having an automatic equipped SGT is that they are much rarer than the 5 speed cars. I believe that FoMoCo built two 5-speed SGT's for every automatic they built.

But regardless of all that, only buy what you are completely behind owning.

I have the automatic in the white car and it's really terrific

Same here.......most of the time I'm driving in bumper to bumper traffic....

yeah, when I do hit the highway I think about havin ta 5 speed...

but I have no regrets gettin the sutomatic.......

and with the Paxton and tune making 510 crank H.P., the car shifts with neck snapping performance

I can't wait until next spring, by then I should have the money saved up for the Paxton........I hope, I hope, I hope...

But regardless of all that, only buy what you are completely behind owning.

I agree 100%

:)

Thanks everyone for your input. I agree, buy what you really want regardless of the money. But with that deal it was like purchasing a regular GT and having Shelby doing all that other stuff for free. Hard to pass up.... But I did. With the fact that I will probably be driving this car sparingly I'm going to stick with the stick! Thanks for the help. The last post sealed it for me also. "quote" when I do hit the highway I think about havin the 5 speed. Now thats what I dont want to happen Thanks. :woot: And my 93 Cobra's # was 2209, This CSGT's # is 2029. Coincidence huh...or is it?

Thanks everyone for your input. I agree, buy what you really want regardless of the money. But with that deal it was like purchasing a regular GT and having Shelby doing all that other stuff for free. Hard to pass up.... But I did. With the fact that I will probably be driving this car sparingly I'm going to stick with the stick! Thanks for the help. The last post sealed it for me also. "quote" when I do hit the highway I think about havin the 5 speed. Now thats what I dont want to happen Thanks. :woot: And my 93 Cobra's # was 2209, This CSGT's # is 2029. Coincidence huh...or is it?

I think you will be very happy with it!

Al

When I wanted to purchase my 07 SGT I wanted a particular dash. I could have bought a similar vehicle, with the different dash, for invoice 5 miles from my house. Instead I flew 1,000 miles to Florida to buy the exact vehicle I wanted. Look upon it as a marriage. If you are going to be together for life it damn well better be what you want. If you plan on keeping the car forever the auto may be more valuable in the future due to fewer models being made. If you absolutely have to have the manual, if you would be sick with an auto then buy the manual. If you can accept the auto forever then grab it. It all depends upon how intense is your need for the manual. Or use the leverage of one dealer against the other. Show the dealer with the manual what you can buy the auto for and try to get him to reduce the price. Tell him you want a manual but your wife, girlfriend, etc wants an auto and is making your life miserable. Play the game. In the end it must be your decision. But don't second guess yourself after having made the decision. Make the best decision you can and move forward (manually or automatically!) Good Luck.

Mustang Scotty,

By exactly what you want or keep on looking till you find it. I drove 5 hours to purchase an 07 SGT with a particular dash, manual trans, Shaker 1000, gray seats, and no satellite antenna on the trunk. Purchased the car, drove home, then flew to Harlingen, TX to pick up my mini-van.

The sound of this car as you are going through the gears is nice.

Archived