TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New pics of 2010 GT500 again.

torino

New pics of what is purported to be 2010 Shelby posted at www.autoblog.com. Fairly clear shots of front end and new wheels. Big decision to purchase now with more vehicles available at MSRP or wait for another year to see restyle.

I don't really like idea of new shelby 2010. Look, they started selling it in 2007, and there's gonna be a new model in 2010?

Less than 3years for this production?

It's not a good idea for a sports car, especially for somewhat collectible like GT500.

I'll take an example from BMW. It produced M3s for at least 5-6years. Its sad when you pay a lot of money for something that it's just for fun and next year everyone looks at you and say "oh, that's the nonactual shelby. Look there! This great new GT500 is driving after it!"|.

I hope they improved some things, and thats good. But in my opinion if you sell high performance sports car like GT500 you should make it good from the begining, so it will last good for at least those 5-6 years.

I don't really like idea of new shelby 2010. Look, they started selling it in 2007, and there's gonna be a new model in 2010?

Less than 3years for this production?

It's not a good idea for a sports car, especially for somewhat collectible like GT500.

I'll take an example from BMW. It produced M3s for at least 5-6years. Its sad when you pay a lot of money for something that it's just for fun and next year everyone looks at you and say "oh, that's the nonactual shelby. Look there! This great new GT500 is driving after it!"|.

I hope they improved some things, and thats good. But in my opinion if you sell high performance sports car like GT500 you should make it good from the begining, so it will last good for at least those 5-6 years.

I can see your point but here are a few arguments you could make to the contrary:

1. Although the GT500 has only been there for 3 years, the Mustang, in its current form, will enter its 5th year in 2009. In that regard 2010 is about one schedule for what is essentially a mid-cycle refresh, not an entirely new car based on a new platform (basically the same thing that happened with the '94 Mustang, when it was updated in '99). If the base Mustang is redesigned, the Shellby necessarily has to follow. Ford does not have the financial means to keep producing the "old" body style and interior alongside the new one, which would not really make sense anyway.

2. If they would have stuck with the same model for 5-6 year, more units of the current model would have been sold; many around here like the exclusivity, and were disappointed when they learned that production of the current GT500 would not only be limited to 2007-2008, but would also extend to 2009. Imagine adding 2010 and 2011 on top of that. I guess Ford can't please everybody.

3. Back in the '60s, none of the Shelby body styles lasted more than 2 years. From what we can see today, this has not prevented these cars from becoming some of the most collectible muscle cars of that era.

4. The BMW example is only partly accurate. While it's true that BMW tends to stick to a body style 6-7 years, when launching a new generation of the 3 Series, the M version is not made immediately available. Normally BMW begins with the base sedan, followed by the coupe, the convertible, and finally the M3, about 2 years after the body style has changed, which means that the M3 is not offered for the entire lifespan of the new platform. The equivalent for Ford would be to wait until 2012 to offer a new GT500 and put the GT500 on hiatus until then. However, I doubt that Ford will take that approach, which should please you, since it would mean this new GT500 will likely be offered for more than 3 years.

Is a 2010 Shelby GT500 confirmed already? Is it possible this could just be considered a Cobra, without the Shelby name? I found it interesting the steering wheel didn't say Shelby but only had the snake.....

I've seen some of Ford's pre-pro test cars up close, they are often a mix match of parts thrown togther for testing. Don't let the fact that you didn't see a emblem or logo fool you, they need to test the hard parts.. the cosmetics will come in production.

• 2 weeks later...

It is reported that the current GT500 has a drag coefficient of 0.38. I wonder what this new models's DC is going to be? Everytime I see the latest mule pics the DC seems to look as if it has been increased quite a bit.....it could be just all the camo wrappers making it appear larger........I hope....

Size doesn't affect CD. Size affects frontal area - the other factor in wind resistance.

I didn't mean the entire car size. The fact that the pictures and discussions were focusing on the front of the car (i.e. mentioning a better view of what the front is going to look like) I would have thought people would have known that was what I was referring to the frontal area of the car. I am well aware that the total frontal area (square inches) is an member in the DC formula expression.

Archived