TEAM SHELBY FORUM

EVENT: Terlingua Team Shelby 2008!

Staff

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

www.bullrun.com

It's kind of a rally. You go to the start, and everybody starts their cars, and as you exit, they give you a destination card. Then everybody drives safely, never exceeding the speed limit (I think the GT500 is set at 155mph) to the destination. You do this again and again until you get to the final destination. I collected five cards.

There is much fun along the way, and a party at the end. And you get bonus pictures of Samantha.

The "real" Bullrun is a week long televised event.

The Shelby Birthday Bash and the Terlingua Bullruns are one day events.

If can go, then do go. You won't be sorry.

I suspect you're right, Mac ...a gimmick ralley would make the most sense for a casual and fun event. They're cool!

---

My fave is the TSD Course Ralleys -- ran quite a few of those in the old '68 and in our third event we placed first overall (!) running as a Novice in S.O.P., whcih is seat-of-the-pants class -- no auxiliary instruments or computers of any kind permitted, just a pencil, paper, wrist watch and the car-odometer whcih you have to 'calibrate' against the Ralleymaster's vehicle in a pre-ralley "calibration-run." That attempts to take into account things like tire-pressure-related slip-rates and such on various road surfaces and at different speeds. Fun stuff!! Anyhow, after 5 hours of vigilantly touring the backroads of Long Island, I was amazingly zoned-in on the ralleymaster's strategy and we never went off-course once! That's part of the fun, especially when you see cars in your ralley going the opposite way ...hmmmm. Anyhow, when it came time for the trophy presentations at the dinner-party after the ralley, we thought they lost our results because the "equipped" and "intermediate" classes were already presented! -- then we found out the great news -- we beat them all and placed first-overall! Still have that trophy and dash-plaque :wub: tucked away. Also placed in the top 10 (novice, s.o.p) in the infamous All Night Leadfoot Ralley -- 12 hours of overnight adrenaline -- half of which was in a showstorm! They are addictive, but haven't done any in well over 35 years now! ;-)

:shift:

I'm kind of picturing a Cannonball Run type of thing, so I'm going to go ahead and call that I get to be Burt Reynolds. :happy feet: Now I just need to figure out how to get a hold of some extra Powered by Ford badges so everyone will think that my ambulance is actually a Shelby. I'm still looking for a co-polit if anyone wants to be Dom Deluise - though you have to bring your own Captain Chaos costume. :superhero:

Matt

Guys I know that is seems expensive, however when it comes to actually shutting down entire streets and shutting down an airport to run on and working with the local authorities it can become very costly.

I have looked at other Bull Run type events and have seen them go for 5-6 thousand and still not offer as much as this one.

There is a lot of activities and we have booked the entire hotel.

We also have two big parties

So if you break it down to 1150.00 a person including Hotels and Food and Drag Strip and Road Course and Bull Run portion. It really is not that bad.

I know that some have paid over 600 to be a Mid-America and that does not include the food or Hotel.

So we tried to get as much in to this event as possible and keep it in Terlingua.

Sounds like a blast! If I can get the time off, I might pull the 650 miles from Houston.

Those of you who can make it, great! those of you on the fence should try, we have a lot planned and all my guys want to go...lol, I might haveto do a drawing ....

For those who have asked, I am getting the truck and support vehicle info so you can ride with the SAI team if you chose

Amy

Robert / Sharon,

Been thinking about some of the "fun" we had in Tulsa last month. I know you mentioned trying to start carrying some parts (like serpentine belts......) in the truck in case members have "simple" mechanical issues at TS events.

But seeing as how Terlingua is darn near as far from a Ford parts distributor as you can get in North America, not to mention Autozone, or Big-O Tires; I have been thinking about the tire wear issues I had at Tulsa. If I couldn't find replacement road race rated tires there, I'd be stuck if I flatted down in the jack-rabbit cemetary.

Normally I trailer to any performance driving event for obvious reasons. But there are several very good reasons for me to just drive the Shelby down to this event. That being said, if I flat where could I find a Nitto 555r 285/35/r18 in Lajitas!????

Most others that drive will also be doing so without spares..........I know TS can't be a rolling tire shop, and I'll likely have to sqeeze a couple of tires in the trunk to be prepared; but perhaps some OE Goodyear rubber is another good think to think about stocking in the truck.

btw Amy, about those hats............are they real "cowboy" hats or those backwards-bill-wearing baseball caps? :poke:

I now have an extra set of serpentine belts in the trailer and 3 sets of tires (2 cars, one extra set. I can always steal parts off my other car if need be). I'm hoping someone has a tire changer and a balancer. My trailer will be stocked this time as a moving shop. No more tools in the bag.

Just like Carroll's chili this event needs some additional spices thrown in the mix.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=31580&hl=

Lets get the party started

:party2:

Steve

Steve,

It'd be nice if they could join the caravans being planned. I know there'll be one coming from California and JamesL could join up with either ours from Houston or Sprint200's from Oklahoma depending on where they're starting from.

Matt

LuLu,

Which direction will you be traveling to Terlingua?

If you're coming down I-35, do you want to catch our group leaving from OKC on Wednesday at noon?

I tried to PM you but it is disabled.........

sprint200

Mac is on the road right now. His PM is always disabled (not sure why). PM me and I will give you his EM.

Jim

LuLu,

If you're coming down I-35, do you want to catch our group leaving from OKC on Wednesday at noon?

sprint200

I was out on the road when you posted, but I am home now and I replied to your email. I like your suggestion, but honestly, I haven't looked at my maps. I don't know what route I will take, but I promise to look at this in the upcoming week and get back to you.

Thank you for thinking of me, anytime I can hook up with other road junkies, it's good.

Mac is on the road right now. His PM is always disabled (not sure why). PM me and I will give you his EM.

Jim

Thank you too, Jim.

Yep, went down to Charleston SC for a week and had a great time. My 3 year old Sony VIAO notebook died, but it served me well for it's time. Thank you for covering my back here, Jim, this is really appreciated. Once my communications link died, I felt "out".

I'll be in touch with you both soon, be safe.

BTW...I don't use the PM system because it's not really "private". As a former board owner, I'd rather not get into this arena again.

I was out on the road when you posted, but I am home now and I replied to your email. I like your suggestion, but honestly, I haven't looked at my maps. I don't know what route I will take, but I promise to look at this in the upcoming week and get back to you.

Thank you for thinking of me, anytime I can hook up with other road junkies, it's good.

Thank you too, Jim.

Yep, went down to Charleston SC for a week and had a great time. My 3 year old Sony VIAO notebook died, but it served me well for it's time. Thank you for covering my back here, Jim, this is really appreciated. Once my communications link died, I felt "out".

I'll be in touch with you both soon, be safe.

BTW...I don't use the PM system because it's not really "private". As a former board owner, I'd rather not get into this arena again.

Hey Mac, wish I had known you were going to be in Charleston! I am only 1 1/2 hours from there. Would of been a good excuse to drive down and meet you...maybe another time. Craig

LuLu,

sprint200

No PMs. E-mail SergntMac@aol.com, or, call 312.401.1396. Until then, let's see is we can get this planning started again...

I'm looking at routes and hoping to hook up with others as soon as I can in the trail to Terlingua. I'm coming out of Chicago, and I have my choice of I-55, and I-57. Here's one idea, please check your maps and let me know if this works?

Drive I-55 to St. Louis, then catch I-44 towards Tulsa, and on to Oklahoma City. Merge into I-35 towards Dallas-Fort Worth, then on to Odessa via I-20. This seems to be as close to Terlingua on Interstate roads, state and local highways after that?

My second option is I-55 to Jackson MS., then across on I-20. Seems an easier route, but may be more time consuming?

My co-pilot, Larry, is a small business owner who will be closing shop for this trip, thus I cannot estimate our departure date/time just yet. My Google maps say it's a 1400+ mile drive in approximately 22 hours. In my younger days, no problem. But, today, I think this is a little too much driving for me in one pass, so, an overnight rest is planned. Where will depend on the first days travel time.

Presently, Larry and I are planning to leave Chicago on the 23rd to make Terlingua by the 25th. This is adjustable, but with limitations. We will have the same drive back, and Larry would like to be home by the 30th.

This is a rough plan right now, any advice from y'all will be appreciated.

Thanks, be safe.

Mac.

Drive I-55 to St. Louis, then catch I-44 towards Tulsa, and on to Oklahoma City. Merge into I-35 towards Dallas-Fort Worth, then on to Odessa via I-20. This seems to be as close to Terlingua on Interstate roads, state and local highways after that?

Thanks, be safe.

Mac.

Mac,

If you guys decide to take I-44 to OKC (& I believe that is the most direct route for you) Then continuing on I-44 to Wichita Falls, TX saves quite a few miles and time as opposed to going south to Dallas. That is the route we will be taking to Odessa. You're welcome to join us.

No PMs. E-mail SergntMac@aol.com, or, call 312.401.1396. Until then, let's see is we can get this planning started again...

I'm looking at routes and hoping to hook up with others as soon as I can in the trail to Terlingua. I'm coming out of Chicago, and I have my choice of I-55, and I-57. Here's one idea, please check your maps and let me know if this works?

My second option is I-55 to Jackson MS., then across on I-20. Seems an easier route, but may be more time consuming?

My co-pilot, Larry, is a small business owner who will be closing shop for this trip, thus I cannot estimate our departure date/time just yet. My Google maps say it's a 1400+ mile drive in approximately 22 hours. In my younger days, no problem. But, today, I think this is a little too much driving for me in one pass, so, an overnight rest is planned. Where will depend on the first days travel time.

Presently, Larry and I are planning to leave Chicago on the 23rd to make Terlingua by the 25th. This is adjustable, but with limitations. We will have the same drive back, and Larry would like to be home by the 30th.

Thanks, be safe.

Mac.

Mac,

I've driven Tulsa to Bloomington and Jackson to Tulsa both, several times. You'll be better off coming down through Oklahoma and then hopping on I-20 in Dallas (you'd also be able to meet up with Jeff, aka Sprint200, a lot sooner).

Matt

Mac,

I've driven Tulsa to Bloomington and Jackson to Tulsa both, several times. You'll be better off coming down through Oklahoma and then hopping on I-20 in Dallas (you'd also be able to meet up with Jeff, aka Sprint200, a lot sooner).

Matt

Thank you for the advice, Matt. It looked to be the long way around the barn.

Mac,

If you guys decide to take I-44 to OKC (& I believe that is the most direct route for you) Then continuing on I-44 to Wichita Falls, TX saves quite a few miles and time as opposed to going south to Dallas. That is the route we will be taking to Odessa. You're welcome to join us.

I was sticking to the Interstates for ease and that took me through DFW, but it seems a rat's nest of lane changes too. Drove this route before for a Marauder meet back in '03.

Okay, I can see your suggestion on my maps, but what is the plan after Witchita Falls? Looks like I-44 dead ends there, so, what's next, State roads? Looks like Texas 277 out of Wichita Falls, and later merges with Texas 83. This will take us into Abilene and I-20, then on to Odessa. Is this a reasonable plan? Will I be able to hook up with anyone before Odessa?

Thanks again for the advice, y'all be safe (see I'm talking like a Texan already).

Thank you for the advice, Matt. It looked to be the long way around the barn.

I was sticking to the Interstates for ease and that took me through DFW, but it seems a rat's nest of lane changes too. Drove this route before for a Marauder meet back in '03.

Okay, I can see your suggestion on my maps, but what is the plan after Witchita Falls? Looks like I-44 dead ends there, so, what's next, State roads? Looks like Texas 277 out of Wichita Falls, and later merges with Texas 83. This will take us into Abilene and I-20, then on to Odessa. Is this a reasonable plan? Will I be able to hook up with anyone before Odessa?

Thanks again for the advice, y'all be safe (see I'm talking like a Texan already).

Mac & Jeff,

I know that the Dallas interstate system is a rat's nest but it's either that or go through every little podunk Oklahoma and Texas town between Chicago and I-20 - lots of lights, lots of low speed limits, lots of more time to get where you're going. Personally, I think Oklahoma City is harder to get through than Dallas. Everytime I go through that city it seems like they have all of the major roads under construction. If it were me making that drive, I'd plan on going through Dallas and I'd plan on doing it when it's not rush hour. Working in the oil field I've done a lot of long distance driving and I've learned that the shortest route isn't always the quickest one. You might be able to save some miles but I'm not sure you'll save any time or gas when you have to slow down to 35 mph every 20 miles and hit a stop light or sign in every other town.

Matt

Mac & Jeff,

I know that the Dallas interstate system is a rat's nest but it's either that or go through every little podunk Oklahoma and Texas town between Chicago and I-20 - lots of lights, lots of low speed limits, lots of more time to get where you're going. Personally, I think Oklahoma City is harder to get through than Dallas. Everytime I go through that city it seems like they have all of the major roads under construction. If it were me making that drive, I'd plan on going through Dallas and I'd plan on doing it when it's not rush hour. Working in the oil field I've done a lot of long distance driving and I've learned that the shortest route isn't always the quickest one. You might be able to save some miles but I'm not sure you'll save any time or gas when you have to slow down to 35 mph every 20 miles and hit a stop light or sign in every other town.

Matt

Matt,

That statemet would make me laugh if I hadn't just visited Dallas this past weekend. As it is, I'm shaking uncontrollably and mumbling to myself having flashbacks of 635/I-30 junction incidents :rant::runaway::rant2::rant2: I'll take OKC over Dallas any day of the week!

If LuLu meets me on the north side of OKC, then we don't go through town we go around the west side. We have interstate all the way to Wichita Falls. Dallas is way out of the way from here and adds at least 2-1/2 hours to the drive if not more. Fort Worth traffic on !-35 is an absolute nightmare north of I-30 (How could they spend that much money on an interchange that fixed nothing :banghead: )

LuLu,

Yes those are the state highways I would take from Wichita Falls to the west side of Abilene. They are good roads. And as stated above, you can meet me in Oklahoma City. You'll pass within two miles of my home anyway you go (I-44 or I35).

I'm planning on leaving at noon on Wednesday. I can email you directions to a meeting place or email you my mobile phone number if you would like to call me.

Matt,

That statemet would make me laugh if I hadn't just visited Dallas this past weekend. As it is, I'm shaking uncontrollably and mumbling to myself having flashbacks of 635/I-30 junction incidents :rant::runaway::rant2::rant2: I'll take OKC over Dallas any day of the week!

If LuLu meets me on the north side of OKC, then we don't go through town we go around the west side. We have interstate all the way to Wichita Falls. Dallas is way out of the way from here and adds at least 2-1/2 hours to the drive if not more. Fort Worth traffic on !-35 is an absolute nightmare north of I-30 (How could they spend that much money on an interchange that fixed nothing :banghead: )

LuLu,

Yes those are the state highways I would take from Wichita Falls to the west side of Abilene. They are good roads. And as stated above, you can meet me in Oklahoma City. You'll pass within two miles of my home anyway you go (I-44 or I35).

I'm planning on leaving at noon on Wednesday. I can email you directions to a meeting place or email you my mobile phone number if you would like to call me.

Jeff,

Maybe I'm just so used to driving in Houston that I don't notice Dallas traffic and roads so much anymore. I do know that when I was in college up in Tulsa they had I-40 in OKC torn to :censored: for several years. And of course, I've never hauled a trailer through Dallas so I'm actually probably not the best person to be giving advice. I'm just really not a big fan of going through little towns every 15 or 20 miles and having to slow down each time, but if it saves you 2 1/2 hours then go for it.

Matt

Thank you, gents, for your advice and guidance. I really appreciate this.

OKC is 796 miles from my door, a 12 hour drive? Maybe less, because both Larry and I are leadfoots. How friendly are local cops?

Larry and I can do the drive to OKC in one day, no problem if we start out early on the morning of the 23rd. But, we will be exhausted by the time we reach OKC, and we're planning on an overnight stop there. Any input on locations for this overnight is appreciated. Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean, secure, and close to the meet spot for OKC departures on the path to Terlingua.

Working the last tidbits of 411 mentioned here, it occurs to me that Odessa is out of our way. I can go there just to meet up with more Terlingua drivers, but Odessa is out of our way, right?

Anyone wanting to send me their phone number, send it to SergntMac@aol.com. I will not release that to anyone. Also, I am somewhat computer challenged and have a difficult time associating real names with screen names. I've got Matt down, but who is Jeff? Please identify yourself in the e-mail?

Thanks again, y'all be safe.

Mac.

SergntMac@aol.com

I got this e-mail a few days ago. Seems to have some helpful 411.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have been reading some of the posts for the Bull Run. I don’t have time to sign up, so, I thought that I would take a minute to address some of the questions and topics I have seen posted on the site, as I live in the area. This information may be helpful to a lot of those that intend to travel either from the East or West.

1. There is an Autozone in Alpine: 808 E. Holland Ave. 432-837-5029

2. Napa Auto Parts also in Alpine: 101 N. 7th Street- 432-837-3611

3. There is also Oasis Tire Company: 2601 E. Hwy 90 432-837-5030

4. Van Horn – you can continue east on 10 to 17 in Balmorhea. (All HWY route 68 miles)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Van+Horn&a...orhea&2s=TX

Then Balmorhea thru Fort Davis ( 38mi.)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Van+Horn&a...1:::::f:EN:M:/e

And then to Alpine.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Van+Horn&a...1:::::f:EN:M:/e

All of which is a beautiful drive thru the Davis Mountains.

Balmorhea and Fort Davis both have hotels-some are quite new, but no chains.

http://www.fortdavis.com/hotels.html Fort Davis is 24 mi N of Alpine.

5. You could also travel east from Van Horn on HWY 90 to Alpine (100mi.) http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Van+Horn&a...lpine&2s=TX

6. People coming from the North East: hwy 20 has a great section of hwy where the speed limit is 80mph between Odessa and the HWY 17 exit in Pecos to go to Balmorhea. It is approximately 1 hr. from Pecos to Fort Davis.

Warning to all: The Texas Dept. of Public Safety is cracking down on speeders. Speed Limit actually means the fastest allowable speed. I happen to have a tendancy to hurry and get where I am going, but after a few stops I have gotten the message (yes, I’m blonde) Coming from San Antonio on Hwy 10, you can get off at Fort Stockton (1hr from Alpine), they have lot’s of hotels.

Or, continue to Alpine. Or, continue on 10 and exit hwy 17 in Balmorhea. Balmorhea and Fort Davis are both small communities. Fort Davis has a population of @ 1200 and extremely safe.

The Motor Inn: 432-426-2112 would probably give a group discount on rooms which would average @ $60.00 for a double (+ tax per night) El Oso Flojo Lodge in Balmorhea would give a straight discount as long as you identified yourself as “A Team Shelby member or a Bullrun participant". http://www.elosoflojolodge.com/rooms.htm

We hope you all enjoy your trip and the Bullrun. We look forward to seeing you here. Please feel free to email your questions to info@fortdavis.com

Sincerely,

Lisa Nugent

Executive Director

www.fortdavis.com

-----------------------------------

Hope this helps, gents, carry on.

You member number is on your member cards. If you can not find them PM me your full name I can look up your number.

Sharon

I joined on Au 8 and have not recieved a membership packet. I need my number to register for the Terlingua

event.....what do you mean by PM?

John

I joined on Au 8 and have not recieved a membership packet. I need my number to register for the Terlingua

event.....what do you mean by PM?

John

Send me your last name I can look up your member number.

You can still register for Terlingua and I can confirm your number

Archived