TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Information on Release of Shelby's

68KR07Shelby

Just got information from the plant in Flat Rock. 900 Shelby's have been on hold for the clutch issue. However, it seems they will be shipping this week. At least my car will be shipping!!! So, I guess the clutch issue was a real issue and it seems to have been resolved. Keep the faith!

Just got information from the plant in Flat Rock. 900 Shelby's have been on hold for the clutch issue. However, it seems they will be shipping this week. At least my car will be shipping!!! So, I guess the clutch issue was a real issue and it seems to have been resolved. Keep the faith!

I spoke with them today as well. This is not a rumor. It's not clear if those cars currently in production will have to go through this inspection, but my guess is they won't.

:shift:

My Shelby GT500 status is "Released from the Plant". I have been assured by the regional rep my Shelby GT500 is at an outside vendor having the stripes applied.

I would not mind having my Shelby GT500 inspected again if there is a suspicion the clutch may be defective. Additionally, 'Jetsolver' has speculated the clutch may be what is causing the dyno results to be low. I dunno what type of clutch the Shelby GT500 has, but I think I read somewhere it is a two piece disk clutch; whatever that is.

JB

I think others who have received their cars have stated that there is some clutch chatter - could this be due to the ceramic materials used in the clutch plate and if so, is this what folks are talking about when the Shelbys are being held up by QA?

Isn't it normal to have some clutch chatter with ceramic racing clutches?

Although I am sure they are different, I have a Spec Stage 3+ in my 03 Terminator and I get some noises when I dis-engage the clutch (plate starts rubbing/grabbing flywheel?)

My Shelby GT500 status is "Released from the Plant". I have been assured by the regional rep my Shelby GT500 is at an outside vendor having the stripes applied.

I would not mind having my Shelby GT500 inspected again if there is a suspicion the clutch may be defective. Additionally, 'Jetsolver' has speculated the clutch may be what is causing the dyno results to be low. I dunno what type of clutch the Shelby GT500 has, but I think I read somewhere it is a two piece disk clutch; whatever that is.

JB

Interestingly, all of the service info on the car clearly states that clutch chatter is normal, specifically in 1st and reverse. It says to explain to the customer that the cerametallic materials are the cause. They also address gear mesh noise and disengaged clutch noise. I'm curious as to why they'd hold these cars for clutch issues if they were aware of the attributes. Personally, I kinda like the nifty Hssss that it makes as you engage it.

As to the clutch being an output (dyno) factor, I'd seriously doubt it. I've seen cars range from 410 to 470 but keep im mind that range could be normal depending on conditions, heatsoak, etc. Are the high number cars looking at STD or SAE numbers? (Probably STD. Mine was about 10rwhp higher when looking at STD vs SAE). If a car's output was less than 400 they probably had the same issue I did with a bad pickup on the leads.

bj

I talked to Ralph today as well, and he said there were only 6 out of 900 that had the clutch issue, the problem has been resolved and now it will be 2 to 3 weeks before I'll get my Shelby. He also told me that mine did not have the clutch problem. So, at least there is some good news.

Impatiently waiting...

Theresa :wacko:

JB

Jesse, how do I get ahold of my regional rep? I live in Northern Indiana?

'harley99fb', the order guy, Pete McClung, at my local dealer Hastings Ford contacted the regional rep that oversees the Hastings Ford account. Pete told me he had the green light to request a search after 5 days of the estimated delivery date. The information I was told following this request was my Shelby GT500 was at the outside vendor having the stripes applied. Was also told this vendor was having problems; didn't say what the problems were. I assumed quality issues with the stripes. From there it was speculated my Shelby GT500 was going back to the plant for a final inspection. Again, I was assuming it was to inspect the stripes. Now I'm beginning to think it's to re-inspect the clutch.

That's OK with me. I'm not in a hurry to get the car, I just don't want to miss out tracking it via rail car. I'd love to see it move ten feet in 20 minutes; come back hours later and see it going back-wards. 'evilchris' told me that's what happened to him. I think not knowing where the car is for sure is much worse.

JB

'harley99fb', the order guy, Pete McClung, at my local dealer Hastings Ford contacted the regional rep that oversees the Hastings Ford account. Pete told me he had the green light to request a search after 5 days of the estimated delivery date. The information I was told following this request was my Shelby GT500 was at the outside vendor having the stripes applied. Was also told this vendor was having problems; didn't say what the problems were. I assumed quality issues with the stripes. From there it was speculated my Shelby GT500 was going back to the plant for a final inspection. Again, I was assuming it was to inspect the stripes. Now I'm beginning to think it's to re-inspect the clutch.

That's OK with me. I'm not in a hurry to get the car, I just don't want to miss out tracking it via rail car. I'd love to see it move ten feet in 20 minutes; come back hours later and see it going back-wards. 'evilchris' told me that's what happened to him. I think not knowing where the car is for sure is much worse.

JB

JB, might you be able to help me out as to how to track the car via rail??

JB, might you be able to help me out as to how to track the car via rail??

I love to help you out 'yenrod'. It begins with someone, Ford or shipper, to actually put the Shelby GT500 on a rail car.

Before that happens, it is helpful to have your VIN and you can call Ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673 and request a status on your vehicle.

Then be prepared for some fancy sounding terminology like "Released from the Plant". Dang, I was happy as a lark to hear that thinking my Shelby GT500 has come off the assembly line and passed all quality inspections. Nothing is going to hold it up. It's been turned over to the shipper and loaded on a rail car. In a matter of a few days it would be here.

NOT!

¿Did I tell you how much I appreciate this forum? I do, really. The best thing knowing is, I'm not alone.

JB

I love to help you out 'yenrod'. It begins with someone, Ford or shipper, to actually put the Shelby GT500 on a rail car.

Before that happens, it is helpful to have your VIN and you can call Ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673 and request a status on your vehicle.

Then be prepared for some fancy sounding terminology like "Released from the Plant". Dang, I was happy as a lark to hear that thinking my Shelby GT500 has come off the assembly line and passed all quality inspections. Nothing is going to hold it up. It's been turned over to the shipper and loaded on a rail car. In a matter of a few days it would be here.

NOT!

¿Did I tell you how much I appreciate this forum? I do, really. The best thing knowing is, I'm not alone.

JB

Thanks for at least the reply, I think?.? I was "suppose" to be delivered between 8/26 and 9/2, that has obviously come and went, NO car. Dealer and Ford, no one "knows" where the car is now??? I have the VIN, but no one knows. It is a TOTAL cluster F***!

What ended up being the problem with your dyno run? bad pickup? ???

I've been hearing several times about hold up issues with the stripes, this must be a magor problem (and hold up) for Ford. My dealer says the Rep told him Ford expected 20% of people wanted stripes and it turned into 70%, and now they are getting slammed.

Yup...bad pickup because they (a) didn't isolate just one of the two wires on the lead and (B) because they left the "SVT" plate off while testing and that plate actually holds all the spring loaded clips on the plugs. In any case, all is well.

Re: Stripes. That's exactly correct on the percentages. I can't fathom how they misjudged this one. Hey FORD, they're called Focus Groups. (Maybe they should be SVT Focus Groups).

They thought they could do them all offsite because of the low percentages. Oops! They got backlogged over the 4th of July break and never caught up. Plus, they're getting complaints about them. They really suck.

Mine goes to the painter at the end of the month. It's a ton of dough, but it'll be absolutely awesome and an investment in my pleasure with the car.

bj

Thanks for at least the reply, I think?.? I was "suppose" to be delivered between 8/26 and 9/2, that has obviously come and went, NO car. Dealer and Ford, no one "knows" where the car is now??? I have the VIN, but no one knows. It is a TOTAL cluster F***!

I agree! well, for the most part.

Someone knows, just not very many people, but the one who knows can tell you exactly where you're car is,

mine is currently in the lot waiting to be loaded onto rail.

Hey 'yenrod', we're riding in the same boat. My estimated date of delivery was 8/24. I wish you luck in getting your Shelby GT500.

JB

Hey 'yenrod', we're riding in the same boat. My estimated date of delivery was 8/24. I wish you luck in getting your Shelby GT500.

JB

This is more info than I'v seen in a while. I will probably sleep better tonite.

I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a ton of new posts/pics on the "new arrival" thread in 2-3 weeks! Maybe evenby the end of this week and hopefully one will be mine. Est delivery was 8/27. Can't wait to see all of our babies being delivered very soon!

I think others who have received their cars have stated that there is some clutch chatter - could this be due to the ceramic materials used in the clutch plate and if so, is this what folks are talking about when the Shelbys are being held up by QA?

Although I am sure they are different, I have a Spec Stage 3+ in my 03 Terminator and I get some noises when I dis-engage the clutch (plate starts rubbing/grabbing flywheel?)

The guy at the plant I talked to was one of four guys actually doing the inspections. I asked him the reason for all the inspections, and he said that some of the clutches were "slipping."

I asked about the chatter I've read about, and he told me this is NOT the reason they are doing the inspections. He said the clutch is a two disc ceramic racing clutch and that this chatter happens sometimes when this type of clutch is let out too slowly . He said that the way to avoid the chatter is to rev the engine just a little bit and then let the clutch out quickly.

FYI

This is more info than I'v seen in a while. I will probably sleep better tonite.

I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a ton of new posts/pics on the "new arrival" thread in 2-3 weeks! Maybe evenby the end of this week and hopefully one will be mine. Est delivery was 8/27. Can't wait to see all of our babies being delivered very soon!

Instead of counting sheep, we can count Shelbys.

Nice thought, a flood of new arrival pictures.

I wish you a speedy arrival 'gt50035'.

JB

Re: Stripes. That's exactly correct on the percentages. I can't fathom how they misjudged this one. Hey FORD, they're called Focus Groups. (Maybe they should be SVT Focus Groups).

I submit its becuase so many of the cars are being ordered by dealers as all up cars. I think that the percentage will drop a good bit as next years cars go to more go and less show owners who might prefer a bit more stealth and less "HELLO MR. Officer".

The guy at the plant I talked to was one of four guys actually doing the inspections. I asked him the reason for all the inspections, and he said that some of the clutches were "slipping."

I have been giving that RW vs. crank business a good bit of thought, and , if one starts to factor in all the changes like two-piece driveshafts, synthetic fluids, small twin- disc clutchs, and pretty hefty wheels and tires, the driveline parasitic loss really needs to be more rigorously pinned down. As to the slippage, if it is indeed an issue, I'm not terribly suprised as those sorts of ultra high performance parts tend to be more fussy about tolerances(manufacturing or otherwise). I suggest that customers best get used to some foilables with these cars as this is the first time in auto history that this many 500 horse cars have come down a line that makes a couple hundred thousand other cars. They almost assuredly made a few miscalculations, and if you've owned a high-perf car in the past, you realize its more of a relationship car than your daily driver Camry.

Well, we do know some chatter is expected on the GT500...it says so in the owners manual.

Dave

Interestingly, all of the service info on the car clearly states that clutch chatter is normal, specifically in 1st and reverse. It says to explain to the customer that the cerametallic materials are the cause. They also address gear mesh noise and disengaged clutch noise. I'm curious as to why they'd hold these cars for clutch issues if they were aware of the attributes. Personally, I kinda like the nifty Hssss that it makes as you engage it.

As to the clutch being an output (dyno) factor, I'd seriously doubt it. I've seen cars range from 410 to 470 but keep im mind that range could be normal depending on conditions, heatsoak, etc. Are the high number cars looking at STD or SAE numbers? (Probably STD. Mine was about 10rwhp higher when looking at STD vs SAE). If a car's output was less than 400 they probably had the same issue I did with a bad pickup on the leads.

bj

60 HP difference due to "conditions" and "heatsoak"? Really?

Dave

I talked to Ralph today as well, and he said there were only 6 out of 900 that had the clutch issue, the problem has been resolved and now it will be 2 to 3 weeks before I'll get my Shelby. He also told me that mine did not have the clutch problem. So, at least there is some good news.

Impatiently waiting...

Do you know more specifically what the clutch issue is/was?

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. Robert, why the different story here about a clutch issue holding shipments vs. the story posted a few days ago about "no stop shipment"?

Dave

60 HP difference due to "conditions" and "heatsoak"? Really?

Absolutely. Car "a": 2k on the clock, freshly rested overnight with only a quick warmup, 65 f ambient, 35% rel hum, 29.97 at mean sea level.

Car "b": 500 miles, driven an hour in stop and go traffic to the dyno on a 100 degree/60% humidity day at 2,000 ft msl. (the density altitude is around 5200 ft!!).

Do you think you can't get a 60 rwhp swing in those conditions? Try runs 2,3 and 4 back to back for a little more heat soak.

I raced a Mazdaspeed MX5 (can't bring myself or my manhood to say "Miata"....I'd have to turn in my Guy Card). It made a little over 200 at the wheels (stock ones were rated at 170 and on a great day would do 140 at the rear). With numerous mods to the intercooler, it would lose 35 rwhp in a 10 min cool down between two pulls! Stock ones heatsoaked so badly that many wouldn't break 110 at the wheels on a subsequent pull on a hot day.

So, 60 rwhp loss due to extreme elemental differences? In a heartbeat.

bj

Do you know more specifically what the clutch issue is/was?

Thanks,

Dave

All I know is that there was some clutch slipping issues, and they could result in a recall for all previously released Shelby's, He didn't say how serious the slipping was, just that it was found in only 6/900.

Archived