TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT's with Cobra/Shelby badges..

Concep29

Ok, so I've started to see a few S197 GT's crusing around my town with cobra badges and shelby logo's..one guy had the fender snakes AND the GT500 trunk emblem! Unfortunately, I'm never in my 500 when I see these posers. Does this bug anyone else or am I over-reacting? <_<

Ok, so I've started to see a few S197 GT's crusing around my town with cobra badges and shelby logo's..one guy had the fender snakes AND the GT500 trunk emblem! Unfortunately, I'm never in my 500 when I see these posers. Does this bug anyone else or am I over-reacting? <_<

I've said it before. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The posers are easy to spot by the real owners.

Over-reacting. Thats the neat thing about this passion we have for cars - we can make them what we want them to be. Some people cant afford the real deal, but love the looks. Those that have the real deal or know what it is will know right off the bat that its an imitation.

Imagine having the passion for cars back when the Ford first came out. You could have it any color you liked - as long as it was black :)

Let them enjoy their cars :)

Doesn't bother me at all. That's what owning a Mustang is all about... taking a design element from here and there and adding a bit of yourself tp make it your own.

"Posers" as you call them are simply people who want something special they can call their own. They rarely try to pass it of as an original. Cloners bother me a bit more when they are trying to make a buck.

And here I was thinking about removing the trunklid lettering and fender badges for the "sleeper" look. I would rather have less people know I'm driving a Shelby. It seems that once they recognize it as a Shelby, they want to challenge you with their mini-van, honda with the garbage can exhaust, hybrid Toyota, etc.............. I'm thinking 6 cylinder badges on mine, less attention :hysterical:

Back in mid 07 I ran into a badged out GT that I coined a GT499. I finally met the kid a few months ago and had to thank him.

We were in the same parking lot one night and when one car pulled away he saw my car and all his friends were wanting to come over and say hi. He finally did and I walked right up and shook his hand and thanked him in front of everyone. He looked puzzled and asked why I was thanking him. I told him about one night when a new GTO kept at me until we took it out of town and spanked that poor boy every which way to Sunday and when we got back to Sonic they got out and the passenger was laughing so hard and the driver asked what I had done to it, I said nothing (at the time), he shook his head and said he had just beat a GT500 the night before with no problem at all.

I asked if it was a orange with black stripes and big driving lights in the grill, he said yes, I smiled and didn't say a word.

So I told the kid with the GT499 the story and we all had a good laugh about it.

I was a little pissed at first when they were cloning the body and less that honest dealers were getting top dollar for them on Ebay, but not so much now. If you have a real one, it feels good to be at the top of the food chain when you roll into a parking lot full of cars. More times than not at a Sonic, people will walk right past a row of Z06s and grab a pic of a Shelby.

concep29, you're not alone.

Just think how many EVO owners out there are telling stories on how they trounced a Shelby the other night. The thing that the EVO owner doesn't understand is that he just beat up on a generic Mustang that the owner "modified" with some Shelby embems from ebay.

Unfortunately nothing can be done but I don't subscribe to the theory that these type of owners are performing a tribute to Shelby. Do they say the same thing about the people who attach Mercedes Benz emblems to their Hyundai? Is that a form of flattery?

Steve

And here I was thinking about removing the trunklid lettering and fender badges for the "sleeper" look. I would rather have less people know I'm driving a Shelby. It seems that once they recognize it as a Shelby, they want to challenge you with their mini-van, honda with the garbage can exhaust, hybrid Toyota, etc.............. I'm thinking 6 cylinder badges on mine, less attention :hysterical:

While my 07 GT is no GT500, it is still about 450hp (supercharged). I use the sleeper look to my advantage and have replaced the GT badges with V6 Pony emblems, and even swapped out the front grill/fogs with the V6 Pony grill/fogs. So when some guys gets whooped by me, his buddies can all laugh at him endlessly because he got beat by what appears to be a V6 Mustang to the untrained eye. And yes, 6 cylinder visual clues do mean less attention, which is a good thing for my driving style.

DSC_0009-1.jpg

As for the posers with Cobra and Shelby badges all over their lesser Mustangs, all I can do is point and laugh at them when I see them! That would be like a guy with a Chevy Cavalier or Cobalt putting cross-flag emblems from a Corvette on his car or all the guys with Nissan Sentras putting GT-R or Skyline badges on them. I used to think it was just adolescents who did this, but now I'm seeing much older (mature?) men doing this. Perhaps they wanted a Shelby so badly but could not get one for whatever reason, so they are dressing up their lesser Mustangs to pretend they have the real thing? Whatever the reason, I feel badly for them.

Am blessed to own a car that many are trying to imitate its looks.....Once i had an issue with it, but after driving my car a lot i have no problem with that at all, no substitution to the real deal.

That tells me how great and how long the legacy of Mr Shelby will live...!!

It's a tribute to Mr. Shelby, his cars, and his legacy. If done though, it should be tasteful and not tacky.

I agree 100% if these are personal additions and it brings them one step closer to a brand they love, who's it hurting?

A

Thanks for the opinions all

Sure, it's not hurting anyone, but taste/tack sure comes into play. I almost spit my morning coffee all over my truck dash when I saw a bone stock mint green (or whatever color that is) GT with snakes stuck above the GT fender emblems and a GT500 trunk medallion.

I think most of it is due to people that just like the looks more than anything. Some can't afford the real deal but having one that just looks like it is all they care about.

I have always been a fan of the Shelbys from the 60's. There have been lots of clones made to look like them. I would not mind having one even if just a clone merely because of the looks. It has nothing to do with trying to fool people or make people think I have a Shelby. It would be strictly because I like the look.

I am just lucky that after 40 years I was actually able to get a real one!

Had I not been able to get one I was going to get the cervinis 300C kit that has the modern day look of the eleanor mustang. I like the look of those as well. And I like the look of the Saleen.

Thats what it is really about, a love for the cars not to pose as something that it is not. If someone approaches me about it, I tell them the truth. And at the moment I can't afford one but you never know what the future will bring. Believe me I want one real bad but I am only in my mid twenties so I have plenty of time to run across one for purchase before I pass.

here is a couple of pictures of a clone at Bobs BigBoy in Burbank CA last friday night. The only exterior give away is the lack of brembos on the front wheels and the color of the car and the strips. Hood,fenders, wheels, tires, snake badges, all from after market. Look inside and you see that the tach is on the left and the shifter has only 5 gears and then the 4 spoke steering wheel. We asked to see the engine as he claims to have installed a 5.4 engine just like the real thing but refuses to open the hood as he has installed some new things he is not at liberty to share. All I know is it sounds like a small block. The guy that owns the car is a nice guy but give me a brake, the money spent to clone this GT cost him more than buying a new GT500.

ShelbySteve

post-8657-1213315257.jpg

post-8657-1213315271.jpg

post-8657-1213315257.jpg

post-8657-1213315271.jpg

Yeah someone in my area is driving around in a poor excuse for a KR clone. He has the KR badges, top stripes and the KR side stripes. But the hood is clearly NOT a KR hood and it has the 2nd set of lights in the grill. I was totally disgusted to say the least. It's just too damn bad I was in my Saturn beater when I saw him. Had I been in the Shelby I'd have stuck my head out the window, pointed and laughed :hysterical3:

If you're gonna clone something, do it right.

Joe

To each their own. The sleeper look you mention above is fine but not for me. The imitation is the sinserest form of flattery comment is dead on too. And people can affort what they can affort. I actually wanted to SS my GT500, but am hooked on black w/red stipes and the SS only comes with a flat-black stripe. So, I'm good with it (and not quite as broke as I would be if I had SSed it)

I want people to know I'm driving one of Mr Shelby's finest. If anybody wants to run it, I just laugh. I don't NEED to prove it has awsome power and can kick most production car's a**s, everybody knows from the badging on the car. It would be like me asking someone with a GT500 that as been SSed. Everybody KNOWS how that would turn out. Silly to me. I would like to see one in person though and peek under the hood.

I also don't "usually" drive my rocket on wheels like a rocket on wheels (well, sometimes I just feel the need and have to). I drive pretty normal letting people get a good look. I can't tell you how many times I get a thumbs up, or people rolling down there window down when I'm stopped and ask "Is that, is that the 500HP Shelby?". Makes me feel great. Even when there is no asking or thumbs up, I can tell from the look in a next generation Mustang driver's eyes when he KNOWS what I'm driving. Priceless!

I even have people go out of their way and stop by me in a parking lot sometimes. Five times so far (Mustang new and old owners). Then get out with this look in their eyes, ask if they can look inside, under the hood, and all other kinds of questions about it. This one time, it was a guy that had his wife and son (10? yrs old) with him. His wife was not a car person. But the guy had a '64 1/2 mustang fastback when he was growing up and obviously told his son all about it and his son knew everything about the car.

That was very cool. I even let them both get in, and start it up (but not drive it of course) and rev it a little. Their eyes about popped out of their head when I said "would you like to sit in it and fire it up?". It TOTALLY made their day. Made me feel honored, proud and glad I could give that to em.

So I love the colors that pop, badging all over the place that say it is what it is, and feel no need to prove the muscle this puppy has when someone wants to run it. For any person that wants to run me, naaaaa....how 'bout I drive REALLY slow so you get a good long look instead? :D

I LOVE this car!

Just my $0.02

After looking at ShelbySteve's picture, can anyone explain to me why Ford didn't offer this color? You can't tell me that car isn't hot looking in Yellow. I was so afraid when I bought my '08 Vapor 'vert in January, that Ford was going to offer this color for '09!

post-9443-1213381580.jpg

Archived