TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Grabber: Another Clutch/Tranny bites the dust

CRQuarto

The master tech at Galpin confirmed that my 2008 had the bad tranny. He ordered a brand new one and clutch and is swapping it all out when the parts come in, THANK YOU for the great thread and the hunt for information you did that let me be knowledgable about this situation before it arose, now I am avoiding burning up clutches and not knowing why. I am going to try to order the KR shifter and have it put in per your advice.

Not 100% sure, I will have to check when I get out of work :P I want to say in November of last year, but I am not positive. I hope to have the shifter in time for the install, but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, as I may be able to get a set of JBA axle backs for a REALLY good price (brand new), so depending on if that goes through or not I may have to hold out on getting the shifter. Blah, no overtime makes for no mods!

Not 100% sure, I will have to check when I get out of work :P I want to say in November of last year, but I am not positive. I hope to have the shifter in time for the install, but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, as I may be able to get a set of JBA axle backs for a REALLY good price (brand new), so depending on if that goes through or not I may have to hold out on getting the shifter. Blah, no overtime makes for no mods!

The shifter is a free install with the tranny out.

You can do the mufflers anytime.

Yeah. Let us know. The build month is on the sticker in the driver side door jamb

Mine was built in February of 2008 and I'm hoping that it got the new tranny

The shifter is a free install with the tranny out.

You can do the mufflers anytime.

Very true. I am going to see what the actual cost of the exhaust is going to be after the discounts and such, and if the amount saved on it is more than the cost to get the shifter installed, ill do the exhaust, if not, ill have to use the credit card, which I really don't want to do, but I can't pass up a few hundred dollars worth of free install work and discounts on both the shifter and exhaust.

Yeah. Let us know. The build month is on the sticker in the driver side door jamb

Mine was built in February of 2008 and I'm hoping that it got the new tranny

Will do, but I am pretty sure you are safe, I think they started putting the new trannys in during the last part of 2007. Grabber would know better than I would, he has been tracking this stuff pretty well.

Will do, but I am pretty sure you are safe, I think they started putting the new trannys in during the last part of 2007. Grabber would know better than I would, he has been tracking this stuff pretty well.

See post #41 in this thread (also post #16). SVT told light 66 this:

Just called SVT. Great suggestion!

My 2008 was built on November 8, 2007. SVT verified that I have the latest of 3 transmissions: TUET 8175 B with 2008 part number. When asked, they also said the the "third" transmission begain installation on October 19, 2007.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...884&hl=TUET

Rob, do you have a link to the shifter? I am looking at the 2008 Summer Shelby Cataloge, and it is more than I remember you saying it was, so I am sure I am looking at the wrong shifter. I believe you said you paid $195 for yours? Was yours from FRPP?

Yeah i would like to know your build date also? Casue last sat when i was getting ready to put it up i was hearing a roaring/grinding noise at idle sounding like a (i know ford does not call it this but can't remember what "Grabber" said it was) throw out bearing. The noise was more noticeable coming down to idle. I have not checked it any further then that or had it out since then.

He said it is exhibiting all the same symptoms as the bad ones....hard shifting, clutch drag, ect. I would assume that is after driving it.

That's not confirming that you have one of the bad trannys.

According to your parts build sheet that the little birdie pulled....you have the latest and greatest tranny in your car.

I hope your not pulling it out for nothing.

I hope they are doing their homework.

That's not confirming that you have one of the bad trannys.

According to your parts build sheet that the little birdie pulled....you have the latest and greatest tranny in your car.

I hope your not pulling it out for nothing.

I hope they are doing their homework.

I agree, something is off, but from what I have heard/felt, and what he said he heard/felt, even though I may have one of the new trannys, it is exhibiting the same symptoms as the old ones....that can't be good.

I agree, something is off, but from what I have heard/felt, and what he said he heard/felt, even though I may have one of the new trannys, it is exhibiting the same symptoms as the old ones....that can't be good.

Birdie was just pointing out to me that your problem is most likely not the new style tranny.

Birdie does not know because birdie can not trouble shoot car.

Unless my tranny is in fact exhibiting the same issues for some reason...maybe I got a fluke? Ugh, well, the parts to swap out the tranny, clutch, ect are all on order and we will see if that eliminates the issue. It's all under warranty so no sweat off my back. I will let you know how it turns out and if it changes anything. Honestly, I am betting on the tranny just because after driving another GT500 at Galpin when we went shopping for my roommate I could feel a big difference. My clutch drags in nuetral with the clutch depressed (a LOT), the thing shifts harshly, all the same things that others were experiencing. Hopefully this fixes it.

CR,

It could be the master cylinder.

Did you know that the Ford Tech has access to a 6 page active document to trouble shoot the car to figure out what is wrong.

I wonder if he has read it! :headscratch:

CR,

It could be the master cylinder.

Did you know that the Ford Tech has access to a 6 page active document to trouble shoot the car to figure out what is wrong.

I wonder if he has read it! :headscratch:

I'll give him a call tomorrow and suggest that it might be the master cylinder, I would imagine he has read it, they do a lot of GT500's there I would imagine as they sell a ton of them, and he is the only one that touches them.

Unless my tranny is in fact exhibiting the same issues for some reason...maybe I got a fluke? Ugh, well, the parts to swap out the tranny, clutch, ect are all on order and we will see if that eliminates the issue. It's all under warranty so no sweat off my back. I will let you know how it turns out and if it changes anything. Honestly, I am betting on the tranny just because after driving another GT500 at Galpin when we went shopping for my roommate I could feel a big difference. My clutch drags in nuetral with the clutch depressed (a LOT), the thing shifts harshly, all the same things that others were experiencing. Hopefully this fixes it.

Sure sounds like the same or very similar problem to me. They will get it straightened out for you and it will be a thing of the past.

Sure sounds like the same or very similar problem to me. They will get it straightened out for you and it will be a thing of the past.

Agreed, and even if it turns out to be the master cylinder, with the synchros bumping the way they do and the clutch dragging, I am sure it has caused premature wear/damage that needs to be addressed anyways. As you said, it will all be sorted out I am confident of that.

You are the first guy with a 2008 new style tranny with a problem. I am just very curious to know what actually is wrong.

We will most likely never know....because they are just replacing everything.

When does your car go in for repairs ?

As soon as the parts come in, they said it would be a week or two. I'm also getting my first service done that day as well, so it should be a long one :P Hopefully I am the first and last to have an issue with the new tranny, and hopefully after this I wont have an issue at all. I will ask the tech to please do his best to identify what the problem item is if he can, and ill report back with my findings. I wish I could snatch up the old tranny after they rip it out, my roommate is begging me to for his saleen, haha! Poor guy.

Archived