TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Faux gas cap removal

shelbyguy470

OK, I just ordered the new "snake" GT faux gas cap. My problem is; I have the Carroll Shelby supercharged one on it already. Anyone have any ideas how I could removed the CS one without damaging the surface on the car????

Russ,

I would think that you can remove the emblem with a heat gun or hair dryer. This should loosen the tape behind the cap. The issue I see is there is not much room for you to pry the center insert off after you installed the first overlay. I would use something plastic to prevent scratching the ring.

Hope this helps,

Roger

Fishing line works great! If it's really stuck, try the heat gun and thin piano wire. Use a couple of pieces of wooden dowel rod for "handles" to wrap the ends of the line on. PS: Don't put this home made device around your neck, it's very dangerous! :hysterical:

SEF

AKA:

Fishing line works great! If it's really stuck, try the heat gun and thin piano wire. Use a couple of pieces of wooden dowel rod for "handles" to wrap the ends of the line on. PS: Don't put this home made device around your neck, it's very dangerous! :hysterical:

SEF

AKA:

Maybe that's why my neck hurt! Thank you all for the help. I just got the email saying my new cover is winging it's way to me. the main concern I have is the CS cover has a lip all the way around. I think getting under it is going to be the trick. The wife is gone this afternoon, off I go to get the hair dryer!!

RP

I knew exactly what you were saying in your original message. Let us know how you make out. It should do the trick in loosening the tape it is just getting under that lip without scratching the ring. I guess you could put blue painters tape around the ring for protection.

I knew exactly what you were saying in your original message. Let us know how you make out. It should do the trick in loosening the tape it is just getting under that lip without scratching the ring. I guess you could put blue painters tape around the ring for protection.

Thanks so much for your help. I heated the old one up with a hair dryer and carefully used a screw driver and blue tape and it came right off. It is a little dented, but then again, I don't have anything to put it on. They do look cool! :happy feet:

RP

Archived