TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's the best kind of wash mitt?

I've bought 2 different microfiber mitts since they always say that they won't scratch or cause swirl marks. So far though I notice swirl marks everywhere and it's very irratating when you spend time to clean but when u get close it kind of looks like s*&t. What are people happy with here?

What kind of soap are you using? Also, if your car is really dirty, use both wash mitts, and use the two bucket method. Have one bucket with your soap and water in it, and one with clean rinse water. Soap up a section, rinse the mitt out really well in the rinse water, then put it back in your soap water. Also, I would recommend using a grit guard in the bottom of the buckets. You can order them from Adam's Car Care, they help keep the wash mitt from touching any dirt or sediment that is settled on the bottom of the buckets. This may sound stupid, and you probably already know this, but make sure you really hose off the car prior to washing to dislodge any loose dirt. I honestly would say that the best car wash soap I have used is the Turtle Wax Ice, it has REALLY good lubricative properties to it. It really lifts and encapsulates the dirt.

I have used good quality sheepskin mitts as well as what I'm currently using - cotton chenille mitts. Make sure they are clean. I use a separate sponge and wash bucket to wash the wheels and tires - never the same stuff to wash painted surfaces.

http://www.autogeek.net/chenwasmit.html

Also never wipe the painted surfaces when dry - and I never use those California dusters. If the car is dusty, I'll wash it or rinse it off with water only.

I also use 100% cotton bath towels to dry - once one is damp, I switch to another dry one. I also use them to buff off polish. The towels are machine washed after each use with liquid detergent, double rinsed and machine dried without any fabric softener.

These towels are nice but expensive - I prefer 100% made in the USA cotton bath towels. My wife sews, so she cut them in half and sewed the edges with cotton thread to keep them from fraying.

http://www.microfiberplus.com/microfiber.htm

I have a Vista Blue coupe; I've been hand washing it every couple of weeks for nearly a year now and I have yet to encounter any visible swirls in the paint.

It's much more work to wash a car in such a way to prevent swirls but it's much more satisfying.

These sites offer some good tips:

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

http://www.detailcity.com/car-wash-buckets.html

http://stevemcconnell.com/recreation/carwash.htm (I don't recommend using a water blade like the author suggests)

I have found that the old cotton diapers from the baby era in my life work great. I use Zaino car wash also. Have done this for years now with no problems. And of course, do the wheeels with another cloth and seperate bucket of cleaner.

I've bought 2 different microfiber mitts since they always say that they won't scratch or cause swirl marks. So far though I notice swirl marks everywhere and it's very irratating when you spend time to clean but when u get close it kind of looks like s*&t. What are people happy with here?

You need to be very careful with microfiber. It's a synthetic material and cheap products will scratch.

Personally, I don't use wash mitts. I use a white 100% cotton hand towel, and I dry with a white 100% cotton bath towel. No scratches or swirls.

You need to be very careful with microfiber. It's a synthetic material and cheap products will scratch.

Personally, I don't use wash mitts. I use a white 100% cotton hand towel, and I dry with a white 100% cotton bath towel. No scratches or swirls.

I use microfiber towels - but only under the hood and on the wheels - never on exterior painted surfaces.

Meguiers gold is what i'm using for wash.

What kind of soap are you using? Also, if your car is really dirty, use both wash mitts, and use the two bucket method. Have one bucket with your soap and water in it, and one with clean rinse water. Soap up a section, rinse the mitt out really well in the rinse water, then put it back in your soap water. Also, I would recommend using a grit guard in the bottom of the buckets. You can order them from Adam's Car Care, they help keep the wash mitt from touching any dirt or sediment that is settled on the bottom of the buckets. This may sound stupid, and you probably already know this, but make sure you really hose off the car prior to washing to dislodge any loose dirt. I honestly would say that the best car wash soap I have used is the Turtle Wax Ice, it has REALLY good lubricative properties to it. It really lifts and encapsulates the dirt.

Meguiers gold is what i'm using for wash.

I've used it as well and it was what I stuck with for a long time, so that is not an issue. Honestly, I would order a high quality microfiber wash mitt from one of the more popular car products manufacturers, such as Adams, Griots, Zaino, ect. Again, use the two bucket method, and I personally use a Husky pressure washer on the medium setting (I have heard that the higher PSI settings can actually peel up your stripes), and blow off all the dirt from the front towards the back of the car, staying away from edges of the stripes and going in the direction of the stripes.

I never use a wash mitt on the car - just too many places to trap grit & rub it against the paint. Unfortunately, any color except white will be tough to keep the surface perfect.

Because of water use restrictions in GA - I'm forced to use a commercial car wash. I go to one where you drive in to the bay and use the pressure wand to wash the car. Although the soap they use is probably pretty cheap, at least it's only water and soap touching the car & I always dry it immediately first with a hand held squeegee then a couple of clean cotton terry bath towels. Has anyone seen any adverse effects from the soap used in the commercial car washes?

Has anyone seen any adverse effects from the soap used in the commercial car washes?

Aside from it being prone to stripping wax off, nope, I use those bays after it rains if I can't get over to the girlfriends house to wash the car myself (my apartment complex doesn't have a wash area). The only thing I stay away from is the tire/wheel cleaner, as its pretty harsh and can stain the stock wheels with that white residue look. I usually just go there once a week between washings and quick details to hit it with high pressure water, and then completely flood it with the spotless setting. Comes out looking perfect every time, and doesn't strip the wax off. I don't dry it except the windows so I can see out, as even with blasting it with high pressure water there is the risk of dirt being on the paint and being ground in if you dry it, so I just take it for a nice drive on the freeway to air dry it to a spotless finish. :happy feet:

I wax my car fairly frequently so I figure even if the car wash strips it I'll have another coat of wax on it before any harm is done. I used the "spot free rinse" at the wash today for the first time & maybe it was my imagination but I think it actually worked as advertised.

I wax my car fairly frequently so I figure even if the car wash strips it I'll have another coat of wax on it before any harm is done. I used the "spot free rinse" at the wash today for the first time & maybe it was my imagination but I think it actually worked as advertised.

Nope, not your imagination at all! Some people complain that they still get water spots, but I have a feeling they don't "wipe" the rinse water off with the deionized water properly. I found you basically have to push the rinse/wash water off from the top down and flood every crevice to get a complete rinse of any hard water. As for the wax, right there with you, I maintain about 5 coats worth which is just perfect I have found. Any more and you get buildup and it actually looks crappy, 5 coats worth gives it real depth and clarity.

I have been using a Boar's Hair Brush from Griot's Garage on my Z06 for 6 years....Depending on how often you wash, you can get 3+ years out of a brush....

Griot's Garage Boar's Hair Wash Brush

post-19027-1213255499.jpg

A good quality wash bucket is a key as well....I have used Griot's buckets as well for years.....two layers of grit/dirt fall out screens....also comes with wheels to save your back!

Griot's Bucket & Brush Combo

post-19027-1213255824.jpg

Never a swirl or scratch...!

Their car wash soap rocks too! A little goes a real long way!

post-19027-1213255499.jpg

post-19027-1213255824.jpg

Archived