TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Black cars!

Can someone help me out here!I've got a black Shelby and can't seem to find the right combo of stuff to actually remove scratches,Not just cover them up with wax,Fillers,Smoothers etc.

Can someone help me out here!I've got a black Shelby and can't seem to find the right combo of stuff to actually remove scratches,Not just cover them up with wax,Fillers,Smoothers etc.

I take mine to a detail shop and they can wax/buff most of the scratches out. If you are intent on doing it yourself, 3M makes some great products. Can't really tell you which ones due to lack of information and pics. How deep, how long, is the scratch in just the wax/clearcoat or is it through the black paint itself?

Clearcoat.Mainly wash marks and some really neat swirls that the dealer left after perfecting a paint imperfection and then bufffing and applying some super slick wax.I wdon't want to have to apply wax to make it look good every time I wash it to hide the swirls.Any help would be appreciated as they are driving me nuts.

Clearcoat.Mainly wash marks and some really neat swirls that the dealer left after perfecting a paint imperfection and then bufffing and applying some super slick wax.I wdon't want to have to apply wax to make it look good every time I wash it to hide the swirls.Any help would be appreciated as they are driving me nuts.

I have had simliar issues. I have managed to cover most of the swirls, small scratches with Zaino and over all she looks pretty good in natural light. Unfortunately when you look at the paint with bright halogen/flourescent light I can see every small imperfection. To resolve this I have ordered a Porter Cable dual action polisher, pinnacle swirl remover, all foam pads and good Microfibre towels to dry and buff the paint after washing. I will also wax/polish with Zaino when done to preserve the finish.

The Porter Cable and polish should arrive from AutoGeek this week. This should solve the problem that we are having.

Have a look at the before and after photos on AutoGeek or Autopia, truly amazing results. They also provide very good instructional videos for using a Dual Action Polisher with various tips/tricks.

The most comprehensive system I've seen is by 3M, it's a 3 step polish then wax system that gets finer with every application and then finishes with a wax (or multi coat wax).

A 3M rep came to our car club and explained the procedures. It's a lot like sanding a car, start with a heavy grit moving to lighter grit. The 1st removes the light haze/scratches the second removes whats left behind and the final polish removes swirls and the wax protects it.

If I had a black car, this is probably what I'd use. It's purely a professional grade product line, but I've seen nothing better for dark cars.

Although I'd probably use Adams Polishes or Zaino and finish with the Adam's Detail Spray instead of the 3M wax.

:-), that's why I got white...LOL

The most comprehensive system I've seen is by 3M, it's a 3 step polish then wax system that gets finer with every application and then finishes with a wax (or multi coat wax).

A 3M rep came to our car club and explained the procedures. It's a lot like sanding a car, start with a heavy grit moving to lighter grit. The 1st removes the light haze/scratches the second removes whats left behind and the final polish removes swirls and the wax protects it.

If I had a black car, this is probably what I'd use. It's purely a professional grade product line, but I've seen nothing better for dark cars.

Although I'd probably use Adams Polishes or Zaino and finish with the Adam's Detail Spray instead of the 3M wax.

:-), that's why I got white...LOL

I use the 3M perfect it rubbing compound for the worst scratches but Griots 4 lvls of polish will get most scratches out. Then a coat of Griots best of show and you're good to go :)

Thanks folks!I'll check into that stuff,And I mean all of the suggestions as these imperfections are driving me nuts.Maybe I already was,But this sure isn't helping.Shoulda gone White with Blue stripes,Damn! :hysterical:

Thanks folks!I'll check into that stuff,And I mean all of the suggestions as these imperfections are driving me nuts.Maybe I already was,But this sure isn't helping.Shoulda gone White with Blue stripes,Damn! :hysterical:

Black is not a colour - It's a career!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

You are right,It seems to be a new hobby!One i would like to perfect if at all possible.I seem to remeber using 3m perfect it some years ago and foam pads when I was working at a car lot to really pimp out the dark cars.Might have to hit a local paint shop.The dealer says that imperfections such as the swirl marks they added at no additional cost,Kinda like a free option,Are NORMAL.Uhh,OK.I'll buy that like a sheep led to slaughter! :hysterical: Witng for them to tell me today that the slight steering wheel shimmy i get at about 50mph is a "Charachteristic". :hysterical:

Try DriWash Solutions Oxygone. You can buy it in the Black Vert Mafia store at www.blackvertmafia.com. While I haven't used the Oxygone product, I have used the waterless carwash products and they do work excellently. Helps prevent watermarks and swirlmarks from the getgo.

Try DriWash Solutions Oxygone. You can buy it in the Black Vert Mafia store at www.blackvertmafia.com. While I haven't used the Oxygone product, I have used the waterless carwash products and they do work excellently. Helps prevent watermarks and swirlmarks from the getgo.

Very true Mike. The Oxygone is great stuff!

The Mafia rules all. :happy feet:

I use the 3M perfect it rubbing compound for the worst scratches but Griots 4 lvls of polish will get most scratches out. Then a coat of Griots best of show and you're good to go :)

+1 with the porter cable random orbital. Works great.

FOAM PAD FOAM PAD FOAM PAD FOAM PAD FOAM PAD FOAM PAD. GOT IT?

Are you telling me to look into a polisher with a foam pad? :hysterical: If I remeber right part of the 3M Perfect it system is a foam pad.I'll try a local paint store,They helped me out with some previous paint issues on another car and i remeber seeing the foam pads and Perfect it.Thanks all!Looks like a busy weekend in store.

Are you telling me to look into a polisher with a foam pad? :hysterical: If I remeber right part of the 3M Perfect it system is a foam pad.I'll try a local paint store,They helped me out with some previous paint issues on another car and i remeber seeing the foam pads and Perfect it.Thanks all!Looks like a busy weekend in store.

Griots sells the orbital with a foram pad system, they actually customize it shortening the throw on the orbital to minimize vibration and they add a different handle. Adams also sell the orbital and they have a slick foam pad system that I use, it has a quick release like a 3/8 ratchet that you can flip between the polish pad and wax pad.

Griots sells the orbital with a foram pad system, they actually customize it shortening the throw on the orbital to minimize vibration and they add a different handle. Adams also sell the orbital and they have a slick foam pad system that I use, it has a quick release like a 3/8 ratchet that you can flip between the polish pad and wax pad.

+1 on the Adam's setup, one of the best I have seen yet, and the one that I own :) Switching pads on that thing is a breeze, and unlike the velcro type, they stay perfectly centered, and have no backing to worry about accidentally touching to something like a mirror or spoiler.

How much does a setup like that cost?

believe it or not,i use the old stock liquid lustre wax.you know that pink coloured stuff.

i buy mine off ebay and i use it on all 4 of my cars. takes off most fine scratches and leaves a beautifull shine.easy to apply and take off. you can also wax the glass too with this stuff :slapfight: who the hell has time to wax the car in 3 stages anyways?

for the deaper scratches use mequires scratch X.

believe it or not,i use the old stock liquid lustre wax.you know that pink coloured stuff.

i buy mine off ebay and i use it on all 4 of my cars. takes off most fine scratches and leaves a beautifull shine.easy to apply and take off. you can also wax the glass too with this stuff :slapfight: who the hell has time to wax the car in 3 stages anyways?

for the deaper scratches use mequires scratch X.

What's the brand name of "the old stock liquid lustre wax"? I'd like to pick some up. I assume it's safe for clearcoat surfaces?

Thanks,

Scott

What's the brand name of "the old stock liquid lustre wax"? I'd like to pick some up. I assume it's safe for clearcoat surfaces?

Thanks,

Scott

scott,it is called "liquid lustre" , go on ebay and enter this name and there are a few sellers selling them in pairs of $9.99.

also it is safe for clear coat and all surfaces,i personally have been using that wax ever since it was realesed almost 20 years ago. i have tried other waxes but i always go back to using "liquid lustre".

this wax also cleans chrome very nicely too!

scott,it is called "liquid lustre" , go on ebay and enter this name and there are a few sellers selling them in pairs of $9.99.

also it is safe for clear coat and all surfaces,i personally have been using that wax ever since it was realesed almost 20 years ago. i have tried other waxes but i always go back to using "liquid lustre".

this wax also cleans chrome very nicely too!

Does it leave any white residue?

How much does a setup like that cost?

I received my polisher, pad kit, pinnacle polish x2 and some microfibre towels from Autogeek, cost was about $300.00 with shipping and tax. Polished the hood and front fenders with the Porter Cable polisher using the advanced swirl remover and then the finishing polish -results were absolutely flawless. Topped with two coats of Zaino and my black paint looks PERFECT. Did not polish the stripes (just Zaino). Well worth the investment!

I received my polisher, pad kit, pinnacle polish x2 and some microfibre towels from Autogeek, cost was about $300.00 with shipping and tax. Polished the hood and front fenders with the Porter Cable polisher using the advanced swirl remover and then the finishing polish -results were absolutely flawless. Topped with two coats of Zaino and my black paint looks PERFECT. Did not polish the stripes (just Zaino). Well worth the investment!

Thanks, can you post pictures? How long did it take to polish the car? Have you used a polisher like this before? A long time ago I was cautioned that you can hurt the paint if you are not trained to use it. I am sure the technology has changed since then.

Al

I just spend $400 from autogeek on a PC7424 HD (orbital buffer) and some orange, white and blue pads, got some poor boys clay kit, Menzerna nano polish, some Klearcote red moose glaze and Klearcote Moose wax, oh and also got some Klasse AIO

I have never used a buffer or even polished or waxed my own car but I am sick of paying the pros who do half ass work

I plan on trying my mothers black car first, then my DD black car and then when I am hopefully a pro, my black shelby :D

I will post before and after pics but yest I too am worried because I have been warned about using the buffer! and clay bar can leave marring marks as well!

yikes, I hope I dont run into any problems

+1 on the Adam's setup, one of the best I have seen yet, and the one that I own :) Switching pads on that thing is a breeze, and unlike the velcro type, they stay perfectly centered, and have no backing to worry about accidentally touching to something like a mirror or spoiler.

The DA style polisher does not generate heat like the standard buffer, so you won't burn through the paint.

Archived