TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Amsoil related questions

All,

I am almost ready for my 1,000 oil change and here are my options:

1- Stay with SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil and FL-820S oil filter every 2,500-3,000 miles

OR

2- Switch to Amsoil SAE 5W-20 XL Synthetic Motor Oil with Amsoil Oil Filter EAO11 every 5,000 miles.

I read somewhere that it is not good to switch to Full Synthetic @ 1,000. Engine should get synthetic more around more than 10K miles? Anyone can clarify this if it is true.

I have a concern with option #2 since this is not the oil recommended by Ford. If the engine has an issue in before 3y/36K Miles, what tells me that Ford will not blame it on the oil?

If you reply to give you opinion, it is fine. However, is there an official paper or statment that will protect me if this is happening if i decide to go with #2?

Thanks folks.

You will get bunches of opinions but I do not believe you will get anything official that will protect you with choice #2. I went to Mobil 1 filter and full synthetic oil at 500 miles. My two cents, but that is what my 58 years tells me will get the job done short and long term. Good luck with your quest.

Jim

All,

I am almost ready for my 1,000 oil change and here are my options:

1- Stay with SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil and FL-820S oil filter every 2,500-3,000 miles

OR

2- Switch to Amsoil SAE 5W-20 XL Synthetic Motor Oil with Amsoil Oil Filter EAO11 every 5,000 miles.

I read somewhere that it is not good to switch to Full Synthetic @ 1,000. Engine should get synthetic more around more than 10K miles? Anyone can clarify this if it is true.

I have a concern with option #2 since this is not the oil recommended by Ford. If the engine has an issue in before 3y/36K Miles, what tells me that Ford will not blame it on the oil?

If you reply to give you opinion, it is fine. However, is there an official paper or statment that will protect me if this is happening if i decide to go with #2?

Thanks folks.

There is no reason to wait until 10K. Engines do not need to be broken in with a special break-in oil as they did 50 years ago. In addition the Corvette and the Viper come from the factory with full synthetic.

re #2. Ford publishes specs for motor oils, etc. As long as your 5W-20 meets or exceeds the Ford specs there is no problem. You are not required, by federal law, to use Motorcraft oil and filters. The federal law is the Moss-Magnuson act. You do have to change your oil and filters and have all the required maintenance work completed as scheduled but you are not required to use Ford, or other dealerships, and their parts. BUT, the parts you use must meet the OEM specs. HO;WEVER, IF YOU CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL, FILTERS, ETC BE SURE TO DOCUMENT AND KEEP RECEIPTS!!!!!!!

+1 Amsoil 5-20 XL

I use the same oil and filter (11) on the 5.4 in the Navigator. Also run Amsoil in the 89 but use a Trasko filter, 'cause I care more about that 331. ;) The 331 in the GT 500 has the Trasko too...just waiting for Amsoil to make the 5-40 Ford requires.

Saleen 89-215

Archived