TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Feelin' no Love

backafter20

I went to a cruise this evening and didn't get what I expected. I know that the SGT's were poorly marketed, and this was a relatively small crowd, but no one there had any idea what my car was, including some guy with a GT500, and another with a Superformance Cobra. Anyone who bothered to look at my car asked me about the 500hp, which I expected to hear, but I found myself explaining that it wasn't that car, it was another car. (I was always having to explain to people that my Shelby-looking GT was not a Shelby, but rather just inspired by the styling of one. Now I have explain this car as well?) Then they'd ask how much hp the supercharger actually did put out. Maybe I should just make a sign? Anyway the guy with the GT500 certainly wasn't interested. My neighbor was there with his supercharged 06 GT. He wouldn't even come over and look at my car. He gave the impression that he considered it an appearance package only, and had no love for Mr. Shelby. He said I could get more hp for less money by bypassing the old man. I know that's true, but it's not the point. Is horsepower the only language that some people speak? Anyone else ever felt that 319 hp was something to apologize for? :shrug:

I did not buy this car to get attention, or as an investment. I bought it because the Shelby heritage meant something to me, and I intend to drive the snot out of it (as soon as I've got this manual-transmission-thingy worked out). I also don't need anyone's approval to think that my car is just the coolest thing I've ever seen. What I am surprised at is how few people really understand it. Maybe I need to hang around with a different crowd? (there were an awful lot of 60's Camaros there) I am just tickled to death with my car, but it might have been easier if Ford or Shelby had advertised it just a bit?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get used to all of the looks you WILL get and the questions that will follow.My Shelby GT,07' Performance white,Got more looks than my 500 gets.It's kind of like you are in a secret club and someday when people figure it out,It will be too late to buy a new one.More shit gets talked about the Shelby GT than any other car I had ever owned.Jealousy?Who knows,Who cares!Have fun with your car and screw the goobs like Ford who didn't advertise these a little better.Some dealers have salespeople that have no idea what the heck it is.I went with a friend about a month ago to a dealer in Kentucky to pick up an 08' Bullitt,I had already purchased mty GT 500.They had one in the showroom,The ADM was still 5K.They didn't even know you could put the dash lights on a Red/White/Blue pattern,But they sure knew it was worth 5K over :hysterical:

I went to a cruise this evening and didn't get what I expected. I know that the SGT's were poorly marketed, and this was a relatively small crowd, but no one there had any idea what my car was, including some guy with a GT500, and another with a Superformance Cobra. Anyone who bothered to look at my car asked me about the 500hp, which I expected to hear, but I found myself explaining that it wasn't that car, it was another car. (I was always having to explain to people that my Shelby-looking GT was not a Shelby, but rather just inspired by the styling of one. Now I have explain this car as well?) Then they'd ask how much hp the supercharger actually did put out. Maybe I should just make a sign? Anyway the guy with the GT500 certainly wasn't interested. My neighbor was there with his supercharged 06 GT. He wouldn't even come over and look at my car. He gave the impression that he considered it an appearance package only, and had no love for Mr. Shelby. He said I could get more hp for less money by bypassing the old man. I know that's true, but it's not the point. Is horsepower the only language that some people speak? Anyone else ever felt that 319 hp was something to apologize for? :shrug:

I did not buy this car to get attention, or as an investment. I bought it because the Shelby heritage meant something to me, and I intend to drive the snot out of it (as soon as I've got this manual-transmission-thingy worked out). I also don't need anyone's approval to think that my car is just the coolest thing I've ever seen. What I am surprised at is how few people really understand it. Maybe I need to hang around with a different crowd? (there were an awful lot of 60's Camaros there) I am just tickled to death with my car, but it might have been easier if Ford or Shelby had advertised it just a bit?

Well, be "tickled to death" about YOUR car and who cares what other people think or say. The fact of the matter is that it looks great and is FUN to drive. Has anything anybody said to you diminished your driving experience with the car? No!

My boss happens to own a Shelby GT and I have had the pleasure to drive it. I found the car to be a very appealing car stock; fun and nice to drive. It may not have the HP and torque of the 5.4L engine in the GT 500 but HP is not everything. If you want more HP in the Shelby GT you can easily get it without too much effort and investment. My boss threw on some shorty headers, a larger throttle body and a tune, and believe me, it has enough HP and torque to give it that fun factor on the backroads.

What Shelby has, and the reason I bought my GT 500, is that the car has character. Just today I was driving my car from the shop and I had two instances where drivers pulled out their cameras and took pictures of me driving on the road. What other car draws that kind of attention on the road. Not that I care about the attention. What matters most and is axiomatic is what I care about the Shelby brand. The car has character!

Enjoy your car and have fun driving the "snot" out of it.

Always remember this...

There's nothing like a Shelby.

Also, next to the Barrett Jackson SGT, your SGT-C is one of the rarest SGTs of all of them (1 of 219 produced). You better hang on to that bad a$$ Shelby as it may turn out to be one of the rarest Shelby's around. I agree with you though, it is meant to be driven and enjoyed at the same time.

As Mr. Shelby himself said on our boards recently "There will always be nay sayers...". Don't let anyone else spoil your fun.

Once in a parking lot at Walmart,I know I should shop elsewhere but they had the cheapest oil for my truck,A kid was staring at my GT500 when I walked out.He said he couldn't believe that a GT500 was parked ar Wally World like any other car.Mine is a daily driver and I gave him the grand tour as he had only seen them in magazines and was ecstatic,He also said it was cooler than his Grandfathers older Corvette.I told him thanks for the compliment but it was not cooler,But cool as and different than the Corvette.I hope I showed him some love and helped his appreciation for kick azz cars,Including his Gramps Vette.Those are the people that I concern myself with.Not the A-holes that slam a car they have never driven.BTW,Cool choice on the Grabber Orange,I had actually thought about having one shipped to Tennessee but there was a trade in involved and that made it tough.

new to this forum and car. love them both. We just got a 08sgt0934. what is a SGT-C?

As an 08',Mostly the fact that it is a Shelby GT in Grabber Orange.I'm going to at least give you a heads up as I'm sure there are people on here that know way more about the 07's.The 07' I'm thinking was a Northern or Southern California thing with a guage package standaed on the dash as a starter.Hopefully the California peeps will chime in on that one.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I knew I just needed to stay with the Shelby crowd, and someone would understand. Welcome BossBronco, and congrats on 934. A SGT-C is one of the 219 Grabber Orange SGTs produced in 08 and intended for the California market. They actually have "Shelby GT-C" on the sill plate. They were sent to California dealers, but are available on ebay to anyone. I'm not sure how 1977 got the impression that I had one, however. My car is one of the 2000 or so made in Vista Blue. And I do love it, regardless of what others may think. 319hp is nothing to sneeze at. :shift:

Good story 07SGT. I did have a wide-eyed little kid on a little bike with training wheels yell out "cool car!" the other day. No doubt his Dad taught him what to appreciate.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I knew I just needed to stay with the Shelby crowd, and someone would understand. Welcome BossBronco, and congrats on 934. A SGT-C is one of the 219 Grabber Orange SGTs produced in 08 and intended for the California market. They actually have "Shelby GT-C" on the sill plate. They were sent to California dealers, but are available on ebay to anyone. I'm not sure how 1977 got the impression that I had one, however. My car is one of the 2000 or so made in Vista Blue. And I do love it, regardless of what others may think. 319hp is nothing to sneeze at. :shift:

Good story 07SGT. I did have a wide-eyed little kid on a little bike with training wheels yell out "cool car!" the other day. No doubt his Dad taught him what to appreciate.

I misread your CSM No. as being in the SGT-C range. :fool: Anyways, your SGT is still as bad-a$$ as the other vista blue models. :)

You and I are the only 2 08 vista blue GT coupes in Denver so we are part of an exclusive club and I would not worry about those who do not understand the love of the Shelby..it has been the dream of many to own a Shelby and now you and I both have 1! Enjoy my friend and drive it like you stole it!! Life is to short for the negatives.........

Had couple next to me on my way to work earlier this week the woman got out her cell phone and pointed it out the window at my car going down the road at 50 mph and began takeing pictures, they pulled out in front of me and along side to snap what seemed to be several pictures and then waved and gave me the thumbs up sign . I didn't relize the attention this car brings until I started driving it!

ENJOY!!!!

Don't sweat it. I don't get any love for my Aveo5 Special Value Model, either. A lot of jealousy, I am sure. Not everyone can roll Korean.

:happy feet:

:headscratch: You can set the 'My Color' Dash lights to a Red/White/Blue pattern?? Really?? How do you do that? :waiting:

I too am member of this exclusive car club. At this point, I haven't ran into another SGT in MN much less a '08 Vista Blue SGT. . . .

I get a lot of "Dude - Nice Car!" "That's YOUR's?" I had some guy risk life and limb to run across a busy street to come talk to me about my SGT and his 2 GT500s - That was awesome!

I also get a lot of "Nice Decals" and that awesome, all too popular "Nice Baby Shelby"

Either way - being snubbed like you were - even by your neighbor wasn't cool. The 'Fellowship of the SGT' should know no bounds in my book.

My $0.02

Trevor

I heard two stories yesterday and your post made me want to share them. I am recently engaged and met my girl's whole family yesterday. One cousin asked if this was the "real" Shelby.. "the snake one". I went on to explain this car the GT500, then the Super Snake and finally the KR. Hopefully I taught her something and got past the "real Shelby" comment.

Then my soon to be brother in law (who owns a 1990 Saleen) told me he was out on his motorcycle visiting a friend who had just bought a 250 Ninja.... :hysterical3: Anyway, they were talking cars and his friend was telling him about this Mustang he would love to own, then about passed out watching the street... a Black Shelby GT went flying by as he yelled, "That's it, that's the car I'd give anything to have!", my future brother in law smiled and said, yup, that is my Sister's soon to be husband, that's his car. This was a nice little story I heard last night that made me smile and remember, some people do know this car, truth is only one person needs to love the SGT, you.

Jim

Wow...VERY strange. I go to cruise different cruise nights around Chicago.

If you're in the area here is a directory:

http://www.msutv.com/cruise.htm

And this car gets TONS AND TONS of looks and people LOVE it. I've had people ask to take their pics next to it, girls tell their boyfriends to get one, boys tell their parents they want one, and older guys talk about the Shelby they let pass by in the 60s.

I'm really floored by your experience because my has been seriously the exact opposite!

:headscratch:

I am afraid I do not understand your comment about having to explain to people that your car is not a Shelby but rather was only inspired by the styling. The SGT is the epitome of Shelby. It is every bit as much of a Shelby as the original GT 350's. Both were shipped directly from Ford to SAI and modified. Which is more than can be said of other vehicles. Your SGT is as much, if not more, Shelby than the other vehicles mentioned.

I have been blessed by owning 2 Shelbys. A 427 cobra (blue with white stripes - csx4788) and a 08 sgt-c (grabber orange with silver stripes - o8sgt0190). I always expected to get a lot of attention with the cobra, but I was surprised that the sgt gets way more attention than the cobra. EVERY time I stop for gas, someone wants to check it out. I also get lots of cool cars comments and thumbs up when I am driving. A very nice person on this forum who owns a gt-h followed me through several traffic lights and a u-turn just to check it out and talk with me. I think the experience of being ignored is definitely the exception rather than the rule (although most people who I do talk to think I have a 500 hp gt500). Good luck and like it has been said repeatedly - love and enjoy your car since YOU are the one who you should have bought it for (although I do understand the feeling of you / your car being disrespected).

John(;-)

OK, I always wanted this car to come with 385 HP from the factory, but that being said I have no reservations about owning this car what-so-ever. The people that are naysayers are just out and out JEALOUS because they know you have a pure Shelby and they don't. If you have something people like they slam it, because they don't have it. These cars are limited production cars and just like Motortrend said the Shelby GT came out #1 on the show down between the Rousch Stage 2 & Saleen S281, that just speaks for itself. I personally have never ever had anyone say one thing negative about my car, they always love it and I can never drive any where without someone asking about it and wanting to know more. Screw the jealous ones, they love it but just don't have it and most likely never will!

I am afraid I do not understand your comment about having to explain to people that your car is not a Shelby but rather was only inspired by the styling. The SGT is the epitome of Shelby. It is every bit as much of a Shelby as the original GT 350's. Both were shipped directly from Ford to SAI and modified. Which is more than can be said of other vehicles. Your SGT is as much, if not more, Shelby than the other vehicles mentioned.

No, it sounds as if he once had a Shelby clone on a new body Mustang, 2005-2008, and had to explain that was a clone. Now if I am wrong, well he is an...you get it I am sure.

69dejavu, swedeman was correct. I was referring to explaining my recently sold 05 GT, which was vaguely Shelby-looking. Ok, it did have snakes on the fenders, but no where did it say Shelby, except where the Man himself had signed the dash. The uninformed thought it was a Shelby because of the snakes and the GT300 rocker stripes. I don't have to explain my SGT as being a legitimate Shelby, but rather I have to explain that is doesn't have 500hp or a supercharger. Since few people know about the SGTs, they aren't quite sure what to think of my car, but since it isn't the GT500, they think of it as something less. Oh well, as I said, I'm happy with it, and that's all that matters. Below, my old GT, and my new SGT:

post-12805-1212879808.jpg

post-12805-1212879817.jpg

post-12805-1212879808.jpg

post-12805-1212879817.jpg

They are/were both beautiful cars. Don't worry about the explaining thing. You will find that it is a given. I still get asked about the HP. Seeing as how I have a Whipple it becomes an easy explaination. Just enjoy the heck out of the car.

I get the same question down here in Miami because the only Shelby they know is the GT500....and the second question is "how does it feel to have 500 HP?" And so I have to explain to them the whole story.....and suddenly they kind of think that my SGT is a "fake" Shelby and walk away mumbling....only to see what they drive are mostly pieces of :censored:....not to knock on other folk's ride but you make fun of mine the same favor you will get back. As someone has said, they are mostly jealous that they don't have it because as soon as I turn on the car and the exhaust note comes alive they take a second look and so I rev it a bit more as I pass right by them and smile at their :hysterical3: car.....let them hate on us is what I say....to own one of these vehicles alone says you have great taste!!!! Rock on :rockon: !!!!!!

ShelbyHomestead011.jpg

I get those questions all the time, too. I'm sure we all do.

I was at my 1st car show today. The Shelby got a LOT of looks. Of course most thought it had 500HP. :banghead: I answered a million questions and said thanks a bunch of times to people that thought my car was awesome! Everybody really liked the FIA stripes. (Thanks Roger)

One man and his wife were looking and the man really liked it, but his wife went on and on about how you could buy the Powered by Ford emblems and you could get the stripes, etc... I got the feeling he wanted one and they already owned a 05-08 Stang. He walked away scratching his head! :hysterical:

5123show01.jpg

Here's ELITE1's sweet GT500...

ELITE1.jpg

Had a great time...

Look at my friend Mike's 50 Olds

50olds.jpg

Dan

We get the same uneducated reaction around us. My wife and I took our GT500 and SGT to a car show in Tomah, WI and no one knew what her car was. We had to explain that it is the Shelby GT that goes to Vages for mods not the GT500 unless you get the after title package for the SS or if you want a KR. I don't think people around here read many car mags.

Hi backafter20!!!!!

First off I'd like to say a big HI! I live in Denver and own Shelby GT convertible #1375.

Secondly, please call me (PM me for my cell#) next time you get together with other mustang owners for a cruise. We (me and the husband) went on Colorado Stangs' Poker Run on April 19 with approx 50 other stangs and it was AWESOME! I loved every minute of it. If you haven't already, check out their site at coloradostangs.com. The forums are more generic mustang stuff but you can check out their events. My husband's friend of 30 years from NYC lives out here also and turned me on to this group. They are all a bunch of great people with appreciation and respect for Shelby's and non-Shelby's alike.

You must come out July 18 to Bandimere for Club Clash as well so we can meet and park our perfect cars next to each other. There's a club clash in June but we're out of town. If you don't know what Club Clash is, it's a bunch of car clubs from the front range and we all run for points for our respective club. We ran our Shelby for the first time (video on this forum somewhere about baby's first steps) and we got a 15.475. People run everything and anything from metro geo's to F350s to motorcycles. It doesn't matter what you drive as long as you're drivin! We get there around 4pm, btw.

OK, third - holy crap did you buy a manual tranny without knowing how to drive one?? I ask BECAUSE I DID! I tried three other times early in my 30-odd years of living to learn a manual transmission and always gave up. But when it came down to ordering Shelby last October the only way I could convince the husband to let me do it was to get a manual tranny. I can drive her now but I get really wicked nervous and anxious so I always let the husband take over. I'm trying to tell myself having a driver (the husband) really is a step up in life. It's great to know someone else out there bought a car they didn't know how to drive.

And third, about the feeling no love thing - eff em. Call me up and we'll roll through there like nobody's business. We may not be the fastest but gawd are we the prettiest!!!!!

Are you around during the week or weekend? Perhaps we can get together at an outdoor cafe with safe parking (even Sonic would work) so we can swap stories, love each others cars, and even exchange some manual tranny tips!

Take care!

Melissa

As an SGT owner myself, I understand what your folks are saying; I have to do a lot of explaining myself.

But I also have to sheepishly admit....I don't know a whole lot about all the other performance cars out there on the road! I can tell a Corvette from a Charger, of course, but knowing the finer points of all the various sub-types is beyond me.

And when it comes to imports, well this old(er) doggie is totally lost.

In my mind it's kinda fun owning a car that's a bit of a mystery to others. It's being stealthy in plain sight.

Kevin

Archived