TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010MY GT350/GT350R

If a GT350/GT350R is in the works for 2010MY, here's a few ideas to consider. The GT350 as the base car and the GT350R as the 45th Anniversary package from SAI.

A lighter build

4.6 or 5.0 motor (Super Charged or Turbo/TT)

Optional Griggs Suspension/brakes

17"/18" wheels (FR500 runs 18X10's all 4 corners)

Rally style hood that extracts more heat

Complete rear seat delete option

Roll Bar option

Funtional side scoops to bring air in the rear wheels/brakes

Front brake ducts

If a GT350/GT350R is in the works for 2010MY, here's a few ideas to consider. The GT350 as the base car and the GT350R as the 45th Anniversary package from SAI.

A lighter build

Roll Bar option

Front brake ducts

would be great but absolutly no 4.6L in a shelby

• 1 month later...

A lighter build

Roll Bar option

Front brake ducts

How about cooling ducts from other spots (ie, under frame like the Super Snake)? Scoops have problems inherent in their design-- they catch stuff, collect debris in the hose, etc. I had a '67 350, and I saw these issues first-hand, even with a drainage tube running out the bottom...which you needed to clear out too.

Granted, it's a nod to the past, but there are other ways of cooling the brakes that are less problematic.

Heat extraction on an 'R' model would be great, imo, as well as the rear seat delete.....

All nice ideas, but I don't see how they can do all this and price it for less than a GT500. It will be interesting to see if and how it comes out.

I also agree... all great suggestions. Except I expect that the supercharger to be

part of an upgrade SAI would offer on top of the base GT350. Any R version would

not have it, since every race series I could see them want to get approved by

(SCCA T2, NASA AI, GRAND-AM GS) would not allow it.

As for cost, has there been confirmation of a GT500 for MY2010+? I've always

thought of the GT350 as its SVT/SAI replacement.

I've also read rumors of a possible IRS option in the future Mustang platform, but

I can't find that source anymore. Makes sense if Ford wants to market the BOSS to

live axle quarter-mile folk, and the GT350 to track folk. After all, early Shelby Mustangs

were known more for their handling than major power upgrades.

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

My "perfect" GT-350 would be...

Normally 5.4L Aspirated Aluminum Bock with 400 HP and 400 lbs of torque

Tremec 6-speed with a performance shifter

Big Brakes with the ducts and hoses in the truck (for the track guys)

Air-to-oil power steering fluid cooler

High capacity cooling system

Auxiliary engine oil coler

A performance suspension with adjustable shocks (Similar to current Shebly GT’s not the Bullet)

A cloth interior bolstered like the GT500

The GT500 steering wheel

No NAV

The base radio

No “fancy” dash stuff

This would be the fun car not a bloated 4000 lb car.......

A performance suspension with adjustable shocks (Similar to current Shebly GT’s not the Bullet)

The GT500 steering wheel

No NAV

The base radio

No “fancy” dash stuff

i agree..just go with the 5.0L..my problem is i have doubts ford and sai are willing to supply the market with such a car..

i agree..just go with the 5.0L..my problem is i have doubts ford and sai are willing to supply the market with such a car..

Bull,

it's just not quite as easy as you might think. If we build a GT350, it's not if we would be willing, but is it feasible to build, at a price that is reasonable?

There are many,many other things to consider-- like performance/cost/buildability/reliability/safety/emissions, etc, etc, etc, etc, and we don't ever want to build junk either.

It's just not as easy as you may think. On top of that it has to look, sound and perform like a Shelby.

So if the car came in at $98,000 and had everything everyone wanted, I am pretty sure that just about everyone would be mad at the price.

On the other hand., if it came in at $35,000 and had nothing anyyone wanted I am also pretty sure people would be upset about the content.

AND--if we built a race car, emissions would not be an issue, but safety would. And what about those who want a street version because they would never race???

So I hope you understand a little better, it's not simply a matter of will. It has to make sense to build a GT350-- or any other car that we would put the Shelby badge on.

I hope this helps give you some perspective as to what we look at when we even think about building any car we would call a "Shelby".

Chris

Bull,

it's just not quite as easy as you might think. If we build a GT350, it's not if we would be willing, but is it feasible to build, at a price that is reasonable?

There are many,many other things to consider-- like performance/cost/buildability/reliability/safety/emissions, etc, etc, etc, etc, and we don't ever want to build junk either.

It's just not as easy as you may think. On top of that it has to look, sound and perform like a Shelby.

So if the car came in at $98,000 and had everything everyone wanted, I am pretty sure that just about everyone would be mad at the price.

On the other hand., if it came in at $35,000 and had nothing anyyone wanted I am also pretty sure people would be upset about the content.

AND--if we built a race car, emissions would not be an issue, but safety would. And what about those who want a street version because they would never race???

So I hope you understand a little better, it's not simply a matter of will. It has to make sense to build a GT350-- or any other car that we would put the Shelby badge on.

I hope this helps give you some perspective as to what we look at when we even think about building any car we would call a "Shelby".

Chris

fair enuff..if it is not available ill just look elsewhere...

A performance suspension with adjustable shocks (Similar to current Shebly GT's not the Bullet)

The GT500 steering wheel

No NAV

The base radio

No "fancy" dash stuff

I think you're referring to a new Challenger, not a GT500? Have you driven one? Doesn't feel "bloated" to me.

You want a Mustang race car? Look no further. New, direct from Ford, just like a GT350 at Ford Racing, see the FR500C or FR500GT Mustangs for sale.

fair enuff..if it is not available ill just look elsewhere...

That's entirely your choice. Cars of caliber take time to develop and test, it's not a microwave item.

If we do ever introduce a GT350, it will be a killer, and if you choose to go elsewhere it would be your loss.

Cris, some people can never be happy. You give us great Shelby vehicles available to us today and this guy still complains. :baby:

That's okay, I never expect to make everyone happy all the time. Like I always say, good things come to those who wait! ;)

Hope you and SS are doing well, maybe I will see you both again at Tasca day on Sept 6th?

Chris

That's entirely your choice. Cars of caliber take time to develop and test, it's not a microwave item.

If we do ever introduce a GT350, it will be a killer, and if you choose to go elsewhere it would be your loss.

That's okay, I never expect to make everyone happy all the time. Like I always say, good things come to those who wait! ;)

Hope you and SS are doing well, maybe I will see you both again at Tasca day on Sept 6th?

Chris

again fair enuff..and i am out here waiting..prove me wrong

I would still like to see an R model. I race (ok, high speed touring) my 97 Cobra and I have put plenty of cash in it. I would love to have a Shelby under me! I dont need another street car and If I did, I would go for the current SGT

I can understand the price issue. As discussed before there isn't a lot of wiggle room between the MSRP of a Shelby GT and a GT 500... I'm assuming a GT 350 would be priced between the two. If so then it's gotta have more than 320hp and less than 500hp at the crank, with 410 hp would be the middle point between the two.

One option might be to supercharge the next generation V6. The Terlingua gets mid 375 hp out of the old 4.0. So 400+ should be within the realm of possibility for the next gen V6. Another plus is that it would be lighter too.

I think you're referring to a new Challenger, not a GT500? Have you driven one? Doesn't feel "bloated" to me.

You want a Mustang race car? Look no further. New, direct from Ford, just like a GT350 at Ford Racing, see the FR500C or FR500GT Mustangs for sale.

From "AUTO BLOG "The downside of the new block is a significant weight penalty. The GT500 carries about 550 lbs more mass than a regular GT, with most of it over the front axle. Of course, not all of that is due to the engine. Some comes from additional equipment installed in the Shelby. The GT500 weighs in at a porky 3,920 pounds with the balance shifting from the GT's 54/46 to a more nose heavy 57/43."

You are right I used the wrong words it's not "bloated" just nose heavy (3920 vs 4000lbs). With an aluminum block and no supercharger the fictional “G.T. 350” some of us would like, “could be more balanced” than the current GT500. Just like the G.T. 350’s back in the 60’s.

My car sees about 75% of it's use on the track along with a bunch of guys who had SN95/New Edge Cobras and Mustangs but traded up to SN197's because of the better platform and vehicle dynamics.

Yes I did get to drive the GT500 down at Brandon Ford and I did a couple of hot laps at the track....the power is intoxicating......but I still like my car’s crisp turn-in and more neutral handling. I could do a bunch of suspension tuning but with prices 10K over MSRP, I'm turned off. Additionally of the five or six GT500’s I’ve seen during open track days they all had overheating problems (after about 20 minutes at 8/10ths - 9/10ths the cars went down on power and the owners had to run a lap or two at 5/10ths before they could run hard again), but it was about 95-98 degrees with very high humidity.

The FORD/Shelby/Boss I was describing could be built, just don't limit the car. That puts all the speculators in the game to make a buck. I want, no there are many folks who wish for a FORD/Shelby/Boss in the 35-40K range without the mark-ups as described above that isn't as "nose heavy". The Shelby GT is such a car but for the price I believe it's a little down on power. That 's my opinion and there maybe a lot of folks on the board that may want to string me up for saying that.

Shelby only built 26 of the G.T. 350Rs as the are called today the rest were street legal go fast cars.....

Now back on earth; as far as a full race FR500C or FR500S if you’re willing to spot me the money I’ll gladly take on the duty of being your man in the cockpit………….They just don’t pay folks in the military quite that well.

I've attached a photo of my car (one of none) and I don't have 29K in it. I couldn't get into a Shelby GT for that and I'm not going into debt just to get a new Mustang until I see the car I want.

So I will keep dreaming of a G.T. 350 with all the goods for open tracking straight from the factory.

"unlike car racing, golf, football, and soccer only require one ball"

IMG_0663.jpg

SVTOASEBRINGMay24-252008DL-13040.jpg

"unlike car racing, golf, football, and soccer only require one ball"

GT-350, hold out for the GT 350. You already have the perfect username. :)

[/quo

i see no reason for ford not to build the gt350 alongside the gt500 at AAI...if sai cannot or wont then i hope ford just does...ive been in 428 CJ (gt500) when not to far from new..personally the gt350 was by far the better ride (67 onward)...

GT-350, hold out for the GT 350. You already have the perfect username. :)

That I am. Amy B has posted here and on other sites that a G.T. 350 will be coming sometime and I'm very patient

BTY I'm in the USAF stationed at MacDill assigned to SOCOM (no not the game) how 'bout you?

The FORD/Shelby/Boss I was describing could be built, just don't limit the car. That puts all the speculators in the game to make a buck. I want, no there are many folks who wish for a FORD/Shelby/Boss in the 35-40K range without the mark-ups as described above that isn't as "nose heavy". The Shelby GT is such a car but for the price I believe it's a little down on power. That 's my opinion and there maybe a lot of folks on the board that may want to string me up for saying that.

Shelby only built 26 of the G.T. 350Rs as the are called today the rest were street legal go fast cars.....

Now back on earth; as far as a full race FR500C or FR500S if you’re willing to spot me the money I’ll gladly take on the duty of being your man in the cockpit………….They just don’t pay folks in the military quite that well.

I've attached a photo of my car (one of none) and I don't have 29K in it. I couldn't get into a Shelby GT for that and I'm not going into debt just to get a new Mustang until I see the car I want.

So I will keep dreaming of a G.T. 350 with all the goods for open tracking straight from the factory.

I agree with you 99%. The 1% disagreement is about the SGT: at MSRP it did seem too much for

the power it provided, but at current discounts it's a bargain. I think most folk in these forums agreed

with that assessment.

But Chris and others have pointed legitimate cost issues. (And I'm with you about ADMs, but I

fear anything new with the Shelby name on it will command that no matter what.)

So, to get a Mustang with the 400HP engine (bull is correct in that it will be based on the 5.0L)

and tranny combo you want for $35K, it will have to be built at AAI just like the Bullitt. Let's call

this the BOSS. To add the other goodies you want to make it a GT350 (street) through SVT

or SAI, then you're talking $40K+ easy, closer to $45K. Is there a market for that beyond a

few of us nuts? Perhaps as an option package through SAI on a stripe delete BOSS.

Regarding the FR500S, FR500C, etc., amen... my civilian and reserve pay don't come near those

figures.

-Tom

That I am. Amy B has posted here and on other sites that a G.T. 350 will be coming sometime and I'm very patient

BTY I'm in the USAF stationed at MacDill assigned to SOCOM (no not the game) how 'bout you?

I'm in Norfolk at JFCOM getting ready to retire after 20 years...in fact I'm working on my retirement speech right now.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with you 99%. The 1% disagreement is about the SGT: at MSRP it did seem too much for

the power it provided, but at current discounts it's a bargain. I think most folk in these forums agreed

with that assessment.

But Chris and others have pointed legitimate cost issues. (And I'm with you about ADMs, but I

fear anything new with the Shelby name on it will command that no matter what.)

So, to get a Mustang with the 400HP engine (bull is correct in that it will be based on the 5.0L)

and tranny combo you want for $35K, it will have to be built at AAI just like the Bullitt. Let's call

this the BOSS. To add the other goodies you want to make it a GT350 (street) through SVT

or SAI, then you're talking $40K+ easy, closer to $45K. Is there a market for that beyond a

few of us nuts? Perhaps as an option package through SAI on a stripe delete BOSS.

Regarding the FR500S, FR500C, etc., amen... my civilian and reserve pay don't come near those

figures.

-Tom

The tough part is--when you are building a new car, you want it to have its own identity, both aesthetically and in its performance. It's not as easy as you may think.

You also have safety, build, quality aspects on a car that will have relatively limited production. Limited production always drives prices up. Also, costs of everything- as we all know- have all gone up lately.

With a car as important as the GT350, you really want to consider what performance and aesthetic attributes the car must have. We want these cars to be attractive to the right crowd (most of us), right?

On the surface it may look easy, but when you begin drilling down into it- really drilling into it- it's not quite as easy as it seems. We ALL know what WE like, but do we all know what everyone else likes, at a price that is reasonable-- with all of these other attributes still in place? Not as easy as it may seem! ;)

Chris

The tough part is--when you are building a new car, you want it to have its own identity, both aesthetically and in its performance. It's not as easy as you may think.

You also have safety, build, quality aspects on a car that will have relatively limited production. Limited production always drives prices up. Also, costs of everything- as we all know- have all gone up lately.

With a car as important as the GT350, you really want to consider what performance and aesthetic attributes the car must have. We want these cars to be attractive to the right crowd (most of us), right?

On the surface it may look easy, but when you begin drilling down into it- really drilling into it- it's not quite as easy as it seems. We ALL know what WE like, but do we all know what everyone else likes, at a price that is reasonable-- with all of these other attributes still in place? Not as easy as it may seem! ;)

Chris

+1, couldn't agree with you more. it also takes alot of time and patience

+1, couldn't agree with you more. it also takes alot of time and patience

Why doesnt SAI offer the GT350 as an upgrade to the current Shelby GT. Myfear is even if you build one, the cost will go through the roof because of ADM's.

I can't wait to see the new Shelby GT 350 too but if you don't have the patience... the deals on Shelby GTs are excellent now, some below invoice.

Although the SGT is not a GT 350 it shares a lot of the same heritage, was built "using the same recipe as the GT 350" according to the Shelby Annual 2007 magazine, and has an undeniable lineage going back to the vintage GT 350H/350.

Also the original GT 350 was 306 HP / 390 HP SC and the SGT is 319 HP / 400-500+ HP for the GT/SC depending on the model of SC.

Duckworth-3.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The S-GT is an incredible deal right now, no doubt. It has excellent driving attributes and you can drive it all day. Add an S/C (preferably at SAI's shop or one of our authorized shops) and you have a certified monster.

For those of you who have not ridden in a GT/SC, I would highly recommend that at the next meet you plead your way into a ride. You will be stunned...

For those of you with patience........................................................................

................................................................................

................................................................................

we all appreciate it. ;)

Chris

Archived