TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Grabbed a GT500 Brochure today

LSR

Went cruising in my buddies GT500 today, as he took me for a demo ride to check out his new exhaust. Man, what a sound. We also stopped by the dealer were he bought it to show his salesmen. While they were gone I grabbed 07 Mustang brochure today and all of the GT500 info. is inside; specs, color chart, pictures, etc. as well as the all other Mustangs offered. The C/S, GT, and V-6.

Brochure has a Grabber Orange Mustang GT on the front with Ashley Force spinning the tires.

I was told the new 07 Ford Racing catalog is due in November.

Florida Chris, he purchased the Ford racing exhaust. And man, it sounds deep and throaty. In 6th gear at 65 mph, all you hear is that deep rumble.

I will be ordering the Ford Racing exhaust as well. The quality and appearance is very nice. As well as the price.

post-3039-1157233274_thumb.jpg

post-3039-1157233274_thumb.jpg

Guest evilchris

I thought of ordering these also do you know if there was much interior noise just cruising around...say at 35-45mph. I'm used to a nice rumble, but don't wish to have that vibrating sound some exhaust give just cruising through the back roads. Any info would be appreciated.

The pics he posted are Borla "S" mufflers, nickname stingers. They make them for FRPP. They sound good, but have HORRIBLE drone in certain RPM ranges. If you want a good WOT sound, but silence cruising, go with Corsa.

Guest evilchris

Is this what you have personally heard or just what others have said. Sound bytes I have heard do no justice.

I've got both the 11750 Borla S kit and the Corsa 14311 kit. I bought the Borla kit in stock at A1 here in San Diego and the Corsa's on ebay after I used the Borla's for 1 day. I couldn't stand the drone at 1600 - 2100. The Corsa is not as loud nor agressive but "good enough", and the zero drone was worth it.

Of course I only have a piece of shit GT and am envious and jealous of LSR and haven't heard them on the GT500 ( uses same kits I have ). I'd expect similar results though.

Guest evilchris

Great info thank you. :yup:

NP, I will say the Borla S type kit sounds *awesome*. Seriously. I've got loud 5.0's and wanted something with a bit better manners for my 07 though and Corsa fit the bill.

If Borla could make a muffler kit with equivalent sound but kill the drone I'll buy my 3rd pair of mufflers for my 10 day old car!

I didn't want to wake up the neighbors everytime I left home and didn't want the wife complaining when just cruising for hours. :wacko:

Anybody know if Magnaflow has offered up a set yet and if they sound good? In the past magnaflows sound very similar to Flowmasters but I've heard they're typically lower restriction -- no first hand knowledge on this tho, that's why I'm asking.

<edit:> fyi, I read somewhere recently that the GT500 exhaust is actually a bit more restrictive than the GT because the 83db-max spl Ford must certify to could not be met with the same exhaust as the GT due to the addtional noise energy from the blower and larger tire widths on the GT500, so they had to spec a slightly quieter/more-restrictive muff to hit the cert spec.

I read somewhere recently that the GT500 exhaust is actually a bit more restrictive than the GT because the 83db-max spl Ford must certify to could not be met with the same exhaust as the GT due to the addtional noise energy from the blower and larger tire widths on the GT500, so they had to spec a slightly quieter/more-restrictive muff to hit the cert spec.

That is true. I spoke with the Ford engineer that did the work a couple of weeks ago. The GT500 has the same muffler that is on the automatic GT. It did not meet noise tests with the manual GT muffler. I have swaped mine for the manual GT muffler and it does sound a bit better.

That is true. I spoke with the Ford engineer that did the work a couple of weeks ago. The GT500 has the same muffler that is on the automatic GT. It did not meet noise tests with the manual GT muffler. I have swaped mine for the manual GT muffler and it does sound a bit better.

For you guys that might be interested in a complete system including headers, you might want to hang tight for a a couple months. I am working with a shop to develop them, but they asked that I don't post their name just yet. Too many phone calls. I will keep you all posted. :car:

Anybody know if Magnaflow has offered up a set yet and if they sound good? In the past magnaflows sound very similar to Flowmasters but I've heard they're typically lower restriction -- no first hand knowledge on this tho, that's why I'm asking.

<edit:> fyi, I read somewhere recently that the GT500 exhaust is actually a bit more restrictive than the GT because the 83db-max spl Ford must certify to could not be met with the same exhaust as the GT due to the addtional noise energy from the blower and larger tire widths on the GT500, so they had to spec a slightly quieter/more-restrictive muff to hit the cert spec.

We put magna flow on ours and it sounds really good when your on the gas and mild when your cruising. Pretty happy with them.

I couldn't stand the drone at 1600 - 2100. The Corsa is not as loud nor agressive but "good enough", and the zero drone was worth it.

EC - what kind of "drone" is it? Kind of like a resonance throughout the system, or a "buzzing" at the back?

Guest evilchris

EC - what kind of "drone" is it? Kind of like a resonance throughout the system, or a "buzzing" at the back?

Resonance, vibration in the cabin. Some people don't seem to care but I did. It depends on what you're going for. I have mega loud, mean 5.0s, but I wanted this car a little mellower. If you want a badass tone and want to be noticed, go with the Borla.

You could even go further and install SLP LM1's. That would be hilarious on a GT500.

Resonance, vibration in the cabin. Some people don't seem to care but I did. It depends on what you're going for. I have mega loud, mean 5.0s, but I wanted this car a little mellower. If you want a badass tone and want to be noticed, go with the Borla.

You could even go further and install SLP LM1's. That would be hilarious on a GT500.

Ok, thanks. That would get old fast for me. I'm more of a "mellow growl" kind of mood recently. A little

"burble" at idle, but not obnoxious at speed. I still like to be able to talk to the passengers from time to time!

Anyone heard the Ford Racing M5230-GTA Exhaust vs the 5GT by borla talked about above? It's considerably cheaper but have know idea what they sound like. The GTA's are what is included in the drag packs

Must be same as the GT-H then... Chris, how did the GT-H you rented sound compared to your stock GT? Noticeable diff? I'm asking because the GT500 supposedly has the same muffs as the 5-spd GT (the auto-GT has less restrictive muffs but those would not meet 83db cert on the GT500). So the diff betw the stock 5-spd GT and the GT-H should be analygous (sound-change wise) to putting the GTA-pak on the GT500, I think.

Guest evilchris

Must be same as the GT-H then... Chris, how did the GT-H you rented sound compared to your stock GT? Noticeable diff? I'm asking because the GT500 supposedly has the same muffs as the 5-spd GT (the auto-GT has less restrictive muffs but those would not meet 83db cert on the GT500). So the diff betw the stock 5-spd GT and the GT-H should be analygous (sound-change wise) to putting the GTA-pak on the GT500, I think.

You know what, I have a video my wife took of me revving the GT-H in Sequoia National Park! I'll post it when I get home.

At cruise there was virtually no difference GT to GT-H, but when you hit WOT, the GT-H was much louder. The idle was a little more burbly too. No resonance and drone like the S type ( Stingers ). I believe the GT-H has the 50 state legal FRPP's.

You have it backwards. The GT500 has the quieter automatic GT mufflers from the factory. I have swapped my GT500 mufflers for the louder stick shift GT mufflers. The car is a little louder now. My guess is many would still think it is too quiet.

I put JBA stainless mufflers on my Gt500. They have a very nice sound without being too loud. Also could feel the difference.

Glad to know that, that is one mod I want to do to mine. Those JBA guys built an engine for me in 1991 and put some flowmasters on for me. Even to this day I get questions about that great sounding exhaust in my 1972 Mach I.

Glad to know that, that is one mod I want to do to mine. Those JBA guys built an engine for me in 1991 and put some flowmasters on for me. Even to this day I get questions about that great sounding exhaust in my 1972 Mach I.

hey Larry

getting excited yet? Shelby's only a few weeks off. I'll give you a call in the next couple of days for a quick beer run, this weekend?

take care

John

You have it backwards. The GT500 has the quieter automatic GT mufflers from the factory. I have swapped my GT500 mufflers for the louder stick shift GT mufflers. The car is a little louder now. My guess is many would still think it is too quiet.

Ooops, thanks FlChris (am I dislexic, nah <lol>)... and thanks EC -- audio would be great to hear..

hey Larry

getting excited yet? Shelby's only a few weeks off. I'll give you a call in the next couple of days for a quick beer run, this weekend?

take care

John

Sounds great John. The excitement is building, I thought about calling about my car by Friday just to see if they built it. I guess the build week is always listed as a monday which mine was yesterday so sometime this week it should be coming down the line. Hopefully the wait will be a little better to manage. Hope that you will hear soon about yours. Take care for now, I can hear those beer mugs chilling.

Sounds great John. The excitement is building, I thought about calling about my car by Friday just to see if they built it. I guess the build week is always listed as a monday which mine was yesterday so sometime this week it should be coming down the line. Hopefully the wait will be a little better to manage. Hope that you will hear soon about yours. Take care for now, I can hear those beer mugs chilling.

John, I just noticed your new avatar. Sizzling I would say. I doubt if those beers could douse those flames.

Larry

thanks for the post; I'm torn on the sound issue; 90% of the time a driver really wants just a mellow quiet sound, but the other 10% you want the exhaust to sound ball busting. Life is just a bunch of tradeoffs and compromises................ :hysterical:

thanks for the post; I'm torn on the sound issue; 90% of the time a driver really wants just a mellow quiet sound, but the other 10% you want the exhaust to sound ball busting. Life is just a bunch of tradeoffs and compromises................ :hysterical:

Yeah, the '01 NA 4.6 Cobra was great in that regard -- nice mellow rumble at cruise, but real yeowl at WOT -- almost attracted too much attention, but I liked it ;)

And thanks, Chris -- I can see playing with that for a week on the backroads ;-)

Archived