TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby in the Garage

pnikodemos

Finally, my long wait is over.....Drove the car home to Boston from Cape Cod (100 miles)...

Worried about the color combo after seeing everyone elses cars.....My conclusion is what eveyone else seems to think...you just can't go wrong with any color !!!!!Everything looked great and in fine working order.

In Massachusetts we need a front plate to get an inspection sticker so dealer attached the front plate to the grille with plastic ties and then lent me an exacto knife to cut them off after I got it inspected...An old lady tried to pick me up in Dunkin Doughnuts when she saw me pull in.....The large ice coffee fit in the cup holder just fine...however shifting with it there was a problem......Keeping up with an old family tradition the first cd was AC/DC Back in Black...sounded great with the shaker 500,the bass speakers are located right against my left knee and thus vibrated my leg for the whole ride(kinda sexual in a good way) but couldn't help thinking what if I had gotten the 1000 (deleted it from my order way back when the rumours were rampant that ordering one would delay build date of car)..The shifting is short and easy but starting in first gear is a damn pain ...just can't seem to get it right without over reving....and yes I did stall out once,but luckily it was only with the old lady in the car....LOL..The interior upgrade didn't seem much,just some red stiches along the shifter boot and the steering wheel....The black leather case holding the owners manual with the shelby cobra on it looked nice..Within the first 20 minutes of the drive I got my first invitation...car on my ass with 2 teenagers,headlights flashing(looked like an Impala) but being a newbie and a single lane road,I let it go as they sped by me (I think they called me a wimp).....Around this time I kept looking at my boost gauge but in never moved...I think I was waiting for the gauge to moved as my revs went up (first time with a supercharger)....but it never moved...Well after getting gas for the second time...I was a little over a half of tank (I THINK I had gone about 60-70 miles) . I was getting back on a long highway ramp when I thought that if I pressed the accelerator to the floor quickly maybe that would move the needle in my PSI gauge..since I was a little nervous not having seen it move yet and maybe It was not working....I was in second gear at the time going about 25-35 mph...well this memory is kinda blurry (think I suffered a concussion when my head hit the top of the seat) the tires didn't chirp they screamed but the car stayed straight and this is the part I am hazy about.. I think the traction control took over and shut down the revs,something slowed me down to stop the tires from screaming...I don't think it was me letting off the gas pedal,cause I think I kinda froze for 3 secs....Anyway thanks to Ruf's advice in one of my previous posts, I was wearing Depends and saved staining the drivers seat.....Well about 20 miles from home ,on a major highway(Route 93) doing about 65 mph my second invitation came....a black GTO pulled up on my left...slowed down to match my speed and started to rev the engine.....well knowing my supercharger works and feeling a bit more comfortable with the car,the conditions seemed right (little traffic) and not wanting to go 0 for 2 tonight ,I figured I go for it.....My only thought was since I was cruising in 5th gear ...do I drop it down to 4th and go (not knowing if I was going to fast for 4th...again not used to the cars capabilities..and afraid of looking stupid ...so I just punched it while in 5th gear....I must have gone from 65 to 95 in about 3 secs with the GTO a good 3 car lengths behind..then I went into 6th gear ..looked at speedo,needle was just past the 110 mark...looked in the mirror and the GTO had to be more than 10 lengths behind...I was tempted to continue but didn't know if I was abusing the new car so I shut down, feeling that the car had made its statement.....and I was 1for 2 for the night....Started cruising again when the GTO pulled up again (looked like 3 passengers),the window went down and I swear it was the thumbs up sign I got and not the middle finger.....Well I made it home soon after,put the car to bed in its new home...It was then I knew I had made the right decision....paying 8k over sticker price was worth it by far (plus an extra $1650 for the upgrade from a just powertrain warranty in years 4 and 5 to the premium warranty for years 4 and 5(which is what the car comes with in years 1-3) ...The car is a keeper..No question....I didn't mention all the comments (nice ride was the most heard) and praise at the dealers,inspection station,gas stations and of course Dunkin Doughnuts that the car received for it just would repetitious...Or how I kept myself occupied changing the color to the instument gauges...I swear I had a choice of about 5 colors ..(I liked the purple)....

A few closing facts....car built on August 4th....ETA changed 3 times...last one was delivery on the 8th of September....customer service only info other than ETA was released from plant..Thats it....no shipping info,nothing else....Car just showed up at dealers door late thursday the 31st.

So to all who are waiting, It is certainly worth it and your car will sometimes just show up regardless of your efforts for more info.

paul

You brought a CUP OF COFFEE into the car?????????????????????????

Are you nutz?????

LOL

JBJ :doh:

Was thinking the same thing. My 99 GT has a no food rule. I allow drinks though. My 07 GT500 will have a no food and drinks rule. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I even put a car seat in my 99 GT for my 3 year old.

Congrats on your new ride Paul and great write up of your adventures home. I would love to see pictures.

Congratulations and ENJOY! Are you still grinning ear-to-ear?

BTW, When you are ready, 2nd gear tops-out at just over 80 mph. REALLY, downshift and put the fear of FORD in them.

Paul,what color did you get??????

My son lives in Brookline------where abouts are you???

We are still in material hold hell.

Would Love to see it when we come down there!!!!!

Enjoyed your trip report...however, isn't 6th gear an "overdrive" gear? If you really wanted to pull away from that GTO you should have just left it in 5th.

Enjoy your baby!

Enjoyed your trip report...however, isn't 6th gear an "overdrive" gear? If you really wanted to pull away from that GTO you should have just left it in 5th.

Enjoy your baby!

What color, what part of mass?

I live on the south shore and have not seen one on the road yet...probably because dealers are still selling to fools and collectors paying 60-70k!!!!!

Is this your first cobra? you dont sound like you know a great deal about these cars

Finally, my long wait is over.....Drove the car home to Boston from Cape Cod (100 miles)...

Worried about the color combo after seeing everyone elses cars.....My conclusion is what eveyone else seems to think...you just can't go wrong with any color !!!!!Everything looked great and in fine working order.

In Massachusetts we need a front plate to get an inspection sticker so dealer attached the front plate to the grille with plastic ties and then lent me an exacto knife to cut them off after I got it inspected...An old lady tried to pick me up in Dunkin Doughnuts when she saw me pull in.....The large ice coffee fit in the cup holder just fine...however shifting with it there was a problem......Keeping up with an old family tradition the first cd was AC/DC Back in Black...sounded great with the shaker 500,the bass speakers are located right against my left knee and thus vibrated my leg for the whole ride(kinda sexual in a good way) but couldn't help thinking what if I had gotten the 1000 (deleted it from my order way back when the rumours were rampant that ordering one would delay build date of car)..The shifting is short and easy but starting in first gear is a damn pain ...just can't seem to get it right without over reving....and yes I did stall out once,but luckily it was only with the old lady in the car....LOL..The interior upgrade didn't seem much,just some red stiches along the shifter boot and the steering wheel....The black leather case holding the owners manual with the shelby cobra on it looked nice..Within the first 20 minutes of the drive I got my first invitation...car on my ass with 2 teenagers,headlights flashing(looked like an Impala) but being a newbie and a single lane road,I let it go as they sped by me (I think they called me a wimp).....Around this time I kept looking at my boost gauge but in never moved...I think I was waiting for the gauge to moved as my revs went up (first time with a supercharger)....but it never moved...Well after getting gas for the second time...I was a little over a half of tank (I THINK I had gone about 60-70 miles) . I was getting back on a long highway ramp when I thought that if I pressed the accelerator to the floor quickly maybe that would move the needle in my PSI gauge..since I was a little nervous not having seen it move yet and maybe It was not working....I was in second gear at the time going about 25-35 mph...well this memory is kinda blurry (think I suffered a concussion when my head hit the top of the seat) the tires didn't chirp they screamed but the car stayed straight and this is the part I am hazy about.. I think the traction control took over and shut down the revs,something slowed me down to stop the tires from screaming...I don't think it was me letting off the gas pedal,cause I think I kinda froze for 3 secs....Anyway thanks to Ruf's advice in one of my previous posts, I was wearing Depends and saved staining the drivers seat.....Well about 20 miles from home ,on a major highway(Route 93) doing about 65 mph my second invitation came....a black GTO pulled up on my left...slowed down to match my speed and started to rev the engine.....well knowing my supercharger works and feeling a bit more comfortable with the car,the conditions seemed right (little traffic) and not wanting to go 0 for 2 tonight ,I figured I go for it.....My only thought was since I was cruising in 5th gear ...do I drop it down to 4th and go (not knowing if I was going to fast for 4th...again not used to the cars capabilities..and afraid of looking stupid ...so I just punched it while in 5th gear....I must have gone from 65 to 95 in about 3 secs with the GTO a good 3 car lengths behind..then I went into 6th gear ..looked at speedo,needle was just past the 110 mark...looked in the mirror and the GTO had to be more than 10 lengths behind...I was tempted to continue but didn't know if I was abusing the new car so I shut down, feeling that the car had made its statement.....and I was 1for 2 for the night....Started cruising again when the GTO pulled up again (looked like 3 passengers),the window went down and I swear it was the thumbs up sign I got and not the middle finger.....Well I made it home soon after,put the car to bed in its new home...It was then I knew I had made the right decision....paying 8k over sticker price was worth it by far (plus an extra $1650 for the upgrade from a just powertrain warranty in years 4 and 5 to the premium warranty for years 4 and 5(which is what the car comes with in years 1-3) ...The car is a keeper..No question....I didn't mention all the comments (nice ride was the most heard) and praise at the dealers,inspection station,gas stations and of course Dunkin Doughnuts that the car received for it just would repetitious...Or how I kept myself occupied changing the color to the instument gauges...I swear I had a choice of about 5 colors ..(I liked the purple)....

A few closing facts....car built on August 4th....ETA changed 3 times...last one was delivery on the 8th of September....customer service only info other than ETA was released from plant..Thats it....no shipping info,nothing else....Car just showed up at dealers door late thursday the 31st.

So to all who are waiting, It is certainly worth it and your car will sometimes just show up regardless of your efforts for more info.

paul

Nice Ride. I have a Red/White stripes from N. Conway. Cousin lives in Sagamore Beach. What color did you say your shelby was?

Paul,what color did you get??????

My son lives in Brookline------where abouts are you???

We are still in material hold hell.

Would Love to see it when we come down there!!!!!

Hi,

white with blue stripes.....

I"m in Wilmington , about 20 miles away...

Let me know when your coming.....

thanks

paul

You brought a CUP OF COFFEE into the car?????????????????????????

Are you nutz?????

LOL

JBJ :doh:

In case you all have not discovered it yet, the rear cup holder has an insert in it that is removable. Gives the hole much more depth to get a 20 oz plastic drink bottle out of your way to shift. I always buy 20 ouncers with a cap. You never know when you might need to contain liquids....

My wife found it. I have been too busy driving and hanging on to look at small details like that. Makes a big difference...!

Glad you like the car... Congratulations!

Nice Ride. I have a Red/White stripes from N. Conway. Cousin lives in Sagamore Beach. What color did you say your shelby was?

Hi,

white w/blue stripes

some friends called me...told me that they had seen a red/white shelby in Falmouth, Cape Cod..Were you on the Cape this Labor Day

Paul

Guest evilchris

Enjoy your baby!

5th is overdrive too. 4th is 1:1.

Archived