TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel Hop

Guys -

I've been reading a lot of concerns about wheel hop and potential fixes....LCA, alternative springs.

As Ford has finally admitted to the tranny issue for 2007 are they also going to put out a TSB for wheel hop?

Why should we have to pay more (didn't most of us pay MSRP or more) to fix a factory defect?

Are we screaming loud enough to have Ford address this issue? Does the z06, viper, new charger have wheel hop from the factory....no.....so why should we?

I'm frustrated with paying more for something that is an expectation to work right when buying a new car with the shelby name.

Anyone taken your car to the dealer and got this fixed under warranty?

Thanks

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure wheel hop would be a warranty issue. It only happens if you're spinning your rear wheels, and that's not exactly what the car was specifically made to do. Does it run, drive, brake? Yes, yes, yes.

I understand that they can burn out, but they can also fall if you drive them over cliffs, and they certainly aren't going to repair your car if it broke being driven over a cliff, even if it's clearly within the ability of the car to do so.

Back to the wheel hop, what would you recommend they do?

Rubber, Polyurethane, or Delrin joints, or Heim links?

Adjustable? Not?

Stamped? Billet? Forged?

Lower springs? Which spring rate?

How much NVH should they tolerate?

Personally, I'm kind of relieved they put in a sturdy stuff that's cheap enough I don't mind just putting in a box after I replace it. The stuff isn't really that expensive. Meantime, just turn off the TCS - that helps a lot...

I would have to disagree with mciarochi. A car that comes stock with 500 horses should be specifically designed to spin the rear wheels without bouncing all over the place. It is the one complaint I have about the car, but it is a pain. I doubt warranty covers it but it can't hurt to try! Let us know if it works out....

I know it is not the answer you are looking for, but it seems a constant theme that if you lower the car, it seems to eliminate the Hopity-hop, by changing the angle of the LCA's....

I have found this to be true as have others....some have reported more wheel spin, I personally have not seen this to be an issue any worse than before....

My hop is all but gone, and the wheel spin is actually controlable, and it is a blast to steer with my right foot for a change!

In some ways if you ask me, you are fixing two issues with one product. I really do not like the "Air Shock" rake of the stock suspension....

To each his/her own on that though.... :superhero:

I agree, the engineers at Ford should have come up with a fix for the wheel hop before the car was ever released for production. I have talked to the folks at SVT several times and according to them they are fully aware of the problem and plan to do nothing about it. The truth of the matter is the GT500KR minus the hood and wheels is what our cars should have been in the first place. At a minimum the 08' cars should have had all the upgrades done on it. It all comes down to marketing and revenue generation. Ok, ok I'll stop whining, I love may car, it just makes me mad to think how much better our cars could have been with practically no effort on the part of Ford.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a straight forward fix that any can agree on. The LCA's stock have soft bushings allowing some wind up and some say they flex as well. The aftermarket LCA's are stiffer and use urethane bushings reducing unwanted movement. Many have had luck with just dropping the car an inch with some FRPP springs. Some will tell you the UCA is the issue, so you can shotgun it like I did or you can try and make the choices that are most logical to you. To me the 500's get alot of benefit from lowering that would be my first stop, but thats just me.

I agree, the engineers at Ford should have come up with a fix for the wheel hop before the car was ever released for production. I have talked to the folks at SVT several times and according to them they are fully aware of the problem and plan to do nothing about it. The truth of the matter is the GT500KR minus the hood and wheels is what our cars should have been in the first place. At a minimum the 08' cars should have had all the upgrades done on it. It all comes down to marketing and revenue generation. Ok, ok I'll stop whining, I love may car, it just makes me mad to think how much better our cars could have been with practically no effort on the part of Ford.

what was the remedy for the wheel hop on KR suspension...if ever remedied?

Talk to one of our vendors...Jared at Leathal Performance. Tell him Grabber sent you. He will treat you right.

Thanks for the support Rob! We really appreciate it.

Just talked to Jared at Leathal and my new Grabberized BMR LCA's are in the mail.

Thanks Rob

Yep, Me Too !!

Thanks guys! Your lowers are all packed up and ready to be picked up by Fed Ex. Got your Lethal Shirts, decals and calendars in there as well. Woot!!

Jared

Talk to one of our vendors...Jared at Leathal Performance. Tell him Grabber sent you. He will treat you right.

It's funny, I just got on it this morning and got p*ssed off when she started jumping up and down like a crazed rabbit on crack and low and behold here's a thread on it! Must be a sign! Just got off the phone with Jared and my "Grabberized" LCA's are on their way!

Thanks Rob!

Thanks for the support Rob! We really appreciate it.

Thanks guys! Your lowers are all packed up and ready to be picked up by Fed Ex. Got your Lethal Shirts, decals and calendars in there as well. Woot!!

Jared

Jared,

What part number do I need to order from your website?

Thanks

overtime

You guys will like the results.

One pointer during the install is to hook a rachet strap on the side of the axel that you are working on. Hook the other end to the big air deflector bracket under the center of the car. Give it a few cranks to make it taught. Then unbolt the factory LCA. This will keep the rear axel from moving to much on you and allow you to bolt the new LCA back up easier. If you don't do this, you will have a problem.

After you do this on one side, move it to the other side.

Also make sure you look at the LCA. There is a front and a back. Compare it to the factory one, and you will see.

If you need any phone help during the install. PM me and I will shoot you my cell number.

Rob

Jared,

What part number do I need to order from your website?

Thanks

overtime

Here's the Grabberized version..

Sorry about the pic on the site. It's not the actual photo of the TCA019. I'm updating the image now but they look exactly like the image I linked below compliments of Grabber (thanks Rob). Don't forget to mention what color and size Lethal shirt you want as I'm throwing them in for TeamShelby members only.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-pro...ly-bushing.html

WheelHoppgone-BMRLCA020.jpg

Thanks for the support. Jared

Here's the Grabberized version..

Sorry about the pic on the site. It's not the actual photo of the TCA019. I'm updating the image now but they look exactly like the image I linked below compliments of Grabber (thanks Rob). Don't forget to mention what color and size Lethal shirt you want as I'm throwing them in for TeamShelby members only.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-pro...ly-bushing.html

WheelHoppgone-BMRLCA020.jpg

Thanks for the support. Jared

Jared set me up with the right stuff for my '08 'vert, and I have NO issues, many hard launches, burnouts...great guy to work with.

MAN, I love this car... But I didn't get no stinkin' t-shirt :slapfight:

One little Mod I did to my BMR LCA's to hold the brake cable in a cleaner looking fashion is shown below. IMO it looks better than leaving it hang or using the zip tie that is supplied.

I went down to Ace hardware and bought some stainless steel self tapping screws and some cable retainers.

The Parts

BMRbrakeclips.jpg

Before the cable retainers were installed

BMRbrakeclips004.jpg

BMRbrakeclips007.jpg

After the cable retainers are installed

BMRbrakeclips009.jpg

BMRbrakeclips015.jpg

BMRbrakeclips016.jpg

Grabber...In the link jared referred to the LCA looks all red...was yours black to start with or you powder coated it?

In the link from our site the image is wrong. It's of the older tubular design and it's also pictured as red. All of BMR's parts now come standard in a Black Hammertone which is seen in the pictures that Grabber posted.

Thanks, Jared

Archived