TEAM SHELBY FORUM

40th Rear End Noise

I am getting the noise as well. It is real bad. The car is at a shop and they are trying to diagnose the problem. From what I have been told:

Check the left rear muffler.

Check the colling ducts.

If not one of those the car may need to be raised a little in the rear.

I post what fixes mine once they get to it.

It almost sounds and feels like the rear end is bottoming out. It may just be a little to low.

If the car is bottoming out there should be scratches underneath it. Crawl under and look on the lowest points. The Tech called me today and he thinks the exhaust needs to be adjusted. I will know more tomorrow.

If the car is bottoming out there should be scratches underneath it. Crawl under and look on the lowest points. The Tech called me today and he thinks the exhaust needs to be adjusted. I will know more tomorrow.

Hey Guys,

My car didn't make any noise until about 1300 miles (It was 1100 miles home). It started whenever I would hit a fairly hard bump, but then progressed to about any bump there was. I took the car to the Ford dealer for an oil change after running road course & we checked everything while it was on the lift; or so we thought! I was driving in town on Wednesday when the right side exhaust fell out of the clamp just past the X pipe. I had it replaced and all fittings tightened and now the noise has stopped completely. We'll see if it changes while driving to Tulsa next week. Just a heads up to check all the clamps

Jon

Hey Guys,

My car didn't make any noise until about 1300 miles (It was 1100 miles home). It started whenever I would hit a fairly hard bump, but then progressed to about any bump there was. I took the car to the Ford dealer for an oil change after running road course & we checked everything while it was on the lift; or so we thought! I was driving in town on Wednesday when the right side exhaust fell out of the clamp just past the X pipe. I had it replaced and all fittings tightened and now the noise has stopped completely. We'll see if it changes while driving to Tulsa next week. Just a heads up to check all the clamps

Jon

Brilliant, they didn't tighten the exhaust :hysterical: Thanks, I'll go check mine now

Brilliant, they didn't tighten the exhaust :hysterical: Thanks, I'll go check mine now

The dealer that has my car and is working on the several issues that my 40th arrived with said that the exhaust hangers an d clamps needed to be adjusted and the noise is now gone. Everyone check the exhaust.

The dealer that has my car and is working on the several issues that my 40th arrived with said that the exhaust hangers an d clamps needed to be adjusted and the noise is now gone. Everyone check the exhaust.

I had the same problem with it bottoming out on the right side....The two sides in the rear were completely different.....I had that fixed today and no more issues....The one problem is, Shelby did not include the spanner wrench with the take off parts to adjust the suspension....I did call them and Doug was able to find one laying around the shop and is sending it out to me today....AMP performance in PHX was able to use a center punch to tighten and adjust the suspension.....

JW

• 1 month later...
I haven't heard the "bottom out" sound but I did notice that at a slow speed I hear a wheel squeaking, almost like a old wagon wheel. Its not a real high pitch but just a consistent squeak. any ideas?

I have the same problem. Combination of rear brake ducts and the urethane bushings--drives me nuts. I get it quiet for a couple of weeks and it starts all over again.

The one problem is, Shelby did not include the spanner wrench with the take off parts to adjust the suspension....

They should have sent us the Wrenches that Eibach puts in with their shocks! They must have thrown them all out. BTW, the front and rear wrenches are different sizes.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem. Combination of rear brake ducts and the urethane bushings--drives me nuts. I get it quiet for a couple of weeks and it starts all over again.

The one problem is, Shelby did not include the spanner wrench with the take off parts to adjust the suspension....

They should have sent us the Wrenches that Eibach puts in with their shocks! They must have thrown them all out. BTW, the front and rear wrenches are different sizes.

Have you had it looked at? What do you do to keep it quiet?

mine is almost like a squeaking sound too.

I'm getting noise from the rear when going over bumps. It kind of sounds like the car is bottoming out. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

It's the Eibach "bump-stops". You can see them if you look through the rear wheels. They are yellow on my 40th.

I put a small amount of vaseline on the frame above the stop then went for a ride. In San Jose there's no problem finding a street that would provide a good test.

After rolling over some "test areas" of the street I went back and checked out the stop. It had vaseline on it. This stop is designed to control how much the springs compress. My next step is find out how to adjust the suspension to give it a little more travel so it doesn't hit the stops so often.

Here you can see where the bump-stop has been hitting the car. I didn't see this view until I stuck my camera through the wheel to take the picture.

th_100_0942.jpg

The bump-stop looking through the wheel. If you look close after clicking on the thumbnail you can see some vaseline from my test.

th_100_0943.jpg

Archived