TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New CSX

cobra25

I have read a lot of posts here and CC. A lot of the info on the CSX400 is kind of old. So, I have some questions to just update the current info on this Cobra.

If I place an order for a new CSX 4000 fiberglass Cobra today, how long is the build wait?

Where is the body made?

Where is the rest of the car made?

Is it still assembled in Las Vegas?

If I order a Sheby 427, what is that wait like?

Where are the motors assembled?

Thankyou

I have read a lot of posts here and CC. A lot of the info on the CSX400 is kind of old. So, I have some questions to just update the current info on this Cobra.

If I place an order for a new CSX 4000 fiberglass Cobra today, how long is the build wait?

Where is the body made?

Thankyou

Cobra25

The fastest and most accurate answers would be easiest if you gave Shelby Autos in Vegas a phone call.

They can give you a pretty good time table on things and may also be able to put some info in the mail to you.

Shelby Autos can be reached at: 702-942-7325

Steve

Cobra25

The fastest and most accurate answers would be easiest if you gave Shelby Autos in Vegas a phone call.

They can give you a pretty good time table on things and may also be able to put some info in the mail to you.

Shelby Autos can be reached at: 702-942-7325

Steve

SAI only does the roller part, you should contact one of their Cobra dealers and ask them your questions. They would be the ones responsible for the complete build, including engine options. Link to CSX Cobra dealers http://www.shelbyautos.com/dealers.asp

When I started looking Shelby in Vegas had told me 4-6 months ( 3 months ago) I started calling dealers both in my area and outside of my state and found a total of 25 ready to go rollers ( w/o engine or trans) within 2-3 states from me ( west coast) Now there seems to be even more available if you can find one with the color combo you want you can save some money and time getting a ready to go roller. I hope that helps.

SAI only does the roller part, you should contact one of their Cobra dealers and ask them your questions. They would be the ones responsible for the complete build, including engine options. Link to CSX Cobra dealers http://www.shelbyautos.com/dealers.asp

I took your advise and called Vegas.

I talked to Tony, a really nice guy, you could hear the grinders in the backgroud.

Presently the cars come from Mexico or South Africa (fiberglass) all assembled, then sent to Vegas for inspection then sent to dealer.

The wait is 3-4 months.

Ok, as of 6/12, my car CSX 4990 goes on the boat from South Africa on 6/20. It will be at sea for about 30 days.

Thats the latest news

That was quick! Decision to on the boat in a week or so? What engine/trans are you going to put in it?

If you're lucky it will be outfitted nearby and WE will get to see pictures.

(A Cobra has always been my "win the lottery" car, but for now I will live vicariously through the experience of others.)

I have been told, the numbers turn to 5 diget ones, like 40001.

Actually it was announced today that they have run out of 4000 VINs and they will jump to CSX6010. All new 427 cars will be 6000 numbers, except the aluminum bodies will continue in the 4000's. They will never run out of the remaining 4000 numbers at the rate they build aluminum cars.

Actually it was announced today that they have run out of 4000 VINs and they will jump to CSX6010. All new 427 cars will be 6000 numbers, except the aluminum bodies will continue in the 4000's. They will never run out of the remaining 4000 numbers at the rate they build aluminum cars.

I must admit, I am kind of happy I got a car before the end of the 4000 numbers.

Does CS sign all the 4000 cars when they go through Vegas? If not how can I get that done?

No he does not. You may be able to get it done while it is there, but he doesn't go in that much any more. If you can't get it done there, you either need to get to an event where he is signing and get your car signed, or remove the part you want signed and send it to him. If you send it in you must also send a donation to the Children's Fund, that donation used to be $250 but I'm not sure if it has stayed the same or gone up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where is the body made?

Thankyou

Is it not possible to order a complete car through Super Performance in South Africa directly ??

I know they are licensed through Shelby to build the bodies but I'm not certain if you can buy a complete car.

They may be able to provide a complete vehicle with a reduced lead time.

Is it not possible to order a complete car through Super Performance in South Africa directly ??

I know they are licensed through Shelby to build the bodies but I'm not certain if you can buy a complete car.

They may be able to provide a complete vehicle with a reduced lead time.

No, supplying a complete car would be considered buildng a 2009 model, requiring 2009 emissions certification, 2009 crash test requirements, etc. The only way to do it is to supply the component car that you (or your designee) finishes out.

The cars are made in South Africa. It takes right around 2 months to get to Las Vegas.

Usually spends about 2 weeks in LV.

Then it goes to your Dealer of choice for your motor and trans of choice. Time depends on your dealer.

You can not order a complete car from SAI or South Africa because then they become car manufacturers and the car must comply to all of the EPA requirements , ie bumpers, air bags, smog, etc.

When you split it up like they do, the car becomes a "specialty vehicle" aka kit car which = no EPA.

I did get a Shelby motor for my car so that it would be as Shelby as possible.

I want to Thank Mr. Shelby and Amy for making this a possiblity!!

Hopefully this catches a newbe up on time frames, etc. on a new CSX Fiberglass 427.

• 3 months later...
Here are some pics of CSX 4990.

It is Guardsman Blue. It has an aluminum Shelby 427 sideoiler and a TKO-600 5sp.

2comtci.jpg

2r2oft1.jpg

bgahsk.jpg

24c88jk.jpg

2ykj040.jpg

Very nice! I am getting excited but the process is only a few weeks old so I have a way to go. Let's see some pics of the engine and interior, please.

Archived