TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Delivered Blue Coupe to SAI in Vegas

I made a big decision 2 weeks ago - I switched my 2007 blue coupe from an SS to the 40th Anniversary package, with 725HP options. There are mainly 3 big differences: the hood, stripes, and wheels. While I wanted the SS hood, I had to be honest with myself and admit that I just didn't like the flat black stripes on the Vista Blue, based on the pictures I had seen. It's the only colour that doesn't work for me, but can appreciate that others will disagree. Plus, with the option for silver wheels, to match the silver 40th stripes, that made up my mind. Bye bye SS hood.

The best news of all was that once I contacted Cynthia about the change, I was able to schedule my car right away :yahoo: , as the 40th's were right up to date. Phone Friday, leave Monday :shift: , and deliver it first thing Wednesday. Nice! :happy feet:

The trip is 1,300 miles, so I figured on 20 hours of driving, with your nice 75 MPH speed limit on I-15. Traffic was really light, except for Salt Lake City - bigger than I remembered, plus a fair bit of construction. Most of the drive was on cruise control, set at 84 MPH to keep the LEO's at bay. I was never stopped, and my Passport 8500 managed to pick up radar at about 4 miles out one time. Pretty impressive. However, another time, it was only about a quarter mile, instant-on radar would have nailed me if I was, what's the word now? Oh yeah, speeding! I got lucky...

I made my first stop for gas in, where else, but Shelby, Montana. The car looked lonely, maybe everyone was afraid:

th_DSCN0025.jpg

According to the car's computer, I got 20.2 miles per gallon, but the pumps indicated about half a gallon more than the car said. That's off by about 4%, so I was in the mid-19's I guess. Here's the trip stats after pulling in at SAI:

th_DSCN0057.jpg

I also picked up a few thousand hitch-hikers on the trip, mostly in Montana:

th_DSCN0059.jpg

Really, that bumper was spotless when I left. I bought the car in Vegas last October, and drove it back to Calgary. It pays to pick the time of year, because there were no where near as many bugs then. Go figure...

I arrived around dinner time on Tuesday, and SAI was already closed, but I took a few pictures. There were no cars around, but I found the Shelby trailer:

th_DSCN0062.jpg

Wednesday morning, I took it to Gaudin Ford where I bought it. The car had just about 3,000 miles on it, and when I took it to service for an oil change, and gave them my address, they seemed kind of puzzled. I told them that I thought it had to be brought back to the original dealer for oil changes. :rolleyes: I had them going for a bit, until I told them what was going on with SAI. It was pretty funny to see their faces :D

So finally, I get to SAI, and just like others have said, the check-in experience was great. I was treated like I was the only customer. Bryan checked in my car:

th_DSCN0082.jpg

He brought me back to the mod shop, and then over to the finished cars in another building. I have to say, I didn't want to leave. I was like one of the bugs on my bumper - stuck! During the tour, once in a while a car would be started, and I'd zip off in that direction. Then another. Maybe I am a bug - a moth to a flame... The KB's sounded great! My coupe is getting the 725HP polished package, with all the other SS options available. I just could not believe these cars after seeing and hearing them in person. To say I'm now distracted is an understatement.

After wrapping up with Bryan, I went over to the Shelby Cafe for lunch. Amy was outside, sitting in her Grabber Orange SS-striped golf cart, with some other SAI-er's. Turns out it was gary patterson (VP Operations) and Jim Owens (VP Marketing). I introduced myself, figuring I'd get a polite "How are you? Glad you're a customer. Gotta go." But we all had a very nice conversation that lasted almost half an hour. Amy and I actually had some things in common, with cars and colours and spouses. When we finished up, she told me to see her when I finished lunch. Jim showed me to her office, and she called Cynthia and Adrienne in to her office, and asked them to give me a personalized tour. So both of them did. Others get this same treatment, and I expect this is Amy's style, which all the staff love to follow. It feels great. So I got my second personalized tour of the day. And I have to say, that if you get the impression that Adrienne loves her job, it comes across loud and clear in person. I've now named her Bubbles - it's a great fit. here's the 3 of us tooling around in the cart - and if it looks like I'm sitting funny, well, it might just be the arm rest resting in a place it was never intended for: :o

th_DSCN0106.jpg

Here's some pictures from the SAI lot and Cafe:

a Vista Blue KR, with my car as little brother in the background:

th_DSCN0065.jpg

Amy's SGT with glass roof, and her SS:

th_DSCN0091.jpg

The KR and Amy's SS; menu items, I presume:

th_DSCN0098.jpg

th_DSCN0098.jpg

One more post to follow, with pics especially for Michael Morris. I had a great time, and was really impressed with the personal attention. I hope everyone gets to do this... :superhero:

Vogon,

Sounds like a fabulous trip and you still get the ride home. I've seen several Vista 40th with the Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS) and they are striking. You are going to be a very happy camper. Bud recommends some driving restrictions the first day, so check with him before you leave. You are going to be blown away when you kick the KB into boost, ah all 17.5 lbs of it. Congratulations.

Don

Vogon,

Sounds like a fabulous trip and you still get the ride home. I've seen several Vista 40th with the Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS) and they are striking. You are going to be a very happy camper. Bud recommends some driving restrictions the first day, so check with him before you leave. You are going to be blown away when you kick the KB into boost, ah all 17.5 lbs of it. Congratulations.

Don

Thanks, Don. The pictures I've seen are great, and after seeing both the black-striped SS's and the 40th's, I know I made the right decision for myself. I've been mulling over the best plan for getting it back, and here's the latest version. I'm going to rent an enclosed trailer, and tow it back with my F-150. That way, I can bring back the parts at the same time, without worrying about the shipping hassles, and it will also be simpler with getting everything back across the border. I can break in the parts (break in, not break :P ) properly, with the recommended cool downs, and avoid the temptation of driving again too soon. I'm weak, so I need to control the urges that these cars develop in me.

But you know, it's possible that the car might just escape the trailer once in a while for 25 mile stretches, like on the twisties just north of Vegas as you go through the hills on I-15. That stretch of road is a LOT of fun, even at moderate speeds. The back on the trailer for its cool-down while I make more progress getting home. The big question is, how do I keep my friend interested in just driving the truck? :headscratch:

I made a big decision 2 weeks ago - I switched my 2007 blue coupe from an SS to the 40th Anniversary package, with 725HP options. There are mainly 3 big differences: the hood, stripes, and wheels. While I wanted the SS hood, I had to be honest with myself and admit that I just didn't like the flat black stripes on the Vista Blue, based on the pictures I had seen. It's the only colour that doesn't work for me, but can appreciate that others will disagree. Plus, with the option for silver wheels, to match the silver 40th stripes, that made up my mind. Bye bye SS hood.

The best news of all was that once I contacted Cynthia about the change, I was able to schedule my car right away :yahoo: , as the 40th's were right up to date. Phone Friday, leave Monday :shift: , and deliver it first thing Wednesday. Nice! :happy feet:

The trip is 1,300 miles, so I figured on 20 hours of driving, with your nice 75 MPH speed limit on I-15. Traffic was really light, except for Salt Lake City - bigger than I remembered, plus a fair bit of construction. Most of the drive was on cruise control, set at 84 MPH to keep the LEO's at bay. I was never stopped, and my Passport 8500 managed to pick up radar at about 4 miles out one time. Pretty impressive. However, another time, it was only about a quarter mile, instant-on radar would have nailed me if I was, what's the word now? Oh yeah, speeding! I got lucky...

I made my first stop for gas in, where else, but Shelby, Montana. The car looked lonely, maybe everyone was afraid:

th_DSCN0025.jpg

According to the car's computer, I got 20.2 miles per gallon, but the pumps indicated about half a gallon more than the car said. That's off by about 4%, so I was in the mid-19's I guess. Here's the trip stats after pulling in at SAI:

th_DSCN0057.jpg

I also picked up a few thousand hitch-hikers on the trip, mostly in Montana:

th_DSCN0059.jpg

Really, that bumper was spotless when I left. I bought the car in Vegas last October, and drove it back to Calgary. It pays to pick the time of year, because there were no where near as many bugs then. Go figure...

I arrived around dinner time on Tuesday, and SAI was already closed, but I took a few pictures. There were no cars around, but I found the Shelby trailer:

th_DSCN0062.jpg

Wednesday morning, I took it to Gaudin Ford where I bought it. The car had just about 3,000 miles on it, and when I took it to service for an oil change, and gave them my address, they seemed kind of puzzled. I told them that I thought it had to be brought back to the original dealer for oil changes. :rolleyes: I had them going for a bit, until I told them what was going on with SAI. It was pretty funny to see their faces :D

So finally, I get to SAI, and just like others have said, the check-in experience was great. I was treated like I was the only customer. Bryan checked in my car:

th_DSCN0082.jpg

He brought me back to the mod shop, and then over to the finished cars in another building. I have to say, I didn't want to leave. I was like one of the bugs on my bumper - stuck! During the tour, once in a while a car would be started, and I'd zip off in that direction. Then another. Maybe I am a bug - a moth to a flame... The KB's sounded great! My coupe is getting the 725HP polished package, with all the other SS options available. I just could not believe these cars after seeing and hearing them in person. To say I'm now distracted is an understatement.

After wrapping up with Bryan, I went over to the Shelby Cafe for lunch. Amy was outside, sitting in her Grabber Orange SS-striped golf cart, with some other SAI-er's. Turns out it was gary patterson (VP Operations) and Jim Owens (VP Marketing). I introduced myself, figuring I'd get a polite "How are you? Glad you're a customer. Gotta go." But we all had a very nice conversation that lasted almost half an hour. Amy and I actually had some things in common, with cars and colours and spouses. When we finished up, she told me to see her when I finished lunch. Jim showed me to her office, and she called Cynthia and Adrienne in to her office, and asked them to give me a personalized tour. So both of them did. Others get this same treatment, and I expect this is Amy's style, which all the staff love to follow. It feels great. So I got my second personalized tour of the day. And I have to say, that if you get the impression that Adrienne loves her job, it comes across loud and clear in person. I've now named her Bubbles - it's a great fit. here's the 3 of us tooling around in the cart - and if it looks like I'm sitting funny, well, it might just be the arm rest resting in a place it was never intended for: :o

th_DSCN0106.jpg

Here's some pictures from the SAI lot and Cafe:

a Vista Blue KR, with my car as little brother in the background:

th_DSCN0065.jpg

Amy's SGT with glass roof, and her SS:

th_DSCN0091.jpg

The KR and Amy's SS; menu items, I presume:

th_DSCN0098.jpg

th_DSCN0098.jpg

One more post to follow, with pics especially for Michael Morris. I had a great time, and was really impressed with the personal attention. I hope everyone gets to do this... :superhero:

Very cool, can really tell you enjoyed the experience. I dropped my GT500 off the day before you, Ebony coupe. It is there for the SS package, you didn't happen to see it. Missing the car and waiting like a kid at Christmas, LOL.

Al

Very cool, can really tell you enjoyed the experience. I dropped my GT500 off the day before you, Ebony coupe. It is there for the SS package, you didn't happen to see it. Missing the car and waiting like a kid at Christmas, LOL.

Al

Sorry I missed you. Lots of ebony coupes, and I wanted to bring one home with me. Yours was probably in the stripe shop, then. I was told that mine would be half done the day I brought it in, and finished the next. Stripes first these days...

Thanks, Don. The pictures I've seen are great, and after seeing both the black-striped SS's and the 40th's, I know I made the right decision for myself. I've been mulling over the best plan for getting it back, and here's the latest version. I'm going to rent an enclosed trailer, and tow it back with my F-150. That way, I can bring back the parts at the same time, without worrying about the shipping hassles, and it will also be simpler with getting everything back across the border. I can break in the parts (break in, not break :P ) properly, with the recommended cool downs, and avoid the temptation of driving again too soon. I'm weak, so I need to control the urges that these cars develop in me.

But you know, it's possible that the car might just escape the trailer once in a while for 25 mile stretches, like on the twisties just north of Vegas as you go through the hills on I-15. That stretch of road is a LOT of fun, even at moderate speeds. The back on the trailer for its cool-down while I make more progress getting home. The big question is, how do I keep my friend interested in just driving the truck? :headscratch:

This really is the best choice for making sure your parts are right. The towing capacity of your F150 will be above the limit with the trailer, car, and take off parts so be careful. I have yet to find a place to rent a covered trailer, good luck.

Theres a member on here who is trying to sell his enclosed trailor. If your interested I will hook yall up and let yall talk about it.

michael morris

I see you opened her up a little, hahaha, 141mph max speed on the cars computer. :shift: Good choice on getting the 40th package instead of the SS, too bad they are going to put silver stripes on the car, I think a vista blue 40th stripe delete would look awesome and unique, but thats just me. Be careful out there, with 725hp you can get in trouble, real quick.

I see you opened her up a little, hahaha, 141mph max speed on the cars computer. :shift: Good choice on getting the 40th package instead of the SS, too bad they are going to put silver stripes on the car, I think a vista blue 40th stripe delete would look awesome and unique, but thats just me. Be careful out there, with 725hp you can get in trouble, real quick.

My car is (was) stripe delete, so I know what you're saying. I was thinking of buying another set of replacement 40th stripes, assuming that they couldn't be put back on if removed. Is this true? Then I could have a stripe-delete again (sleeper!). But I think I'll like the silver stripes...

As far as being careful, I pick my my spots. Otherwise, I drive fairly conservative. I started the drivability thread just to gauge what these monsters were like, so I could adjust inside my head. I took a couple of 90 degree corners shortly after getting my vert a little spirited, shall we say. With traction control on, I had it sideways, but it recovered very quickly when I lifted. I've been more gradual on the learning curve since then, but still like the go pedal. I will, though, be careful...

This really is the best choice for making sure your parts are right. The towing capacity of your F150 will be above the limit with the trailer, car, and take off parts so be careful. I have yet to find a place to rent a covered trailer, good luck.

I'll check the specs. I read on another forum that it would be okay, but I have to be sure. i'd prefer not to rent a truck too, that could hurt. Come to think of it, the post I read was probably trailer + car, but no parts. How much do they weigh? Damn, more homework! :banghead:

Theres a member on here who is trying to sell his enclosed trailor. If your interested I will hook yall up and let yall talk about it.

michael morris

You can send me his info, but I'm guessing it's too far away to be practical for me. But the world is shrinking...

500forMe (Mark) has given me info on his friend's Featherlite dealership an hour north of me, so I'll be checking with them first. Thanks for the lead.

You can send me his info, but I'm guessing it's too far away to be practical for me. But the world is shrinking...

500forMe (Mark) has given me info on his friend's Featherlite dealership an hour north of me, so I'll be checking with them first. Thanks for the lead.

Vogon,

Featherlite will work with your F150. The weight of the trailer is 3,100 to 3,300 depending on options, another 4,000 for your car, and several hundred lbs for your parts will put you under the 7,900 to 8,100 towing capacity. A regular 24 foot trailer will probably add 500 to 800 lbs.

Hey Vogon

I would love to see your car when you get it back to Calgary.

I'm in Vegas the first week of July. We will be going out to see the Shelby location again.

The last time I was there it was pretty new, no cafe, couldn't get a tour. Hopefully this time we can get a tour.

I'll check the specs. I read on another forum that it would be okay, but I have to be sure. i'd prefer not to rent a truck too, that could hurt. Come to think of it, the post I read was probably trailer + car, but no parts. How much do they weigh? Damn, more homework! :banghead:

I have an F150 and pulled a Wardhaul enclosed 20 ft trailer and my GT500 to Vegas from BC two weeks ago. I had no problem hauling it. The spec on trailer and car was less than towing capacity of the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having my car picked up in Red Deer tomorrow by an enclosed custom transport. They are supposed to deliver the car to SIA on June 20th, so if your car will be ready by then, you may want to consider them picking it up for you! Let me know if you are interested and I will give you the contact info.

Hey Vogon

I would love to see your car when you get it back to Calgary.

I'm in Vegas the first week of July. We will be going out to see the Shelby location again.

The last time I was there it was pretty new, no cafe, couldn't get a tour. Hopefully this time we can get a tour.

RJSTEW,

Hi! :) Glad to hear you will be visiting us out here at the S H E L B Y museum. I just wanted to let you know, that we only give 1 tour a day, M-F @ 10:30. The tour does go into the back shop areas. If you miss the 10:30 tour, the museum is open all day from 8-4.

Just wanted to give you the time for the tour, so that you don't miss it! :dance:

I am having my car picked up in Red Deer tomorrow by an enclosed custom transport. They are supposed to deliver the car to SIA on June 20th, so if your car will be ready by then, you may want to consider them picking it up for you! Let me know if you are interested and I will give you the contact info.

PM sent. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Bubbles called me yesterday - it's DONE! I expect to pick it up on Tuesday next week, driving home (more bugs!), shipping the parts. I'll post in the Arrivals thread next week after I get back...

Have a safe trip. I trailered mine back, but I was taking my parts with me. Hope you have a great radar detector :happy feet:

Al

Bubbles called me yesterday - it's DONE! I expect to pick it up on Tuesday next week, driving home (more bugs!), shipping the parts. I'll post in the Arrivals thread next week after I get back...

I may be going to Vegas next week. Maybe we can meet up at SAI when you take delivery. I would love to see you new 40th before it's all bugged up. :hysterical:

I may be going to Vegas next week. Maybe we can meet up at SAI when you take delivery. I would love to see you new 40th before it's all bugged up. :hysterical:

I expect to be into Vegas Monday evening, and at SAI Tuesday morning, early. Monday would have been better, but Bubbles is getting married and taking Monday off. Can you believe that? :hysterical3:

When will you be there? I just posted a new thread, looking for bug spray that can be used before heading out onto the highway...

Vogon,

My wife and I drove out to Vegas from Ohio and did the return trip--what a great experience. Glad to see that you're doing the same--these cars should be driven. No tips on the bugs though.... Regards.

Stuart

I expect to be into Vegas Monday evening, and at SAI Tuesday morning, early. Monday would have been better, but Bubbles is getting married and taking Monday off. Can you believe that? :hysterical3:

When will you be there? I just posted a new thread, looking for bug spray that can be used before heading out onto the highway...

Not sure on the time frame yet. Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday.

Archived