TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fair trade value????

09GT500

So I stop by the Ford dealer to explore the 0% @ 72 months deal. Everything is looking good for a trade until they tell me they will give me 19,000 for my car. First off, it's immaculate, no scratches, dings, dents, nada, zip, zilch. Any of the Ford guys on here think they are way off or are they realistic?

Pertinent info:

Red int

Shaker 500

17" wheels

5spd

Side airbags

ABS

11K miles

Flawless condition, even they admitted it...

Guest evilchris

So I stop by the Ford dealer to explore the 0% @ 72 months deal. Everything is looking good for a trade until they tell me they will give me 19,000 for my car. First off, it's immaculate, no scratches, dings, dents, nada, zip, zilch. Any of the Ford guys on here think they are way off or are they realistic?

Pertinent info:

Red int

Shaker 500

17" wheels

5spd

Side airbags

ABS

11K miles

Flawless condition, even they admitted it...

Sell the car private party. You get raped in trades, dealer has to build in his profit.

KBB says trade in value is 22.9 excellent, 21.6 Good, and 19.4 fair. He's screwing you.

Sell the car private party. You get raped in trades, dealer has to build in his profit.

KBB says trade in value is 22.9 excellent, 21.6 Good, and 19.4 fair. He's screwing you.

Is that KBB retail, or trade in? No one, and I mean no one pays KBB retail!

Sounds like a great car - right now '06's (Deluxe GT w/autos and a few options) are selling for 22K all day long with 0%. My local paper had 4 different dealers advertizing the this basic deal last weekend- albeit as their loss leaders - but again, I've bought loss leader cars (or pricing) before easily. It just takes a little bit of negociating (sp) skill.

Is yours the "Premium" version? That would certainly add some value + the other options.

And of course, sell it private party if you want the best bang for your buck - dealers will screw you.

Good luck to you!

Sounds like a great car - right now '06's (Deluxe GT w/autos and a few options) are selling for 22K all day long with 0%. My local paper had 4 different dealers advertizing the this basic deal last weekend- albeit as their loss leaders - but again, I've bought loss leader cars (or pricing) before easily. It just takes a little bit of negociating (sp) skill.

Is yours the "Premium" version? That would certainly add some value + the other options.

And of course, sell it private party if you want the best bang for your buck - dealers will screw you.

Good luck to you!

The answer also depends upon what they are selling you the new car for. If its significantly less than the MSRP, then it does sound like to bad of a deal. I dont know about your state, but if you have sales tax, most states deduct the tax amount for the trade so you would only be paying the difference in sales tax. That savings could be applied to what they offering you for comparison sakes. Then you have the hassle factor to consider, of selling it.

Its a tough call without all of the facts.

Guest evilchris

Good luck to you!

Trade in, I made sure. Retail is higher. Blow out pricing doesn't affect blue book values....

Trade in, I made sure. Retail is higher. Blow out pricing doesn't affect blue book values....

Update:

I did the deal. :happy feet: I now own an '06 Tungsten with the shaker 1000. I had a silver '05 with red interior and the shaker 500 sound system. They finally came up to 21,300 on my car. And yes I was quoting the trade in value, not retail. I feel like I got a fair deal in the end. Now, I'm going to be putting on a set of chrome CT-Rs on my new ride like Rat-n-Cage. THey are backoredered on the gun metal for three months!

Next question is how wide should I go on the rear tires? 18x10" with an offset of 22mm/backspace 6.4" I'm thinking at least 275/45/18, maybe 285. What would you guys put on the rears? The guy on the phone said 305s would fit, but I'm thinking that's a bit much. Thoughts?

Aprreciate all the input guys.

Blow out pricing does in fact have a great deal to do with what your trade is worth - particularly when you're trading a like vehicle! The amount the dealer is able to resell the trade-in is directly impacted by what the equivelent new vehicle can be bought for.

09GT500, getting that much for your trade is a very good deal for you, assuming you were also offered a fair price for the new one!

p.s. I also went ahead with a chrome set of CT-R's (10's in back and 9's up front). You can fit up to 305's on the 10's but the rep told me that 285/40's are the best fit. 255/45's are recommended for the narrower rim. Basically, you can use the exact same tire sizes that the GT500 uses.

The rep came by today and brought my wheels - you won't be disapointed - they are awesome looking.

Gun metal was my first choice too, but I didn't want to wait

Forget KBB, all the dealer works off is the "Wholesale" price out of that little black book that flips open. Same price he could expect at the auction. Next option is when he's calling around to other dealers to gauge what they would pay. KBB comes into play when your selling privately (and no tax) and when your buying from the dealer.

Per Edmunds.com ... trade-in $21,438!

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail

National Base Price $19,033 $20,661 $21,993

Optional Equipment $891 $990 $1,193

Premium Audio System $104 $115 $139

Polished Aluminum/Alloy Wheels $85 $95 $114

AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3 Audio System $104 $115 $139

5-Speed Automatic Transmission $436 $485 $584

Front Side Airbags $162 $180 $217

Color Adjustment

Silver $67 $72 $77

Regional Adjustment

for Zip Code 11105 $65 $71 $75