TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Corvette owners

kaylan1521

I had a lot of driving to do today so I thought I'd take the Shelby. While out on the road I lost count of all the thumbs up and nice car comments all day. Even a SRT8 Charger gave me "the nod"

However, around 2pm I was driving up a main street and I see him coming in the mirror. Black C5 with the pretty typical golf shirt wearing driver. So he dices and slices to get alongside me and I look over expecting "the nod", not this loser. With a 5 ton truck and a set of lights ahead of us he nails it for about 100 feet. I slide in behind him to get past the truck and just when I have the opportunity to get back in my lane.....he gets in the left turn lane. :baby::baby:

So having said all that I've come to the conclusion that even if the C6 is or is not faster and the Z06 drives circles around our cars there is one thing 99% of Corvettes and owners lack that we have tonnes of.....

MOJO.

Thus, I'll never own a Corvette.

End of rant and not directed at Carnut as you are clearly of the 1%

Guest evilchris

I had a lot of driving to do today so I thought I'd take the Shelby. While out on the road I lost count of all the thumbs up and nice car comments all day. Even a SRT8 Charger gave me "the nod"

However, around 2pm I was driving up a main street and I see him coming in the mirror. Black C5 with the pretty typical golf shirt wearing driver. So he dices and slices to get alongside me and I look over expecting "the nod", not this loser. With a 5 ton truck and a set of lights ahead of us he nails it for about 100 feet. I slide in behind him to get past the truck and just when I have the opportunity to get back in my lane.....he gets in the left turn lane. :baby::baby:

So having said all that I've come to the conclusion that even if the C6 is or is not faster and the Z06 drives circles around our cars there is one thing 99% of Corvettes and owners lack that we have tonnes of.....

MOJO.

meh, I wouldn't say 99% based on this 1 experience. I just think 99% of people are complete jerkoffs, Mustangs, Vettes, it doesn't matter.

MOJO.

Thanks Kaylan, I dont even own a golf shirt :hysterical:

I think you got the snob snub :baby:

MOJO.

:hysterical: .................ah, he's just jeolous you get more thumbs up and nods than he does. :hysterical:

Probably just an unfortunate combination of circumstances: golf-shirt + 'vette ≈ dork. <just kiddin'>

Are you sure you didn't stray over the 'line' into Ann Arbor? Did he look like a C&D columnist?

MOJO's a good word - it explains why it's the person in the car that matters.

Probably just an unfortunate combination of circumstances: golf-shirt + 'vette ≈ dork. <just kiddin'>

Are you sure you didn't stray over the 'line' into Ann Arbor? Did he look like a C&D columnist?

MOJO's a good word - it explains why it's the person in the car that matters.

Gotta be the C&D columist, who else would be such a snob? Not even regular vette owners are that bad, well maybe some :happy feet:

MOJO.

LOL,

Its not just Corvette guys...its anyone in a golf shirt thats in a ride with more than 200HP....I was driving in a friends Viper and a BMW M3 popped in beside us...and at the light he nailed it....and hit a lady making a right turn in his lane...he was so focused on what we were doing that he didn't even put on his brakes...screeched off the line and plowed into her...Yup he was wearing a golf shirt....

Have you brought the SHelby to Joe's yet?

Cheers,

Requis

IMHO, "REAL" car guys appreciate all cool cars, athough they will prefer to drive ones they feel most passionate about.

I agree. I just think that some people don't think ANY cars made by a certain company are "cool". As you can see, I've owned both Chevy and Ford as well as many Japanese brands. I've never owned a Chrysler. My comments below about Chrysler are geared towards the cars from the late '60s and early '70s since those were the cars I was buying often in the '80s.

It's not that I hate Chryslers, just don't like the body styling and think they (at least in the '60s) were not of the quality level of the other two. I was a technician in the '80s when I was buying a lot of cars (changed cars quite often in those days), and every Chrysler I saw come in had more problems at an equivalent mileage than the Fords and Chevys.

For example, although the torsion bar suspension was nice in that you could adjust ride height, they tended to sag and stretch more easily than leaf/coil springs on the others. I was constantly replacing torsion bars. In contrast, the leaf springs on my 37 year old Camaro have been replaced only once...in 1986. Brakes were another issue (this came on later...the cars in the late '70s and early '80s), the Chrysler's used to use a "phenolic" (plastic) piston in their front calipers, and they were famous for seizing. The brake hoses they used would dry rot and I was always replacing those. I did alignments also, and Chrysler used a slot in the frame where the upper control arms were mounted. This required a lot of patience when doing an alignment, and they would sometimes "slip" if you hit a curb, etc. GM used shims, which were much better. Ford used eccentric cams, which worked pretty well. When computer-controlled engines first came out, Chrysler mounted their computer ON THE AIR CLEANER! Oh my, that didn't seem too smart. There it was, shaking like crazy, exposed to the heat and humidity, etc. They were problematic. Their starters would spin for much longer after disengagement than a Ford or Chevy...which I didn't like....in case the car didn't start on the first time and you had to "re-crank" the engine.

This theme continued throughout...which is why I never bought a Chrysler. I do have some good things to say about Chryslers. One of the fastest cars I ever rode in was a 340 powered Dodge Dart. Not the best styling, but that thing really ran. In addition, I think Chrysler had the neatest paint colors of anyone on their muscle cars. Their "purple haze" was phenomenal. Their "fuzzy" lettering on their shaker hoods was really need, and their "accordion" steering columns on the interior were cool. They also had "pistol grip" shifters on some of their more powerful cars, which I really liked.

I'm sure there are people out there who can find similar things about GMs and Fords that make them "inferior" in their eyes to Chrysler...I'm only noting MY observations as a technician.

As a side note, my 1969 Camaro has a Ford starter solenoid mounted on the firewall. GM starter solenoids were famous for "heat soak" since they were mounted directly on the starter (just below the headers). I used to have lots of problems getting my 11:1 CR engine to crank when the car was hot...so I swapped to the Ford solenoid and it's been perfect for 20 years. It even allows me to easily "bump" the starter to slightly rotate the engine when I'm setting my solid lifter cam. This is an example where I found a Ford part/system far superior to my Chevy part...so I stole the idea.

Dave

I agree. I just think that some people don't think ANY cars made by a certain company are "cool". As you can see, I've owned both Chevy and Ford as well as many Japanese brands. I've never owned a Chrysler. My comments below about Chrysler are geared towards the cars from the late '60s and early '70s since those were the cars I was buying often in the '80s.

It's not that I hate Chryslers, just don't like the body styling and think they (at least in the '60s) were not of the quality level of the other two. I was a technician in the '80s when I was buying a lot of cars (changed cars quite often in those days), and every Chrysler I saw come in had more problems at an equivalent mileage than the Fords and Chevys.

For example, although the torsion bar suspension was nice in that you could adjust ride height, they tended to sag and stretch more easily than leaf/coil springs on the others. I was constantly replacing torsion bars. In contrast, the leaf springs on my 37 year old Camaro have been replaced only once...in 1986. Brakes were another issue (this came on later...the cars in the late '70s and early '80s), the Chrysler's used to use a "phenolic" (plastic) piston in their front calipers, and they were famous for seizing. The brake hoses they used would dry rot and I was always replacing those. I did alignments also, and Chrysler used a slot in the frame where the upper control arms were mounted. This required a lot of patience when doing an alignment, and they would sometimes "slip" if you hit a curb, etc. GM used shims, which were much better. Ford used eccentric cams, which worked pretty well. When computer-controlled engines first came out, Chrysler mounted their computer ON THE AIR CLEANER! Oh my, that didn't seem too smart. There it was, shaking like crazy, exposed to the heat and humidity, etc. They were problematic. Their starters would spin for much longer after disengagement than a Ford or Chevy...which I didn't like....in case the car didn't start on the first time and you had to "re-crank" the engine.

This theme continued throughout...which is why I never bought a Chrysler. I do have some good things to say about Chryslers. One of the fastest cars I ever rode in was a 340 powered Dodge Dart. Not the best styling, but that thing really ran. In addition, I think Chrysler had the neatest paint colors of anyone on their muscle cars. Their "purple haze" was phenomenal. Their "fuzzy" lettering on their shaker hoods was really need, and their "accordion" steering columns on the interior were cool. They also had "pistol grip" shifters on some of their more powerful cars, which I really liked.

I'm sure there are people out there who can find similar things about GMs and Fords that make them "inferior" in their eyes to Chrysler...I'm only noting MY observations as a technician.

As a side note, my 1969 Camaro has a Ford starter solenoid mounted on the firewall. GM starter solenoids were famous for "heat soak" since they were mounted directly on the starter (just below the headers). I used to have lots of problems getting my 11:1 CR engine to crank when the car was hot...so I swapped to the Ford solenoid and it's been perfect for 20 years. It even allows me to easily "bump" the starter to slightly rotate the engine when I'm setting my solid lifter cam. This is an example where I found a Ford part/system far superior to my Chevy part...so I stole the idea.

Dave

Well Dave, I am insulted. How dare you take a Ford part and put in a Chevrolet. That's worse than my putting a one wire Chevy alternator on my 66 Mustang. I think you better take it back, MISTER. :poke:

<lol>

Good read, Dave...thanks... And that plastic brake piston thing struck a chord with me. I just replaced the whole caliper/disc assemblies on my '92 Ranger -- yep, plastic pistons and [almost] seized. Who'd a thunk even thermo-plastics could take that kind of heat (then again maybe it can't, hence seizure <lol>).

I'm a Ford bigot for sure but can appreciate other cars too (like your DZ camaro ;) I have to admit I've always felt Ford has done fairly consistently well in the styling department (with some exceptions, of course). And the classic 'vette Stingrays were really beautiful (and some very fast). Never warmed up much to Chrysler styling - always seemed clunky, but that might just be me. But the old Hemi's -- they were the real deal. Loved the battles growing up: the 427 Fords, 427 Chevys and 426 Hemis -- what a blast it was!!!

:baby:

I don't like to profile - but - I have to say that I've encountered more Vette snobs than any other brand.

I've got a neighbor (blocks away) with a C6. I can be out washing my Z and when he drives right past, he'll never wave back. I wave every time. Dork.

And that's all I have to say about that.

You are just doing it wrong. Full extend the hand, palm facing you, fingers up. Bend the first, third and fourth fingers downward. Do the same with the opposite hand, except don't bend the fingers, place palm out. Begin the greeting by waving the palm out hand. Once eye contact is acheived, change hangs and wave more vigorously

That ought to do it. If not, he is blind and shouldn't be driving so follow him and flatten all tires.Its ok as it is a public s :hysterical: service in the interest of safety

Whaaaat! I'm a very nice person :tease: My therapist told me so :rant: I might go a little overboard at times but there are currently no wants or warrants out on me. :cheerleader:

.....maybe we should be...worried...that you are checking to see if you have wants/warrents out.... :hysterical:

but hell, I'm the one that wanted to go nuclear. :bandance:

carnut - send me some DNA - you may be my long lost brother....which, naturally, has me worried.

I've contacted the authorities just in case. :baby:

you worried?....and just what are we to think if you end up being his long lost......sister...... :doh:

..off to pick up wife and take her to Granite City, a local brewpub/restaurant....her first grade class is large this year, and no discipline.....she is slowly going nuts....just like us :hysterical:

carnut - send me some DNA - you may be my long lost brother....which, naturally, has me worried.

I've contacted the authorities just in case. :baby:

And.......just how would like that DNA? Hey, what the hell is DNA anyway? You trying to pull a fast one and get my personal information or something. And just who are those authorities anyway. This is all sounding very suspicious to me. And what are rolling rocks for, is that a trap?

You are really making me nevous man. :gang:

Extinguish the Blunt and back away from the Hendrix poster very slowly...

Da Da dadada Dum Dum,

you know I waited for you guys this morning at 0530. The place was a mess, no one picked up nothing. I got a dent in the rotor blade too! I set her down and waited. God, do you know how bad empty liquor bottles and beer cans mixed with smoke (you know what kind) smells?

I know you guys were there, saw the pink thong in the tree, cute.

And whose wrecked Excursion was that, could a been the Feds, wasn't sure.

One thing for sure, next time some one plans an op like this, I want to be paid for the JP-4 in advance. You know how hard it is getting JP-4 at the ARCO station. I didn't even get a doughnut.

I think we need a little better planning boys.

:cheerleader: Boom :cheerleader:

kaylan, be careful how you categorize Vette drivers...I drive my '01 Vette on weekends and my '06 GT to work everyday...and, yes, I wear my golf shirt to work everyday! :bandance:

I consider myself lucky to own TWO of America's Sportscars!

kaylan, be careful how you categorize Vette drivers...I drive my '01 Vette on weekends and my '06 GT to work everyday...and, yes, I wear my golf shirt to work everyday! :bandance:

I consider myself lucky to own TWO of America's Sportscars!

OK, I'll confess. I have owned a Vette and a 67 Camaro. So when I speak of the Vette crowd I speak from experience of a few vette gatherings. God forbid you don't have a NCRS approved bolt holding the non factory chromed front bumper.

I'm sure there's a story somewhere on a Vette site of how some schmo handed a GT500 his a$$ and being the competitive guy that I am that burns me up. Only difference is I don't play on the streets. PERIOD. Other than taking it up through the gears which stops in 3rd I take it to the track .

Wanna run? meet me at the track. I've taken my share but also handed it out but at least it's not on the street.

I also own two american sportscars....They're both Mustangs.

I don't like to profile - but - I have to say that I've encountered more Vette snobs than any other brand.

I've got a neighbor (blocks away) with a C6. I can be out washing my Z and when he drives right past, he'll never wave back. I wave every time. Dork.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Soak him with the hose next time he passes that will get his attention, and say oh im sorry the trigger got stuck. :hysterical:

Carnut - I expect a full report 0600.

(and hose down the interior of the Huey)

Men - we need to show more respect for our equipment.

Does it really matter what cars we drive?

What matters is we like cars.

Now - where's the details for our next op?

I've had some intel there's a dealer in Chicago who's asking $300 for fabric protection? :rant:

Carnut - I expect a full report 0600.

(and hose down the interior of the Huey)

Men - we need to show more respect for our equipment.

Does it really matter what cars we drive?

What matters is we like cars.

Now - where's the details for our next op?

I've had some intel there's a dealer in Chicago who's asking $300 for fabric protection? :rant:

Well that just aint right. He can't sell protection in Chicago, that's Uncle Vito's gig. Damn right were going hit him, he aint got any vending machines in that dealership does he? He's in real trouble if he does, that belongs to some one else's uncle. Now that we got that settled maybe we ought to take the Lincoln instead, more stylish :gang:

Archived