TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How much will we PAY?

sudden

The troops are not fighting for oil so I fail to see how not buying gas would show support for the troops.

I never said our US servicemen were over there fighting for the oil. I was VERY CLEAR in what I said that our soldiers are giving up their lives for people who don't give a crap about the democracy that has cost us 3000+ soldiers lives getting the democracy for them. Case in point, the recent event (yesterday?) where the US military and Iraqi armed forces were to stage a surprise sweep for dissendents and rebels but it failed because the Iraqi commanders announced the day and times of the raids. There are at numerous other occassions of this very same thing happening time and time again. And this is just one example of lots that shows they have every intent to protect their own including the insurgents and just let the US military do all the work and lose US military lives to secure their desert country. These towel-head camel-jockies are too closely related by way of their religio-politically ties and that directly plays to causing such Iraqi military failures and numerous failures to secure their own government. They are doing the usual "straddle-the-fence" game and its costing the US in blood, debt-forgiveness, US economic disruption and a whole lot of other sh*t that we are flipping the bill for.

So yes these SOB's owe the US something back BIG TIME for everything we are giving up and losing over there. And the Iraqi and Kuwait oil is a good place to start in terms of paying us back for all the bul*sh*t we have been given by that entire Middle East area.

As to congress you are right in that they are a bunch of empty headed do nothings however most of them can't even control their bowels much less the price of oil.

Yea but they seem to know to introduce and pass bills that put ceiling or caps on everything else, what the hell is so different about putting a cap on fuel prices? Nixon did it in the 1970's and it helped greatly. I should know...I lived through it.

The price of oil as we see it now is due to increased demand worldwide and at home, speculating in the futures markets and the falling dollar. The fed could prop up the dollar by raising interest rates but then people would be pissed off about that plus the fact that the government doesn't want a strong dollar as it would make paying the interest on the national debt all but impossible. As to the oil companies, our domestic companies control such a small percentage of the worlds oil that they also have no real control over pricing. Also, the "huge and excessive" oil company profits everybody is always talking about actually amounted to about an 8.4% margin. Industry as a whole operates on average at about 7.8%. The oil companies profits are right in line with most other industries. The pharmaceutical industry has MUCH higher profit margins than the oil companies.

There wouldn't be a national f*ing debt if the federal government would quit giving away our trillions in tax dollars to solve foreign affairs that are steeped in religio-political dogma. And futures speculating is NOT the ROOT CAUSE of advancing oil prices. The ROOT CAUSE for the futures speculation that is occurring is precisely this......Two years ago Al Qaeda 2nd-in-command Al-Zawahiri released a tape where he stated the next terrorist attack upon the United States would NOT be by blowing up building or anything...it would be instead a direct non-violent assault upon the US economy....he said it would happen within 2 years.....well bucko...there you have....if you think Al-Qaeda and OPEC don't have any direct ties that can be leveraged to cause the price manipulations going on then you are completely naive or extremely out-of-touch. No this is a non-violent terrorist attack occurring exactly as Al-Zawahiri described two years earlier...and the attack is being carried out right on schedule as he announced it would.

Basically we here in America seem to believe that we have a god given right to limited natural resources and we are pissed because we are having to pay more for them and lashing out at anybody we can blame. Oil prices are high and they will stay that way. We just need to get used to it and adjust. No amount of screaming or protesting will change the situation. As far as opening up the borders, that just makes no sense at all.

Well yea we do have a right to the resources...maybe not God-given (and I'm not ashamed to capitalize the "G" in God)...but certainly a humanitarian-given right that we have most certainly earned as a result of our continuous and unending bailing out of the world everytime these foreign a-holes start stirring up world matters with their ideological fanaticism...and we have been doing the bailing out for at least the last 100 years that I am historically aware of. So in my books that's at least a 100 years of resources yet owed to us for all the lives lost and money we spent on ungrateful foreign fools .

And since you probably don't have a clue about history here are the US servicemen casualty figures for you to digest:

World War I (1917–1918)

Battle deaths 53,402

Other deaths in service (nontheater) 63,114

Nonmortal woundings 204,002

World War II (1940–1945)

Battle deaths 291,557

Other deaths in service (nontheater) 113,842

Nonmortal woundings 671,846

Korean War (1950–1953)

Battle deaths 33,741

Other deaths in service (theater) 2,833

Other deaths in service (nontheater) 17,672

Nonmortal woundings 103,284

Vietnam War (1964–1975)

Battle deaths 47,424

Other deaths in service (theater) 10,785

Other deaths in service (nontheater) 32,000

Nonmortal woundings 153,303

Gulf War (1990–1991)

Battle deaths 147

Other deaths in service (theater) 382

Other deaths in service (nontheater) 1,565

Nonmortal woundings 467

Global War on Terror (as of Sept. 30, 2006)

Battle Deaths 2,333

Other Deaths (In Theater) 707

Non-mortal Woundings 21,649

That's an awful lot of domestic servicemen blood spilled on damn foreign soils their bucko. SO HELL YEA there is some resources owed to us for all the US servicemen casualties incurred to secure the freedoms around this planet.

And an emphatic YES...demonstrations DO change matters....demonstrations are exactly what changed the United States back in the 1960's and 1970's that has:

1. Given a chance for a blackman to possibly become a US President.

2. Curtailed blatant civil-right violations.

3. Helped bring an end to the Vietnam War.

4. Ended women-suffrage.

5. Eliminated discriminations of various sorts.

6. Finally ended the employer managerial violations that continued after the national wildcat strikes of 1959-60.

7. Put a cap on fuel prices in the 70's (as a result of truckers circling Washington DC with their 18-wheeler rigs and closing the city down for a couple weeks).

8. Got the vote for blacks and woman

9. Opened up all schools to all races, colors and creeds

10. Put an end to a mandatory military service draft

11. And the list goes on and on.....

The problem with people born of or after the 70's is that those post-70's folks don't have a damn clue what it means to have to be discriminated against or treated unfairly....the way was paved for their lives using my generation's blood, sweat and tears from our demonstrating in the street and getting our heads beat in and water hoses turned on us so we could make this world better for those post 70's people...we won the freedoms and rights these folks enjoy today by fighting the establishment in the streets.... and many of those rights those folks are enjoying today they mistakenly think originated 200 years ago...well think again bucko....because what got instituted 200 years ago on paper really didn't happen in reality until the 1960 and 70's as result of the social upheavals we regulary carried out while the post-70's babies were all safely sucking their thumbs :baby: and playing with their toes inside their comfy craddles and strollers.

So don't even give me that crap that demonstrations won't change anything because you couldn't possibly know about something you are too complacent to even try. No you just continue to sit there and regurgitate what you hear and watch on the radio and TV news and just sit there and pander it all away while taking it up the az* everyday instead of doing your turn at taking a stand in the street........no sir, thank you for nothing but your taking without giving back....... :angry22:

Wow. You sure seem to be an angry guy. I won't even address most of your post since the logic is too circular to follow. However, I will take the time to clear up a few things since your post seemed to almost be a personal attack on me.

1. I lived through the 60's AND the 70's as I'm almost 50 years old. I waited in gas lines during the arab oil embargo.

2. History is actually one of my greatest interests so saying "And since you probably don't have a clue about history" is rather presumptuous.

3. I really don't like being referred to as "Bucko" since it is rather insulting and there was no call for it. I feel the same way about being called "Chief" or "Champ".

4. Not capitalizing God was due to fast typing and not some athiest conspiracy. I doubt that the almighty is too upset over it.

Wow. You sure seem to be an angry guy. I won't even address most of your post since the logic is too circular to follow. However, I will take the time to clear up a few things since your post seemed to almost be a personal attack on me.

1. I lived through the 60's AND the 70's as I'm almost 50 years old. I waited in gas lines during the arab oil embargo.

2. History is actually one of my greatest interests so saying "And since you probably don't have a clue about history" is rather presumptuous.

3. I really don't like being referred to as "Bucko" since it is rather insulting and there was no call for it. I feel the same way about being called "Chief" or "Champ".

4. Not capitalizing God was due to fast typing and not some athiest conspiracy. I doubt that the almighty is too upset over it.

Don't start with this "you seem to be an angry guy" argument. That kind of argument is the usuall BS feeble attempt to dodge the issues and getting the spotlight off yourself and on to the other person. That won't work here. And there is nothing "circular" about anything I said. If you don't want to take the time to read everything I had to say and address it then just say so instead of again making some BS excuse about "circular" logic. That doesn't work with me either.

1. As for your being "almost 50".....Being in your 50's and being almost 50 are two different things. If you are "almost 50" then that means you were NOT one of the people out in the streets protesting, getting your heads beat in and hosed down or shot with rubber bullets. It means you were at home and too young to be involved in such activities....which again speaks to the fact that you cannot even comment about something you know nothing about in terms of actual participation in the streets.

2. Having an interest in history as you state is not the same as actively participating in it or choosing to change its course. Being an "armchair" historian as you are contributes nothing to history.

3 and 4. Well if you felt something as harmless as being referred to as "Bucko" was insulting to you, then I would expect God to indeed feel slighted by your lack of respect toward Him. He isn't defined according to your will, you are defined according to His....and at a minimum that demands respect from you when referencing Him anytime you do it.

Don't start with this "you seem to be an angry guy" argument. That kind of argument is the usuall BS feeble attempt to dodge the issues and getting the spotlight off yourself and on to the other person. That won't work here. And there is nothing "circular" about anything I said. If you don't want to take the time to read everything I had to say and address it then just say so instead of again making some BS excuse about "circular" logic. That doesn't work with me either.

No feeble attempt at anything. It would take an FBI profiler months to figure out the point of your post. What I took away from it is that you believe that the Arabs owe us free oil because we fought in WWI. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, The gulf war and the Iraq war.

1. As for your being "almost 50".....Being in your 50's and being almost 50 are two different things. If you are "almost 50" then that means you were NOT one of the people out in the streets protesting, getting your heads beat in and hosed down or shot with rubber bullets. It means you were at home and too young to be involved in such activities....which again speaks to the fact that you cannot even comment about something you know nothing about in terms of actual participation in the streets.

Yep. You got me there. I've never been shot with rubber bullets or hosed down by the cops. Of course I've lived in Florida my whole life so my opportunities to expand my horizons in this manner have been somewhat curtailed. My guess is that 99% of the population also have never been shot with rubber bullets or hosed down by the cops. Are you saying that this is a prerequisite for having an opinion on the price of gasoline (the subject of this thread)?

2. Having an interest in history as you state is not the same as actively participating in it or choosing to change its course. Being an "armchair" historian as you are contributes nothing to history.

I was simply responding to your erroneous assumption that I had no knowlege of history. I never said that I had made history or that I had any interest in changing it.

3 and 4. Well if you felt something as harmless as being referred to as "Bucko" was insulting to you, then I would expect God to indeed feel slighted by your lack of respect toward Him. He isn't defined according to your will, you are defined according to His....and at a minimum that demands respect from you when referencing Him anytime you do it.

Yes. "Bucko" might be a term of endearment where you are from but anywhere else it would be considered derisive. Taken in context with the rest of your post I have no doubt whatsoever that it was meant as an insult. The bottom line is this: The thread was about the price of gas. I posted my opinion (which happens to also be the opinion of T. Boone Pickens among others) as to the cause of the high prices. You replied with a venom filled rant aimed at me. That's all I'm going to say on the subject as I have better things to do than get into an internet pissing contest.

Personally, I think the 60's demonstrations and politics, and changes resulting therefrom, had a few good intentions and results, but in large part were very damaging to our society. I can't go into detail - I have to get ready for work!

Personally, I think the 60's demonstrations and politics, and changes resulting therefrom, had a few good intentions and results, but in large part were very damaging to our society. I can't go into detail - I have to get ready for work!

Hmmm..

Would that be in conjunction with the comment you made a few days ago stating... Obama is a :censored: ?

The only thing worse than blantant racism is when it comes in subtle form or from behind closed doors.

Why don't you just cut to the chase and say what's on your mind instead of implying it?

I've spent the over 29 years with the military protecting "your" freedoms and interest...

...Not having it!!!

GROW A PAIR...

J

There are still a lot of people in MY generation that are fighting similar battles. To think that one generation made all the change and no one else does is completely ignorant on your part. You want to go into details, ask. But, battles continue, chief. It didn't stop 30 years ago.

Anyways, I drive the 01 and 08 bullitt off an on. The 01 gets the most mileage now and the 08 gets it when I'm feeling it. But the 01 gets better highway mileage. I don't let my cars be garage queens. :)

There are still a lot of people in MY generation that are fighting similar battles. To think that one generation made all the change and no one else does is completely ignorant on your part. You want to go into details, ask. But, battles continue, chief. It didn't stop 30 years ago.

Well Go ahead and enlighten me with identifying not only what social issues your generation was responsible for changing but also enlighten me with exactly HOW your generation accomplished doing it. Impress me......I'm willing to learn about what apparently history or social journals are keeping a big secret for some reason. :lurk:

Well Go ahead and enlighten me with identifying not only what social issues your generation was responsible for changing but also enlighten me with exactly HOW your generation accomplished doing it. Impress me......I'm willing to learn about what apparently history or social journals are keeping a big secret for some reason. :lurk:

Okay, we can create a separate thread on this sometime. But, guess what? Not all the world's problems were solved by people in the 60s. ARe you that naive to believe that stuff that went on then doesn't still happen now? Come on...

Also, yes, gas prices will continue to suck. Hang on for a fun ride in the next few years.

Hmmm..

Would that be in conjunction with the comment you made a few days ago stating... Obama is a :censored: ?

The only thing worse than blantant racism is when it comes in subtle form or from behind closed doors.

Why don't you just cut to the chase and say what's on your mind instead of implying it?

I've spent the over 29 years with the military protecting "your" freedoms and interest...

...Not having it!!!

GROW A PAIR...

J

"J',

Like I said, I had to go to work so I couldn't get into detail at that time. Apparently you misunderstood me, but I certainly won't respond to you with details due to your insulting comment. I will only say that that what I'm talking about has nothing to do with military people fighting for our freedoms overseas; it has to do with the people who have been taking down the USA internally due to their actions. I don't know if you're doing anything about that problem, but I am.

Archived