TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How much will we PAY?

sudden

I live in N. CA. and we pay a lot for gas. I drive a SGT as a daily driver and gas prices are near 5 bucks a gal. I will continue to drive but pay more. How may out there will cut back drivin their Shelbys as gas gets up to 6 bucks a gal. soon? What is the common idea here with our cars? This topic is up for discussion. SUDDEN. :drop:

I live in N. CA. and we pay a lot for gas. I drive a SGT as a daily driver and gas prices are near 5 bucks a gal. I will continue to drive but pay more. How may out there will cut back drivin their Shelbys as gas gets up to 6 bucks a gal. soon? What is the common idea here with our cars? This topic is up for discussion. SUDDEN. :drop:

My DD is a Toyota Rav 4. I was not concerned with gas prices as they relate to the Shelby, nor am I now. If it were $10 bucks a gallon, I would still drive it......the Shelby is my stress releif!

We have actually turned ours into a DD because of the gas prices.

I'll just quit running into the convenience store to pay 1.00 for a pint of water and put that towards the gas cost....lol

I don't buy water but I know alotta people who do...and they'll stand there drinking it while complaining about the price of gas...

The price of gas won't really affect me too much as I can walk to work...so I just drive mostly on weekends...

lucky...

plus gas here in NJ is somewhat cheaper than alotta places...I filled up the other day...3.89 a gallon

:)

I use my six banger now for DD for here in Miami the prices are also out of control but here we have another issue with the stop and go traffic and man does the SGT eat fuel like it's cool :blink: But,that's the way it goes.....I still drive the SGT hard for that is why I have car payment, for me it's not a sitting museum like most folks,it's a rolling one :shades:. I am in the healthcare field and when I say I drive my SGT hard I mean I enjoy it as much as I can for when you are on your death bed and can't drive anymore you only wish you didn't keep it in a warm garage and not ever driving it....call me whatever,but I can not stand folks who buys certain cars and only take them out every 3 months or whatever......

mustang3.jpg

ShelbyHomestead005.jpg

The Mazda 3 is the daily driver, the GT-500 is one of the fun cars. The biggest difference for me is that I'm probably not going to travel as far as I used to for a carshow. When I think that it is costing me .50 cents a mile to drive it, I think twice before I head somewhere....

Our DD is a Civic and my wife and I commute together, so we're fortunate in that respect. Our Expedition is rarely used anymore except when necessary, or towing our travel trailer, or when, like today, I used it to get to the airport on business, during which my company reimburses me for the mileage. Since I bought my Shelby I've used approx. 160 gallons of gas, in just over a year now.

When our Civic lease expires in 2.5 years, if an electric car is available I may go that route!!!

Being retired I can pretty much pick and choose when I drive and what. I have a Toyota Tundra that gets 18 MPG tops :banghead: It gets driven when I have to haul something or the weather is bad. I pretty much drive the Shelby most of the time in good weather but my fall back is the motorcycle. The liscense plate says it all. It's a BMW 1200GS with saddle bags and a tail trunk (all removeable) and is a 2 wheeled SUV. I go to the grocery store on it or 500 mile day trips or coast to coast trips, camping and whatever. I have foul weather ridding gear and ride anytime except in snowy or icy weather. It gets 45 to 55 MPG :happy feet: Of course now with gas prices what they are it costs as much to fill the tank on it as it did to fill the truck a few years ago. It holds about 5.5 gallons.

DSCN2396.jpg

Jim

Difficult question! Here in Switzerland we already are paying about USD 6.80 for 95 octane and 7.00 USD for 98 octane per gallon. I own 3 cars with V8 engines and I am still driving. In Germany e.g. the price is even higher (about 20-30 cent per liter) and they are still driving.

I started to reduce driving but buying a four banger??? No way. I hope there will be some beautiful and strong V8 hybrid cars in the future.

my 2 cents

Tim

suck it up and keep paying we pay alot for so many other thing in life why not gas. Lets go to star bucks anyone. My dd is a explore limited v8. :hysterical3: :happy feet: :talkhand:

I am going to drive my Shelby to Starbucks on Saturday!!...one of my favorite things to do, followed by a country-road cruise...weather permitting, of course.

our DD's are a 89 subaru wagon that I use as a truck and a 92 geo storm gsi, which is a rocket that gets 30 mph if you keep your foot out of it. We will drive the sgt conv just on sunny days on the weekend. I have had many HP cars in the past and never drove them as DD's. That is how I can get by not worrying about the gas. I get a thrill just looking at the car in the garage!

our DD's are a 89 subaru wagon that I use as a truck and a 92 geo storm gsi, which is a rocket that gets 30 mph if you keep your foot out of it. We will drive the sgt conv just on sunny days on the weekend. I have had many HP cars in the past and never drove them as DD's. That is how I can get by not worrying about the gas. I get a thrill just looking at the car in the garage!

:happy feet: I'm hoping to drive mine even more, It actually gets better mileage than my truck if my foot doesn't get too heavy

ALSO, I WAS TRYING TO JUST CONTINUE THE THREAD AND IT PUT MY POST ON A DIFFERENT PAGE! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? ALSO THERE IS NO PLACE TO DELETE MY POST IF I WANT TO THAT I CAN SEE!

I don't care about gas prices too much. Family car is a Saab 93 that gets great mileage and is only used to take the kids to school and across the street to the grocery store. Mint 2000 Mustang GT with 30K miles on it sits in storage with a dead battery and hasn't been driven in about 9 months. Shelby GT was picked up 1/1/2008 and has 180 miles on the clock. My work vehicle is a Cherokee and I have to drive it from Orlando to Miami three times per week for work (claims adjuster still doing 3-4 year old hurricane claims). The Cherokee costs me about $1000.00 per month in gas for which I receive no reimbursement. Compared to that, the SGT is an econobox. My biggest worry is simply that we are headed towards rationing and there will not be enough gas for my monthy ride around the block in the SGT.

Not sure how much of this is reality and how much is hype (or who would ever want to do this) but SCT has a new tuner specifically targeted at fuel economy (SCT Economizer). Didnt see Shelby GT on the list, but did see GT500. They claim 10% better mileage. Whats the break even point when you have to spend $399 on the device :)

http://www.sctflash.com/Economizer.php

Page

My Land Rover LR3 has to be arguably the least economical vehicle on the planet. Damn thing gets 13mpg on the highway! And I HAVE to use 93 octane! I love the thing and all, its a great vehicle, but I'll never buy another Land Rover. It stays parked unless I need to haul something or big family road trips.

Although I didn't originally want it to become so, my GT500 has pretty much become my DD. I try not to drive in the rain, but otherwise how could I NOT drive it??? Its just too damn irresistible! And it gets 18-22mpg if I take it easy.

Considering what they pay for gas in other countries, I think we've got it pretty good. I try to think of it like, "What if I lived over there?" And I always come back to, "Damn, that would suck...but hell yeah I'd pay." Maybe I'm just another sucker in love with the automobile.

Pig

My GT500 is now my daily driver.1400 miles in a month.I had a Bullitt that got 25 on the interstate,The GT500 gets about 22.I could drive a moped and save gas but then I would die miserable.Me thinks not!

Maybe I'm just another sucker in love with the automobile.

Pig

No but you are defintely a sucker for getting raped, pillaged and plundered by some camel-jockey towel-head.

We spent billions if not trillions on reconstructing several of their countries, cost over 3000+ US soldiers lives and 2500+ innocent citizen lives (you do still remember 9/11 don't you all) by way of their extreme Islamic interpretations and then our political dumbsh*ts in Washington turn around and forgive the debts they owe us at our tax-payers expense.... and then these low-lifes turn around and sit there and try to bust our economy day-in and day-out.........And we just sit here and do absolutely nothing but take it up the booty and smile and say here "What if I lived over there? Damn that would suck but hell yea I'll pay"

With the apathetic / apologetic US society like ours, if this were 250 years ago we would have never been able to break away from the British tyranny and create this country. Our US soldiers over there should be the ones who should get really pissed off at the US citizenship as they are the ones loosing their lives and fighting for a citizenship who shows absolutely no willingness to stand up and stop paying the sky-rocketing oil and fuel prices.

People drive around with their "Support Our Troops" yellow plastic ribbons on everything as if that is some REAL KINDA OF SHOW OF SUPPORT but each has absolutely NO WILL to stand up over here on safe soil and at least show to these kids a WILLINGNESS to stand with them as they gamble and sacrifice their lifes by us doing demonstrations in the streets all over this country and saying "NO MORE" to OPEC and shouting at our political joke of a Congress to get off their fat oil-refinery pandering oversight as*es and finally "DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT". That is a REAL MEANINGFUL show of true support for our troops, not some stupid piece of yellow plastic that just fades and weathers with time passing.

I thought I would never see the day where I would say this but just maybe we should completely open the boarders of this country to Mexico. Those folks across the boarder at least have some pride in their heritage and know how to stick together and fight for their life. Why? because they know what it means to be hungary for freedoms we take for granted and squander away. It would serve this country good to infuse our citizenship with theirs...at least we would then have some people who are tough enough to stand up and fight back against the OPEC pimps. Otherwise we might as well just hand it all over to OPEC and then walk away and say the last 250 years never happened or happened for absolutely nothing.... :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

The troops are not fighting for oil so I fail to see how not buying gas would show support for the troops. As to congress you are right in that they are a bunch of empty headed do nothings however most of them can't even control their bowels much less the price of oil. The price of oil as we see it now is due to increased demand worldwide and at home, speculating in the futures markets and the falling dollar. The fed could prop up the dollar by raising interest rates but then people would be pissed off about that plus the fact that the government doesn't want a strong dollar as it would make paying the interest on the national debt all but impossible. As to the oil companies, our domestic companies control such a small percentage of the worlds oil that they also have no real control over pricing. Also, the "huge and excessive" oil company profits everybody is always talking about actually amounted to about an 8.4% margin. Industry as a whole operates on average at about 7.8%. The oil companies profits are right in line with most other industries. The pharmaceutical industry has MUCH higher profit margins than the oil companies. Basically we here in America seem to believe that we have a god given right to limited natural resources and we are pissed because we are having to pay more for them and lashing out at anybody we can blame. Oil prices are high and they will stay that way. We just need to get used to it and adjust. No amount of screaming or protesting will change the situation. As far as opening up the borders, that just makes no sense at all.

Archived