TEAM SHELBY FORUM

18 inch Gun Metal Razor Pics

I just mounted the 18's with Goodyear Supercar 255/45/18's. Ive been looking for pics of 18's and one of my clients has them on a 05 GT and I decided to buy the 18's over the 20's because, Illinois has two seasons Winter and Road construction. Our roads can be very destructive on 20's and Ive seen it first hand so I setteled on these. Heres the pictures.

DSC00908.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

Thanks guys. Swedeman I understand what you are saying. Think about this though, If you track the car 18's are much better with tire options and 20's are just too heavy for anykind of racing. I do race the car and Daily drive it everywhere. Plus the razors beat the stock rims hands down in looks and contact patch when used with the same tire size.

Plus the razors beat the stock rims hands down in looks and contact patch when used with the same tire size.

I do not follow how the Razors would have a superior contact patch over stock when used with the same tire size. Granted, the Razors are 1/2 inch wider than stock but how does that change the contact patch? Believe me, I want you to be correct as I am going to 9.5" rims. Thanks. Jim

Nice ShowCar. I always thought I didn't care for Razors but after seeing your pics I believe it was just the low profiles on the 20 inchers I didn't like. The 18's with the meatier looking tires look great in my opinion. Beautiful! Now go clean that thing :hysterical:

Jim

Nice ShowCar. I always thought I didn't care for Razors but after seeing your pics I believe it was just the low profiles on the 20 inchers I didn't like. The 18's with the meatier looking tires look great in my opinion. Beautiful! Now go clean that thing :hysterical:

Jim

You know, that IS the difference. I did not realize how much more personality the wheels have in the 18" size. Things just look more proportionally correct. Jim

Showcar:

I really like the looks of the 18" wheels vs 20". Your car looks great with the 18" razors.

I am glad to finally see a picture of a car with that combination.

I have been debating on wheel sizes for some time now. I think you have help me out.

Thanks

Thanks again on the compliments guys. The best way to describe the contact patch is the wider the rim the more contact you have especially in the turns when only a small portion of tire is touching the ground. If that makes sense. If you mark your tire with shoe polish on the tread and sidewall and take a turn with two of the same tires but on different rims you will see what I mean. The stock brakes hold up well in light Autocross but not in 20 minute sessions. Im looking at Hawk Blues and EBC rotors. Im planning on leaving the stock calipers at this time. My 94 GT has 13 inch rotors off of a 03 cobra and holds up well on the road course even though it is much faster.(306 with 10lb. Votech S trim.)

DSC00841.jpg

Thanks again on the compliments guys. The best way to describe the contact patch is the wider the rim the more contact you have especially in the turns when only a small portion of tire is touching the ground. If that makes sense. If you mark your tire with shoe polish on the tread and sidewall and take a turn with two of the same tires but on different rims you will see what I mean. The stock brakes hold up well in light Autocross but not in 20 minute sessions. Im looking at Hawk Blues and EBC rotors. Im planning on leaving the stock calipers at this time. My 94 GT has 13 inch rotors off of a 03 cobra and holds up well on the road course even though it is much faster.(306 with 10lb. Votech S trim.)

DSC00841.jpg

Wow, a 20 minute autocross??? I think that's called a RACE. Where do you find those? I want to try one!!

Nice wheels ShowCar!! I am also one of those that really likes the taller sidewall look. To my eye, it somehow just fills up the wheel well better.

Will these rims work with the "big brake" kit, or do I still need to go to 20-incher's for that? Also, what was the Shelby part number....I'm thinking of making a call!

SEF

AKA:

Thanks guys. Swedeman I understand what you are saying. Think about this though, If you track the car 18's are much better with tire options and 20's are just too heavy for anykind of racing. I do race the car and Daily drive it everywhere. Plus the razors beat the stock rims hands down in looks and contact patch when used with the same tire size.

It is just a personal thing with the 20's. I thought if I was going to spend money I might as well go with the show looking wheel, i.e. 20" Razors. Now if I did not change I would have just stayed with the black 18" factory's. That is what makes the world go around, we all have what we want and pay to get it. Plus I don't track my car at this time, maybe later though. I like quick driving 1st, 2nd, 3rd and shut it down. Of course I speed shift all the way through too! :happy feet:

Actually its called High Speed Autocross. Theres only 2 cars on the track at a time and they are ay different ends of the track. You can reach some crazy speeds too.

Swede

I understand 20's for the bling got it.

It is just a personal thing with the 20's. I thought if I was going to spend money I might as well go with the show looking wheel, i.e. 20" Razors. Now if I did not change I would have just stayed with the black 18" factory's. That is what makes the world go around, we all have what we want and pay to get it. Plus I don't track my car at this time, maybe later though. I like quick driving 1st, 2nd, 3rd and shut it down. Of course I speed shift all the way through too! :happy feet:

Looks great! I don't get into how much of my tire hits the pavement, though I probably should. I think keeping an extra set of track wheels is the trick for me. Otherwise, I'm rockin' the 20's fool. :)

Archived