TEAM SHELBY FORUM

faux gas cap

dmagner1

Amy answered you in the thread you created in her area a few weeks ago.

Bud also posted a picture which is linked from that thread as well.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28574

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28136

Could someone please tell me what was said as I'm not a Team Shelby Paying Member yet and can't see the above links...I don't have PERMISSION!!!! Almost like being back in school...LOL

Could someone please tell me what was said as I'm not a Team Shelby Paying Member yet and can't see the above links...I don't have PERMISSION!!!! Almost like being back in school...LOL

May 20 2008, 12:11 PM by Amy.

On the water, should be here very soon.

May 14 2008, 03:17 PM by Bud

Hi all,

Here is a pic of the first pic of the reaf faux cap cover--also known as "THE BERG"!!!! I have also heard that SPP now has or will have very soon in stock. They are going to be updating their site which will show the cover. Also, the faux gas cap ring will also be coming soon. It is not ready yet for sale, but we will let you know as soon as it hits. So here ya go!!!!!!!!!!!

Bud

It would be a nice option if they made a cap available without the snake. I would like to eliminate the GT logo but don't like having a snake for the cap, JMO. Thanks

Having a cap with "Shelby GT", to me, makes no sense given S H E L B Y is right above.

There is a CS cap available from SPP.

These are the two caps available.

It would be a nice option if they made a cap available without the snake. I would like to eliminate the GT logo but don't like having a snake for the cap, JMO. Thanks

Instructions to make your own.

1. Find the images that have been posted of the candidate faux gas cap emblems. There is an image sheet somewhere on the forum with 8 of them pictured together.

2. Bring your favorite one up in Photoshop and crop it so the respective retangular cropping box just touch upto the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions of the emblem.

3. Then resize the image to a width and height of 2.87 inches each.

4. Print the emblem in color onto matte photo paper.

5. Cut the emblem out of the photo paper right upto to the outer emblem circumference.

6. Get the cut out emblem laminated using 5-gauge lamination.

7. Cut the emblem out of the laminated sheet.

8. Spray clear coat on both sides of the emblem and its edge. This will seal the edges of the laminated emblem now that you have cut the lamination around the emblem. Let it dry for about 4 hours.

9. Buy and attach 3 adjacent strips of 3M #33 double-backing grey colored adhesive with the red colored "pull-off" sticking protector.

10. Cut the 3M adhesive tape overhang from around the emblem edges.

11. Pull the red sticking protector off the back of the emblem and carefully attach over the stock "GT" emblem.

12. Using a small stiff model paint brush (1/8 to 1/4" wide) dip the brush tip in clear coat and apply it to the emblem edges. Do this 2 to 3 times. This step seals the laminate edge of the emblem again and seals it to the 3M backing as well.

14. Apply your favorite wax over the emblem and hand-towel buff lightly.

The entire process takes a total of 30 to 45 minutes to do (excluding waiting for the dipped emblem in clear coat to dry) and about $8.00 to make. In regards to clear-coating application you can skip step #8 but at a minimum step #12 must be done.

There will be no cap that will please everyone....

This cap is only another choice for those that want it.

A little history. Many of us SGT owners from the old forum believed that the SGT was a special car and one that deserved a special cap. Most of us that started this grassroot request agreed that the cap must be sanction by SAI and that it be exclusive to the SGT. Trying to get 300-3000+ members to agree to anything was next to impossible. I have little fight left in me to discuss snake/no snake/original/new designs. Unless you were there, you will never fully understand all the debates about such a simple thing. Just when someone came up with a good design, someone else would come up with a better one. Only to find out that the design for varies reasons would not be approved by SAI. Then new owners would come on with similar designs that were already turned down. It was an endless debate. It was a pure miracle that we agreed on a single design, let alone SAI agreeing to build them.

There is no wrong decision here...your current choices are.....

You have supercharge and non-supercharge non-snake options from SPP.

057-728_1.jpg

You have gas cap ring for existing GT cap, available from SPP.

00fd_1.jpg

There is a Tiff Snake available from Ford

CobraCap_003.jpg

And I know many of you will keep it original.

FR3-1020-05AA.jpg

But now we have one more choice. An exclusive gap cap, approved by SAI, using the new style snake..that Cobra DNA that is in all of Shelby's cars.

gcemblem.jpg

If you want to go down memory lane checking out past designs, or just see what other ideas that were past around. Here is a link to many of the designs that were submitted throughout the 9+ months of debates. Caps that did not make it

Or heck if you want to make your own....check out this eBay listing

eBay listing

125140431_o.jpg

There will be no cap that will please everyone....

This cap is only another choice for those that want it.

A little history. Many of us SGT owners from the old forum believed that the SGT was a special car and one that deserved a special cap. Most of us that started this grassroot request agreed that the cap must be sanction by SAI and that it be exclusive to the SGT. Trying to get 300-3000+ members to agree to anything was next to impossible. I have little fight left in me to discuss snake/no snake/original/new designs. Unless you were there, you will never fully understand all the debates about such a simple thing. Just when someone came up with a good design, someone else would come up with a better one. Only to find out that the design for varies reasons would not be approved by SAI. Then new owners would come on with similar designs that were already turned down. It was an endless debate. It was a pure miracle that we agreed on a single design, let alone SAI agreeing to build them.

But now we have one more choice. An exclusive gap cap, approved by SAI, using the new style snake..that Cobra DNA that is in all of Shelby's cars.

gcemblem.jpg

If you want to go down memory lane checking out past designs, or just see what other ideas that were past around. Here is a link to many of the designs that were submitted throughout the 9+ months of debates. Caps that did not make it

The single image sheet of 8 different caps you are showing in your "Caps that did not make it" post are the caps I was referring to. I made myself the cap with the silver race stripes on black background (no snake) with Shelby GT in white across the stripes and Shelby's signature across the bottom in white on the black background. It came out fantastic looking and it is the one I would have bought from Shelby had it been the one that CSA picked to be produced. It's a shame the eight on that image sheet were not all picked to be produced by CSA as they were all very good designs and would have allowed a variety of choices. As long as they were produced by Shelby who really cares as to any agreement as it provides a means for everyone to pick what they want on their SGT and yet still be "official" options.

As for the demon caps, only an absolute moronic evolutionary knuckle-dragging throwback idiot would put one of those tasteless demon caps on their Shelby.

As for the demon caps, only an absolute moronic evolutionary knuckle-dragging throwback idiot would put one of those tasteless demon caps on their Shelby.

We agree on something ShelbyKindaGuy. :hysterical2:

It's weird...all the caps have images are from hell :devil: and death :rip: ....and then you have the american flag. :headscratch:

There's hope left in this world yet!!! :hysterical:

It's weird...all the caps have images are from hell :devil: and death :rip: ....and then you have the american flag. :headscratch:

mmmmm.....seems to be a possible indication of what this country has become over the last 20 years or so. not surprising when one takes a good look around at all the kinds of violent and sadistic distractions we are unindated with 24x7....but that is a separate topic of discussion somewhere else and not for this thread....right?

Must be an Iranian company making those caps. After all America is the "Great Satan"

Must be an Iranian company making those caps. After all America is the "Great Satan"

AF, I can see your sense of humor is intact, "Great Satan"! Oh, and I am personally glad to see you finally are going with the 20's instead of the 18's! Yes my humor is still intact as well. :hysterical:

The new SPP catalog is out and the website has been updated. There isn't an image yet, but the caps are available at: http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...k%20Emblem.aspx

Matt

Are they actually shipping or are they just available to order and still on a waiting delay until they arrive at CSA for delivery to customer's in July?

Are they actually shipping or are they just available to order and still on a waiting delay until they arrive at CSA for delivery to customer's in July?

I spoke to Chris over at SPP this afternoon and he told me that mine would go out UPS 2 day soon. The individual Terlingua components won't be ready for another 60 days or so though.

I spoke to Chris over at SPP this afternoon and he told me that mine would go out UPS 2 day soon. The individual Terlingua components won't be ready for another 60 days or so though.

I also talked to Keith at SPP through email yesterday and he assures me that they have the emblem caps in stock. If you want to order one, have your CSM and VIN numbers handy. SAI and SPP want to ensure that these only go to actual SGT owners so they want to verify your car's numbers before sending it out. I'll post pictures of mine once I get the cap in and on.

Matt

What exactly are the "Terlingua components"?

Sorry, that's what I call them since they were used on the Terlingua (SPP and SAI probably call them something else). I'm talking about stuff like the black racing fuel door (actually minus the Terlingua rabbit) and the black quarter window covers (both with the steel rivets). You can see both in the Terlingua picutres in SAI's gallery - here's one showing both the fuel door and window covers: http://www.shelbyautos.com/galleries/TerGa...rGall13-800.jpg. I've been waiting for the non-Terlingua versions of this stuff to come out for a while.

Matt

The new SPP catalog is out and the website has been updated. There isn't an image yet, but the caps are available at: http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...k%20Emblem.aspx

Matt

I spoke to Brian at SPP today and he said the SGT caps came in today. One per car. I placed my order and hope to have it early next week. Dave

I was called 2 days ago and was told they are on 30-day back-order. How can they be in and shipping yet on 30-day back order????

oh no...here we go again..... :lurk:

I was called 2 days ago and was told they are on 30-day back-order. How can they be in and shipping yet on 30-day back order????

Brian said they had been telling customers a 30 day backorder because they we'ren't sure when they'd show up. As you know, give us a date and if they don't meet it, we get pissed off. When I called yesterday he said they had just come in and they were filling orders. Dave

Archived