TEAM SHELBY FORUM

390 Engine Block

69deluxe

A co-worker is selling a 390 engine block from a 1969 Ford Galaxie (2bbl, X-code). Engine casting date is 8K25 (November 25, 1968) Question: Is there any difference in a 390 block between a X-code galaxie and a true S-code mustang? My assumption is that the difference lies in the internals (cam, rods, intake, etc), but need verification.

This block was removed from the car, installed in a F-150 then removed and has been sitting for 6-7 years on a wooden palatte. Anything that I should be aware of before I agree to buy this? What should I look out for? Cost is $125 and includes heads, intake, and internals. No carburetor, bell housing, or flywheel. Seems like a fair price for a block that I'm sure will require a lot of work.

Any other thoughts?

I believe the block is the same. Not exactly sure on the internals. I remember reading a while ago about the bolt holes on the heads, where the exhaust manifolds go, were drilled differently. So, if you used a Galaxy exh manifold it would work, but may not fit in the engine compartment of a mustang. And if you used a mustang exhaust manifold, so that it fit under the hood, you would need to re-drill the mounting holes. Don't quote me on this, but that's what I remember.

This is a pretty cool forum - just deals with FE engine questions. They had to move earlier this summer because Ford confiscated the old forum name (because it was under the main site of "www.fomoco.com").

http://fomoco.phpbbnow.com/viewforum.php?f...9b3e5353a958b66

Good luck and let me know what you find out.

The 1968 390 and 390 GT only had a few differences:

- 390 GT had a unique intake

- 390 GT had a different cam

- 390 GT had cylinder heads that were drilled to accept 14 exhaust bolts per head. Some non-390 GT heads can be drilled and tapped, others cannot. Other than those 14 exhaust bolt holes, the 390 GT heads are identical to any other 390 head.

- The crank, rods and balancer are the same between the 390 and 390 GT.

more help here

I believe the block is the same. Not exactly sure on the internals. I remember reading a while ago about the bolt holes on the heads, where the exhaust manifolds go, were drilled differently. So, if you used a Galaxy exh manifold it would work, but may not fit in the engine compartment of a mustang. And if you used a mustang exhaust manifold, so that it fit under the hood, you would need to re-drill the mounting holes. Don't quote me on this, but that's what I remember.

This is a pretty cool forum - just deals with FE engine questions. They had to move earlier this summer because Ford confiscated the old forum name (because it was under the main site of "www.fomoco.com").

http://fomoco.phpbbnow.com/viewforum.php?f...9b3e5353a958b66

Good luck and let me know what you find out.

- 390 GT had cylinder heads that were drilled to accept 14 exhaust bolts per head. Some non-390 GT heads can be drilled and tapped, others cannot. Other than those 14 exhaust bolt holes, the 390 GT heads are identical to any other 390 head.

more help here

Thanks for the info guys! I picked up the motor this weekend and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Here's a before shot...dirty!

I was suprised to see that rinky-dink engine stand (from Jegs) actually held this beast...bumps and all during the trip home and it still stands tall.

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm finally getting around to this engine. Does anybody know how much HP this 390FE block can handle? To be honest I'm trying to decide if I actually want to rebuild this or get a crate engine for a AC cobra replica. I really would like an aluminum 427 sideoiler like this 427FE. :hyper: Any opinions?

more help here

Damn Robert! I continue to be impressed with your skills! My first car was a 67 GTA with a 390.

Archived