TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Real Cleaning

We are staying home this weekend for the holiday and I'm going to finally have some time to give the car a good cleaning.

I know there have been some recent posts on this topic, but I was looking for advice and tips on how to clean and what products to use for my first thorough wash, polish, and wax job.

Any tips on products I should buy would be appreciated too. I will either go with zaino or ICE for the polish/wax step.

I'll be heading to the auto store on saturday morning to pick up the products...

Should I clay bar the first time? I plan to do a wash and chamois. Then polish, then wax and use the finishing spray from mothers or similar.

I would recommend clay baring it, as the paint probably already has some crud built up on it. Mine did, and even though the paint was pretty smooth when I got it, I clay bared it and it was like glass afterwards. Quick detail the whole thing down after clay baring it to remove any clay residue and anything else that might have remained behind, then hit that baby with a coat or two of ICE! You will hear different people here using different waxes, all of them work great. It is more a matter of preference I believe. Some people say ICE goes on easy comes off easy, some say it doesn't, some prefer zaino, some don't like the long drying times for it. I like ICE because it goes on easy even in paste form for me, doesn't stain plastic and in fact works great for it, and comes off easier than any other paste wax I have used.

You probably don't need to use a polish on that paint already, chances are the clay bar will do exactly what you need. If you have any small hairline scratches or swirl marks then I would use the 3M scratch remover, which also works wonders for water spots. If you need to remove water spots from vinyl stripes, distilled white vinegar works well for light ones, but REALLY bad ones it doesn't remove completely. I have not tried the 3M on my vinyl stripes yet, so I cannot say if it is safe to use on them.

I would honestly pick up the following, it is what I use when I detail my car:

- Turtle Wax ICE car wash (very good lubricating properties to slide dirt off very well)

- Wax of your choice (ICE, Zaino, or Meguiars Gold Class in my opinion)

- Meguiars Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber Protectant (NO armor all!) works great on all the plastic, tires, and engine compartment hoses and plastic

- Meguiars Quick Detailer or ICE Quick Detailer (I prefer Meguiars or Adams, but you cant buy Adams in a store only online)

- Clay Bar kit from either Clay Magic, Mothers, or Meguiars

- Meguiars Gold Class Leather Conditioner or Zaino's Leather Conditioner (doesn't leave the seats and such feeling greasy, just soft and supple with a good dark color, not "wet" looking)

- Microfiber wash mitt/sponge (NOT the sheeps wool kind, they trap hard particulate too easy and are a bitch to clean)

- Waffle weave large drying towel, microfiber, for removing water FAST to avoid hard water spots

- The Absorber (I use this after the waffle weave to remove any remaining water and to sweep off any deposits from water that might have dried but not quite hardened yet)

- A variety of good quality microfiber towels and applicator pads. Try to get the tagless, soft edge kind if you can find them. If not, cut off the tags and wash them prior to use to soften the edges and reduce the chance of scratching.

- A nice, plush, super soft buffing towel. Autozone has some that look like bath towel material, but are SUPER soft and do not get tough after washing them numerous times. Almost silky feeling, and work GREAT for buffing the car out after waxing it, and also work great for hitting it with quick detail as they capture the dirt and keep it away from the paint.

I would avoid using any of the quick wheel cleaners, as some of them are pretty potent and can etch or leave white stains on your stock SVT wheels. I believe our wheels are coated, and so honestly I just spray them down with a little quick detail spray, and all that crummy brake dust just wipes right off. Meguiars quick detailer also works great as a window cleaner as I have found, leaving no residue behind, and no streaking, and also is great for wiping down the hot engine with a rag wet with the detail spray. When clay baring your car, if you have stripes, careful near the edges of it because the bar likes to get caught on it and leave behind bits of clay which you then have to remove with a soft plastic bristled brush. ICE wax works great on the vinyl stripes as well.

We are staying home this weekend for the holiday and I'm going to finally have some time to give the car a good cleaning.

I know there have been some recent posts on this topic, but I was looking for advice and tips on how to clean and what products to use for my first thorough wash, polish, and wax job.

Any tips on products I should buy would be appreciated too. I will either go with zaino or ICE for the polish/wax step.

I'll be heading to the auto store on saturday morning to pick up the products...

Should I clay bar the first time? I plan to do a wash and chamois. Then polish, then wax and use the finishing spray from mothers or similar.

Don't clay bar it if it doesn't need it. Go to the Adam's products website and watch the training videos.

Watch the videos.

Airborne

Don't clay bar it if it doesn't need it. Go to the Adam's products website and watch the training videos.

Watch the videos.

Airborne

Correct. Chances are though, if you have had the car for a couple months, and bought it from a dealer lot, unless they kept it in a show room or warehouse the entire time it was there, it will have contaminants on the paint. Do the ziplock trick and see if it needs clay baring.

Yeah, what he said.

What's the negative side of using a clay bar?

Negative side? Really nothing. If the paint doesn't need it then you waste time, hehe. The ziplock trick I picked up from a seminar Adams put on a while back I went to. After washing the car and getting it clean, you put your hand in a ziplock bag, and run your fingertips over the paint, if you feel like bumps and such and not smooth paint, it needs to be claybared.

Thanks CrQuarto and all for the replies! I'm expecting this is going to take up a good chunk of one of the days this weekend. Glad I have nothing planned! hehe.

Since I do have little going on this weekend (for once), I might clay bar just for the heck of it. It'll give me a chance to use the new tv i put in the garage.

I do agree with you...NO ARMOR ALL. Even if you first spray it onto a cloth and then apply it still leaves streak marks on the interior and makes it look discolored.

Just wish I would have ordered some of the products online sooner so they'd be here...for now I might have to settle for the in-store stuff.

Thanks again all!

Not only does armor all streak, it browns things, and has been known to dry out plastic of the oils that are in it.

Just remember when you are washing, leave the rocker panels and wheels for last because of dirt. Make sure you get all the way down to the bottom of the rocker panel, if not, you might leave dirt there and it could get into a microfiber towel or applicator pad and scratch your paint. :( I am going to do my roommates GT this weekend and I will post up some pictures.

Archived