TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roger, I love your fender stripes!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roger,

Silly question of the day...

Do they go on BOTH sides of the car, or just on the Driver's Side???

I don't recall, but since I am going to re-do mine I might as well make the Passenger Side at the same time... THANKS!

Gregg

07SGT0547

EDIT: Both sides have been re-done with the ends slightly rolled over the corners of the fender... Gives it a much nicer and finished look... Will post "outside" pics once I can get the car out in the sunshine again... THANKS Roger!!!

Looks great Gregg. As far as what side etc. The early FIA 289 Cobra's had the stripe running from fender to fender and over the hood. Most cars were just the left front fender. Some had both fenders. It became a personal preference for me and I did both sides.

Now that you have done this, get ready for all of the questions when you have the car at any event, including gas station fill ups and traffic lights :)

Looks great Gregg. As far as what side etc. The early FIA 289 Cobra's had the stripe running from fender to fender and over the hood. Most cars were just the left front fender. Some had both fenders. It became a personal preference for me and I did both sides.

Now that you have done this, get ready for all of the questions when you have the car at any event, including gas station fill ups and traffic lights :)

Since I also have the meatballs and sponsor stickers on BOTH sides, I decided to put the RED fender stripes on both as well... Balances things out just a little bit better...

post-8727-1211565177.jpg

post-8727-1211565235.jpg

Again, THANKS for the idea and the info :happy feet:

Gregg

07SGT0547

Greg / Roger

I really like the contrast of the red with the silver stripes on both of your cars. very cool.

I am leaning towards yellow on the Limer as my future plans call for a SS hood with Wimbelton white SS stripe. I am going to follow Roger's instruction and get my FIA stripes ordered from the sign shop today.

Thanks for the pics,

Michael

LL1.jpg

LL1.jpg

I got your PM, Roger. Thanks. I will work on this tomorrow and post pics.

Seems like there is a lot of interest in this. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", and all that!

:superhero:

Dan

Roger, I'm sorry, but I had to go out and try this on the 2008 SGT to see how it would look...I finally found a local place out here in the sandhills of West Texas that actually has vinyl tape on rolls and a laser cutter!!! He cut the stripes for me, 2" wide, 1" space between them and then put the protective cover over them so I could peel them from the backing and apply them to the car. The vinyl is satin silver to match the Shelby stripes...I probably didn't give it quite as much thought as you did, as I kinda eyeballed mine with the front edge of the hood scoop...they may not be perfect, but I don't figure anything on this car is totally perfect or on any other car for that fact...LOL

Here's a few pictures...I'll try to take some better ones after the stripes cure a little in the heat in the garage...100 degrees out here this week, shouldn't take long...

post-19184-1211496408.jpgpost-19184-1211496418.jpg

post-19184-1211496428.jpgpost-19184-1211496440.jpg

post-19184-1211496448.jpg

Wow,

The silver looks totally hot on the blue!

Roger, look what you started! thanks again for the help with mine. The guys at the unit have dubbed my car the hottest Car at NAB Coronado! The numbers are great too...

Wow,

The silver looks totally hot on the blue!

Roger, look what you started! thanks again for the help with mine. The guys at the unit have dubbed my car the hottest Car at NAB Coronado! The numbers are great too...

I think it looks GREAT! And this morning, we went to a small car show in Midland, TX., and got all kinds of ooohs and ahhhhs on the car today. There were also 2 Black 2007 SGT's there and they were both checking out my 2008...lots of comments on the rear spoiler, lower grille, and pit stripes today, and all were good.

Then the wife has this wild hair that she's thinking about trading her 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee in on a new Mustang GT, she's thinking about Vapor Silver with Blue Stripes...so, we stop in the local Ford dealer where we bought the SGT and take a look...Every salesman in the place came outside to check out the mods that I have made to the SGT and their comments were nothing but praise...

Yeah, I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

OK... I love the look! :happy feet:

What do you think of blue?

FIA01.jpg

You can see a different look depending on the angle of the sun.

FIA02.jpg

FIA03.jpg

I got (8) total blue and (8) total yellow at 18" x 2" for $20 from a local graffics shop. (JC GRAPHIX in Vacaville, Ca. www.jcgraphix.net )The kid told me I'd have to wait two weeks for an appointment. I bought the material and told him if I screwed it up, I would call...

Messed up the 1st one I tried, then used a LOT more water with 2 drops of dishsoap. Worked great.

A GREAT idea! :superhero:

Dan

OK... I love the look! :happy feet:

What do you think of blue?

FIA01.jpg

You can see a different look depending on the angle of the sun.

FIA02.jpg

FIA03.jpg

I got (8) total blue and (8) total yellow at 18" x 2" for $20 from a local graffics shop. (JC GRAPHIX in Vacaville, Ca. www.jcgraphix.net )The kid told me I'd have to wait two weeks for an appointment. I bought the material and told him if I screwed it up, I would call...

Messed up the 1st one I tried, then used a LOT more water with 2 drops of dishsoap. Worked great.

A GREAT idea! :superhero:

Dan

Looks good...of course, I like the Blue, I'm partial to Blue :-) I paid $10.00 for two pair of stripes...I messed up my right side as the angle was not right, so I took it off and re-did it to match the angle on the left side, and it look a lot better now...Tape is cheap! Wish I could make a living doing this kind of stuff, because I really do LOVE doing this kind of thing with cars...

Looks great Dan.

If that's what you like go with it. It is a little too subtle for me. The purpose of the stripes was quick identification. I like the yellow and red personally because it just "jumps out at you". But it looks great, especially if YOU like it! Yes the dish soap helps you to move the srtipe into position prior to adhearing to the fender.

One question, did you follow the hood scoop line or did you follow the leading front edge of the fender?

They really make a difference in appearance, don't they? Congrats.

Roger

Looks great Dan.

If that's what you like go with it. It is a little too subtle for me. The purpose of the stripes was quick identification. I like the yellow and red personally because it just "jumps out at you". But it looks great, especially if YOU like it! Yes the dish soap helps you to move the srtipe into position prior to adhearing to the fender.

One question, did you follow the hood scoop line or did you follow the leading front edge of the fender?

They really make a difference in appearance, don't they? Congrats.

Roger

They definitely make a difference!

I started following the fender line, but with the painters tape template, it seemed a little steep for me. I just eased it back a little. The drivers side is the 1st side I did and it is not perfect like the passenger side. I might just rip off the blue and try the yellow. I know that will be a LOT more noticable! If I don't like it, I do have some spare material, both yellow and blue. If I try the yellow, I'll post pics.

Thanks for the great idea! :superhero:

Dan

post-19390-1211777434.jpg

With the GT 500 spoiler and the numbers, what everyone notices and coments on are the red pit stripes! funny how such a little thing makes such a difference. I think I am going to do the right side tomorow in the name of good symetry!

Messing with graphics is alot of fun. So very simple with such a great response! It took me a week to paint and install my spoiler and people hardly notice it.

But so does this one...

post-8727-1211832128.jpg

Not to mention that it was on the record cover of "Hey Little Cobra"...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Are your door numbers magnetic or permanant mount? I know the one on the hood has to be permanant as it's aluminum and non-magnetic...

Any problems keeping them on at speed?

With the GT 500 spoiler and the numbers, what everyone notices and coments on are the red pit stripes! funny how such a little thing makes such a difference. I think I am going to do the right side tomorow in the name of good symetry!

Messing with graphics is alot of fun. So very simple with such a great response! It took me a week to paint and install my spoiler and people hardly notice it.

Ha Ha, I was watching Herbie the Love Bug today and noticed that his number is 53 too...I'll have to admit that your car did cross my mind when I noticed it...LOL Not that it's a bad thing to have the same number as Herbie, I just thought it was funny! You know I would never knock your car! Besides, Herbie was SPECIAL!

Are your door numbers magnetic or permanant mount? I know the one on the hood has to be permanant as it's aluminum and non-magnetic...

Any problems keeping them on at speed?

Mine are all "permanent" and are made out of the same 3M Vinyl as the Pit Stripes... However, they can easily be removed with a hair drier if I want or need to... But since I have my own vinyl cutting machine and plenty of extra material, then I can re-make them in about 20 minutes or so...

And I guess that in 10-15 years they will have left a "ghost" image in the paint... But by then I will probably need to re-paint the entire car anyhow with the way (and where) I drive it...

post-8727-1211851518.jpg

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

post-8727-1211851518.jpg

Another rookie? Adam is my hero!

Feedback and opinions please.

YES! That works! The yellow is perfect against that color, IMO.

I can't keep my hands off of mine...

FIA04.jpg

(Forgot to put the hood pin in before taking the picture)

FIA05.jpg

It's a little different. I might peel off the blue and make it totally yellow. I am going to my 1st show next weekend, and I am very excited about the response to the stripes.

Dan

Ha Ha, I was watching Herbie the Love Bug today and noticed that his number is 53 too...I'll have to admit that your car did cross my mind when I noticed it...LOL Not that it's a bad thing to have the same number as Herbie, I just thought it was funny! You know I would never knock your car! Besides, Herbie was SPECIAL!

My Room mate and a couple of his Marine buddies pointed this out last weekend! It is funny, but serendipitous since I loved Herbie when I was a Kid... My brother had a 73 bug and I made him crazy trying to talk him into making a Herbie.

FIA04.jpg

FIA05.jpg

It's a little different. I might peel off the blue and make it totally yellow. I am going to my 1st show next weekend, and I am very excited about the response to the stripes.

Dan

IMO, I like the yellow :rolleyes:

FIA04.jpg

FIA05.jpg

Dan

Personally, I like the blue on the Black...but then again, the Satin Silver looks good too like I put on mine...just do whatever it is that floats your boat and be happy...to heck with what everyone else thinks!!!

Sorry if this has already been covered but I scanned through the posts and didn't see it.

1) What does FIA stand for ?

2) Are you getting the stripes pre-cut to size or in bulk lengths and then trimming to fit ? Do you cut the vinyl whilke on the car in order to get the tape aligned with the hood and fender lines ?

Thanks, Don

Sorry if this has already been covered but I scanned through the posts and didn't see it.

1) What does FIA stand for ?

2) Are you getting the stripes pre-cut to size or in bulk lengths and then trimming to fit ? Do you cut the vinyl whilke on the car in order to get the tape aligned with the hood and fender lines ?

Thanks, Don

I bought the stripes at the noted graphics shop. (From earlier post) They cut them 18" x 2". You really only need about 16" long. I layed out 1" blue painters tape like Roger said. I originally mirrored the line from the angle of the fender at the headlights, but I thought that was a little steep, so I esed the angle back. Then you can lay the new stripe, adhesive side down alongside the painters tape to have it perfect. (Use lots of water with a couple drops of dish-soap) I let the hood-end overlap the closed hood, made the cut between the hood and fender, and rolled over fender edge. I believe Roger cut the bottom even with the wheel well, but I trimmed them about 3/16" and rolled them under. It is not a problem to remove; Just start peeling from the bottom...

FIA is french for Federation Internationale De L'Automobile

Dan

Another rookie? Adam is my hero!

Feedback and opinions please.

Mike, Looks fantastic. We can now call the car the "lemon/limer". It really was the right color to go with im my opinion. How about the comments you have received?

I like it. :speedie:

• 2 weeks later...

New color combo: red on blue. The Cobras did it, why not me? I went to a Fast Sign shop, and they at first quoted me a minimum $25 for vinyl purchase. When I explained that I only needed scraps, they computer cut me strips 1.5x14". I asked for four, but they gave me six (good thing, I screwed one up) and only charged me $5! There are hundreds of colors available, but they were out of the shade of red I liked best, so I went just a hair brighter. I used 1" painters tape as a middle guide line. Getting one side the way I wanted it was easy. Matching that exactly on the other side was a PITA. Applying the vinyl was easy, but take your time in working out the bubbles. The sign shop said to let it sit in the sun for a few days and the rest of the bubbles would work themselves out. Then wax, and it's good for several years. I thought of doing this to my GT a few years ago, but I had to see it on other cars before I tried it. Wife hates it, says it looks stupid. I remind her that it's not permanent.

post-12805-1213212654.jpg

post-12805-1213212654.jpg

Ok, I really worked with the stripes to get 95% of the tiny air bubbles out, and it's been sitting in the sun for two days, and I still have some. Will these eventually go away like the sign shop said they would, or am I stuck with them? Will popping them with a pin cause more problems than it solves? I just want them to look as good as the rest of the car, not like something added on, and get them waxed properly. The bubbles are too tiny to show up in a pic, but I know they're there and they bother me.

Archived