TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Exhaust Tips

Last weekend I put a set of Flowmaster Original 40s on my SGT. I know others have had their old chrome tips cut off and put on their new set up. I decided that in case I didn't like the 40s, I had the muffler shop remove my old mufflers intact. The shop didn't have any tips I liked so I wanted to know where I can get a replacement to match our original tips? I looked at the Shelby lettered tips at SPP, but the web site says they are for the Mustang GT or 500. Any help from the group would be appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

Last weekend I put a set of Flowmaster Original 40s on my SGT. I know others have had their old chrome tips cut off and put on their new set up. I decided that in case I didn't like the 40s, I had the muffler shop remove my old mufflers intact. The shop didn't have any tips I liked so I wanted to know where I can get a replacement to match our original tips? I looked at the Shelby lettered tips at SPP, but the web site says they are for the Mustang GT or 500. Any help from the group would be appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

By any chance, can you post a sound clip of the new 40's??

I looked at the Shelby lettered tips at SPP, but the web site says they are for the Mustang GT or 500. Any help from the group would be appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

Dave, no worries. I have the Shelby/SPP tips installed, and they are a tad larger OD than our stock SGT tips, but it's nothing any muffler monkey worth his banana can't handle.

They are longer, so, you might consider sticking them out an extra 1/2 inch or so, where the "Shelby" can be seen by your fans.

Dave, how do they sound compared to the stock SGT muffler?

Thanks John

They are a little deeper tone but not really as loud as I'd hoped. I originally listened to Dreamrides sound bite on his and I think his sound better, but maybe I'm not reving it up enough.

By any chance, can you post a sound clip of the new 40's??

I'll see what I can do. I can manage pictures okay but never tried sound. Any help from other members on how to do this would be appreciated.

Dave, no worries. I have the Shelby/SPP tips installed, and they are a tad larger OD than our stock SGT tips, but it's nothing any muffler monkey worth his banana can't handle.

They are longer, so, you might consider sticking them out an extra 1/2 inch or so, where the "Shelby" can be seen by your fans.

Thanks Mac, I ended up finding some Flowmaster tips that that'll work. 2.5" inlet, 4" outlet, 7.5 inches long for $53.00 each. http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products...roducts_id=3657

Dave

Glad you found some that would work Dave. Adam seems to be having issues with his Bissani axle back tips also. They are stainless but are discoloring. When he called Bissani they told him that because the tips are rolled edges the heat builds up and can cause discoloration.

I went with the Magnaflow system and the exhaust tips are almost an exact replica of the stock tips. They are also stainless but I do get some minor discoloration from the heat and need to clean them with Mother's aluminum polish. They clean up like new.

Roger

Glad you found some that would work Dave. Adam seems to be having issues with his Bissani axle back tips also. They are stainless but are discoloring. When he called Bissani they told him that because the tips are rolled edges the heat builds up and can cause discoloration.

I went with the Magnaflow system and the exhaust tips are almost an exact replica of the stock tips. They are also stainless but I do get some minor discoloration from the heat and need to clean them with Mother's aluminum polish. They clean up like new.

Roger

Pure true genuine stainless steel will discolor from heat. It turns a nice warm burnt orange. My headers turned overnight and I like the color.

However, as exhaust gasses flow to the tips, temps should be cool enough NOT to discolor the tips. My Shelby/SPP tips (also with a rolled edge) have not discolored and look brand new with just a wipe down.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I almost went with the Magnaflow tips but they were fairly expensive and I couldn't find any that weren't Magnaflow lettered. Hopefully the FM tips will look nice and with FM mufflers I figured I couldn't go wrong. I'll post up a picture as soon as I get them on.

Dave

Archived