TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SECURITY HELP FOR SHELBY

I have a serious question about security systems to reduce the risk of coming out of a building and not finding my Shelby. I am getting a little paranoid about leaving my car anywhere out of my sight. I plan on getting a LoJack in a week or two but do any of you have any other ideas or suggestions about disabling the car temporarily and easily? Like some sort of a switch with a key or hidden valve to shut off fuel?

I had a neighbor about 5 years ago who put something in his 427 cobra that cut off the power with a simple switch under his dash I believe.

I want something that is relatively simple but totally prevents the car from starting. Mayby a switch in the trunk? Are there any websites where I can research what options there are? I am sure those of us with exceptional rides have considered additional protection for our cars. Please let me know what you are doing to prevent or reduce the chance of theft.

I realize if someone really wants your car, its toast, but I'll feel way more comfortable if there is something I can do to minimize loss. It's no fun going places and worring about losing it. Yea, it can be replaced, but why should we have to go through that mess?

Thanks for you thoughts.

I realize if someone really wants your car, its toast, but I'll feel way more comfortable if there is something I can do to minimize loss.

You cannot prevent theft, only deter it. Persuade the thief to look elsewhere for a softer target. LoJack only brings it back.

After 30 years as a LEO, I don't have any suggestions for you. Nothing seems to work, other than parking inside a garage. This is a deterrent here in Illinois because Grand Theft-Auto is 3-5 years, and Residential Burglary is 15+.

How about leaving a couple or spent shotgun shells on the passenger seat when you get out. Make them think twice maybe?

Naw, that just tells them you got a shot gun. Then they'll break into your house to get the shot gun :banghead:

Jim

Naw, that just tells them you got a shot gun. Then they'll break into your house to get the shot gun :banghead:

Jim

Your right, they break in my house they are gonna get a shot gun.......shoved in their face.

You cannot prevent theft, only deter it. Persuade the thief to look elsewhere for a softer target. LoJack only brings it back.

After 30 years as a LEO, I don't have any suggestions for you. Nothing seems to work, other than parking inside a garage. This is a deterrent here in Illinois because Grand Theft-Auto is 3-5 years, and Residential Burglary is 15+.

As a retired LEO myself, I have to agree with LuLu on this one...I park mine in the garage every night, however, I also have the ability to confront anyone with a Smith & Wesson 10mm in one hand and a Glock 10mm in the other should they venture into spaces where they should not be...of course, here in Texas we have an old saying..."Anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning!"

here in Texas we have an old saying..."Anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning!"

Ahh yes, the "good old days", prior to the Supreme Court's decision in Tennessee v. Garner.

Not to turn this into a political discussion, but IMHO, America's law enforcement is in sad shape. Cops want to protect people and property, but the law doesn't allow them to do that.

I'm proud of my accomplishments and my career, but I'm glad I'm retired.

Carry on, gents...

Ahh yes, the "good old days", prior to the Supreme Court's decision in Tennessee v. Garner.

Not to turn this into a political discussion, but IMHO, America's law enforcement is in sad shape. Cops want to protect people and property, but the law doesn't allow them to do that.

I'm proud of my accomplishments and my career, but I'm glad I'm retired.

Carry on, gents...

Amen brother! It has changed over the years...recently, someone shot a side window out on my 96 GT in the driveway...I called the local P.D., they sent an officer out, and he handed me a piece of paper and told me to fill it out and send it in to the station for the report. I'm like, WTF? You guys too lazy to even write out a report now? I have to do my own report? Yeah, I'm glad that I'm out of it now...I'm proud of my accomplishments as well, and I know that I did a good job during my 30 year tenure and put a LOT of bad guys where they belong! Hope to meet you in person some day LuLu!

"Viva Terlingua", see you there?

BTW, I am quite jealous that it's in your back yard.

Never have been there! When is it? Send me a link with some info...I never really know what my schedule is for work since I have to travel quite a bit, but if I'm in town, I'm sure I could get a day or two off to make a trip!

Never have been there! When is it? Send me a link with some info...I never really know what my schedule is for work since I have to travel quite a bit, but if I'm in town, I'm sure I could get a day or two off to make a trip!

Well, looks like I won't be going to Terlingua even though it's only 265 miles from my house...seems it's only for Team Shelby Members according to Sharon...sorry, but couldn't afford to join Team Shelby right away, so I guess I'll have to pass this year...sure would be nice to go there though especially since Mr. Shelby is supposed to be there too...

I have a serious question about security systems to reduce the risk of coming out of a building and not finding my Shelby. I am getting a little paranoid about leaving my car anywhere out of my sight. I plan on getting a LoJack in a week or two but do any of you have any other ideas or suggestions about disabling the car temporarily and easily? Like some sort of a switch with a key or hidden valve to shut off fuel?

I had a neighbor about 5 years ago who put something in his 427 cobra that cut off the power with a simple switch under his dash I believe.

I want something that is relatively simple but totally prevents the car from starting. Mayby a switch in the trunk? Are there any websites where I can research what options there are? I am sure those of us with exceptional rides have considered additional protection for our cars. Please let me know what you are doing to prevent or reduce the chance of theft.

I realize if someone really wants your car, its toast, but I'll feel way more comfortable if there is something I can do to minimize loss. It's no fun going places and worring about losing it. Yea, it can be replaced, but why should we have to go through that mess?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Don't forget that we all have the Passive anti-theft system (PATS). Just in case anyone here is not sure how it works, there is a miniature transponder with an integrated circuit and antenna is embedded in the ignition key. A wireless radio-frequency transmission transfers an electronic code between the transponder in the key and the vehicle. If the code matches, a code programmed in the vehicle, a signal is sent through the wiring system to the electronic engine control, allowing the engine to start. There are 72 million-billion possible codes, so every Ford sold worldwide for the next 10 billion years could have unique codes.

The Lo Jack is a good idea. Recovering the car quickly is the key to getting it back.

Anything we do can be circumvented so the piece of mind you get from doing some thing else might be worth it.

Actually not all SGT's have the passive anti-theft system Mine has the active anti-theft system. I think the only difference is the motion sensors located inside the car on the active system. These go off even if the windows are rolled down and there is motion inside the car.

The best system for your car is a motion detector that runs to a battery backup with a LOUD speaker. Any satellite-based or other system dependent on a clear sky or one that relies on the battery under the hood alone is riskier.

The ONLY drawback to this system is if no one is in ear range of the alarm which I can't think of a place I would park my car where sound would not draw attention to it within a reasonable amount of time.

Your responses are much appreciated. Despite the fact that police officers are faced with (IMHO) outrageous and excessively restrictive laws which limit their ability to perform their sworn duties, I continue to hold them in high regard.

I don't plan on leaving my car in a high crime area but anything I can do to reduce the chance of theft wherever I go is worth while.

I am in S. California and I believe LoJack may be a good option. Has anyone had any experience with the Angel Mobil GPS system? Are there any other alarm systems worth looking at in terms of quality, reliability and cost?

Your help is appreciated.

they all have PATS its a chip in the key.. I choose to park in my garage, and when I am downtown Valet park is my first option.Other than that I do have a clifford alarm that lets me know up to a mile if it is going off and also lets me know which sensor has been tripped via key fob pager..but the best is ak2011.jpg

P1010024.jpg

guns.jpg

But seriously get a pager style alarm and be carefull where you park.. I know movie theaters are the #1 spot for car theft followed by shopping malls around here..

I LOVE your arsenal there!!!! Woo Hoo! Nothing like a well armed citizen I always say!

I've suggested Inilex as my preferred alternative to LoJack (you can search for it for several posts). But that's all it is, just a preference, I'm not preaching anything.

I work in information security, but the principles are the same. I'm always saying, "The best way to burglar-proof your house is to make it easier for the crook to rob your next-door-neighbor. If, for some reason, they want inside your house, there's always a way for them to get in."

So, garage, yes, anti-theft, yes, active tracking and recovery, yes.

Can they be defeated? Yes.

No. 4 Buckshot!

That, also, can be defeated.

BTW, I'm very much a gun advocate, own several, and have a carry permit.

However, that is not going to keep anybody from stealing my car, because the person doing the stealing is not going to know those things, and they're probably not going to try to steal it while I'm standing around anyway, whether or not I have a gun.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Try the No Start relay from Mobilistics.

http://www.mobilistics.com/No%20Start%20Home.html

I have used these since seeing them at SEMA about six years ago. They can be installed in a matter of seconds and are completely invisible and dependable. The cost is around $100. If you purchase a couple they can "key" the fobs alike so all vehicles in your stable will start with one fob.

MasterLock, the padlock folks also has a similar system for the same price. I do not know if it is a license from Mobilistics or a copy.

On my old 5 Spd Thunderbird SC, the clutch pedal had to be pressed in order to start the car. I put a paddle switch on the line to the and hid the switch - that way, if someone went to start the car, it would not start. All of the other power on the car stayed on of course. Minimal cost as all one needs is a switch, wires and joiners.

How about a battery disconnect?, they sell them at Auto Zone for a couple of bucks, or just unhook one battery cables when you put her to bed.

Archived