TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WATER IN THE HOOD?

I will look into this. I dont plan on driving the car in the rain, but in GA it could rain on a perfectly clear sky :hysterical:

I wouldnt think that it could rain hard enough to do anything to the CAI, but I dont know.

Will let yall know what I find out.

michael morris

I tend to wash my car real careful now not going anywhere near the Ram Air & Heat Extractors.

I'm sure though when the car is moving that even a heavy down-pour would allow very little water in. Drain holes would be a great asset though, but drilling holes in ones pride and joy isn't my favourite past time.

WELL CRAP---THE MAF LOOKS STAINED--WHICH IT WAS NOT WHEN I GOT THE CAR. TIME GOT AWAY FROM ME TODAY SO I PUT IT TO BED WITHOUT WASHING IT BUT WILL DO IT IN THE MORNING--US RETIRED GUYS CAN DO THAT ON MONDAY MORNING.

BOB

BOB IS IT TOO LATE TO BRING MY CAR OVER FOR YOU TO WASH?

YOU ARE A LONG WAY FROM ENGLAND BUT IT IS WORTH IT AS I DON'T LIKE WASHING MY CAR! ;)

I will look into this. I dont plan on driving the car in the rain, but in GA it could rain on a perfectly clear sky :hysterical:

I wouldnt think that it could rain hard enough to do anything to the CAI, but I dont know.

Will let yall know what I find out.

michael morris

It is not necessarily a matter of how hard it rains. Ford does extensive testing under speed and weather conditions on these cars but has not with the SS hood. You can be driving home from a show on a highway and it starts raining. If the rain is directed into the cold air it will get drawn into the engine? Will this cause a problem? With little (605HP + limited warranty) or no warranty (705HP = no warranty) I for one do not want to find out the hard way. This is a mojor concern for me and I believe all SS owners need to understand if this is an issue. This is not a criticism but a concern. If it is a problem it just needs to be addressed properly. If this testing has already been done and it passed then someone at SAI can tell us that it is not an issue and we can all rest on this with maybe only a need for drain holes for the water trapping issue.

It is not necessarily a matter of how hard it rains. Ford does extensive testing under speed and weather conditions on these cars but has not with the SS hood. You can be driving home from a show on a highway and it starts raining. If the rain is directed into the cold air it will get drawn into the engine? Will this cause a problem? With little (605HP + limited warranty) or no warranty (705HP = no warranty) I for one do not want to find out the hard way. This is a mojor concern for me and I believe all SS owners need to understand if this is an issue. This is not a criticism but a concern. If it is a problem it just needs to be addressed properly. If this testing has already been done and it passed then someone at SAI can tell us that it is not an issue and we can all rest on this with maybe only a need for drain holes for the water trapping issue.

+1 :superhero:

WELL CRAP---THE MAF LOOKS STAINED--WHICH IT WAS NOT WHEN I GOT THE CAR. TIME GOT AWAY FROM ME TODAY SO I PUT IT TO BED WITHOUT WASHING IT BUT WILL DO IT IN THE MORNING--US RETIRED GUYS CAN DO THAT ON MONDAY MORNING.

BOB

I USED THE CAR TODAY AND WASHED IT AVOIDING BUT NO COVERING THE VENTS AND SCOOPS. WHEN COMPLETELY DONE DRYING THE CAR I RAISED THE HOOD AND ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY THERE IS WATER BEING TRAPPED IN THAT HOOD SOME WHERE. WHEN I LIFT IT YOU CAN HEAR IT RUNNIBG AROUND. LEAVING IT SIT FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS I WENT BACK OUT AND THE WATER SOUND IS GONE. MY GUESS IS THAT IT EVAPORATED FOR THE HEAT OF THE ENGINE.

SO NOW WHAT. WHAT IF A SS WAS TO GET CAUGHT IN AN UNEXPECTED DOWN POUR AND WHERE EVER THIS WATER IS POOLING STARTS TO OVERFLOW INTO THE MAF? COULD THE HEAT OF A HOT ENGINE CAUSE THE WATER TO BOIL?

BOB

I USED THE CAR TODAY AND WASHED IT AVOIDING BUT NO COVERING THE VENTS AND SCOOPS. WHEN COMPLETELY DONE DRYING THE CAR I RAISED THE HOOD AND ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY THERE IS WATER BEING TRAPPED IN THAT HOOD SOME WHERE. WHEN I LIFT IT YOU CAN HEAR IT RUNNIBG AROUND. LEAVING IT SIT FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS I WENT BACK OUT AND THE WATER SOUND IS GONE. MY GUESS IS THAT IT EVAPORATED FOR THE HEAT OF THE ENGINE.

SO NOW WHAT. WHAT IF A SS WAS TO GET CAUGHT IN AN UNEXPECTED DOWN POUR AND WHERE EVER THIS WATER IS POOLING STARTS TO OVERFLOW INTO THE MAF? COULD THE HEAT OF A HOT ENGINE CAUSE THE WATER TO BOIL?

BOB

THEN BOB YOU CAN MAKE YOURSELF A GOOD CUP OF TEA..... :)

• 3 months later...

Archived