TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WATER IN THE HOOD?

HI GUYS---I GOT MY CAR BACK LAST NIGHT FROM VEGAS AND SUPER SNAKE #50 IS NOW ROAMING THE ROADS OF COLORADO. AFTER BEING OUT TODAY FOR A DRIVE I WASHED IT WHEN I GOT HOME. AFTER COMPLETELY WIPING IT DRY I RAISED THE HOOD TO WIPE OFF ANY WATER THAT GOT ON THAT BEAUTIFUL CHROMED BLOWER---AND HEARD WATER SLOSHING AROUND IN THE HOOD. I RAISED IT AND LOWERED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND THERE IS WATER IN THERE SOME WHERE. I WASHED IT ON THE APRON OF THE GARAGE DRIVEWAY SO THE NOSE OF THE CAR WAS ON A SLIGHT INCLINE. I'LL BACK IT OUT TOMORROW AND REVERSE THE INCLINE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS----ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS HAPPEN??

THANKS---I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE ATTENTION THIS CAR GETS. ONE GUY OFFERED TO PAY ME $10 TO LOOK UNDER THE HOOD. EVERYBODY--AND I MEAN EVERYBODY---WANTS TO TAKE PICTURES.

BOB

HI GUYS---I GOT MY CAR BACK LAST NIGHT FROM VEGAS AND SUPER SNAKE #50 IS NOW ROAMING THE ROADS OF COLORADO. AFTER BEING OUT TODAY FOR A DRIVE I WASHED IT WHEN I GOT HOME. AFTER COMPLETELY WIPING IT DRY I RAISED THE HOOD TO WIPE OFF ANY WATER THAT GOT ON THAT BEAUTIFUL CHROMED BLOWER---AND HEARD WATER SLOSHING AROUND IN THE HOOD. I RAISED IT AND LOWERED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND THERE IS WATER IN THERE SOME WHERE. I WASHED IT ON THE APRON OF THE GARAGE DRIVEWAY SO THE NOSE OF THE CAR WAS ON A SLIGHT INCLINE. I'LL BACK IT OUT TOMORROW AND REVERSE THE INCLINE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS----ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS HAPPEN??

THANKS---I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE ATTENTION THIS CAR GETS. ONE GUY OFFERED TO PAY ME $10 TO LOOK UNDER THE HOOD. EVERYBODY--AND I MEAN EVERYBODY---WANTS TO TAKE PICTURES.

BOB

HOW ABOUT SOME PICTURES!!!

FIRST CONGRATS ON GETTING #50 HOME. I HAVE WASHED MY CAR A FEW TIMES AND HAVE NOT HAD THIS PROBLEM, BUT IT WAS ALWAYS ON LEVEL GROUND.

HOW DO YOU LIKE THE WAY SHE DRIVES. NUFF POWER FOR YOU!!!

michael morris

Congratulations on getting #50 home and may you have many, many, years of good health and enjoyment owning and driving it.

As for the water in the hood issue, I will sometimes wash my car twice a week, and I have never had any issue with water intrusion or accumulation within the hood.

HOW ABOUT SOME PICTURES!!!

FIRST CONGRATS ON GETTING #50 HOME. I HAVE WASHED MY CAR A FEW TIMES AND HAVE NOT HAD THIS PROBLEM, BUT IT WAS ALWAYS ON LEVEL GROUND.

HOW DO YOU LIKE THE WAY SHE DRIVES. NUFF POWER FOR YOU!!!

michael morris

HI MICHAEL---I KNEW YOU WOULD BE THE FIRST TO REPLY.---YEA IT'S ENOUGH POWER. DOES YOURS SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE A CANARY UNDER THE HOOD WHO'S GOT A JOCK STRAP ON THAT'S TO TIGHT? ALMOST A WHISLE. TAKES SOME GETTING USED TO. WHAT'S WORRYING ME THE MOST IS THAT FRONT END---BOY IT'S LOW. I KNOW YOU PASSED ON THE CHROMED BLOWER BUT BOY DOES IT LOOK GOOD. I TRY POSTING SOME PICTURES. I HAVE NOT DONE THAT BEFORE SO IT WILL PROBABLY TAKE ME A WHILE.

BOB

HI MICHAEL---I KNEW YOU WOULD BE THE FIRST TO REPLY.---YEA IT'S ENOUGH POWER. DOES YOURS SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE A CANARY UNDER THE HOOD WHO'S GOT A JOCK STRAP ON THAT'S TO TIGHT? ALMOST A WHISLE. TAKES SOME GETTING USED TO. WHAT'S WORRYING ME THE MOST IS THAT FRONT END---BOY IT'S LOW. I KNOW YOU PASSED ON THE CHROMED BLOWER BUT BOY DOES IT LOOK GOOD. I TRY POSTING SOME PICTURES. I HAVE NOT DONE THAT BEFORE SO IT WILL PROBABLY TAKE ME A WHILE.

BOB

CONGRATS ON GETTING YOUR CAR DONE, MANY ARE ENVIOUS. ALWAYS NICE TO SEE NEW PICTURES.

I GUESS YOU NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THE WATER IS GETTING IN, SO YOU CAN BLOCK THE OPENING WITH A RAG NEXT TIME. MY OLD MOTORCYCLES WERE LIKE THAT. I NEEDED TO BAG THE K&N AIR FILTERS AND SUCH, OR I COULD NEVER GET IT STARTED.

BOB

ON THE WAY TO FL WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR BACK I THOUGH I HEARD A "CHIRPING". I FELT LIKE I SUCKED A BUTTERFLY THRU THE HOOD AND ONTO THE AIR CLEANER AND IT WAS CHIRPING BECAUSE OF THAT. I DONT KNOW IF ITS EVEN POSSIBLE FOR IT TO HAPPEN, BUT THATS WHAT IT SOUNDED LIKE. THE FILTER MAKES NOISE TO ME, BUT I LOVE THE NOISE IT MAKES!!! IF YOU WANT TO EMAIL ME YOUR PICTURES I WILL POST THEM FOR YOU. IF YOU NEED MY EMAIL SEND ME A PM.

michael morris

ON THE WAY TO FL WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR BACK I THOUGH I HEARD A "CHIRPING". I FELT LIKE I SUCKED A BUTTERFLY THRU THE HOOD AND ONTO THE AIR CLEANER AND IT WAS CHIRPING BECAUSE OF THAT. I DONT KNOW IF ITS EVEN POSSIBLE FOR IT TO HAPPEN, BUT THATS WHAT IT SOUNDED LIKE. THE FILTER MAKES NOISE TO ME, BUT I LOVE THE NOISE IT MAKES!!! IF YOU WANT TO EMAIL ME YOUR PICTURES I WILL POST THEM FOR YOU. IF YOU NEED MY EMAIL SEND ME A PM.

michael morris

YOU MADE A BUTTERFLY CRY?? :cry:

BOB

Congratulations on #50 Bob!!. I do not have an SS but I did purchase the SS hood for my 07. During the wet sanding process my paint and body guy discovered water in the hood as you describe. Prior to finishing the paint, stripes and fitment, he drilled two very small drain holes in each corner near the rear of the hood. When the hood is raised, any water will discreetly drain out. The holes are not visble at all from any normal angle that you would be looking at. Hope this helps. Have fun and be safe!!

BOB

Congrats Bob on #50. Enjoy the beast. About the canary with the tight jock strap, plant the pedal and it tightens up even more. Cold air induction and twin screw blowers generate some whistle and screaming. It's a good thing.

What is your feeling on the exhaust? I plan on ripping mine out like MM and others have done.

BOB

WELL--THE WATER IS GONE BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHERE--MAYBE IT EVAPORATED. GOING TO A CAR SHOW TOMORROW IN BOULDER AND WILL WASH IT WHEN I GET BACK AND SEE IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN.

BOB

WELL--THE WATER IS GONE BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHERE--MAYBE IT EVAPORATED. GOING TO A CAR SHOW TOMORROW IN BOULDER AND WILL WASH IT WHEN I GET BACK AND SEE IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN.

BOB

Is there any chance the water can get into the air intake filter?

Is there any chance the water can get into the air intake filter?

Yes, absolutely. If you spray water directly into the air intake ports, water will make it's way down to the air cleaner.

They need a drain for when you open the hood. I noticed this on the car I built for the Movie, probably a good gallon of water in there. Two small holes near the hinges should fix it. If you let the water hang out in there it could delaminate the fiberglass after some time.

I agree this can cause serious issues if you're driving in heavy rain. Wonder if the KR hood is designed differently than the SS and avoids this problem altogether????

Michael M, you seemed to be plugged in at SAI. Can you find out for all of us what the scoop (no punn intended) at SAI is regarding this subject and whether a fix will be presented soon. My car is already at TASCA (build #4) scheduled to be built any time now

Best

KK

I agree this can cause serious issues if you're driving in heavy rain. Wonder if the KR hood is designed differently than the SS and avoids this problem altogether????

Michael M, you seemed to be plugged in at SAI. Can you find out for all of us what the scoop (no punn intended) at SAI is regarding this subject and whether a fix will be presented soon. My car is already at TASCA (build #4) scheduled to be built any time now

Best

KK

Congrats...When do you expect to have your car done.....Did you speak to Dennis.....

Best

KK

underside of the KR hood

http://www.themustangnews.com/photos_08/ca...8/cov-08kr6.jpg

Yes, absolutely. If you spray water directly into the air intake ports, water will make it's way down to the air cleaner.

I spoke with Ford Performance regarding the cold air intake on the GT500. Their response was that "it has been fully tested with the stock GT500 hood and rain water will not cause a problem, however they have done NO TESTING with the SS hood. We should speak with SAI on what testing they did with that hood since rain water flowing onto the cold air intake could be a problem and is one of the reasons they did extensive testing with the cold air before releasing it". No disrespect to SAI here and I am posting this question because the answer to it is important to all SS owners. Can these cars be safely driven in the rain? Do we need to worry about water getting into the engine by way of the SS hood directing water into the cold air intake and causing damage to the motor? This is a very big concern for me.

BOB

I TOOK THE CAR OUT TODAY TO A CAR SHOW IN BOULDER COLORAD. PUT ABOUT200 MILES ON IT SO WHEN I GOT IT HOME I WASHED IT AGAIN ONLY THIS TIME I MADE AN EFFORT TO NOT SPRAY INTO THE SCOOPS OR HEAT EXTRACTORS. WHEN FINISHED I RAISED THE HOOD AND THE SOUND OF WATER WAS STILL THERE -BUT- IT WAS LESS THAN YESTERDAY WHEN I JUST SPRAYED AWAY. I'M GOING TO DO IT AGAIN TOMORROW AND WASH IT LIKE I DID THE FIRST TIME AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS AND WILL TRY AND SEE IF THE MAF IS WET.

BOB

The SS hood is a great looking hood. The vendor that manufactured the hood apparently never took in consideration any water issues. My friend that did the body work on my hood stated that this hood would indeed trap water. He drilled holes at the rear corners to allow the water to drain. I myself would not drive a SS in the rain. This hood would dump most of the water right into the open air filter. Cold water against the hot wire on the MAF sensor could create concerns. Possible engine damage ??

The SS hood is a great looking hood. The vendor that manufactured the hood apparently never took in consideration any water issues. My friend that did the body work on my hood stated that this hood would indeed trap water. He drilled holes at the rear corners to allow the water to drain. I myself would not drive a SS in the rain. This hood would dump most of the water right into the open air filter. Cold water against the hot wire on the MAF sensor could create concerns. Possible engine damage ??

I never take my GT500 (soon to be an SS) out in the rain BUT I have been caught in the rain while taking trips many times. So if we are caught in the rain we will damage our cars? We really need an official statement on this topic.

I never take my GT500 (soon to be an SS) out in the rain BUT I have been caught in the rain while taking trips many times. So if we are caught in the rain we will damage our cars? We really need an official statement on this topic.

I wrote to "Bud" on this one back in mid April, this is what I wrote:

Hello Bud,

I have since had my hood painted & installed and yes I do have a CAI

and yes this is the correct piece pictured?

How do I get one, how are they attached and I do hope it's a cost

effective fix?

Another question whilst I have your attention, what does Shelby

recommend to fix the problem of water inside the hood?

Sincerely Andrew

Here is the reply:

Hi Andrew,

I could ship one to you. I would need your address. We rivet them onto the hood. You would need to drill the holes out first.

As for water, no idea. We have not heard of anything like that as of yet.

Bud

As for the restrictor plate, I just tossed it in the garbage where it belongs. What an insult that piece is, especially as it was not included in the original delivery.

Gentlemen, if this hood doesn't have the water problems and also passed testing frm Ford for use with the cold air it should be considered as a solution to the water problems even if it means paying a premium. I would gladly pay a premium to not worry about driving the car and getting caught in the rain.

I TOOK THE CAR OUT TODAY TO A CAR SHOW IN BOULDER COLORAD. PUT ABOUT200 MILES ON IT SO WHEN I GOT IT HOME I WASHED IT AGAIN ONLY THIS TIME I MADE AN EFFORT TO NOT SPRAY INTO THE SCOOPS OR HEAT EXTRACTORS. WHEN FINISHED I RAISED THE HOOD AND THE SOUND OF WATER WAS STILL THERE -BUT- IT WAS LESS THAN YESTERDAY WHEN I JUST SPRAYED AWAY. I'M GOING TO DO IT AGAIN TOMORROW AND WASH IT LIKE I DID THE FIRST TIME AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS AND WILL TRY AND SEE IF THE MAF IS WET.

BOB

WELL CRAP---THE MAF LOOKS STAINED--WHICH IT WAS NOT WHEN I GOT THE CAR. TIME GOT AWAY FROM ME TODAY SO I PUT IT TO BED WITHOUT WASHING IT BUT WILL DO IT IN THE MORNING--US RETIRED GUYS CAN DO THAT ON MONDAY MORNING.

BOB

I will look into this. I dont plan on driving the car in the rain, but in GA it could rain on a perfectly clear sky :hysterical:

I wouldnt think that it could rain hard enough to do anything to the CAI, but I dont know.

Will let yall know what I find out.

michael morris

Archived