TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas Mileage

ShelbyEra08

I been seriously looking into getting a Shelby Vert. But now I am been debating about it due to the high gas prices. Its $3.75 where I live right now, and probably be $3.85 by the weekend. I need something better than what my truck is getting like 12-14MPG, but i still need my truck with hauling and winters.

I know the Pricing Sheets on Shelby says 14-street/20-highway. Have you guys done anything to your Shelby to get the MPG higher?

Like I said I dont know what to do, I am also looking into a Mitsu Lancer Evo, which is a 5 speed manual and gets 23 MPG for the street.

I still want a "fun" car like a Evo or a Shelby, but I aint going to drive the balls out of it the whole time.

Prius are out of the question :hysterical:

I been seriously looking into getting a Shelby Vert. But now I am been debating about it due to the high gas prices. Its $3.75 where I live right now, and probably be $3.85 by the weekend. I need something better than what my truck is getting like 12-14MPG, but i still need my truck with hauling and winters.

I know the Pricing Sheets on Shelby says 14-street/20-highway. Have you guys done anything to your Shelby to get the MPG higher?

Like I said I dont know what to do, I am also looking into a Mitsu Lancer Evo, which is a 5 speed manual and gets 23 MPG for the street.

I still want a "fun" car like a Evo or a Shelby, but I aint going to drive the balls out of it the whole time.

I would recommend that you check into the Evo's insurance premiums before you pull the trigger because I was told that they are insanely high.

The main I would like a Vert is for the summers, and also to pick up the LADIES :happy feet:

I just wanted to know if yall did anything to the performance to get better MPG: Computer upgrade, exhaust system, headers, etc.....

I am not going to get the Evo or Shelby or another car just yet, was thinking might get something before Summer 2009, to see if prices will come down on the cars.

I was really surprised on the weekend on our first decent road trip, to find that over a 4 hour period we averaged about 24mpg on highway driving. This was way over what I expected but a very pleasant surprise.

I must admit I was taking it pretty easy sitting on about 70 -75 mph. (Police were everywhere). I am pretty sure that diminishing returns are available relative to right foot positioning. LOL

How many miles a year will you be driving it?

EDIT: The 14/20 are pretty accurate. I have found that the on-board computer reads about 10% high.

I dont know, looking into a new job, right now I drive about 100-150 miles a week.

Figuring about 7000 mi/year at 15 mpg (I'm assuming city driving) and $4/gal for high octane - $1866/year

Figuring about 7000 mi/year at 22 mpg (again city driving) and $3.70 gal for regular - $1177 year

about $58/month more to drive the GT500 7000 mi/year. Worth it?

Figuring about 7000 mi/year at 15 mpg (I'm assuming city driving) and $4/gal for high octane - $1866/year

Figuring about 7000 mi/year at 22 mpg (again city driving) and $3.70 gal for regular - $1177 year

about $58/month more to drive the GT500 7000 mi/year. Worth it?

Good numbers, but like i said the mustang would mostly be for the spring/summer, so the miles probably be half that, but I still got to do some more figuring, thanks for the help.

I would appreciate more if yall have more insight.

The factory tune calls for a 12.2 AF ratio on criuse (why) and we tuned it closer to the 14.7 with conservative timing with noticibly better mileage

I averaged 17.9 over 6000 miles last year (includes 1/2 rush hour city daily and 6 passes at the track and many many street beats)

Hoping for over 20 mpg this year

My Shelby GT is averaging 19 city, 27 to 28 highway - if you want a Shelby w/ good fuel mileage, this is the choice.

My '08 Civic gets 27 city, 36 highway - that's our commuter car and my "Shelby-saver" (esp. in winter).

My '06 Expedition gets 12 city, 19 highway - our former commuter car. The difference in mileage between this and the Civic's already offsets a large portion of the Civic's monthly lease.

Here Ellie, I got a suggestion for you that ties into your 'business plan' post, it won't improve your mpg but it will difer the cost of a lot of things in life.

Open your speed shop and incorporate it, then title your GT500 vert to your company. Get some company gas cards, a couple for you, one for the wife, one for each kid (if you have a family?) and get at least some of the gas tax back from Uncle Sam. A company credit card (only for you, don't put one in your wife or kids hands) is a good way to difer some of your living expenses and it's all pre-tax and not taxed (payroll and income) personal income that you'll be spending.

Play it smart and leverage the tax code to your advantage, being a small business owner is one way to do it.

DUDE, an EVO :blink: You should be ashamed for even mentioning it here... :doh:

I drove my GT 500 from the dealer (1700 miles) at around 75 the whole way and the highest I got was 19 mpg. I was not impressed. My 89 gets 16/24 mpg with a 400 hp 331. No, I didn't buy it for economy, however, the window sticker says 20. I have yet to see it.

Obviously, the better the volumetric efficiency of the engine the better the economy, but the factory tune would also need to go to be able to use the VE that the 5.4 might have. It would seem that a CAI, headers, exhaust, and a corrected fuel curve would increase mpg by 3+ mpg. It's been said that the factory intake and exhaust systems have gotten better and that changing them out is negligible. So, it might be just as simple as correcting the fuel curve and the extra 2+ mpg would show.

Just thinking at loud...

Saleen 89-215

That depends... if your commuting in 5th gear at 2500 RPM, on the highway the Shelby GT is not too bad on gas.

On the other hand, driving around town in stop and go traffic it'll drink it up... the fix for that is smile on your face after you kick out the rear end in 2nd (with the traction control on).

I drove my GT 500 from the dealer (1700 miles) at around 75 the whole way and the highest I got was 19 mpg. I was not impressed. My 89 gets 16/24 mpg with a 400 hp 331. No, I didn't buy it for economy, however, the window sticker says 20. I have yet to see it.

Obviously, the better the volumetric efficiency of the engine the better the economy, but the factory tune would also need to go to be able to use the VE that the 5.4 might have. It would seem that a CAI, headers, exhaust, and a corrected fuel curve would increase mpg by 3+ mpg. It's been said that the factory intake and exhaust systems have gotten better and that changing them out is negligible. So, it might be just as simple as correcting the fuel curve and the extra 2+ mpg would show.

Just thinking at loud...

Saleen 89-215

Are they still pumping the winter blend fuel there? That makes quite a difference. I think they are running it out of the tanks about now here in Colorado.

You answered your own question - 20 mpg is based on nothing but highway, 55 to 60 mph. You drove 75 mph and got 19 mpg. I think if you drove 60 mph the whole way you'd see at least 20 mpg and most likely better than that. But - who wants to do that????

edit - my '06 Expedition w/ the 5.4L gets 20 mpg + on the highway (a flat, level one) at 60 - 65 mph - of course, its only 300 hp but it does carry a lot of weight!

We got our Shelby as second car, we have 4 actually that we drive, but the insurance is only 500/year if we keep the mileage to around 1000/year, which we will as it is a conv. Our other rides are late 80's and early 90's vintage.

You answered your own question - 20 mpg is based on nothing but highway, 55 to 60 mph. You drove 75 mph and got 19 mpg. I think if you drove 60 mph the whole way you'd see at least 20 mpg and most likely better than that. But - who wants to do that????

edit - my '06 Expedition w/ the 5.4L gets 20 mpg + on the highway (a flat, level one) at 60 - 65 mph - of course, its only 300 hp but it does carry a lot of weight!

at 67-69 mph in 6th i am showing 20-23 most of the time and,i now have 1600 miles on it

the other day with a little wind to my back it showed 27-28 at 67-69 mph and i reset the display 5 times and it

still read the same

and it also depends on your gas on the alcohol content

..... Have you guys done anything to your Shelby to get the MPG higher?

I travel highway most of my time in the Shelby. I have been keeping close watch on the MPG at the various steady speeds. The following are the average MPG using cruise control at the following speeds with a 93 Octane custom tune.

55-60 MPH - 27.5 MPG

65 MPH - 26 MPG

70 MPH - 24.5 MPG

75 MPH - 22.5 MPG

80 MPH - 21 MPG

I actually had one instance of a trip of 160 miles using 94 Octane Sunoco going 65 MPH the entire way on crusie control and used only 5 gallon which put it at 30 MPG. Everytime I use 94 Octane I see a definite MPG increase above what my posted figures are.

I travel highway most of my time in the Shelby. I have been keeping close watch on the MPG at the various steady speeds. The following are the average MPG using cruise control at the following speeds with a 93 Octane custom tune.

55-60 MPH - 27.5 MPG

65 MPH - 26 MPG

70 MPH - 24.5 MPG

75 MPH - 22.5 MPG

80 MPH - 21 MPG

I actually had one instance of a trip of 160 miles using 94 Octane Sunoco going 65 MPH the entire way on crusie control and used only 5 gallon which put it at 30 MPG. Everytime I use 94 Octane I see a definite MPG increase above what my posted figures are.

New personal gas mileage record for my Shelby GT.....28 MPG as read off the ECU, 120 highway miles at 70 MPH with cruise control using Sunoco 93.

I got me an 06 Mustang Vert (V6) as a daily driver, and for the summertime beach cruizin... 26 MPG highway and about 21 in town. She still has performance and the ladies love it. Also it keeps the mileage down on my SGT...

Personally I wouldn't buy a japanese car if you held a gun to my head! gas prices be damned...

FINE!! I wont get a Japenese Car :hysterical: .

I'll get a Shelby..................SCREW THE GAS PRICES, IT WILL BE like $5.00 a gallon in the future anyway :hysterical:

I have a Toyota Tundra as well as a Lexus. I like my rice.

I get 18.5mpg with my cruise control set at 85mph. I get about 12mpg in the city. <--with the GT500's.

I'll get a Shelby..................SCREW THE GAS PRICES, IT WILL BE like $5.00 a gallon in the future anyway :hysterical:

Shelby Dodges with wideband sensors and everything else running right get 35-37 MPG. With boost you get an open loop fuel curve that doesn't change, then at cruize you send a different signal to the engine computer with the wideband telling it that it is running richer. Then the computer hunts for 16:1 AF at cruize. My GLHS runs a 3 bar with a setting of 21 PSI of boost and 72 lb injectors, I don't think you have to drive a POS rice burner to make power and mileage. Last but not least for guys only driving the new stuff what about a Challenger? My friends MLS 300C gets 33 MPG on the 2 lanes running 65 and 30 MPG running 80 with the 340 HP Hemi. The new Challenger gets a 6 speed, 3.71 gears and the new 375 HP Hemi that gets 4% better mileage than the last one. The Challenger also weighs 500 lbs less than a 300C. Those running a SC on the Mustang can try running the wideband like the Shelby Dodges, as your engine gets a boosted fuel curve. The engine runs the 16:1 only at cruize and light throttle. Under any real load the boost hits and more fuel comes in. But come on, a 84 Shelby Charger was rated at 41 MPG highway. I don't think you need to go ricing

Shelby Dodges with wideband sensors and everything else running right get 35-37 MPG. With boost you get an open loop fuel curve that doesn't change, then at cruize you send a different signal to the engine computer with the wideband telling it that it is running richer. Then the computer hunts for 16:1 AF at cruize. My GLHS runs a 3 bar with a setting of 21 PSI of boost and 72 lb injectors, I don't think you have to drive a POS rice burner to make power and mileage. Last but not least for guys only driving the new stuff what about a Challenger? My friends MLS 300C gets 33 MPG on the 2 lanes running 65 and 30 MPG running 80 with the 340 HP Hemi. The new Challenger gets a 6 speed, 3.71 gears and the new 375 HP Hemi that gets 4% better mileage than the last one. The Challenger also weighs 500 lbs less than a 300C. Those running a SC on the Mustang can try running the wideband like the Shelby Dodges, as your engine gets a boosted fuel curve. The engine runs the 16:1 only at cruize and light throttle. Under any real load the boost hits and more fuel comes in. But come on, a 84 Shelby Charger was rated at 41 MPG highway. I don't think you need to go ricing

Archived