TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A GT500 that I wouldn't buy..

Jfoster

I posted this over at Stangnet too - Definately keep a look out for the average MPG on your new cars....as it might be a good indication of how it was treated right off the truck.

I would be PISSED:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustan...026300767QQrdZ1

What this would say to me is that for the first 60 miles of my new cars life, it was beaten to ****. I'm surprised they would even put that on there.

NO THANKS

Jeff

post-6364-1156762278_thumb.jpg

post-6364-1156762278_thumb.jpg

I posted this over at Stangnet too - Definately keep a look out for the average MPG on your new cars....as it might be a good indication of how it was treated right off the truck.

I would be PISSED:

What this would say to me is that for the first 60 miles of my new cars life, it was beaten to ****. I'm surprised they would even put that on there.

NO THANKS

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Ya know....I'm guessing that you don't own a GT500, am I correct? I say this because the truth is you'll be blown away at how little you need to have your foot in it to get really crappy mpg. My daily commute is about 14 miles door to door and it's all stop and go....really slow (about 35 min). If I take that route, I get about 11-12 mpg at an average of 15-20 mph. That said, if I go another, slightly quicker route, I'll get 14-15.

Now, if I'm on the highway, doing 65-75mph, I get 21.7 so it all averages out.

I guess what I'm saying is, when you consider what small distances and speeds they probably covered in that 60 miles, 10mpg isn't unreasonable for the car.

BUT, they are dumb as hell for not resetting the guage before taking the picture. Plus the default is ODO/Trip, not MPG. They're stupid, but they didn't necessarily beat the snot out of the car.

:shift:

bj

I imagine a big part of his point was the simple fact that there are 60 miles on this car. I realize Ford pulls some cars for more thorough quality testing, and these cars therefore arrive with more miles on them. I also understand that such cars come with a special sticker that says that the car was used for this purpose.

This odometer would raise a red flag for ME - especially if there was no documentation that the car was used by Ford for detailed post-production testing.

:sos:

Hey Jeff,

Ya know....I'm guessing that you don't own a GT500, am I correct? I say this because the truth is you'll be blown away at how little you need to have your foot in it to get really crappy mpg. My daily commute is about 14 miles door to door and it's all stop and go....really slow (about 35 min). If I take that route, I get about 11-12 mpg at an average of 15-20 mph. That said, if I go another, slightly quicker route, I'll get 14-15.

Now, if I'm on the highway, doing 65-75mph, I get 21.7 so it all averages out.

I guess what I'm saying is, when you consider what small distances and speeds they probably covered in that 60 miles, 10mpg isn't unreasonable for the car.

BUT, they are dumb as hell for not resetting the guage before taking the picture. Plus the default is ODO/Trip, not MPG. They're stupid, but they didn't necessarily beat the snot out of the car.

:shift:

bj

No, I don't own one, but I can definately perform basic math. Even with your stop and go, you cant manage an "average" MPG as poor as that car. If 10mpg is this cars average, then at least some of the time, it had to be even below that = beat on.. that combined with 60 miles on the car just seals the deal. If the car had 15 miles on it, then I could somewhat believe the "they drove it to the gas station with some stop and go driving" - but even then, they would have had to get on it.

I didn't post this asking if someone thought it was beat on or not - I was pretty sure that it was. All I need is some common sense and basic number crunching to convince me of the obvious. I just thought that people should look at their average MPG on their cars before they pick them up. I'm sure I don't need to explain the importance of break-in on this site - you guys know.

Jeff

No, I don't own one, but I can definately perform basic math. Even with your stop and go, you cant manage an "average" MPG as poor as that car. If 10mpg is this cars average, then at least some of the time, it had to be even below that = beat on.. that combined with 60 miles on the car just seals the deal. If the car had 15 miles on it, then I could somewhat believe the "they drove it to the gas station with some stop and go driving" - but even then, they would have had to get on it.

I didn't post this asking if someone thought it was beat on or not - I was pretty sure that it was. All I need is some common sense and basic number crunching to convince me of the obvious. I just thought that people should look at their average MPG on their cars before they pick them up. I'm sure I don't need to explain the importance of break-in on this site - you guys know.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, Just a thought. If the car was started and left idling a lot, as in being moved around the lot, loaded on train and trucks, that would lower the MPG. I commute 19 miles a day to work....4 traffic lights, but the in between about 55 mph. I am averaging 23.1

I would be PISSED:

NO THANKS

Jeff

I wouldn't judge the mileage on first few tanks of gas. Period. We got ours last Tuesday and even on the highway, we were getting 8.9 mi/gal at first. We have been averaging 18-19 on the 2nd tank with a mix of highway and local streets. It seems to be getting better every day, except of course, when you beat the crap out of it! We watched ours come off the truck and every minute until we took possession of it, and it was not hot rodded at all.

I guess I'm more anal than some of you :) However, I thought that came with the "mustang lover" designation. :)

60 miles was the first flag to me...then the Average MPG.. I would think if driving normally for 60 miles, the AVERAGE would be a little higher.

Bill - I doubt it took 60 miles to get it from train-truck and to idle around the lot.

Sure, we all would LIKE to believe that the dealer pampered it before selling it, but I'm a realist..

I guess we all have our opinions - mine is that the car was beat on a bit before those pictures were taken.

Jeff

I guess I'm more anal than some of you :) However, I thought that came with the "mustang lover" designation. :)

60 miles was the first flag to me...then the Average MPG.. I would think if driving normally for 60 miles, the AVERAGE would be a little higher.

Bill - I doubt it took 60 miles to get it from train-truck and to idle around the lot.

Sure, we all would LIKE to believe that the dealer pampered it before selling it, but I'm a realist..

I guess we all have our opinions - mine is that the car was beat on a bit before those pictures were taken.

Jeff

My car had 7 miles on it and it too said 10.8 mpg. If it sits idling while it is being loaded on the train, that is hurting milage. It could be a default that it starts at too. During my first tank of gas it showed 10.8 the whole time--and I was not hot rodding the car. After my first fill-up, I reset the computer and it has been showing 13.8 average.

Know what I like best about this... bidding stalled at $10k over MSRP and car did not sell. B.I.N. of $25k over and no takers. Seems like we're setting another price level quickly. :party:

Another bullet in my theory that prices are coming down. Don't "settle" for huge ADM's. As cars are coming on lots prices are coming down. :happy feet: Heck, even "mallofgeorgiafordinternetsales", who we know bids on everything, stopped at $10k over.

p.s. - don't shoot the messenger of the above statement!

Jeff

You do realize that the car will not go into boost for the first part of these beast's life.

I would not say it is a fact the car was beaten on but the 60 mi would raise my curiousity thats for sure. Even if they got on it, its ok, nothing has been proving that beating on your car right from the get go will do any damage. The car comes broken in and ready to go right from the factory. I would say just look at the rear tires

I was thinking (for some dumb reason) that it (the display) meant that the car got 10.8MPG for that 60 miles. If I would have thought about it - I'm sure it is just that single trip/session....inserting foot now.

Heres what I posted at stangnet in response to brands5.0

Originally Posted by brands5.0

When you frist star up a new mustang and you reset the MPG AND the car is not moving it goes to a real low number. Example Start your mustang reset MPG it goes to like 10 or 13 drive to the end of your road youll see around 8-10 mpg . Now on the highway reset it at about 55 mph and youll see 21 mpg. It all depends if you let the car idle in the drive way it falls fast to even at a stop lige it will go from 18 mpg to 15 mpg in a few min.

Me:

That's the first thing I've seen that makes sense. I thought it was giving the average MPG for those 60 miles - but it's really just for that single trip - right? I stand corrected...now i have to go eat crow on another board I posted this on! (

..eating crow.

Jeff

Guest evilchris

I hit the MPG reset for the first time today. It REALLY jumps arouind right after you reset it. Just like it did on my 99 Cougar. Its just a freaking gimic. Its not exact. Just like outside temp readings from electronic controls.

It's not a gimic at all. It jumps around at reset because of low sampling data. As samples increase the average is more accurate.

Archived