TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nail in tire

Hummm I do not ever recall seeing a tire that could not be fixed? Unless it is a side wall issue? Simple nail hole, requires a simple plug or patch if you want to go to the level. I would be surprised and shock if these tires can not be fixed like any standard tire.

I have a nail sitting in my stock right rear tire. Surprisingly, there is no gradual air loss yet. I'd rather not have the nail come flying out at full highway speed.

I recall someone saying that these tires can't be fixed once there is a nail hole. Does anyone know if that is right?

Nope not right, it can be repaired. Just make sure whoever repairs it patches the hole form the inside of the tire. NO plug repairs from your corner gas station.

Steve

Hah! A nail! How mundane....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=396356

I don't think there's any reason this tire can't be repaired, per se. I had a tire shop offer to plug the monster sized hole the pushrod left in mine.

The question is whether the tire will perform at the 155mph rating if it has been plugged or patched. I thought for about 30 seconds, and I came to the conclusion that a "repaired" tire would be the only thing I could think about every time I opened up or got aggressive in a turn. So, I bought a new one.

Whoever the shop is, make sure they can deal with the "touchless" mount, whatever that is. I know Discount Tire and Butler do this, but don't know anybody else. I had mine replaced at the dealer (cheapest, believe it or not).

-Mike

I had a nail in my rear tire not to long ago. I went to walmart, bought a plug kit and threw it in the back

of the trunk just in case I had another problem with a nail down the road. Have had no problems at all since I plugged it. I don't think I am going to be going 155mph anytime soon so no worries here. I been plugging tires for years here at ford, never had one come back yet. Patches different story, them sob's leak all the time. Just my .02...

I had a nail in my rear tire not to long ago. I went to walmart, bought a plug kit and threw it in the back

of the trunk just in case I had another problem with a nail down the road. Have had no problems at all since I plugged it. I don't think I am going to be going 155mph anytime soon so no worries here. I been plugging tires for years here at ford, never had one come back yet. Patches different story, them sob's leak all the time. Just my .02...

+1000. Anyone who feels they need to buy a new one rather than a simple $10 plug, well lets just say a waste of money. I plugged tires 30+ years ago, and they use the same plugs today, and on millions of tires a week. Unless it is a major whole, a nail whole will plug just fine. I also agree, the patch is not worth the effort nor the rim issues! Get it plugged and let it go.....

My first experience with my TPMS sensors were with the business end of a house key stuck in my tire.

I was an allowed distance from the sidewall/edge so they repaired it and it ran fine until I put my new Nitto INVOs on.

Nope not right, it can be repaired. Just make sure whoever repairs it patches the hole form the inside of the tire. NO plug repairs from your corner gas station.

Steve

+1 for Steve.

One other consideration when PATCHING (never plug a performance tire) is that once your Z rated Goodyear F1 is patched the speed rating drops two levels. So your Z rating (good above 149mph) will effectively drop to a V rating (good above 130mph up to 149mph).

Also, when you take it in to be patched tell them that the wheel has a TPMS sensor in it; also, I never take my GT500 to a shop and just drop off the car like they would like you to do, take the wheel/tire off the car and take it to them, this way there is no joy ridding, no way for your car to get damaged by some grease monkey and the shop will usually get it done quicker for you. Take it to them in the mid-afternoon, tire shop are always busiest in the mornings up till 2:00pm. Since I took a Z rated wheel/tire to Wheel Works some time ago and instructed them to patch it, not plug it AND THEY PLUGGED IT ANYWAY, I stick around to make sure it's done the way it needs to be done, I'll ask to visually check the patch B4 the tire goes back on the wheel, most shops don't mind and are OK with my dilligence. I use Big O for my tire care now, I will also use a Ford dealer but they typically charge twice as much as Big O to patch a tire which is $13.00 + Tax.

Hope that helps,

Jay

Archived