TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is An $80,000 Mustang Going Too Far?

One reader wrote, "Since when was the Ford Mustang supposed to be competing in the arena of high-priced super-cars when it is the regular Joes in America who have kept the brand alive for 44 years?" This sentiment is repeated in many of the Mustang discussion forums this week. The multitudes of this genre are still asking, “Where is the affordable performance that Mustang has been known for?”

http://www.themustangnews.com/fomoco_08/st-0508price103.htm

One reader wrote, "Since when was the Ford Mustang supposed to be competing in the arena of high-priced super-cars when it is the regular Joes in America who have kept the brand alive for 44 years?" This sentiment is repeated in many of the Mustang discussion forums this week. The multitudes of this genre are still asking, “Where is the affordable performance that Mustang has been known for?”

http://www.themustangnews.com/fomoco_08/st-0508price103.htm

The affordability is alive and well with Mustangs!

Can we say....V6 and V8 GT Mustang????

$19k - $32k isn't affordable for a mustang???

They want to take a special edition high performance model that cost a lot more to make and compare that to mustang as not being affordable??? Give me a break!

Where are they when Roush and Saleen came out with $70K mustangs???

It sounds like a bunch of cry babies that want and expect the best of the best for a standard V6 mustang price!

They want to take a special edition high performance model that cost a lot more to make and compare that to mustang as not being affordable??? Give me a break!

It sounds like a bunch of cry babies that want and expect the best of the best for a standard V6 mustang price!

Right on Shelby Dude!!!

DP

Right on Shelby Dude!!!

DP

In all honesty $80,000 is a bit steep for a car with no IRS, cross drilled rotors, rear brembo etc, that fact is simple we are pay $80k for the name Shelby and the hopes of future collectability.

Nav or shaker 1000 should be standard on this car.

at 80K the z06 is a much better equipt car but it lacks the Shelby mystique and rarity.

the KR is a awesome car but 70k would have seemed more realistic

Bottom line is the market will determine if any car is worth the price or not.

If it sells then obviously it was worth it to everyone that bought it.

If everyone thinks it isn't worth it then NO ONE will buy it and they will sit and rot on dealer lots until Ford slaps $10k - $20k rebates on them just to get them sold.

The GT500 sold for $60k - $65k in large numbers and some have sold for a lot more with the highest being $125k that I know of.

That being the case I'm sure they won't have any problem selling 1573 KR's at $80k and most will be paying $100K + to get one. So what difference does it really make what MSRP is when most will pay a lot more than that at $100K +?

BTW

I think paying $250k - $350k for a 67-70 Shelby that cost $4600 new is ludicrous!

What do you get for $250k - $350k other than a modified mustang that is over 40 years old with a bunch of miles on it????

I'd pay $100k for the new KR before paying a $100k for an old one!

I like the older mustangs and all, but for the money the new ones are much better and I could have 3 new KR's for the price of one old KR.

I could buy 5 new GT500's for the price of one old GT500.

And you are NOT paying $80k for the Shelby name! You are paying $47k for the GT500 which that alone is a steal for what you get and you are paying $35k for the KR upgrade which $7k of that alone is the cost of the carbon fiber hood.

If they went with a regular hood they could of cut $6200 off the cost and you would be in the $72k - $74k range.

SD you are correct. What most people miss is the

fact 67GT500s jumped 300% in one year. Sorry

it doesn't work that way in reality. Just as the house

prices, commodities etc have seen corrections so will

the car market. When speculation outpaces reality what

we have left is a bunch of people losing their a--. It has

been going on for hundreds of years just different

wrappers. The KR is just another example of the

speculation and hype machine. I guess most people

have not seen the 700+ GT500 cars for sale and the

number keeps growing. Prices have been dropping

quickly as dealers are nervous over getting stuck. I

think it is real ironical given the circumstances. Just

my .02c

SD you are correct. What most people miss is the

fact 67GT500s jumped 300% in one year. Sorry

it doesn't work that way in reality. Just as the house

prices, commodities etc have seen corrections so will

the car market. When speculation outpaces reality what

we have left is a bunch of people losing their a--. It has

been going on for hundreds of years just different

wrappers. The KR is just another example of the

speculation and hype machine. I guess most people

have not seen the 700+ GT500 cars for sale and the

number keeps growing. Prices have been dropping

quickly as dealers are nervous over getting stuck. I

think it is real ironical given the circumstances. Just

my .02c

I'm not bashing any car, nor am I bashing the price. I think the KR is great and would probably buy one myself if I could easily afford it. With that said, I've never seen a $7000 hood nor will I ever.

BTW

I think paying $250k - $350k for a 67-70 Shelby that cost $4600 new is ludicrous!

What do you get for $250k - $350k other than a modified mustang that is over 40 years old with a bunch of miles on it????

I'd pay $100k for the new KR before paying a $100k for an old one!

I like the older mustangs and all, but for the money the new ones are much better and I could have 3 new KR's for the price of one old KR.

I could buy 5 new GT500's for the price of one old GT500.

And you are NOT paying $80k for the Shelby name! You are paying $47k for the GT500 which that alone is a steal for what you get and you are paying $35k for the KR upgrade which $7k of that alone is the cost of the carbon fiber hood.

If they went with a regular hood they could of cut $6200 off the cost and you would be in the $72k - $74k range.

I disagree you are paying for the HYPE and the Name

I see from the comments that a lot of you haven't read the road tests. Nearly a second quicker, 1.0 g on the skid pad, better high speed stablity etc etc.

Some of you are giving your honest opinions, some of you are just negative for obvious reasons. READ the road tests before you gripe, sheesh. :slapfight:

I see from the comments that a lot of you haven't read the road tests. Nearly a second quicker, 1.0 g on the skid pad, better high speed stablity etc etc.

Some of you are giving your honest opinions, some of you are just negative for obvious reasons. READ the road tests before you gripe, sheesh. :slapfight:

Road tests like this one Road and Track? We must read differently :slapfight:

I'd like to see an all-out comparison test between the KR and other performance cars in its price range; that would go a long way in answering the topic question. I have a feeling, however, that it would not fare too well.

edit - for example, compare it to the cars in this grouping.....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/downloa...06911_chart.pdf

On the other hand, this article suggests some different reasons to consider a KR;

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=126082

In the end, it depends on the customers and what they are searching for. Shelby will sell every one of the KR's - so, doesn't that answer the question?

I'm in the market looking for another car, and unfortunately the KR really doesn't do it for me. The performance upgrades included - compared to the performance "actually" gained - in a way make those who pay top dollar for this car almost look like fools.

Maybe much of this thinking comes from all the knowledge of upgrades and what is possible from reading boards like this.

I really don't know what to get next. I'm open to suggestions.

HSURB

+1

The KR is not really a production car for us regular folk. The 300 HP GT is very nice. I had one in '05 when they first came out. It was silver.

:happy feet:

I'm in the market looking for another car, and unfortunately the KR really doesn't do it for me. The performance upgrades included - compared to the performance "actually" gained - in a way make those who pay top dollar for this car almost look like fools.

Maybe much of this thinking comes from all the knowledge of upgrades and what is possible from reading boards like this.

HSURB

The Aveo for '09 looks rad, dude.

:hysterical:

22 pounds lighter. :happy feet:

Does the quarter in 12.1

Can stop in 109 feet (from 60 mph).

HSURB

6 Series BMW or M6 :happy feet:

Archived