TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel removal

OK, here's a few questions for you folks:

If I remove my wheels/tires for cleaning and detailing, then put them back on the same corner they came off of, (carefully marking bolt patteren, etc.), is TPMS retraining necessary?

On the other hand, if I decide to rotate the wheels/tires while I have them off, I assume that TPMS retraining will be necessary?

Can a battery disconnect be used to "reset" the TPMS, (tire rotation or not), or will this screw up everything else?

Just trying to take care of my baby myself - I'd like to eliminate as many trips to the dealership as possible!

SEF

AKA:

OK, here's a few questions for you folks:

If I remove my wheels/tires for cleaning and detailing, then put them back on the same corner they came off of, (carefully marking bolt patteren, etc.), is TPMS retraining necessary?

On the other hand, if I decide to rotate the wheels/tires while I have them off, I assume that TPMS retraining will be necessary?

Can a battery disconnect be used to "reset" the TPMS, (tire rotation or not), or will this screw up everything else?

Just trying to take care of my baby myself - I'd like to eliminate as many trips to the dealership as possible!

SEF

AKA:

I took mine off and they got moved and did not have to retrain them.

As everyone else here, I rotated my wheels, cleaning the inside as you mentioned with no problems concerning TPMS. The hardest part was figuring out correct jack points. Hope all went well.

Jim

Well, I didn't get to rotate last weekend - to much other stuff going on! Anyway, I did get to it yesterday, and it went well. I have several jacks and jack stands, but two scissor jacks, (one is a stock Mustang GT jack, the other from a Nissan pickup), worked just fine.

The jack points I used are: Rear axle, towards the wheel as far as possible, but inboard of suspension. The front was a little different, after a brief chat with a Ford tech, here's where I placed the front jacks:

Look underneath the car, behind the front tire, about where the "Shelby GT" lettering starts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wil.../jackpoint1.jpg

You'll see this u-shaped channel, part of the sub/A-frame, with two bolts holding it to the body. (It's the black, curved piece in the foreground of this photo) I used a small, protective block of wood, then jacked her up from there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/willson/jackpoint.jpg

About an hour later, after removal, cleaning, and replacement, I was done!

No problems with the TPMS, however, I did notice a slight increase in tire noise. This is probably due to changing sides with the wheel/tire combo. There is no "direction of rotation" arrows that I could find on the tires, so I figure they are bi-directional.

SEF

AKA:

Well, I didn't get to rotate last weekend - to much other stuff going on! Anyway, I did get to it yesterday, and it went well. I have several jacks and jack stands, but two scissor jacks, (one is a stock Mustang GT jack, the other from a Nissan pickup), worked just fine.

The jack points I used are: Rear axle, towards the wheel as far as possible, but inboard of suspension. The front was a little different, after a brief chat with a Ford tech, here's where I placed the front jacks:

Look underneath the car, behind the front tire, about where the "Shelby GT" lettering starts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wil.../jackpoint1.jpg

You'll see this u-shaped channel, part of the sub/A-frame, with two bolts holding it to the body. (It's the black, curved piece in the foreground of this photo) I used a small, protective block of wood, then jacked her up from there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/willson/jackpoint.jpg

About an hour later, after removal, cleaning, and replacement, I was done!

No problems with the TPMS, however, I did notice a slight increase in tire noise. This is probably due to changing sides with the wheel/tire combo. There is no "direction of rotation" arrows that I could find on the tires, so I figure they are bi-directional.

SEF

AKA:

You can rotate tires without retraining; however, if a tire gets low the dash display will report a problem with the wrong wheel... The systems knows which tire sensor is where...

I have had a tire go low and the light did come on. However, It doesn't indicate which tire is low. At least not on my car. It just tells you low tire or something. Are there different systems or can we put this to rest. BTW, when I had my wheels changed I watched the guys and I didn't see them take any action to ensure the same sensor went back on the same corner. If they did they were pretty sly about it.

You can rotate tires without retraining; however, if a tire gets low the dash display will report a problem with the wrong wheel... The systems knows which tire sensor is where...

Maybe the system knows which tire is low, but my system doesn't tell me. It just reports low pressure.

I also strongly suggest that folks do not jack the car by the rear suspension or differential housing. I make this suggestion because the axle tubes are "sweated" into the diff housing, not welded (which you should do if you are racing). You will weaken the structure and develop leaks eventually leading to failure. Likewise the front suspension, you will pull your alignment out of whack. Use only the indicated jack locations on the frame.

Archived