TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Z06 Kills

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO joke bud smell the coffie and face the fact's a little moded gt 500 will smoke z06. There time's are pretty close at par!!! and beat's a c6 stock vs stock !!! sorry for waking you up!

Those Chevy guys are getting nervous, that is why they are puffing up. We all know the Shelby is the better car :stirpot:

Those Chevy guys are getting nervous, that is why they are puffing up. We all know the Shelby is the better car :stirpot:

What I think is sweet about the GT500 is that with a CAI, exhaust and retune, and a competant driver, it's in the 11s, and with the kits that will be coming soon (I'll look at SEMA, tho it's hard checking 5,000 vendors ;-) an afternoon in your driveway and 650crankHP and 10s. You can certainly make a 'vette go fast, but not with a simple kit in an afternoon. Like the Termies, the GT500 will be easy to get to the next plateau, I think. After that, well, you're into serious mods, but I would not be going that far anyway. And in a $41K (eventually <lol>) car, that's an amazing VALUE!

What I think is sweet about the GT500 is that with a CAI, exhaust and retune, and a competant driver, it's in the 11s, and with the kits that will be coming soon (I'll look at SEMA, tho it's hard checking 5,000 vendors ;-) an afternoon in your driveway and 650crankHP and 10s. You can certainly make a 'vette go fast, but not with a simple kit in an afternoon. Like the Termies, the GT500 will be easy to get to the next plateau, I think. After that, well, you're into serious mods, but I would not be going that far anyway. And in a $41K (eventually <lol>) car, that's an amazing VALUE!

the Shelby certainly has the awe factor too. I took mine to the neighbor car gathering and I had to beat the looky loo's off with a stick. The crowd was absolutely impressed :drool: So, I just don't understand how anyone can criticize it. I am taking mine to a reputable aftermarket exhaust manufacturer later this week to be the test mule. We will see if there is much that can be improved upon. :cheerleader:

the Shelby certainly has the awe factor too. I took mine to the neighbor car gathering and I had to beat the looky loo's off with a stick. The crowd was absolutely impressed :drool: So, I just don't understand how anyone can criticize it. I am taking mine to a reputable aftermarket exhaust manufacturer later this week to be the test mule. We will see if there is much that can be improved upon. :cheerleader:

I read on one of the blog sites that the GT500 exhaust is actually a bit more restrictive than the base GT. This was someone with ties into Ford engineering. The reason given was that the max db-level permitted across US markets is 83db. With the s/c and larger tires, they had to quiet the exhaust to stay within the overall certification limits. So the post contends that even the stock GT mufflers will give a couple extra ponies. If that's true, really 'clean' mufflers should do a bit better.

Did you also see the dyno run with just a CAI & exhaust and retune, it was pulling 502HP on a dynojet (can;t find that link right now).

Here's a link to a dgussin1's bone-stock GT500 with 200mi on it with various tunes (no other changes whatsover) getting from 435 to 483HP -- not bad! Bone Stock GT500 Dyno Runs And a link to the video for those runs: 435-483rwHP Bone-stock retuned GT500

Interesting that there have been so many doubters... The GT500 Ford rep told me that under Ford test conditions was in excess of 475rwHP (and in excess of 525crankHP on the engine dyno). So far everything he's told me has been true, though they clearly shipped the car with a more conservative tune no doubt for emissions and gas-guzzler reasons (ditto the 3.31 gears <lol> ). That's the same guy who told me Ford tested mods to about 650crankHP which involved only intake/exhaust and boost. If that's so, we'll be seeing some impressive nums in the future, I think, even if she is a bit porky ;-)

-Dan

I read on one of the blog sites that the GT500 exhaust is actually a bit more restrictive than the base GT. This was someone with ties into Ford engineering. The reason given was that the max db-level permitted across US markets is 83db. With the s/c and larger tires, they had to quiet the exhaust to stay within the overall certification limits. So the post contends that even the stock GT mufflers will give a couple extra ponies. If that's true, really 'clean' mufflers should do a bit better.

Did you also see the dyno run with just a CAI & exhaust and retune, it was pulling 502HP on a dynojet (can;t find that link right now).

Here's a link to a dgussin1's bone-stock GT500 with 200mi on it with various tunes (no other changes whatsover) getting from 435 to 483HP -- not bad! Bone Stock GT500 Dyno Runs And a link to the video for those runs: 435-483rwHP Bone-stock retuned GT500

Interesting that there have been so many doubters... The GT500 Ford rep told me that under Ford test conditions was in excess of 475rwHP (and in excess of 525crankHP on the engine dyno). So far everything he's told me has been true, though they clearly shipped the car with a more conservative tune no doubt for emissions and gas-guzzler reasons (ditto the 3.31 gears <lol> ). That's the same guy who told me Ford tested mods to about 650crankHP which involved only intake/exhaust and boost. If that's so, we'll be seeing some impressive nums in the future, I think, even if she is a bit porky ;-)

-Dan

Appreciate the information. If the exhaust info is true, it will be cheap horsepower :)

-Dan

Thank's for the link i know this car with minor mod's is a z06 killer easy 11 sec 1/4 mile! cant wait for mine should be in early sept.Then the fun start's :happy feet: :party: :bandance:

Guest evilchris

Thank's for the link i know this car with minor mod's is a z06 killer easy 11 sec 1/4 mile! cant wait for mine should be in early sept.Then the fun start's :happy feet: :party: :bandance:

Is the 1/4 mile all that matters?

Is the 1/4 mile all that matters?

Good point Chris, I don't think so but it seems all the national magazines focus in on it and have for a long time. I have a race car so Im looking for a fast comfortable street car. I do like hearing the power mods. Guess its about RESPECT.

Good point Chris, I don't think so but it seems all the national magazines focus in on it and have for a long time. I have a race car so Im looking for a fast comfortable street car. I do like hearing the power mods. Guess its about RESPECT.

+1 It's nice to know it's fast but just one aspect of performance for me -- I personally like great handling. I think the GT500 rocks all-around as a pony car, but could be happy with a 3550lb 450HP Boss with better WD :)

Back in '68 my 390 S-code wasn't all that much slower than the GT500 because it was some 700lbs lighter, and adding bigger sway bars, down-lock adjustable Konis, Michelin radials, and moving the battery to the trunk made it hold it's own nicely in the twisties too. For $3K and $200 in mods, it was a steal!

Can't wait to see what the Boss includes. This is one it will be easy for Ford to screw up and critical for them to do right.

The again, I'd much rather do an all-nighter back-road rally or just get lost on country back-roads in a GT500 than in a Z06.

I think the total car is 1/4 mile as well as handling,acceleration and braking,however saying that,most of my 20+ years racing on the streets,eventually came down in most cases(not all),to the 1/4 mile or more of a straight line,less traffic stretch of road. However there has been cases where twistys were involved,but more times than not,it was more straight line! I do love both though,handling as well as straight line!

Interesting. Power mods earn respect?

How so?

Is louder faster?

Maybe he was referring to the blower or turbocharger "whine". Loud is easy - glasspacks. Power is expensive but far more fun. He has a point about RESPECT - when some dude in an Acura TL (or choose your favorite import) at a stoplight realizes the whine he hears coming from my truck isn't a bad bearing but instead, a blower, I can feel their entire attitude toward me change. Priceless stuff... it really is.

I can dig it.

Back in the '60s - at least where I was living - we didn't pay much attention to exhaust sounds.

Our prime directive was engine power.

Big blocks don't need glass packs.

We could hear cams and hp at a stoplight. (and see front fenders shaking!)

And we weren't shooting up the engines with NOS - we used Sunoco 260.

Don't think all young people want "Ricers" these days - at least around here.

I know a dozen young students who like American muscle cars - and drive them.

I've got 3 students in my classes this semester with Mustangs - 2 of them blown with gears, etc.

One young lad with an '03 Cobra with 4.10's says he leaves tire marks in 4th gear!

The Legend Lives. :bandance:

Man, I had an '82 F250 4x4 (with nice vinyl seats) that had a 351W in it. I put a Crane cam that, as I recall, had about a .480 lift and 280* duration.... loped like a sumb*tch and sounded beautiful. That is one thing I miss about "the old days" - the loping idle cars... nowadays, we just as easily get power with a computer (custom tune) and some simple bolt ons... sigh... then again, I also owned a 1968 289 Mustang with an Accel dual-point centrifugal advance distributor.... ok, I digress....

I can dig it.

Back in the '60s - at least where I was living - we didn't pay much attention to exhaust sounds.

Our prime directive was engine power.

Big blocks don't need glass packs.

We could hear cams and hp at a stoplight. (and see front fenders shaking!)

And we weren't shooting up the engines with NOS - we used Sunoco 260.

Don't think all young people want "Ricers" these days - at least around here.

I know a dozen young students who like American muscle cars - and drive them.

I've got 3 students in my classes this semester with Mustangs - 2 of them blown with gears, etc.

One young lad with an '03 Cobra with 4.10's says he leaves tire marks in 4th gear!

The Legend Lives. :bandance:

Archived