TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just picked up my set of 20" Black Razors, Nitto 255/35/20 INVO fronts and 305/35/20 Nitto DR rears. I definitely like the Razors but these wheels are way better looking in person than I expected! The Tires (305's) are way, way wider than I expected from searching the forum pics but they look outrageous. I am sending two wheels to weldcraft to widen them to 10 1/2 inches (Louie had +1 experience with them). Question: What do you think about tire size? The 305's are crazy looking. Too much or just right? Any one out there with a similar size set up give me some feed back about your tires and how you like them. I was originally going with 295's but went off the deep end and got the 305's instead. Also, any suggestions or experience with shocks or suspension that will effect the ride really appreciated. I will get photos up in about a month when the wheels come back from weldcraft. The car is a Shelby GTH vert.

Just picked up my set of 20" Black Razors, Nitto 255/35/20 INVO fronts and 305/35/20 Nitto DR rears. I definitely like the Razors but these wheels are way better looking in person than I expected! The Tires (305's) are way, way wider than I expected from searching the forum pics but they look outrageous. I am sending two wheels to weldcraft to widen them to 10 1/2 inches (Louie had +1 experience with them). Question: What do you think about tire size? The 305's are crazy looking. Too much or just right? Any one out there with a similar size set up give me some feed back about your tires and how you like them. I was originally going with 295's but went off the deep end and got the 305's instead. Also, any suggestions or experience with shocks or suspension that will effect the ride really appreciated. I will get photos up in about a month when the wheels come back from weldcraft. The car is a Shelby GTH vert.

WoW....I just today put new shoes on the Pony......the other ones are only a year old but they already show quite a bit of camber wear......they were also polished

alloy rims and I went for chrome......

I have 255 x 35 x 20 on the front and 285 x 30 x 20 rear and I'm thinking if I hit a hard enough bump I'm hitting the rear quarter......

I have the exact same package with Boss wheels I'm taking off but with 275 on the rear and they were just perfect.

I don't know what your off-set is but 305 is one big ass tire........

I agree with CS6. I recall over a year ago there was discussion about the max width being 280 rear because it hit the fender. I think it all has to do with the alignment of your rear end. Before I had Tasca install a panhard rod my 275s hit the fender but not afterwards. I saw at Tasca some 305s on a GT500 but it didn't hit since it is much higher. I tend to think those will rub badly on your Hertz. I think that Loiue had really wide tires but I don't recall size. Good luck and post pics.

20' razors and 295 30 rear tires here with no problem at all. The key was the different offset from front to rear. I would have to look it up as I cant recall off the top of my head but there was a little over 1/2" difference. The fronts are the offset more to outside to clear the 500 brakes. They first sent me same for rear and they did stick out too much. If I recall correctly I still have plenty of room on inside of rear where wheel could be widened.

20' razors and 295 30 rear tires here with no problem at all. The key was the different offset from front to rear. I would have to look it up as I cant recall off the top of my head but there was a little over 1/2" difference. The fronts are the offset more to outside to clear the 500 brakes. They first sent me same for rear and they did stick out too much.

Nitto 305x35x20 on 20x10.5 with 40mm offset 6.5 back spacing +1.5" Yea baby!!!

No issue of rubbing could go to 315s with no problem and I drive on NYC roads to test them

CIMG2856.jpg

CIMG2861.jpg

I agree with CS6. I recall over a year ago there was discussion about the max width being 280 rear because it hit the fender. I think it all has to do with the alignment of your rear end. Before I had Tasca install a panhard rod my 275s hit the fender but not afterwards. I saw at Tasca some 305s on a GT500 but it didn't hit since it is much higher. I tend to think those will rub badly on your Hertz. I think that Loiue had really wide tires but I don't recall size. Good luck and post pics.

Thanks. What I can't seem to find is the whether there is any suspension set up difference between the GTH and the Shelby GT 4.6. Anything significant you are aware of? Louie is running 305's and says no problems with rubbing and I believe his car is a highly modified GT but not a GT 500. I'll be packing the wheels up tomorrow and shipping them out Monday. Pics in about 4 weeks.

I am 99.999% sure both are same suspension.

I think CMG is correct - its about the offset. If I recall now, that was what Louis pointed out when he did his wheels- and his numbers (and pics) above show it too.

Go for it. Louis is definitely one of the more respected guys here and a guy to copy as he's done some amazing things to and with his car.

Louie those are some awesome pics. Your wheels look great. It looks like you have black blockoff plates, is that correct?

I just added a Saleen suspension to my car with an adjustable UCA and panhard bar. I ordered the 305s/255s combo to go on a set of CS69 wheels I also ordered. 20x10, 20x9. Everything I researched showed just having the adjustable panhard bar was key to everything clearing. The offset on the wheels plays a part as well. Just don't plan on any rainy day driving.

I just added a Saleen suspension to my car with an adjustable UCA and panhard bar. I ordered the 305s/255s combo to go on a set of CS69 wheels I also ordered. 20x10, 20x9. Everything I researched showed just having the adjustable panhard bar was key to everything clearing. The offset on the wheels plays a part as well. Just don't plan on any rainy day driving.

Do we need the panhard bar to keep the tires from rubbing? I've seen pictures of the panhard bar but I'm clueless about what it is for. What is an adjustable UCA? No rainy day driving, lucky to see rain in S. California. Thanks for feedback!!

UCA= upper control arm, mine is an adjustable competition Steeda, you can change your pinion angle with it to help with lowering or racing changes. Also helps control wheelhop. The panhard bar controls the side to side movement of the rear end, factory is non-adjustable. Mine is a BMR adjustable with a heavy duty mount. When the car is lowered the rear shifts to the driver's side. The bar can be adjusted to bring it back and center it. Important when trying to stuff a wide tire under the wheelwells. The problem with the way Shelby lowered the SGT is that they didn't do any more than they needed to to drop it. Same with the front. I used Steeda HD upper strut mounts to allow me to adjust the camber 1 degree +/-. That way I shouldn't get any abnormal wear on the fronts. Hope this helps.

UCA= upper control arm, mine is an adjustable competition Steeda, you can change your pinion angle with it to help with lowering or racing changes. Also helps control wheelhop. The panhard bar controls the side to side movement of the rear end, factory is non-adjustable. Mine is a BMR adjustable with a heavy duty mount. When the car is lowered the rear shifts to the driver's side. The bar can be adjusted to bring it back and center it. Important when trying to stuff a wide tire under the wheelwells. The problem with the way Shelby lowered the SGT is that they didn't do any more than they needed to to drop it. Same with the front. I used Steeda HD upper strut mounts to allow me to adjust the camber 1 degree +/-. That way I shouldn't get any abnormal wear on the fronts. Hope this helps.

GTS,

+1 for your response. I want to go to a supercharger (later), possibly Whipple, and wanted this wheel tire set up for looks and function. This car will not be going to the drag strip so I do not want a racing suspension but I do want it to work with the wheels/tires I just got. Your information helps me get to the next level of suspension, tire, wheel knowledge but I don't have a good handle on it just yet.

Do you know whether these mods you described were done to the GTH? If not, it looks like I should get the components in before installing the new tires so I don't have any rubbing or uneven wear problems. It seems that if there were uneven wear on the tires, it would suggest possible uneven wear on bearings and other suspension parts leading to more costs down the road? Do I need a professional suspension person to adjust the pinion angle? What is a pinion angle? If I were to install the BMR adjustable panhard rod, how do I figure out how to adjust it? I don't want unpleasant suprises at 90MPH. Looks like I need to do some more investigating. Seems like one thing just leads to another but its worth the effort to get it right!

You say you have a Saleen suspension, but with a Steeda UCA and BMR panhard bar? Where does the Saleen come in? Also, why no rainy day driving if the suspension feels better?

I also think the pinion angle has to be changed if you go to a one-piece aluminum or carbon fiber drive shaft so it sounds like if you went this route you could also clear that hurdle as well...

You say you have a Saleen suspension, but with a Steeda UCA and BMR panhard bar? Where does the Saleen come in? Also, why no rainy day driving if the suspension feels better?

I also think the pinion angle has to be changed if you go to a one-piece aluminum or carbon fiber drive shaft so it sounds like if you went this route you could also clear that hurdle as well...

Saleen Racecraft N2 springs, struts, shocks and front sway bar. That's the whole package they use. I added the rest to fortify the platform. The one piece shaft will require a pinion angle change again. I meant no rainy day driving with 305 drag radials. Wide tire with 6/32 tread not the best in rain. Mine is a sunny day ride so I'm OK with that.

Cal, since Weldcraft is widening your wheels and all the width will be going to the inside, I think that you will probably be ok with no other adjustment pieces. The outside of you tire will be pretty much just like mine. It is offset just a bit to the drivers side and is pretty close to the fender, but no rubs so far. If anything, the additional height of the 35's in the back may make it a bit closer on the drivers side, so you may have to get the adjustable Panhard bar. You stated 305/35's on the back, is that correct, or are they 305/30's? The 35's will be pretty tall with 305 width. So it may be pretty close. I wouldn't think that you would need the adjustable UCA for your needs, probably just the panhard bar if you have a rubbing issue on one side but not the other, but you may not need either. I'd get the wheels back and mounted up and see where you are. If you have an issue on one side, then start with just the panhard bar to move the rear over a bit to see if that solves the issue.

The Nitto's only come 305/35/20 in the drag radials right now. They just came out. He's talking about adding a blower, you want to have a suspension set-up that will handle the power first. That's what I'm trying to do, build a good foundation first, then add more power.

MVC_001F.JPG

MVC_001F.JPG

Archived