TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Delivered my Red Coupe to SAI today

I rented a Uhaul tandem trailer for $139. Loaded it on and hauled it from San Jose to SAI. (about 530 miles) This is a one way rental. Here's what I learned.

1) The trailer rails are pretty narrow. With stock tires there is only about a half inch or less of clearance for the back tires. I had help putting it on. I wouldn't recommend doing it alone. The new tires will not fit according the guys at Shelby. So this trailer is not an option for the return.

I'm driving my 40th home.

2) When you load it try to back the trailer up an incline if possible. This cuts the angle of the ramps for easier loading.

3) Make sure you have some straps to hold down the rear axles. The trailer comes with nice straps for the front tires but only a lame chain for the rear.

4) The anti theft system works! I found this out at 5:30 in the morning when the horn announced my departure as soon as I started moving. Simply hitting the unlock button on the key fob fixed that one.

5) The last 10 miles down the hill to stateline is a brutal stretch of road in the right lane. Take it slow.

Overall a fun trip, got a few thumbs up on the way, of course we're all used to those. It's a Shelby!

Andy,

Congrats on getting your car to SAI. And, in particular, thanks for the info on the U-Haul. I will be needing that when I get the word I can bring my SGT home (someday soon, I hope).

Jim

Andy,

Congratulations on your 40th. I think UHaul has a couple different trailers and one has ramps that are 2or 3 inches wider than the other. In any event, you will definately need someone to guide you on. I have used UHaul several times after my 40th conversion with no problems. I have two sets of ramps. one for the ground, and one for the front wheels to set on as the air splitter will hit the wheel stops on the front of the trailer.

Archived