TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT500

Hey All,

Picked up my GT500 last Friday, was on the hunt for some time now, I actually bought and still have a 07SGT from last year when finding a GT500 was nearly impossible and nearly impossible to pay much under 55K.

Mine is Blk with the Alloy Stripe, HID's, Nav, Int Upgrade, Sirius, etc, I guess loaded for 1500 over MSRP, there still selling them for well over MSRP here in New England.

Having both cars is interesting, the most interesting thing is the SGT garners attention where ever it goes, the GT500 garners attention from the crowd who knows the difference.

Of course I will resolve that issue shortly when I have some Mod's done to the SGT, and then I'll do my own compar"o"s,

The long and short of it,

The GT500 is blistering fast, as in really Blistering Fast, the most interesting fact is its fast all the time and is fast in any gear at almost any speed.

I had a 911 Porsche that was fast, but it needed to be prodded some to be fast, and driving around in 4th gear in town didn't work.

The SGt is fast also, of course with no SC'er to help the 4.6 does an admirable job of moving the Big Stang pretty good, with a SC'er it should be interesting to see how the SGT compares to the GT500.

Shortfalls in comparisons;

Brakes; SGT they just suck, Part of Mod's to Taska

The GT500's brakes are pretty decent and haul the car down with little fanfare, no jitter or brake fade to speak of.

The Appearence speaks volumes for the SGT, yea, its eye candy, but eye candy is what makes part of any exterior mod's.

The GT500's appearence is suttle, esepcailly mine with the almost invisable Alloy Stripe on Black, of course one can resolve

that with a Super Snake Upgrade, or buy a KR, lolol

The SGT's exhaust is American Mussle, period, the sound is sweet and the car rumbles a tune reminsent of the 60's/70's.

The Pathetic GT500's exhaust is typical Manufactuer EPA issued crap, sorta like buying a Harley off the showroom floor.

When and if I decide to actually keep the car, I will change that.

The interiors are similar for the most part, the interior upgrade package is nice, not sure if its worth 500 bucks, but, at 50K

whats another 500 bucks.

The GT500's red inserts and red stiching gives the interior some pizazz, as the Mustangs interior is fairly basic.

500/1000 watt shaker, my SGT has the 1000watt the GT500 the Nav with 500Watt, I actually am not a fan of blaring bass, it actually

annoys the crap our of me, but saying that, I think the 1000 watt shaker sounds better than the 500 watt as long as you don't want factory

Nav.

The seats are somewhat more comfortabel in the GT500, better fit and finish, nice Cobra on seat back and more lateral support cornering, actually instills some confidence when you aren't fighting body shift.

The handling of these two cars is interesting, I have read that the GT500 is nose heavy and the rear end is loose, I can say with some confidence, after owning many performance cars the GT500 should hold its own on any curvy mountain road.

The SGT, with the handling kit, lower profile gives the confidence the car is more adhered to the road, you don't see the raised rear end in your mirror and the concerns if you nail it coming out of the next bend your front will be facing back.

Of course any car driven beyond ones capabilites is asking for trouble, and handling, tires, SC'ers mean nothing wrapped around a telephone pole.

I have searched the net for a compar'o's of these two similar but different cars, so I concluded now that I am fortunant to own both I would take the time to write my own unbiased review and share my experences with my comrades who own these absolutely wonderful cars.

As I love them both, and my wife and other family members encourage me to keep both, it becomes difficult to decide which I like better.

The SGT goes to Taska, as this was in the process prior to my GT500 purchase, I am following through, they have my moola!!!! The Testing should become even more interesting when the SGT is making 500 or so HP with a Intercooled SC'er, better brakes etc, sounds intriguing.

I'll break out the dictionary, I know my spelling sucks.

Stay Tuned,

Moe in NH

Hey Moe,

I think your right on with your comparison. I own a Shelby GT-H and just bought a vapor GT500 about 3 weeks ago. I debated about s/charging the GT-H but in the end didn't want to alter it being 1 of 500 made. I also chose the the GT500 because the engine was really made to take the extra horsepower. I have to agree with you about the exhaust on the GT500.....it will be the first thing I upgrade along with a tune. I'm not sure if I'll keep the GT500 as I'm not as attached to it as the GT-H. The GT-H is just a FUN car to drive. The 500 is a little more work to drive and just not as nimble. If I keep it I'll eventually upgrade the suspension and probably wheels and tires. Its definately a beast but I think Ford should have done more with the exhaust and suspension.

Good luck with your upgrades on your GT500..... I wonder if I change the exhaust, suspension, and tune If I'd fall in love with it like I have with my GT-H.

SVT

Hey Moe,

I think your right on with your comparison. I own a Shelby GT-H and just bought a vapor GT500 about 3 weeks ago. I debated about s/charging the GT-H but in the end didn't want to alter it being 1 of 500 made. I also chose the the GT500 because the engine was really made to take the extra horsepower. I have to agree with you about the exhaust on the GT500.....it will be the first thing I upgrade along with a tune. I'm not sure if I'll keep the GT500 as I'm not as attached to it as the GT-H. The GT-H is just a FUN car to drive. The 500 is a little more work to drive and just not as nimble. If I keep it I'll eventually upgrade the suspension and probably wheels and tires. Its definately a beast but I think Ford should have done more with the exhaust and suspension.

Good luck with your upgrades on your GT500..... I wonder if I change the exhaust, suspension, and tune If I'd fall in love with it like I have with my GT-H.

SVT

Only 1 way to find out.............................

Archived