TEAM SHELBY FORUM

alarm systems

Go easy on me if this question shows my novice status, but I'm curious to know what additional anti-theft measures (if any) people have added to their cars. When my car gets back from Vegas (still waiting to get there first), I'd hate to think of it being stolen. I've heard of GPS tracking devices being added. "LoJack" is one I researched on-line. The Ford dealer told me about "Skyway" which looks to be similar to an OnStar type of service.

Go easy on me if this question shows my novice status, but I'm curious to know what additional anti-theft measures (if any) people have added to their cars. When my car gets back from Vegas (still waiting to get there first), I'd hate to think of it being stolen. I've heard of GPS tracking devices being added. "LoJack" is one I researched on-line. The Ford dealer told me about "Skyway" which looks to be similar to an OnStar type of service.

Lo jack if it works in your area.

Factory alarm is good. I have after market alarms in my other cars, but could not justify replacing this one. It only lacks the window roll up when your hit arm, so I added Lo jack. Every time I have forgot my sensor, morning or weekend when I pull her out onto the street to clean. They are right on me even if I only move her 10 feet, they know.

O ya forgot, Welcome!

1 French Mastiff

1 German Shepherd - Protection trained

1 9mm

1 mean assed Pug named Chloe

No one will get past all 4.

Lo jack if it works in your area.

Factory alarm is good. I have after market alarms in my other cars, but could not justify replacing this one. It only lacks the window roll up when your hit arm, so I added Lo jack. Every time I have forgot my sensor, morning or weekend when I pull her out onto the street to clean. They are right on me even if I only move her 10 feet, they know.

O ya forgot, Welcome!

Thanks,

The thing I liked about the LoJack was the fact that it's a one-time fee if I understood correctly.

Lojack is cheaper, but it only works where the cops are, and they have to activate it. Meaning, if they steal my car from Alpharetta and drive it to Birmingham, I'm SOL. I may be wrong, but that's what I got out of it. There aren't any "everyday" uses for Lojack, it's pretty useless unless somebody actually steals the car.

The new GPS trackers are fantastic, and several to choose from. I got mine from www.inilex.com. Here's pics of the installation.

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

As you can see, I put mine in the trunk, most people put them under the dash. The nice thing is I can find the car anytime from my PC or phone. I can set it to ring my phone if the car moves. This is what I do when it goes to the dealer (that ain't happening anytime soon, but that's another topic entirely). Nobody's moving that car unless I know about it.

So, if the car is stolen, my phone rings in minutes. I can locate the car, and if it really is stolen, track it real time. That's some pretty good information to give the cops.

There are lots of other features as well. The different vendors use different means of communicating back to the owner, Inilex uses 2-way paging, some use actuall cell phone modules. I like the paging, it's better coverage, and most pagers work well, even under cover. Overall, LoJack just can't compete, this is pretty slick technology.

Lojack is cheaper, but it only works where the cops are, and they have to activate it. Meaning, if they steal my car from Alpharetta and drive it to Birmingham, I'm SOL. I may be wrong, but that's what I got out of it. There aren't any "everyday" uses for Lojack, it's pretty useless unless somebody actually steals the car.

The new GPS trackers are fantastic, and several to choose from. I got mine from www.inilex.com. Here's pics of the installation.

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

As you can see, I put mine in the trunk, most people put them under the dash. The nice thing is I can find the car anytime from my PC or phone. I can set it to ring my phone if the car moves. This is what I do when it goes to the dealer (that ain't happening anytime soon, but that's another topic entirely). Nobody's moving that car unless I know about it.

So, if the car is stolen, my phone rings in minutes. I can locate the car, and if it really is stolen, track it real time. That's some pretty good information to give the cops.

There are lots of other features as well. The different vendors use different means of communicating back to the owner, Inilex uses 2-way paging, some use actuall cell phone modules. I like the paging, it's better coverage, and most pagers work well, even under cover. Overall, LoJack just can't compete, this is pretty slick technology.

Did you do the installation yourself? How difficult? Cost? Thanks

The way lo Jack works is simple.

If your car moves 3 feet without the transmitter, Lo Jack known and notifies you, you then call the police and they track your car down. As I learned after I first got mine this happens very fast.

I'd wake up, still in my pj's grab my keys, open the garage and move my car into the driveway or onto the street. Lo Jack had called and talked to my wife before I made it back into my house.

Lo Jack is not a pay by month or year service, you buy the unit and are free of charge till you sell your car. Then the next person can activate the service or not.

You call Lo Jack buy the unit, they send an installer to your home to install the unit, its that simple and effortless.

The key is; Lo Jack must be able to contact you or up to 5 other people that will make the call for you if you are not available.

You can even have them notify you by cell phone, email or pager.

If you don't have a cell phone or pager and you are on a trip or vacation with your car, you will need to call lo jack and give them your current phone number each time you change hotels etc. - cell phone is easier.

Hope this help.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every system, only you can decide which will work best for you.

If I’m out on a trip I don't want to track down my car, I want the police to do that.

1 French Mastiff

1 9mm

I have a 45 year old body (gaurd) guard named Kimber.

I have a 45 year old body (gaurd) guard named Kimber.

I have INILEX installed in ALL of my vehicles....You cannot beat this tracking.....DOES NOT rely on cell service like LOJACK does......Self Contained Batter Backup so when they disconnect your battery you can still find it up to 7 days......

All real time info, you can set Geo Fences, and a million other cool things...

JW

I have INILEX installed in ALL of my vehicles....You cannot beat this tracking.....DOES NOT rely on cell service like LOJACK does......Self Contained Batter Backup so when they disconnect your battery you can still find it up to 7 days......

JW

Sounds like you really like INILEX I'll check them out, who knows.

JW

Did you do installation yourself? Where did you secure GPS antenna? Any drilling required? Where did you wire in power supply? Thanks

Did you do installation yourself? Where did you secure GPS antenna? Any drilling required? Where did you wire in power supply? Thanks

I have the Inilex as well - that's the pictures posted above. I installed it myself.

Mine is in the trunk (probably won't work for a vert). I used 2" x 4" velcro to stick the unit behind the carpet on the front trunk wall. The GPS antenna is magnetic with a 6' lead, but it's actually just a foot or so away from the unit here. If you drop the seat back you can just reach the antenna through the cutout on the box frame. There's enough room between the metal deck and the carpet, and the antenna sits perfectly in there, with lots of window above.

I ran the hot wire from the cigarette lighter in the console under the back seat to the unit. That was the closest "always on" 12v that I could find. I poked a hole in the carpet under the console and fished it through (only a couple of inches between the console and back seat), so the wire is invisible.

Screwdriver and pliers, tie wraps, and the little chunk of flex tube you see in the picture. No drilling. I stuck a piece of foam in the box frame to hide the coiled up antenna wire and maybe keep it from rattling.

Inilex charges $65 for the installation, so I saved that money.

I'm with Skymedic, I want this on all my cars.

Yea I love my Street Eagle. You can do so much with it and the back-up battery is very cool.

Might end up putting it in my kids cars when they are old enough to drive. great for keeping up with high insurance costs :D

JW

I wonder is this system would work up here in Canada.

I have the Inilex as well - that's the pictures posted above. I installed it myself.

Mine is in the trunk (probably won't work for a vert). I used 2" x 4" velcro to stick the unit behind the carpet on the front trunk wall. The GPS antenna is magnetic with a 6' lead, but it's actually just a foot or so away from the unit here. If you drop the seat back you can just reach the antenna through the cutout on the box frame. There's enough room between the metal deck and the carpet, and the antenna sits perfectly in there, with lots of window above.

I ran the hot wire from the cigarette lighter in the console under the back seat to the unit. That was the closest "always on" 12v that I could find. I poked a hole in the carpet under the console and fished it through (only a couple of inches between the console and back seat), so the wire is invisible.

Screwdriver and pliers, tie wraps, and the little chunk of flex tube you see in the picture. No drilling. I stuck a piece of foam in the box frame to hide the coiled up antenna wire and maybe keep it from rattling.

Inilex charges $65 for the installation, so I saved that money.

I'm with Skymedic, I want this on all my cars.

Thanks for the info.

I have active devices fitted to my Porsches and while the protection is great (as Jim said, move the car without the 'key fob' on you and they'll be on the phone before you get out the driveway), it can be a total pain.

The amount of times my wife jumps in the car to do the school run and I get a call saying that the vehicle is being tracked due to an unauthorized move is getting embarrasing :banghead: As you have to carry a seperate device (key fob) that tells the car it is okay for you to move it, these can be left behind. Some people attach the fob to their keys but in the UK, this can void your insurance and -so hardly ideal!

So while active tracking is great, it can be a pain (I also recently had a call at 4:00am because the wind was blowing so hard it must have triggered the cars - this has only happened once).

Passive tracking is a good option because you don't get false alarms; however, you need to know the car is gone to report it and have the tracking company start the location process. The downside is that if the car has been stolen to order, it is probably already in a container and the tracking device won't work.

You pay your money and you take your chances but I'd say there is yet to be an ideal system created.

Try this company they do charge for yearly service or if you only theft protection it free but you can track the car with internet cell phone, can open doors and disable the starter also invisable fence. I like the cell feature, also battery back up. Cost is eight hundred installed.

http://www.guidepointsystems.com/index.shtml

1 French Mastiff

1 9mm

I have to ask this everytime I see the ridiculous posts about dogs & guns protecting personal property...Did you train the dogs to shoot the 9mm or do YOU have to be there 24/7/365 to shoot the gun? There are ways of getting around "Dogs" when the owner of the 9mm is not home, protection trained or not.

I'm thinking the best alarm is a motion detector that blurts out a loud annoying sound when triggered. I know we all hate those alarms that go off in the parking garage or when someone kicks the tire, but this seems to be the only full proof way of stopping a theif.

Of course they can disconnect the battery so a backup battery would be the way to make it fool/tamper-proof.

I'm thinking the best alarm is a motion detector that blurts out a loud annoying sound when triggered. I know we all hate those alarms that go off in the parking garage or when someone kicks the tire, but this seems to be the only full proof way of stopping a theif.

Of course they can disconnect the battery so a backup battery would be the way to make it fool/tamper-proof.

I might add that the Ford factory Active Anti-Theft system already protects against this up until the battery gets disconnected which is not good enough for me.

- Theif breaks window and alarm begins to sound.(No other way to get under the hood.)

- Theif pops hood and disconnects battery. Alarm sounds for maybe 10 seconds max.

- From this point on, all else that depends on the battery is gone. Period. If no one is around, then he's got all the time in the world to get the car outta there.

The Inilex can be set for "Car in Motion" or "Fence".

So, if your car moves at all, you get a text message. With the "Fence", if it moves out of an area, you get a message. You can actually do more than that, but that's the basics.

So, you could set the fence around your home, and a fence around your work. You'll get a text that you left home, and arrived at work. If you're sitting at the desk, and you get another message, you could (either from your phone or PC) request a "locate", which will pinpoint the location of the car. On the phone, you get a text message with the current address, on the PC you get the point on a map.

If that ain't right, from your phone or PC, you can select "Track" which activates real time tracking, and notifies Inilex that the car is stolen.

When I brought the car to the dealer, I did a locate, and put a 300' fence around it. No messages. When I picked the car up, I got a text message before I got to the first light. Nice to know nobody was joyriding, and even nicer to know that I would have known it if they did, and been on the phone in damn short order.

This is nice. All the information you could possibly want, but no false alarms. I just leave my home fence on all the time, and activate a "quick fence" from the phone if I park somewhere else. The "quick fence" is a once-off single button that you can activate anywhere from your phone or browser.

All in all, very cool stuff.

The way lo Jack works is simple.

If your car moves 3 feet without the transmitter, Lo Jack known and notifies you, you then call the police and they track your car down. As I learned after I first got mine this happens very fast.

I'd wake up, still in my pj's grab my keys, open the garage and move my car into the driveway or onto the street. Lo Jack had called and talked to my wife before I made it back into my house.

Lo Jack is not a pay by month or year service, you buy the unit and are free of charge till you sell your car. Then the next person can activate the service or not.

You call Lo Jack buy the unit, they send an installer to your home to install the unit, its that simple and effortless.

The key is; Lo Jack must be able to contact you or up to 5 other people that will make the call for you if you are not available.

You can even have them notify you by cell phone, email or pager.

If you don't have a cell phone or pager and you are on a trip or vacation with your car, you will need to call lo jack and give them your current phone number each time you change hotels etc. - cell phone is easier.

Hope this help.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every system, only you can decide which will work best for you.

If I’m out on a trip I don't want to track down my car, I want the police to do that.

I agree. I like the Lo Jack. We had it installed in our Shelby, ONLY THE BEST. :happy feet:

Aggie

The Inilex can be set for "Car in Motion" or "Fence".

So, if your car moves at all, you get a text message. With the "Fence", if it moves out of an area, you get a message. You can actually do more than that, but that's the basics.

So, you could set the fence around your home, and a fence around your work. You'll get a text that you left home, and arrived at work. If you're sitting at the desk, and you get another message, you could (either from your phone or PC) request a "locate", which will pinpoint the location of the car. On the phone, you get a text message with the current address, on the PC you get the point on a map.

If that ain't right, from your phone or PC, you can select "Track" which activates real time tracking, and notifies Inilex that the car is stolen.

When I brought the car to the dealer, I did a locate, and put a 300' fence around it. No messages. When I picked the car up, I got a text message before I got to the first light. Nice to know nobody was joyriding, and even nicer to know that I would have known it if they did, and been on the phone in damn short order.

This is nice. All the information you could possibly want, but no false alarms. I just leave my home fence on all the time, and activate a "quick fence" from the phone if I park somewhere else. The "quick fence" is a once-off single button that you can activate anywhere from your phone or browser.

All in all, very cool stuff.

All good and well, but none of it matters if you are not there within 10 minutes to defend your car. I would not rely on notifying the police and expecting them alone to prevent Theft. Within 10 minutes, the theif still has time to load the car in an enclosed trailer which disables tracing the car from that point on.

That leads me to believe that I better rely on scaring the theif with a constant alarm that they can't disable. Even if the theif has the time and gets the car loaded in an enclosed trailer, the alarm is still going off inside the trailer. IMHO, this is the best defense you can provide for your car...relying on others to get the attention of the police. Still not a fool-proof solution, but closer than anything I can think of.

When it comes down to what is fool-proof and what is not, satellite tracking is not enough to rely on. I think the loudest battery-backed alarm is the best all around solution.

Also, if someone is really watching your car, they would probably wait until a large super-cell thunderstorm was in the area to prevent satellite tracking. Then, they don't even need an enclosed trailer to get your vehicle from it's original spot to a shielded spot. Just trying to think like a theif :)

All good and well, but none of it matters if you are not there within 10 minutes to defend your car. I would not rely on notifying the police and expecting them alone to prevent Theft. Within 10 minutes, the theif still has time to load the car in an enclosed trailer which disables tracing the car from that point on.

That leads me to believe that I better rely on scaring the theif with a constant alarm that they can't disable. Even if the theif has the time and gets the car loaded in an enclosed trailer, the alarm is still going off inside the trailer. IMHO, this is the best defense you can provide for your car...relying on others to get the attention of the police. Still not a fool-proof solution, but closer than anything I can think of.

When it comes down to what is fool-proof and what is not, satellite tracking is not enough to rely on. I think the loudest battery-backed alarm is the best all around solution.

Also, if someone is really watching your car, they would probably wait until a large super-cell thunderstorm was in the area to prevent satellite tracking. Then, they don't even need an enclosed trailer to get your vehicle from it's original spot to a shielded spot. Just trying to think like a theif :)

I think we all agree nothing is fool proof except maybe placing a small piece of C-4 under the driver’s seat.

I’ve looked into both the GPS tracking systems. When my two youngest kids get their cars, I may put the Inilex system in their cars.

My daughter because I will be will need to breakout and dust off my shotgun and if my son is anything like I was, holly Shitakie Mushrooms “speed racer” will like an armature.

If they want your car, they will get it and there is not a whole lot you can do if they are professionals.

If they a not then the factory alarm with a GPS system and common sense goes a long way.

Alarms aren’t good if you can’t here them or like you said get to your car before the deed is done, GPS can be disabled; C-4 is FOOL PROOF…

I have to ask this everytime I see the ridiculous posts about dogs & guns protecting personal property...Did you train the dogs to shoot the 9mm or do YOU have to be there 24/7/365 to shoot the gun? There are ways of getting around "Dogs" when the owner of the 9mm is not home, protection trained or not.

There are ways around anything if you try hard enough. The point is to make it more difficult than it's worth.

My dogs take down anyone they don't know and feel is a threat. Last time it was the Ozarka delivery guy. Kissy (the mastiff) had him down and the german shepherd was right in his face barking at him while he was down. If he was to get up, she would knock him down again. He never made it 10 ft up the driveway. Luckily for him my wife was home at the time to give the shepherd the safe word. Otherwise he would have never made it out of the yard until that command was given.

So there is your answer to the "ridiculous posts about dogs and guns". I also have 12 video cameras and a security system in place. All of it on redundancy and battery backups. I have 14 days of DVR setup on each camera and can view the cameras anywhere in the world with internet. I also live in a gated neighborhood and a gated 4.6 acre yard. The subdivision also has 4 camera's posted on it's front gates. My security is sufficient.

There are ways around anything if you try hard enough. The point is to make it more difficult than it's worth.

My dogs take down anyone they don't know and feel is a threat. Last time it was the Ozarka delivery guy. Kissy (the mastiff) had him down and the german shepherd was right in his face barking at him while he was down. If he was to get up, she would knock him down again. He never made it 10 ft up the driveway. Luckily for him my wife was home at the time to give the shepherd the safe word. Otherwise he would have never made it out of the yard until that command was given.

So there is your answer to the "ridiculous posts about dogs and guns". I also have 12 video cameras and a security system in place. All of it on redundancy and battery backups. I have 14 days of DVR setup on each camera and can view the cameras anywhere in the world with internet. I also live in a gated neighborhood and a gated 4.6 acre yard. The subdivision also has 4 camera's posted on it's front gates. My security is sufficient.

I only have 9 cameras on mine, but I have 30 days of video...Do you have cellular back-up on your security system?

Archived