TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm going for the GT500 spoiler..

After seeing quite a few SGTs at Knott's with the spoiler, I am going for it. Normally, I am not a spoiler kinda guy, although the GT500 spoiler just looks fantastic on the SGTs.

I know some of you guys/gals on here have the spoilers, so, where did you buy them, and how hard is it to install one?

Any advice would be great!

I might be able to have my buddy make stripes at his graphics shop.. we'll see.

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm.. not a bad price, although I wonder how much it will cost to have it painted..

I just installed my GT500 spoiler yesterday, purchased it from spoilerexpress.com for $126.00 and change delivered AND painted to match my Vista Blue Shelby GT...two holes drilled into the trunk and remove the backing from the double sided tape and she's installed! If I can do it, anyone can do it...I've ordered my stripes from Graphics Express for just shy of $50.00 delivered...

post-19184-1210211872.jpg

post-19184-1210211872.jpg

Hmmm.. not a bad price, although I wonder how much it will cost to have it painted..

I had the GT 500 spoiler added to my SGT. I would strongly recommend that you buy an original Ford part and not the aftermarket "GT 500 Style" spoilers being offered on the internet. The fit is perfect and is fairly simple to install. You will have to drill 4 holes in your trunk lid. About any local body shop will paint it as it is a simple job. I took the opportunity to also have the horrible vinyl stripes removed and painted on using a OEM Ford 1998 Mustang metallic silver paint code. Besides Shelby sales, there are several vendors on Ebay selling Original OEM Ford GT-500 spoilers, will cost between $190-$260, but well worth the extra dollars over the aftermarket stuff. Then of course when you're having all of this work done to your car you may want to consider adding the CS6 "Hertz" hood which eliminates all of the warping hood scoop issues on the stock hood. When you're all done with this you will have a rather unique car and can say all of the modifications were done with original Shelby parts. I know I'm going to sound like a Shelby salesperson but, I would buy as many parts from Shelby as possible as when you sell the car you can retain all invoices/packaging etc from Shelby and include it in the sell. There will be a time when these parts will go away and using original Shelby and Ford parts always pays off in the long run. Also, my user ID 0007GTH will soon change as I have sold that car and am now own a brand new SGT. Hope this helps

You might want to buy a shelby style wing from Ford accessories instead of Ford Racing same wing however the one from Ford Racing has no template if you are going to do this yourself. I had to make my own template with the Ford Racing wing.

I got mine from the spoiler store on ebay for $130 painted. It looks good, but I probably should have sent it back since the paint job is a little weak. I doubt anyone else would care, but it could be better. I got the stripes from SPP and had someone install them. I am sure there are good painted options out there without the hastle of going to a paint shop. Mine called for four holes, but I only did two. The other two holes were near the outer edge and would have required drilling through two layers of metal. It seemed that the sides didn't stick down as well without the extra two screws. I clamped the sides down and it seems OK. The installation is pretty simple.

• 7 months later...
I had the GT 500 spoiler added to my SGT. I would strongly recommend that you buy an original Ford part and not the aftermarket "GT 500 Style" spoilers being offered on the internet. The fit is perfect and is fairly simple to install. You will have to drill 4 holes in your trunk lid. About any local body shop will paint it as it is a simple job. I took the opportunity to also have the horrible vinyl stripes removed and painted on using a OEM Ford 1998 Mustang metallic silver paint code. Besides Shelby sales, there are several vendors on Ebay selling Original OEM Ford GT-500 spoilers, will cost between $190-$260, but well worth the extra dollars over the aftermarket stuff. Then of course when you're having all of this work done to your car you may want to consider adding the CS6 "Hertz" hood which eliminates all of the warping hood scoop issues on the stock hood. When you're all done with this you will have a rather unique car and can say all of the modifications were done with original Shelby parts. I know I'm going to sound like a Shelby salesperson but, I would buy as many parts from Shelby as possible as when you sell the car you can retain all invoices/packaging etc from Shelby and include it in the sell. There will be a time when these parts will go away and using original Shelby and Ford parts always pays off in the long run. Also, my user ID 0007GTH will soon change as I have sold that car and am now own a brand new SGT. Hope this helps

+1 I couldn't agree more! Spend the extar $ and buy the OE GT500 spoiler that uses four mounting holes, which will be located same as any S197 with a factory wing. Besides the superior quality, the fit will be perfect! The aftermarket GT500 wings will lift when attached using only the two holes, even with the best 3M tape. I've experienced all this firsthand on my previous stang (2005 GT). -Steve

+1 I couldn't agree more! Spend the extar $ and buy the OE GT500 spoiler that uses four mounting holes, which will be located same as any S197 with a factory wing. Besides the superior quality, the fit will be perfect! The aftermarket GT500 wings will lift when attached using only the two holes, even with the best 3M tape. I've experienced all this firsthand on my previous stang (2005 GT). -Steve

Coming up on 2 years and still no lift on an "after-market" GT500 spoiler that was painted to match for $150. If you want to spend the extra coin go ahead but at this time I really see no real difference. I'll post if something ever goes wrong with it-

Coming up on 2 years and still no lift on an "after-market" GT500 spoiler that was painted to match for $150. If you want to spend the extra coin go ahead but at this time I really see no real difference. I'll post if something ever goes wrong with it-

I'm with you Swedeman...no problems with mine either...I guess if you want the practice on drilling holes in your trunk lid, go ahead and get the OE spoiler, but two holes will work just fine...

I chose to go with the GT spoiler, I am now considering changing. Can somone post pics of the holes that are drilled so I can see if the location of the holes I already have will work for 2 of the holes?

I have a GT and I replaced the GT spoiler with a GT500 spoiler and both use the same mounting holes.

In addition, there are 2 different GT500 spoiler parts - one is a kit that comes with a template and instructions; the other is just the spoiler.

I used the kit but because the holes were already drilled, I could have used the spoiler only. It comes with the 3M pressure tape already installed in the correct spots. It is a bare grey plastic part and will have to be painted.

I just have a GT - well it's a little more than a GT :happy feet: - but I don't have stripes...yet. :hysterical:

Archived