TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pins

I would love to receive any help here from fellow Super Snake Hood owners, mainly about hood pins for the Super Snake Hood.

I would like to find more info on the types of pins used, installation tips, pictures where mounted on and under the hood.

I'm just worried that the hood will one day fly off and want to be on the safe side, the hood does flutter somewhat at over 50 mph. I used to own a 1970 W30 442 with a factory fiberglass hood and even that had factory hood pins.

Also what have others done with their windshield squirters? I know there is a wiper installation kit out there, anyone done this?

post-12167-1210125643.jpg

post-12167-1210125643.jpg

Here ya go:

th_031408015.jpg

th_031408014.jpg

Remove the rubber outer (nearest the fenders) hood bumpers that are located on the radiator core support and install the hood pins in their place. If the hood pin kit that you are using does not come with a templete of where to drill the holes, you can try this: Cover the tips of the pins with a small piece of masking tape and using a Billiard/Pool cue chalker, chalk the tips of the taped hood pins. Slowly close the hood down of top of the pins with just enough pressure to transfer some blue chalk to the underside of the hood. That's just one easy way that I've used to determine where holes need to be drilled in a hood.

Good luck.

Here ya go:

th_031408015.jpg

th_031408014.jpg

Remove the rubber outer (nearest the fenders) hood bumpers that are located on the radiator core support and install the hood pins in their place. If the hood pin kit that you are using does not come with a templete of where to drill the holes, you can try this: Cover the tips of the pins with a small piece of masking tape and using a Billiard/Pool cue chalker, chalk the tips of the taped hood pins. Slowly close the hood down of top of the pins with just enough pressure to transfer some blue chalk to the underside of the hood. That's just one easy way that I've used to determine where holes need to be drilled in a hood.

Good luck.

Thanks mate :)

aren't those a too far in though for the SS hood because of the nostrils? are those on your GT500 hood?

post-12167-1210157979.jpg

post-12167-1210157997.jpg

Heres the best one I have found so far. I will keeping looking to see if I can find one from under the hood.

michael morris

IMG_0281.jpg

IMHO, the Shelby hood pin kit linked below would look great on the SS. I am told the hood contour is different, and these black plates will not fit the SS hood properly. I am going to buy a set and work on the back side of the aluminum and see if I can create an acceptable fit to the SS hood contour.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/SQLC...arge/100845.jpg

R

IMHO, the Shelby hood pin kit linked below would look great on the SS. I am told the hood contour is different, and these black plates will not fit the SS hood properly. I am going to buy a set and work on the back side of the aluminum and see if I can create an acceptable fit to the SS hood contour.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/SQLC...arge/100845.jpg

R

I suppose that's why all you see in the SS pics are the cheap flat looking hood pins because of the contours.

Those are pics of his GO SS convertible. Those are where the hood pins are located on the SS.

michael morris

Oh really! Are there any pics of the top of the hood and of pins that were used?

By the way guys thanks for all the help so far... :shift:

Thanks mate :)

aren't those a too far in though for the SS hood because of the nostrils? are those on your GT500 hood?

No, my car is a Super Snake. Those pins were installed by Shelby during the converson.

Oh really! Are there any pics of the top of the hood and of pins that were used?

By the way guys thanks for all the help so far... :shift:

Other than the Michael having the slower color painted on his hood, both of our hoods are the same (except mine is faster) :hysterical: . I/we would recommend that you purchase the hood pin kit from Shelby Performance Parts, as those are the pins that were installed on our cars during the SS converson.

I have driven my car alittle without the pins in and I didnt like it. I kept thinking that the monster scoops were going to cause the latch to fail.

I would put them on if I were you.

michael morris

Dont mind SGT hes upset that RED is the fastest SS color.

well great answers guys, I will look at the SPP catalogue and see if I can find the pins you are talking about.

By the way, faster or not the SS look is awsome in any colour I've seen till now.

I believe this is the SS conversion hood pin kit............

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...0pin%20kit.aspx

and then this kit which I am going to attempt to fit to my SS hood once the conversion is completed.

Compare the difference in "look" and hardware. Since the stripes and heat extractors are black, this black hood pin kit would be a nice item, if they can be "messaged" on the bottom side to fit the contour of the SS hood.

R

I believe this is the SS conversion hood pin kit............

and then this kit which I am going to attempt to fit to my SS hood once the conversion is completed.

Compare the difference in "look" and hardware. Since the stripes and heat extractors are black, this black hood pin kit would be a nice item, if they can be "messaged" on the bottom side to fit the contour of the SS hood.

R

they look cheap and nasty, I like the look of the ones you're gonna put on better.

they look cheap and nasty, I like the look of the ones you're gonna put on better.

Yes, I feel that I can safely speak for every SS owner on this....we all agree that the installed hood pins could/should be better, and odds are most of us will end up changing ours to the optional set, at least I plan to at one point or another.

Cheap and nasty..............., functional. The SS hood, like the KR hood are contoured differently than the regular mass produced hoods. The KR gets the nice twist locks because Ford wanted them as part of that unique package retro'ing back to 1968. The 1967 SS on the other hand, if I remember correctly, had the hood pin set up like the version that is being installed on the current Super Snakes. The Shelby GT has the alum. billitt set of hood pins, like the black ones I have linked, but their hood is more of a stock Mustang GT contour. There is no "optional" hood pin kit, that I know of for the SS hood. If these black hood pins were to be directly installed on the fiberglass SS hood, they would probably stress the hood in this pin area and eventually cause cracking.

It will required some time on a belt sander, or with some other tool that can re-contour the bottom side of the aluminum to get them to fit properly on the SS hood, with no stress points.<<<Not to mention that the four holes that were originally drilled in the fiberglass hood at SAI for the stainless hood pin kit will most likely not match the black aluminum kit to get the "Shelby" logo in the correct position facing front. So, additional holes will have to be drilled, or existing holes modified. These aluminum hood pins also come in natural aluminum color.

R

Cheap and nasty..............., functional. The SS hood, like the KR hood are contoured differently than the regular mass produced hoods. The KR gets the nice twist locks because Ford wanted them as part of that unique package retro'ing back to 1968. The 1967 SS on the other hand, if I remember correctly, had the hood pin set up like the version that is being installed on the current Super Snakes. The Shelby GT has the alum. billitt set of hood pins, like the black ones I have linked, but their hood is more of a stock Mustang GT contour. There is no "optional" hood pin kit, that I know of for the SS hood. If these black hood pins were to be directly installed on the fiberglass SS hood, they would probably stress the hood in this pin area and eventually cause cracking.

It will required some time on a belt sander, or with some other tool that can re-contour the bottom side of the aluminum to get them to fit properly on the SS hood, with no stress points.<<<Not to mention that the four holes that were originally drilled in the fiberglass hood at SAI for the stainless hood pin kit will most likely not match the black aluminum kit to get the "Shelby" logo in the correct position facing front. So, additional holes will have to be drilled, or existing holes modified. These aluminum hood pins also come in natural aluminum color.

R

Well now I'm having second thoughts on whether to put any on or not...thanks Robert for the info.

Mike or Son or anyone with SS, does your hood pins say Super Snake on them and are they billet?

Thanks!!

Also can we get a close up pic?

Thanks Again!

No, they are just the flat, stainless steel plates, no logo.

With respect to Robert M's post... Robert, there are optional, generic billet hood pins that are sold through SPP, and they were designed specifically to replace the "base model" pins that we all recieve on our SS packages as well as on the 2007 SGT's. The replacement or "optional" billet hood pins mate up perfectly with the exsisting holes, and do not require any modification to the hood what so ever. And like the original pins, they are also adjustable so there is no issue of any additional stress being put upon the fiberglass that surrounds the pins.

The only restriction that SPP and SAI have with purchasing the optional pins is that only 2008 SGT owners can purchase the pins that have SHELBY GT engraved on them. 2007 SGT owners can only purchase the generic pins that only have SHELBY engraved on them. The black pins are also generic, and they were produced for those who own SGTH model cars, although anyone with a black car can purchase and install them if they wish.

Hope this clears up any confusion about this matter.

So Son, let's see if I got this right... I can get the black ones as an option on my Black SS?

Thanks!

You can't get them installed during the conversion, but you can purchase them from SPP and install them yourself after your car comes back to you SS'ed. For clarity, when I say that the billet pins are "optional" what I mean is that they are an optional, owner installed part to the standard pins that are on the SS, 40th, and 2007 SGT cars. The 2008 SGT cars have the SHELBY GT billet pins installed on them as standard items. Will SPP offer billet pins that have Super Snake on them? I'd love it if they did, but I don't believe that they have any plans to make any at this time. Perhaps if enough SS owners asked, SAI might say yes and make them in the future.

And as I stated in my other post, any replacement billet pins that you can buy from SPP are designed to directly install in place of the Stainless Steel pins without any modification.

So these are the ones you have installed on your Super Snake, Son?

post-12167-1210274939.jpg

post-12167-1210274976.jpg

Yes, but you don't have to use the two small black mounting plates unless you are going to install the pins on a SGT or a stock GT500 hood. On a GT500 with a SS hood, you just install the pins in the same place that the two outboard rubber hood bumpers are mounted now.

Because of the way the plates are screwed in the hood on my car I would have to REDRILL to make the alum plates work. The screws on my plate are like a compass. One screw at each point of the compass (N,S,E,W) and to make the alum line up correctly they need to be drilled at NE,SE,SW,NW. I hope that make sense to yall. Im sure not if all SSs are this way or just mine. If I redrill the holes you wouldnt be able to see the old holes and fiberglass dont rust. Not really a problem, but mines not going to be plug and play :banghead:

michael morris

Archived