TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Scary Dealer Service

I complained long ago about the dealer where I purchased my car did not have the correct oil in stock. Twice. We won't be going back there.

On the way home from the Birthday Bash, I stopped in Scottsdale and got excellent service for the car, I believe from Power Ford. Reaffirmed my somewhat shaky faith in dealerships.

Getting my Sirius radio fixed (it's been four months) yesterday, it was time for an oil change. I already knew they had the correct oil, because it is available in the parts department, so I asked them to do the change. I picked up the car today. At least the radio worked.

$35.

I said, "I beg your pardon? $35?"

"Well, it would have been cheaper, but the Shelby requires 6 quarts of oil."

....um.....not what I wanted to hear.

Sure enough, they poured in 6 quarts of plain old 5w-20.

I made it really, really clear, that they could keep the car until they put the right oil in it. The service rep disappeared for about 10 minutes, and came back and told me the service manager said he'd never heard of any special oil requirements for the 5.4L, so he looked it up (probably to prove me wrong).

Ahem. So, they put the correct oil and the correct filter in the car while I waited.

The ultra scary part is the rep told me the service manager then printed up a memo and gave it to all the mechanics, and posted it, so that it would not happen again. Since this particular dealer has sold several GT500's, I suspect other GT500 owners here in Alpharetta have been paying $35 for oil changes, and thinking they're getting a great deal.

I got the original receipt with the 5w-20, and had the service rep note in the vehicle history that the dealer inadvertently put in the wrong oil, in case there are any warrany disputes in the future. They made me pay the $35, instead of the $89 it was supposed to be.

Well, there's a big whack on the side of the head to remind me why I work on my own cars....

If they sold several GT500's then they should have at least one mechanic that was certified to work on this car. They should only use that mechanic. That mechanic should KNOW what oil is required!

Another problem with having a limited production like the GT500. They are so far and few between that a lot of dealers are clueless about what these require. You as the consumer need to stay on top of everything. As sad as that may be, it is just reality.

It's such a simple job that mechanics can get too complacent doing it. And routine says to put 5W20 in it just like the hundreds of 4.6L Mustangs they routinely service. Here are just a few additional problems I have encountered with dealers doing oil changes on my cars:

1. Oil Filter too tight

2. Drain Plug too tight

3. Over-filled oil level

This is why I do my own oil changes.

As I don't have my GT500 yet what is the oil requirements on a GT500???

The only two that I know of are the Motorola 5w-50 Full Synthetic, or the Castrol Syntec 5w-50.

Oil specifications (the Castrol is the only non-Ford one that meets the spec) and filter are clearly explained in the GT500 supplement.

The important thing is that this oil was developed for this engine on the Ford GT. It apparently has special needs, and running different oil will void your engine warranty.

I buy the filter at the dealer - from what I've heard, some of the high-end aftermarkets may cause problems at high-HP because they filter TOO well and may impede flow - and I get the Castol at Advance Auto. Normally, I have a good, known, mechanic change it for me, and I bring him the oil and filter.

Also, in other posts here, I've heard that the 6-1/2 quart number is to be believed, and do NOT put in 7 quarts. As I understand it, 6-1/2 qts. of cold oil does not fill the sump to the top mark on the dipstick. If you fill it to the top, when it heats up the oil can be frothed by the crankshaft and cause problems, again, predominately at high-HP.

That's just a synopsis, search this site for oil related threads, and you'll be reading for days.

It's such a simple job that mechanics can get too complacent doing it. And routine says to put 5W20 in it just like the hundreds of 4.6L Mustangs they routinely service. Here are just a few additional problems I have encountered with dealers doing oil changes on my cars:

1. Oil Filter too tight

2. Drain Plug too tight

3. Over-filled oil level

This is why I do my own oil changes.

+1

I actually enjoy doing my own oil changes. Maybe it's peace of mind, instead of the stress a dealeship causes.

I complained long ago about the dealer where I purchased my car did not have the correct oil in stock. Twice. We won't be going back there.

On the way home from the Birthday Bash, I stopped in Scottsdale and got excellent service for the car, I believe from Power Ford. Reaffirmed my somewhat shaky faith in dealerships.

Getting my Sirius radio fixed (it's been four months) yesterday, it was time for an oil change. I already knew they had the correct oil, because it is available in the parts department, so I asked them to do the change. I picked up the car today. At least the radio worked.

$35.

I said, "I beg your pardon? $35?"

"Well, it would have been cheaper, but the Shelby requires 6 quarts of oil."

....um.....not what I wanted to hear.

Sure enough, they poured in 6 quarts of plain old 5w-20.

I made it really, really clear, that they could keep the car until they put the right oil in it. The service rep disappeared for about 10 minutes, and came back and told me the service manager said he'd never heard of any special oil requirements for the 5.4L, so he looked it up (probably to prove me wrong).

Ahem. So, they put the correct oil and the correct filter in the car while I waited.

The ultra scary part is the rep told me the service manager then printed up a memo and gave it to all the mechanics, and posted it, so that it would not happen again. Since this particular dealer has sold several GT500's, I suspect other GT500 owners here in Alpharetta have been paying $35 for oil changes, and thinking they're getting a great deal.

I got the original receipt with the 5w-20, and had the service rep note in the vehicle history that the dealer inadvertently put in the wrong oil, in case there are any warrany disputes in the future. They made me pay the $35, instead of the $89 it was supposed to be.

Well, there's a big whack on the side of the head to remind me why I work on my own cars....

Was that 5w-20 mineral oil or synthetic oil? If they put in good old mineral 5w-20 & ran it then there could be some mineral oil still in there . Synthetic & mineral oil s don`t mix.

It was mineral oil, and no, I didn't watch. I had to take a walk.

At some point, I may need these guys for warranty work - for instance, the radio that was the real reason the car was there to begin with. I wasn't really fit company to be talking to anybody I wanted to remain friendly with.

I gotta admit, right now I'm not inclined to go back for any reason. I might just go look up Michael Morris and see how far he is from here.

As far as mixing oil, I don't think there is any problem mixing mineral and synthetics. I was more concerned with actually running the engine. However, it is warm here, and the car never went off the lot (there's a GPS anti-theft in the car, and I set it), so I think the possibility of damage is nil. A few starts isn't going to hurt anything, I hope. That's why I kept the original receipt, to demonstrate that it was dealer error if there's ever a question. I will check the filter part #, though, to make sure it's the right one.

Was that 5w-20 mineral oil or synthetic oil? If they put in good old mineral 5w-20 & ran it then there could be some mineral oil still in there . Synthetic & mineral oil s don`t mix.

Not true - says right on the Motocraft 5W50 bottle - "Compatible with other synthetic or petroleum based formulations."

The only two that I know of are the Motorola 5w-50 Full Synthetic, or the Castrol Syntec 5w-50.

Oil specifications (the Castrol is the only non-Ford one that meets the spec) and filter are clearly explained in the GT500 supplement.

Technically Castrol Syntech meets/exceeds 5W50, API SM/CF and Ford WSS-M2C931-A, but it does not claim to be compliant with Ford WSS-M2C931-B, which is what's recommended for the GT500.

There's no real difference between the WSS-M2C931-A and WSS-M2C931-B, I heard it is an EPA rating. It could be that Castrol just didn't pay the EPA for the rating, I don't think there's any difference in the oil.

The -A is what is recommended in the Ford GT, the -B in the GT500. Same engine (except for the aluminum block).

Anyway, last time I looked, Castrol was the only commonly available oil that met the spec.

I do my own oil changes and used the Castrol Syntec at the 800 mile mark. I plan to do oil changes every 3000 miles in this car. I know i can go at a longer mileage interval but i like treating the car.

The car will only go to a dealer for warranty work or a yearly safety/emissions inspection. I'll have them do the "Airbag recall" when i bring it in in December for the inspection.

Not true - says right on the Motocraft 5W50 bottle - "Compatible with other synthetic or petroleum based formulations."

I've seen blended oils in the auto parts stores.

I too plan on never letting any dealership service my car. What's wrong with using Royal Purple Synthetic in the GT500 if it meets SAE standards? Someone educate me.

I've seen blended oils in the auto parts stores.

I too plan on never letting any dealership service my car. What's wrong with using Royal Purple Synthetic in the GT500 if it meets SAE standards? Someone educate me.

I've been reading some bad things about royal purple from people that do a lot of oil testing.Word is the additive package is completely deleted by the 4K mark.I would do some research on Royal Purple before I used it.

My biggest concern about using Royal Purple or any other non-spec oil (remember, the Castrol and Motorcraft are the only two) is "what if".

What if you needed engine warranty work? Although these are great engines, they are all still pretty new, and I've heard of more than one that needed something.

The wrong oil, even if it's backed by the manufacturer, is going to mean you have to deal with the oil manufacturer AND Ford to get the work paid for. I don't want the hassle, I can get the either the Castrol or Motorcraft as easy as any other oil. It's not like it's crappy oil or anything. I'd have to see some real benefit before I was tempted to switch.

Come on guys, This is how Ford motor company wants your 50k car serviced.... Hire the just out of school kid and pay him peanuts to change oil and maint work...So they can screw up your car and make the dealer and all the other mechanics that really fix cars and trucks for a living look like complete a$$'s...I suggest you call Ford direct and complain about this strategy..

I don't trust a oil manufacturer that adds coloring to it's oil.

What would we do on St. Patrick's Day? Oil coloring is great fun at times, and despite what the hippie VW bus drivers tell you, it is not unhealthy. Some older cars may belch some green smoke when they start up, but that just stem leakage, which happens to a lot of mature cars.

Good points. I asked to be educated for two reasons:

1. I saw a Horsepower TV tour of the Royal Purple plant which showed their testing and purity standards. I was pretty impressed. I've never heard of Castrol or Motorcraft testing like this.

2. Seems I see it a lot of it around performance vehicles.

I want to put the absolute best in my car.

As far as the warranty: How can they tell who manufactured the oil after it's been put in the engine? They can claim anything after the fact to fight against having to do an expensive warranty repair, right? How does one prove either the brand or the frequency of oil changes?

It is a scary situation and I recomend that all owners be diligent with there cars when at a Ford store. Ford dealerships arent here to purposely screw something up .... but they are human and they do make mistakes.

I am very careful on who I let work on my car at my store and am very diligent when a friend brings his shelby to our store

Archived